RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't feel bad. You can always go sleep on the beach. ;)

...in other news, it's 20 degrees here!

Yep, no sympathies from me! I drove to work this morning in a blizzard with 2 feet of snow on the roads and negative temperatures... :eek: Enjoy your bug bites ;)

Members don't see this ad.

So now that all of my Christmas presents have officially arrived, I can confidently say that my boyfriend thinks I'm a man :laugh:

A new tackle box, a gun for my Cabella's Big Hunter game, a camouflage blanket, a shake weight, wool socks, and Realtree Camo/Big Buck dish set (plates, bowls, and coffee mugs)... ya know, the normal girly gifts ;)

Sadly, I have to admit... I like them all :oops:

My bf is clueless when it comes to gift-giving! This Christmas, he got me one of those Keurig coffee maker things and TONS of individual coffee flavors. Ummm...thank you SO much, but...I don't drink coffee! :confused:

I didn't say that and I did act super grateful, but seriously??? He drinks coffee every day so I'm pretty sure it was "Merry Christmas to him"!

My bf is clueless when it comes to gift-giving! This Christmas, he got me one of those Keurig coffee maker things and TONS of individual coffee flavors. Ummm...thank you SO much, but...I don't drink coffee! :confused:

I didn't say that and I did act super grateful, but seriously??? He drinks coffee every day so I'm pretty sure it was "Merry Christmas to him"!

hahaha that's terrible! My parents got my bf and I one of those too and I like it, but it definitely wasn't something I was looking forward to.... not to mention how expensive those damn k cups are! Plus we have 3 of them in every break room at work (the only place I really ever drink coffee). I'm pretty sure it was the "go to" present this year, I know at least 20 people that got one. Sounds like it was definitely a merry christmas to your bf though :cool:. Sadly, like I said, I actually DID like most of the gifts my bf got me (I'm a pretty big tomboy :oops:) but I really have no idea what to do with a (rather nice quality if I do say so) camouflage and deer, dish set... at least it came with coffee cups to use our new keurig ;). Do you drink tea? They have tons of teas and hot chocolates, and ciders... just a thought!

Members don't see this ad :)

I can give you an address to send that to... yanno, just to get it out of the way... ;)

I'm so sorry, Bigkittinteef and MSU. I couldn't imagine being in either of your positions and I wish you all the best.

I'm a high school senior considering the veterinary profession, first time posting in this part of the forums, but I must say that you all seem much more sincere then the people in the pre-allopathic forum. Nice to meet you all! =D

I love your avatar, it's so adorable! I might linger on Google Images for a while and look for a new one for myself. xD

What type of veterinary work are you interested in? I'm interested in exotic right now, mainly birds. They're so fascinating, I'd love to work at a zoo or something like that.

Okay, I have a rant/please give me some advice:

Things on my problems list (that drive me insane):

(1) Mother is going through a horrible divorce, from a man who has webpages dedicated to him on how he is predator, an assault charge, committed fraud (taken out loans in his daughter's name and my mom's name), and has tried to sue almost every member of his family. ... sigh, didnt know this before she married him

(2) Dad is about to lose his job after 23 years good hard service. The man has been working so hard, I barely see him for more than a couple hours a week. ... now he has given up and wont talk to an attorney.

(3) I thought my visit to the boyfriends parent's house for winter vacation went great even though they are super judge-ie ... no, apparently they concluded that I plan to get knocked up and to make him commit, then enjoy his plush earnings ... I guess they forgot to try to get to know me at all and that I wouldnt give up on getting a DVM for anything. ... also, i think is is fair for me to limit my partner selection to professional students like their son... especially when they dont appreciate anyone he dates who isnt already in professional school ... thank goodness he has responded to the problem well and I am very happy with him.

(4) As I posted on the rejections page: 5 rejections, 1 non-rejection but no interview invite, and 5 more to hear from (VT and Oregon are my top choices... though, I probably wont be theirs)

... sadly, this I-have-an-array-of-problems is not abnormal for my life. Thus, the venting so I can act like a normal in person during the day.

Solution to problems (open to feedback):

(1) I need to get into vet school, so I can have a real career

(2) Get 4.0's in this semester (taking human anatomy & physiology I, calculus, public speaking), then find a summer biochemistry course to re-take to improve my grade from a C to an A (like I did in Physics last summer, sigh ... oh and if any knows good online courses, let me know) ... after that I can have my overall GPA up to a 3.35 - 3.41 from what is currently a 3.25-3.3, depending on the school. I hope that should put me in better standing.

(3) I need to move out of either of my parent's home and become more financially independent ... actually, I am thinking of moving to Oregon, finding a job, and establishing residency at some point this summer ... I have decided I really want to attend Oregon after visiting the school in addition I could be close to my bf (I promise you I am not in a flighty relationship and I understand the risks)

Yeah, I've been recently "lurking" over on the osteopathic medicine SDN. I notice that, although they seem polite and nice, there's not much support or rooting for one another. They seem like they're just exchanging information about the programs. There is no emotion or revealing of personal situations or anything like here. If I end up going with my Plan B (osteopathic medicine) I will have to try to infuse their threads with some of the "vet vibe".

Virginger, your plan sounds reasonable and I apologize for the family nonsense. My family's the same way, there's always new drama unfolding.

About the boyfriend's family problem, I hear 'success for spite' is the best form of karma.

For the grades: You can do it! Just keep on it and everything will pan out for you, I'm sure.

I have to agree that the pre-DO forums are sort of dry, but sometimes pre-MD just gets catty. The pharmacy forums are just depressing sometimes... It's a terrible job market no matter what profession you're in, I guess.

... actually, I am thinking of moving to Oregon, finding a job, and establishing residency at some point this summer ... I have decided I really want to attend Oregon after visiting the school in addition I could be close to my bf (I promise you I am not in a flighty relationship and I understand the risks)

Virginger, where in Oregon do you want to live? It's not common to hear somebody OOS saying Oregon is one of their top choices so that got me excited! :laugh:
I've lived in OR for most of my life now and I've grown to love it here. Looking down the road, I've had a very hard time deciding where to go when I eventually leave Oregon...nothing can compare, in my opinion!

Yeah, I've been recently "lurking" over on the osteopathic medicine SDN. I notice that, although they seem polite and nice, there's not much support or rooting for one another. They seem like they're just exchanging information about the programs. There is no emotion or revealing of personal situations or anything like here. If I end up going with my Plan B (osteopathic medicine) I will have to try to infuse their threads with some of the "vet vibe".

Yeah, and they are nicer than pre-allo! I have yet to see another forum with as good of a group as here...which is why I'm never leaving :D

btw, there are like 8 regular posters in the pod forum and one lonely Friday night, I announced that the UFC fights were on. Oh boy, did I get an earful about how it was 'off topic', even after I put 'OT' in front of my post :eek: You could go weeks and still see the same threads on the first page :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, and they are nicer than pre-allo! I have yet to see another forum with as good of a group as here...which is why I'm never leaving :D

btw, there are like 8 regular posters in the pod forum and one lonely Friday night, I announced that the UFC fights were on. Oh boy, did I get an earful about how it was 'off topic', even after I put 'OT' in front of my post :eek: You could go weeks and still see the same threads on the first page :laugh:

I have to agree with you on that one. It's very calming and non-judgmental. I can't believe they flipped out about one off topic post; the pre-allo and pre-osteo boards would make them cringe with all the thread jacking going on.

Podiatry... I'm not sure if I could ever do that field, and to each their own, but I don't like my own feet. xD

If I end up going with my Plan B (osteopathic medicine) I will have to try to infuse their threads with some of the "vet vibe".

I'm glad I'm not the only one considering human med as a Plan B (or maybe Plan A if things keep going the way they have for me). I lurk here and over on pre-allo and the difference is stark....although, I have to say it's way more entertaining over there with all the trolls. :smuggrin:

Podiatry... I'm not sure if I could ever do that field, and to each their own, but I don't like my own feet. xD

Me too! I wear socks ALL THE TIME. haha. However, if I'm ever in need, I won't hesitate to come find flyhi to solve all my foot problems. ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one considering human med as a Plan B (or maybe Plan A if things keep going the way they have for me). I lurk here and over on pre-allo and the difference is stark....although, I have to say it's way more entertaining over there with all the trolls. :smuggrin:

Trolls are really funny, especially the really stupid ones. It's funny to watch them spin on their own logic circle if you can confuse one enough.

My problem is that I just don't know what I want, I think I want to have a family when I'm older, but I'd be around 29-31 for MD and at least 26 for the other professional medical degrees, unless I find a specialty program or I go for a residency.

I'm young, so I got time, but I hate not knowing what I want. x/

It is very humorous over there. I wouldn't worry tooo much about your age and the family thing. There are so many women who have kids either going into med school, during school, during residency, or wait until they are done. There is a lot of talk on the subject if you look it up.

btw, I have man feet :eek: Like, even when my piggies are painted, they look awkward :laugh:

Virginger, where in Oregon do you want to live? It's not common to hear somebody OOS saying Oregon is one of their top choices so that got me excited! :laugh:
I've lived in OR for most of my life now and I've grown to love it here. Looking down the road, I've had a very hard time deciding where to go when I eventually leave Oregon...nothing can compare, in my opinion!

I was in Oregon for 18 days over Christmas. LOVED IT, at least I think it is for me. We did a lot of hiking (which I discovered for Oregonians is a easy walk) ... and I went and tried as many happy hours as I could. The beer culture is great, in general there is great diversity in the food and cultures present ... I simply had a great time. OSU was really pretty. I toured the school, (the school tiny but) the way its set up with the classrooms and faculty makes me think its a great fit for me :D :xf:

I want to move to the NE Portland ideally, but I am going to move where I get a job. I have an uncle in Vancouver, WA that I could live with while I find a job. To be safe though I will probably use my bf's address to establish my residency with in Beaverton if I dont have a good job lined up immediately (but there was a decent number of job postings just after the holidays, so there is a market for em). ... I have never had a hard time with getting employed in the vet field ... apparently just with getting in to the school, lol

So your IS for Oregon?!? I cant imagine why you would want actually leave it! Maybe a some extended trips but its just lovely and the people were awesome.

I havnt seen anything posted for IS'ers yet, but they sent out a some OOS acceptances ... Im not on that list :( but maybe people will turn it down for th IS schools or other programs in general, and then if I dont get out right rejected a seat could open up for me :xf: :xf: :xf: :luck:

So your IS for Oregon?!? I cant imagine why you would want actually leave it! Maybe a some extended trips but its just lovely and the people were awesome.

I havnt seen anything posted for IS'ers yet, but they sent out a some OOS acceptances ... Im not on that list :( but maybe people will turn it down for th IS schools or other programs in general, and then if I dont get out right rejected a seat could open up for me :xf: :xf: :xf: :luck:

My first choice is of course Oregon State and I don't plan on leaving Oregon until all my schooling is done. Eventually, I would like to head east but this is way down the road. Portland is the only place I've lived where I feel at home - I'm partial to N and NE but that's just because it's my hood. :) The job market downright stinks right now but there are a TON of clinics around and some amazing opportunities available through OHSU and the Oregon Zoo.
From what I know, a lot of people turn down their OOS acceptances to Oregon State so you may be in luck! I'm rooting for you!

I think if I decide against vet med or can't get into vet school, I'll look at law schools. Animal related law and immigrations stuff... ;)

I think if I decide against vet med or can't get into vet school, I'll look at law schools. Animal related law and immigrations stuff... ;)

I've considered this myself. In fact, my son is in law school right now. He is going into criminal law and getting involved in "The Innocence Project" where DNA analysis is freeing innocents from prison.There are many fields and professions out there that can fulfill our "wanting to make a difference" that we feel inside. We want to be vets because we want to have that feeling, but there are other ways to fill that need/desire.

I wrote a blurb on animal law as a plan B for our advising office's webpage! If you'd be happy doing immigration law work as a job and animal stuff on the side that'd most definitely be a viable career option. Full time animal law lawyers are very few and far between... my mental comparison when researching it was that they're sort of equivalent to specialized zoo work in that they require a lot of preparation, jobs are scarce and competitive, and pay is pretty crap (comparatively)!

However, if vet med is a field with too many graduates and not enough jobs, oh booyy are law schools in that same position.

My first choice is of course Oregon State and I don't plan on leaving Oregon until all my schooling is done. Eventually, I would like to head east but this is way down the road. Portland is the only place I've lived where I feel at home - I'm partial to N and NE but that's just because it's my hood. :) The job market downright stinks right now but there are a TON of clinics around and some amazing opportunities available through OHSU and the Oregon Zoo.
From what I know, a lot of people turn down their OOS acceptances to Oregon State so you may be in luck! I'm rooting for you!

Yeah I herd that they have a hard time attracting OOS from a couple of the professors I know at OSU and even my friend said that when he sat with one the faculty members on a plane a few years ago, the professor recommended he apply there for the same reason.

I really hoping that that changes for OSU, the year after I get in :p .
But in the mean time I have seen some good opportunities in OHSU research facilities and there is good SA practice there from what I have seen. I may be down in the dumps about vet school apps but if their is one thing I can do, its get hired (yay experience, its good for something other than vet school apps).

In the future if I end up out there, I'd offer meet for some coffee w a fellow SDN'er :)

Law school is always good if you find your niche. If you look at going down that route, talk to some firms that specialize in what you want to practice in. Its good for learning if that the right field for you but if you do go with that, you have established some valuable connections for future employment.

My boyfriend did a similar thing, his undergrad is in mechanical engineering and he wasnt sure if he wanted to do grad school. So he applied for law school and now he is graduating and has a job doing patent law (the ultra nerd profession).

Just be careful of diploma factories, there have been a few law schools that have opened in recent years. So the law field has become more accessible which has left the field with an excess of graduating professionals (much worse than what the veterinary field is seeing, so networking is a major component to succeeding in law).

Follow your heart! ... if it seems unsuccessful, re-strategize and dont give up :) ... I'm def having to take my own advice.

Last edited:
Law school is always good if you find your niche. If you look at going down that route, talk to some firms that specialize in what you want to practice in. Its good for learning if that the right field for you but if you do go with that, you have established some valuable connections for future employment.

I was offered to shadow/do an internship (I think that's what it's called? Not sure. that's what we call it..) at a very big law firm in Atlanta. The owner worked with us on getting our Greencards. So it would be the perfect opportunity if I do choose to go that way..

I was offered to shadow/do an internship (I think that's what it's called? Not sure. that's what we call it..) at a very big law firm in Atlanta. The owner worked with us on getting our Greencards. So it would be the perfect opportunity if I do choose to go that way..

Perfect, so then keep up the work with them or any other law firms that come your way. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

When your in law school they get huge stacks of applicants, kinda like vet schools but there are only a couple seats available for each firm. So with a niche field like the one your talking about, there are only a few firms available. Thus, having a good relationship with them will put you near or at the top of the stack. At the very least, someone might be willing to recommend you to a firm they have a connection with.

For example, my bf was interested in product liability and mentioned to his prof that he wanted to learn more about it. His prof had a large firm in the NE give him a paid internship (which is big since law schools are in very competitive state right now).

Also, before he went to law school he contacted local patent firms about becoming involved with the practice via internship or work. They didnt have an opening at the time to take him on, but when he came back 2 years later to a large patent law hiring conference ... he was able to secure a paid internship with them ... now he has a job lined up 7 mo before he graduates.

So your on the right track if you chose to go down the law path, just remember it competitive too, so network a lot :) . If your still interested in it in the future, feel free to PM me (Ill can get the bf talk to you about law school and niche industries). If you continue with vet med thats awesome too. Good luck with your decision in the future :D all the SDN'ers will be rooting for you.

I am not worrying about law schools yet. I am still fully into vet med. Unless really no vet school wants me, from where I am at now, I doubt I will chance my mind. I have tried to find different things to be interested in, but have always gotten to.. "I really like this, but.. it's not veterinary medicine."

So still fully focused on vet med. But there is something waiting just in case.

I woke up with a sore throat. Last time I woke up with a sore throat? January 1st, 2012. :bang:. On the bright side, I have a TON of antibiotics that I apparently did not need which make my stomach feel like a Gremlin is trying to get out of it. I just want to go to class and not feel like crap! I want to go to the gym! I do not want to wait an hour past my appointment time to see a doctor! I think this is my body's way of telling me that I drank too much booze over Christmas break.

Dudes...I honeymooned in Portland (best week of my LIFE). I wanted to apply to OSU SO badly. :( I have been saying for years that I want to move to Oregon. This would be a good opportunity, no? :)

If only Corvallis wasn't so expensive to live in! Any suggestions for surrounding areas that aren't so expensive, but not shady/scuzzy? If I don't get in this application cycle, I'm going to seriously consider the "does money really matter that much...?" mindset.

In the future if I end up out there, I'd offer meet for some coffee w a fellow SDN'er :) .

Anytime!

Dudes...I honeymooned in Portland (best week of my LIFE). I wanted to apply to OSU SO badly. :( I have been saying for years that I want to move to Oregon. This would be a good opportunity, no? :)

If only Corvallis wasn't so expensive to live in! Any suggestions for surrounding areas that aren't so expensive, but not shady/scuzzy? If I don't get in this application cycle, I'm going to seriously consider the "does money really matter that much...?" mindset.

I went to high school in the mid-Willamette Valley and I'm very 'meh' about the area....that's why I moved to Portland after high school. :laugh:
Albany is cheap rent-wise and is not a far drive from Corvallis. Overall, it's not a terribly exciting or 'cool' place to live.

I am having one of those wrong side of the bed days. I woke up, got ready for work, and carpooled with the BF, who drove like molasses because he thought I had to be at work at 7:30 this morning (I had to be there at 7:15, like EVERY morning) and when I got all tense he goes "Dude, it's only 7:20..." and that's when I realize I forgot my coffee.:mad: Just not my morning.

So then here I am working a 14.75 hr shift, alone and all of my officers are trolling in the college community next to the campus, not on the campus. And I'm annoyed. Stupidly I made a post to my facebook saying as much. It started with "I'm grumpy, but occasionally it really peeves me that the officers do this..." I'm usually really careful about FB posts, as I have co-workers on there but this one slipped past my filters due to the bad day.

An hour or so after this post, the Officer in Charge comes in to dispatch and interrogates me about why it bothers me, defines our jurisdiction for me (like I don't know it) and justifies, in a loud scary cop voice (it takes a lot to intimidate me and he did) why we should pull over anyone, and that my being annoyed by it is an officer safety issue. OK that's where I get real pissed. Me saying I'm annoyed on Facebook does not translate to me not doing my job and not caring about their safety. Implying that I for one second let officer safety off my mind, even when they are annoying the CRAP out of me with much worse things than these traffic stops is personally insulting to me.

And using the cop intimidation voice on a co-worker is unprofessional, especially if you are doing it because of a facebook post. IMHO

Money, my toolbox of a boyfriend, money, my toolbox family, money, missing my toolbox family anyway, money, my sick cat, money.

Money.

(But not school. School is cool with me right now.)

Money, my toolbox of a boyfriend, money, my toolbox family, money, missing my toolbox family anyway, money, my sick cat, money.

Money.

Toolbox2.jpg

Money.

I'm sorry all your loved ones are toolboxes. But now you can lock them in the garage guilt-free :smuggrin:

Don't do that to your poor kitty though. I think he'd just get sick all over the toolboxes.

I'm just gonna say, that work really sucked today. I've already been ranting for about three hours, so I won't start again..

But I really hope I get that vet clinic job I applied for last week. I'm going there tomorrow to follow up on it. If yes, then I will give my two-week notice to quit the day after.

I'm sorry all your loved ones are toolboxes. But now you can lock them in the garage guilt-free :smuggrin:

Don't do that to your poor kitty though. I think he'd just get sick all over the toolboxes.

Hehe, kitty will always get free reign to barf all over my beloved possessions. :D

I'm just gonna say, that work really sucked today. I've already been ranting for about three hours, so I won't start again..

But I really hope I get that vet clinic job I applied for last week. I'm going there tomorrow to follow up on it. If yes, then I will give my two-week notice to quit the day after.

Aw, Im sorry to hear that. Good luck with job application!! You can do it :thumbup:

I've calmed down some, thus I'm past the smothering phase (see the fitness thread if you need a reference), but I can sum today up in one fell swoop...

:boom: Lowlights are as follows:

Had to unload the feed order today via scaling the pallets and the tendonitis in my shoulder is now so flared up that Advil has only taken off the edge.

Got told at 3:30pm TODAY that I have to work overnights for Wednesday and Thursday (7p - 7a) and need to be to work uber bitchin' early tomorrow (before 7am) so that something that none of my coworkers are willing to handle can be done. The real joy? I get to work this weekend too.

I will now end this with the fact that people are so damned stupid that I could cry. Some douchebag walks into my office at 5:35pm wearing his dirty PPE (even though I told said douchebag at the same time on Friday that the department closes at 5pm except for emergency service; and that he should remove all used PPE prior to entering the office) asking for scissors. I ask what type and he looks at me like I have a horn on my forehead and says 'Uh... Paper cutting scissors?' I sigh heavily, reach into my coworker's desk, hand them over, and say 'These are to come right back so that we can close up shop.' 15 minutes later, I chase down the asshat only to discover that they're using the scissors to cut CATHETERS in a procedure room where a whole bunch of narc'd up mice were decorating the lab bench top. I proceeded to pitch a mini fit about sterility; and they proceeded to argue with me about said use of said scissors telling me that I don't need to be worried about the scissors - the catheters are sterile.

:wtf::diebanana::bang:

Last edited:
I will now end this with the fact that people are so damned stupid that I could cry. Some douchebag walks into my office at 5:35pm wearing his dirty PPE (even though I told said douchebag at the same time on Friday that the department closes at 5pm except for emergency service; and that he should remove all used PPE prior to entering the office) asking for scissors. I ask what type and he looks at me like I have a horn on my forehead and says 'Uh... Paper cutting scissors?' I sigh heavily, reach into my coworker's desk, hand them over, and say 'These are to come right back so that we can close up shop.' 15 minutes later, I chase down the asshat only to discover that they're using the scissors to cut CATHETERS in a procedure room where a whole bunch of narc'd up mice were decorating the lab bench top. I proceeded to pitch a mini fit about sterility; and they proceeded to argue with me about said use of said scissors telling me that I don't need to be worried about the scissors - the catheters are sterile.

There needs to be a :hug: button. :biglove: LMMS, darling, I am very sorry. Boohiss to work:mad: I'd have taken the scissors and stuck them somewhere unpleasant on the asshat's anatomy. then I would've been either fired or dressed down or....not caught, depending on how sneaky I was feeling:D. In other words, please don't go boom. I miss you just thinking about you considering such a thing!

Money.
:( Bummer. Money is the root of all evil. And, according to some clever meme, so are girls. Lose-lose? I hope things begin to improve at least a bit. If you'd like, I'll donate some imaginary money to you. With interest! [Surprisingly, my toolbox family & friends let me mostly alone yesterday. It was relatively uneventful on the home front. Then I took a prescript. at the wrong time.....ohdear)

I am having one of those wrong side of the bed days. I woke up, got ready for work, and carpooled with the BF, who drove like molasses because he thought I had to be at work at 7:30 this morning (I had to be there at 7:15, like EVERY morning) and when I got all tense he goes "Dude, it's only 7:20..." and that's when I realize I forgot my coffee.:mad: Just not my morning.

[/B]And using the cop intimidation voice on a co-worker is unprofessional, especially if you are doing it because of a facebook post. IMHO
:mad:boohiss to your day! :shakes fist:

[Apparently yesterday was just not a good day. Today's ALREADY looking up. And it's only just begun]. Best thing about yesterday that tinged my entire day cause I'm just a fool? Ex has a new FB official girlfriend. I'm torn on my feelings. Part of me is ELATED (he went first and...actually, this is just a false sense of elation unless by some miracle, it's the real thing and not a rebound and they getmarriedandlivehappilyever) while the other part is indecisive and borderline emotional. Typical.

Gah. So I guess I didn't realize that a lot of schools did this, but I think it's a little ridiculous to charge people $8-10 for transcripts. My undergrad doesn't do this so I always assumed other schools were that way too. I just paid $10 to have a KSU transcript sent to my house so I can bring it along to my Auburn interview. The worst was last year when I applied to PSU for a master's program and had to to send them two copies of each school's transcript. I had taken classes at PSU: Berks and called registrar at State College to see if I really needed to send them their own transcripts. I was told yes, which meant I spent $16 sending a school their own transcripts, which they print and mail out from the office I had just talked to. Come on now.

Gah. So I guess I didn't realize that a lot of schools did this, but I think it's a little ridiculous to charge people $8-10 for transcripts. My undergrad doesn't do this so I always assumed other schools were that way too. I just paid $10 to have a KSU transcript sent to my house so I can bring it along to my Auburn interview. The worst was last year when I applied to PSU for a master's program and had to to send them two copies of each school's transcript. I had taken classes at PSU: Berks and called registrar at State College to see if I really needed to send them their own transcripts. I was told yes, which meant I spent $16 sending a school their own transcripts, which they print and mail out from the office I had just talked to. Come on now.
In order to get a copy of your transcript for pick up at the registrar's office at UCSB, you MUST select rush service for $15. They will not do a standard pick it up in a couple days thing, and if you have them mail it it takes 6-7 days to go the six blocks from their office to my apartment and it's still $10. Highway robbery.
On a similar note, my HS transcripts are $3 a piece and you have to order them in person... unless you tell the admissions lady you actually plan on doing something with your life that is outside the metro area and doesn't involve babies and a farm. Then the transcript is free and in the mail today!

I'm having a bitch of a time finding a summer job. I know the SA clinic I've spent a ton of time in will hire me back but I really, really do not want to do SA work. Except that it pays ridiculously well and I shouldn't turn down that kind of money. ERGH.

The problem with living with a programmer:

My bedtime: 11 to midnight, latest.

His bedtime: 2 or 3am, sometimes even later if he gets going on a tough code. Once, he climbed into bed at 3:30 am, barely coherent, because he had coded himself into exhaustion :laugh: I couldn't even begin to decipher what he was mumbling to himself as he burrowed under the covers.

I usually can sleep though anything, but I've been on an awful insomnia kick for the last week. I can usually ignore light coming from the living room, or soft tv/computer noises, but I've become sensitive to it. He tries his best, but I think I just have inhumanly sensitive ears when I am stressed. I think I slept four hours last night due to the light being on in the other room, my dog being a loud dreamer, and the cat deciding to keep putting her butt in my face until he finally displaced her at about 2am :laugh:

The problem with living with a programmer:

My bedtime: 11 to midnight, latest.

His bedtime: 2 or 3am, sometimes even later if he gets going on a tough code. Once, he climbed into bed at 3:30 am, barely coherent, because he had coded himself into exhaustion :laugh: I couldn't even begin to decipher what he was mumbling to himself as he burrowed under the covers.

I usually can sleep though anything, but I've been on an awful insomnia kick for the last week. I can usually ignore light coming from the living room, or soft tv/computer noises, but I've become sensitive to it. He tries his best, but I think I just have inhumanly sensitive ears when I am stressed. I think I slept four hours last night due to the light being on in the other room, my dog being a loud dreamer, and the cat deciding to keep putting her butt in my face until he finally displaced her at about 2am :laugh:

Yeah my computery man friend goes to bed between 3 and 7 am. My bedtime: also 11pm. Luckily he works in another room so I don't have to worry about light. I also sleep with ear plugs cause my cat friends run around and play/fight loudly at night. My suggestion is ear plugs and a mask!

This video really pisses me off. One of my friends just posted it to FB:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfR7VNvCWzQ[/YOUTUBE]

Its really one sided, and the best argument against going veg was one guy saying "I really like meat I don't think I'll go veg".

Please.

Factory farming is no good, however there are options to eat meat by choosing privately run free range farms. I hated how they depicted only factory farms, and at one point showed a cow in a crush while saying 'they can't even turn around'. In a crush... THATS THE POINT!

Choosing to be veg is a personal choice, which is great- but this video did all the wrong things. It just tries to guilt or scare people into going veg, and their target audience are people who have probably never seen or touched a live cow.

What really bothered me was all the dog owners saying how they 'thought of their dog'. I hope they don't go buy veg dog food and force their dogs to become vegetarian.

Okay I know this is already a heavily debated topic... but it pissed me off so much I had to rant about it where I knew I could. xoxo

Couldn't even watch the first two minutes...

About the dairy cows searching for their young. I've seen mothers reject and stomp on their calves.
About the hens clucking to their unhatched young. I dropped an egg in a free range chicken coop on the farm I worked at, and the hens demolished (as in ate) it before I could even look down.

But, I do agree that we need to continue to improve animal welfare. Ideally, more room for hens in cages, larger gestation stalls for sows, more grass-fed beef and dairy, more respect for our production animals, and much more.

I went to the eye doctor today to get a new prescription for contacts only to find out I have a Staph. eye infection :(. He sent me home with TobraDex and wants to see me Thurs, but that means I'm not getting contacts by the time I leave for Iowa on Friday. Balls.