Rank Order List [2012-2013]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cons: I was threatened to be stabbed while leaving the pre-interview dinner.

Seriously? Cause im pretty sure that would make me think really hard before ranking it.... unless of course your just exaggerating to prove how bad the city is?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Highland
2) Denver
3) UCSF-Fresno
4) University of Arizona
5) Detroit Receiving
6) Mayo Clinic
7) Rochester (NY)

Rest in no particular order: Summa Akron, Kalamazoo (WMU), SLU, Staten Island, Allegheny, Morristown, Sinai-Grace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are all the Northeast people? I see a lot of SDNers ranking West Coast and the South, but very few rank lists have northeast programs on them. Come on now, don't be shy. :p Let's see some northeast ROLs.

Seriously? Cause im pretty sure that would make me think really hard before ranking it.... unless of course your just exaggerating to prove how bad the city is?

I wish I was joking. Maybe not threatened, more like almost stabbed. Apparently I don't know the etiquette for walking on the sidewalk. He said he decided not to stab me when he looked at me and I clearly "didn't know what the **** I was doing". I tried to make light of the situation but he just kept yelling. I was legitimately scared. At least now I know to alert people when I pass them while walking on the sidewalk. :rolleyes:

But, you can get stabbed in any city. And living there for three years would be better than not being an emergency medicine physician.

MAJOR UPDATE:

There have been several suggestions to organize the spreadsheet in a more "statistically relevant" and less subjective way to make it more useful for this class and for people in the future. As I aim to please, this has been done--the admittedly brilliant "POWER SCORE" is no more. It will be missed.

It was decided that the only really statistically significant categories are the mean ROL ranking and the percentage of the interview class that has answered the survey (as a measure of confidence in the spreadsheet; i.e., the more people from any program's interview class that have contributed, the more confident we can be in the ROL average). The spreadsheet is now sorted by ROL program average, with a column next to the mean stating the percentage of the interview class for an individual program has participated in the spreadsheet (I pulled the actual interview #s from FREIDA from last year). For programs that did not list their interview #s on FREIDA, I estimated based on the average interviews/position of the programs that did post their info (which averaged 12 interviews per spot). The more people that post their ROLs, the higher the confidence in the mean will be. This should make the information more relevant to next year's class.

Certain programs already have almost 15% of their entire interview class represented, which I think is pretty cool!

To keep it interesting, I added a column that projects the number of people that theoretically have ranked a particular program first based on the current info in the spreadsheet. This of course is the single number that would be the coolest to know. The higher percentage of a program's interviewees that participate, the closer that projection will be to reality.

If you have ranked a program that doesn't have a lot of rankings yet, please PM me your list or post it on the ROL thread!

Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnzZUifXW_SgdHZobW5UbUpzMEZuQmNPNnB3enAyS3c#gid=0

Let's keep any discussion of the spreadsheet in the dedicated thread--just wanted to update the ROL thread of the new compilation format.

Projected total of number 1 ranks? Hmm..

Where are all the Northeast people? I see a lot of SDNers ranking West Coast and the South, but very few rank lists have northeast programs on them. Come on now, don't be shy. :p Let's see some northeast ROLs.

I'm going with the assumption that nobody else applied and I am the only one.

MAJOR UPDATE:

There have been several suggestions to organize the spreadsheet in a more "statistically relevant" and less subjective way to make it more useful for this class and for people in the future. As I aim to please, this has been done--the admittedly brilliant "POWER SCORE" is no more. It will be missed.

It was decided that the only really statistically significant categories are the mean ROL ranking and the percentage of the interview class that has answered the survey (as a measure of confidence in the spreadsheet; i.e., the more people from any program's interview class that have contributed, the more confident we can be in the ROL average). The spreadsheet is now sorted by ROL program average, with a column next to the mean stating the percentage of the interview class for an individual program has participated in the spreadsheet (I pulled the actual interview #s from FREIDA from last year). For programs that did not list their interview #s on FREIDA, I estimated based on the average interviews/position of the programs that did post their info (which averaged 12 interviews per spot). The more people that post their ROLs, the higher the confidence in the mean will be. This should make the information more relevant to next year's class.

Certain programs already have almost 15% of their entire interview class represented, which I think is pretty cool!

To keep it interesting, I added a column that projects the number of people that theoretically have ranked a particular program first based on the current info in the spreadsheet. This of course is the single number that would be the coolest to know. The higher percentage of a program's interviewees that participate, the closer that projection will be to reality.

If you have ranked a program that doesn't have a lot of rankings yet, please PM me your list or post it on the ROL thread!

Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnzZUifXW_SgdHZobW5UbUpzMEZuQmNPNnB3enAyS3c#gid=0

Let's keep any discussion of the spreadsheet in the dedicated thread--just wanted to update the ROL thread of the new compilation format.

Seriously dude get yourself some sort of hobby. This saga is a wee bit sad.

Seriously dude get yourself some sort of hobby. This saga is a wee bit sad.

Actually, considering the number of anonymous ROLs I get sent to me every day (at least 20) with thanks for compiling the information, and the number of times the sheet has been viewed (over 2500 now) clearly people are interested in this information (and it's just a compilation now, there's no more "program rankings"--which is clearly relevant to a ROL thread). Don't worry, I do plenty of other things with my time. Just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't.

Fine though, i won't post on this thread anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DO applicant, USMLE 225/227, COMLEX 540/470. 3 EM aways - 1 Honors, 2 High Pass. Applied to 62 programs, 4 interviews. Probably should have applied to at least a few DO programs, talked myself into thinking that because my usmle scores were better than my comlex, acgme made sense. Would be thrilled to match at any of these places. Good luck everyone, 16 days!

1. SUNY Downstate
2. Beth Israel NY
3. Staten Island
4. Sinai-Grace

As usual, the only "saga" around here is people trying to belittle others, through the magic shield of the interwebs.

If you wanna post about intermittently in here, it sure doesnt bother me. The fact that is significantly more rankings on it makes it an interesting, if ultimately flawed, tool

DO applicant, USMLE 225/227, COMLEX 540/470. 3 EM aways - 1 Honors, 2 High Pass. Applied to 62 programs, 4 interviews. Probably should have applied to at least a few DO programs, talked myself into thinking that because my usmle scores were better than my comlex, acgme made sense. Would be thrilled to match at any of these places. Good luck everyone, 16 days!

1. SUNY Downstate
2. Beth Israel NY
3. Staten Island
4. Sinai-Grace

Hmmm im surprised you didnt get more interviews. There a red flag somewhere?

As usual, the only "saga" around here is people trying to belittle others, through the magic shield of the interwebs.

If you wanna post about intermittently in here, it sure doesnt bother me. The fact that is significantly more rankings on it makes it an interesting, if ultimately flawed, tool

I agree with vick.

Hmmm im surprised you didnt get more interviews. There a red flag somewhere?

No red flags on my transcript, no gaps, I asked my school if any of my SLORs had anything bad in them them that I needed to address when reaching out to programs, they said no. My only guess is that the place I rotated in September took 6 weeks to send my SLOR. So until November 12, I only had one. In hindsight, I should have tried to get two letters from my August rotation.

1. UF-Gainesville
2. Palmetto
3. MUSC
4. ORMC
5. UVA
6. UNM
7. UT Houston
8. Emory
9. UF-Jax
10. Florida Hospital
11. Christiana
12. Medical College of Georgia
13. VCU

Seems like more people are opting to have their ROL put into the spreadsheet...sortof a bummer, I liked reading them.

Seems like more people are opting to have their ROL put into the spreadsheet...sortof a bummer, I liked reading them.

I agree that if people don't mind, post them on this thread (I will still add the data to the spreadsheet).

Most of the ROLs I have gotten by PM are from people who aren't comfortable posting theirs online.

side note, but it'd be interesting what people believe is the percentage of EM applicants who frequent/lurk/visit this site...Honestly, I'd say it's pretty low...maybe 15%...guess I could go has high as 20%??? maybe, which I guess is actually kind of high.

side note, but it'd be interesting what people believe is the percentage of EM applicants who frequent/lurk/visit this site...Honestly, I'd say it's pretty low...maybe 15%...guess I could go has high as 20%??? maybe, which I guess is actually kind of high.

I'd say that's a fair estimate...

do student low 240's step 1 / low 250's step 2 comlex between 620-650 on both ..
first and only post i'll ever do.
I hate alot of people on the site but thought i would share for future students b/c i did use the site even tho i hate it.
1. methodist
2. nyhq
3. maimonides
4. east virginia
5. kawiie delta
6. metropolitan
7. buffalo
8. brooklyn
9. wayne state- sinai grace

Last edited:
MD student, USMLE 209/249, 2EM rotations, HP and H, 47 applications, 11 interviews.

I also have a love/hate relationship with this site, but decided to post anyway since I did spend a lot of time on here. My takeaway from SDN: take everything with a grain of salt, don't read too much into posts, and most of all DON'T FREAK OUT. Medical students freak out way too much.

1. University of Washington
2. University of New Mexico
3. University of Arizona
4. Albany Medical Center
5. University of Wisconsin
6. Carillion Clinic
7. Dartmouth
8. Maimonides
9. MSU/Sparrow Hospital
10. Detroit Receiving
11. Sinai Grace

2 more weeks! Getting exciting now.

Please-sir-may-i-have-some-more-puppies-13464100-500-553.jpg

MOAR rank lists please

NYC school, as per the name. From the midwest and trying to go back.
1. Henry Ford EM/IM- CC combined program, all of my advisors told me that this was the best.
2. Henry Ford EM
3. Hennepin EM/IM
4. Hennepin
5. Wash U
6. UPenn
7. U Mich
8. LSU
9. Sinai
10. Maricopa
11. Jacobi
12. DMC DRH
13. NYP
14. GWU

Only used site during interview season, otherwise try and avoid anything related to SDN. Hopefully this is a first-time last-time thing.

School on left coast, trying to get back to no coast (re: midwest) if possible with a few abberations.

above average boards, honors in all emergency medicine rotations, couple publications and significant volunteer-type stuff. Prolly pretty average though the way this forum makes it seem.

1. U of Iowa
2. Grand Rapids
3. U of Nebraska (only because home state though with lots of family)
4. Hennepin
5. U of Chicago
6. MCW
7. U of Wisconsin
8. Northwestern
9. Palmetto-USC
10. Wake Forest
11. U of Utah
12. U of Arizona
13. OHSU
14. Henry Ford

ROL compilation open for group editing.

Just wow----how many people have asked you to just keep bumping your thread and leave this for rank lists? Again I plead with you to get a hobby. Have you considered watching spring training and compiling your sabermetrics?

Just wow----how many people have asked you to just keep bumping your thread and leave this for rank lists? Again I plead with you to get a hobby. Have you considered watching spring training and compiling your sabermetrics?

Ouch.... Take it easy.... I have plenty of hobbies right now and would still have ample spare time if I decided to put this together like he/she has done.... Pretty sure its no harm to anyone to post it in here that its open.... Whether or not this compilation is accurate at all, it is still interesting and im sure will be used in the future.

Late to the game, but thought I'd add my 2c since I browsed the site last summer to get info on programs. I'll write pros and cons from what I remember, but I made my rank list by early Jan and it was more on gut-feel about places.

Details on me: couples matching (affected my rank list), 230s step 1, 240s step 2; no red flags on application; applied 26, offered 21, interviewed 16

1. UNC: loved that many non-ED rotations are at the community hospital (so no competition for patients/procedures from other residents). Really gelled with the residents and faculty here, and the area was fantastic.

2. Duke: like UNC, loved the area, residents, and faculty, really gelled with PD; loved the emphasis on EMS/disaster medicine

3. Baylor: big emphasis on residents taking leadership positions in EM; I just got the impression that the program looks to take residents beyond just being clinically skilled, which was a big plus for me; cons-no graduate class yet

4. Indiana: big plus for me was that a recent grad had taken a medical director job; the tracks here really prepare the students for focuses in emergency medicine; gelled with residents here as much as UNC, cons- Brr, it's cold there

5. UAB: PD was fantastic (probably the most relatable), training seems strong, and residents were friendly; enjoyed my time in the city

6. UT-SW (Austin): big plus was the city; I also liked the idea of helping shape a program into a strong one while it's young; cons- program is very young

7. UT-Houston: emphasis on residents finding a focus and exploring their interest in EM; cons- 12 hr shifts

8. Louisville: big emphasis on learning by doing, faculty seemed approachable; cons-felt unsafe in my time in the city

9. Wake Forest: training would be great here, just didn't gel with the residents as much as other programs

10. M-USC: same as Wake Forest; MUSC has the best tour of all my interviews, though part of it may have been the personality of the resident giving the tour

Others in no particular order:
-Scott & White: solid reputation and I felt like I'd get great training here, but I couldn't convince the SO to be happy with Temple, TX
-Palmetto: similar to Scott & White
-Arkansas: loved the city and the 3 days I spent in Little Rock. In addition, the faculty were great too, but I felt like I wouldn't fit in since it seemed like 75% of each resident class had Arkansas connections
-LSU-NO: only 4-year program I interviewed at; would've been higher due to exceptional training, but didn't like the idea of going to 6 hospitals
-UT-SW (Dallas): impression that they take learning by experience to the extreme
-Jacksonville: see UT-SW

RE:SLU PD, I think there've been a couple people in addition to RF saying similar things...I wonder what's going on

This has been a problem since they started. I think they have the opportunity to be a good program in a great town but if they want to start attracting talent in the the match they need to replace him. It was only one of two programs I did not rank.

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk 2

For the love of all that is holy lets keep the bloody power score stuff to the other thread please.
Exactly, this thread is about baby turtles and rants against spreadsheets... Take your discussions about ROL's to another thread!

Exactly, this thread is about baby turtles and rants against spreadsheets... Take your discussions about ROL's to another thread!

I ranked baby turtles over spreadsheets because baby turtles have a broader appeal.

So, who all matched? I heard there were only three open spots nationwide! Looks like EM has remained extremely competitive...

Dont ask where the spots are, thats against the rules.

I matched! Congrats to everyone else who did too! :thumbup:

Word on the street is that there is actually only one SOAP-eligible spot. :( I really feel for the peeps who didn't match, this process can be brutal.