RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Couldn't even watch the first two minutes...

About the dairy cows searching for their young. I've seen mothers reject and stomp on their calves.
About the hens clucking to their unhatched young. I dropped an egg in a free range chicken coop on the farm I worked at, and the hens demolished (as in ate) it before I could even look down.

But, I do agree that we need to continue to improve animal welfare. Ideally, more room for hens in cages, larger gestation stalls for sows, more grass-fed beef and dairy, more respect for our production animals, and much more.

Well said. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Couldn't even watch the first two minutes...

About the dairy cows searching for their young. I've seen mothers reject and stomp on their calves.
About the hens clucking to their unhatched young. I dropped an egg in a free range chicken coop on the farm I worked at, and the hens demolished (as in ate) it before I could even look down.

But, I do agree that we need to continue to improve animal welfare. Ideally, more room for hens in cages, larger gestation stalls for sows, more grass-fed beef and dairy, more respect for our production animals, and much more.

I don't think vegetarianism has ever been marketed well.

No matter how hard they try, it always comes off smug and a little crazy.

Or a lot crazy.

images

I don't think vegetarianism has ever been marketed well.

No matter how hard they try, it always comes off smug and a little crazy.

Or a lot crazy.

images

Yeah, the problem is they only say what will scare people the most. And that leads to inaccuracy... see if they'd skinned themselves and cut themselves up THEN put themselves into giant meat trays... then that would create a more accurate picture of processed meat.

Members don't see this ad :)
My geriatric old man is now a sneezy, coughing, snot-nosed kitty. He's lost 6oz (like he can afford to lose anything) and his temp yesterday was 103.6. His nasal discharge is unilateral, concerning given his recent history of SCC in the jaw & ear.

In 38 years, I have never personally had a snotty kitty. Poor guy is one big snot-bucket, & it's all over him. Sigh, we nebulized him, started antibx, gave fluids, etc. Temp is down this morning to 102.2, he's drinking ok but has little interest in food (even the nastiest, stinkiest crap I could find) I'm just praying this is in fact an infectious process & not a nasal tumor. It would suck to lose him like that after everything he's been through the last 2 months.

I will try to avoid giving out TMI, but this, urgh, makes me so angry.
After my friend ended her relationship of 5 years (after cheating on her boyfriend), she decided to "sleep around". I should say that if you choose to do that, there is nothing wrong with that. What I do have a problem with is that she tried to pawn off one of the people she slept with ON ME because I "need to LIVE." She tried to pawn off the guy who pierced our ears the other week on me. It is bad enough that from the moment we walked into the shop, she was all over him. The two of them completely ignored me, and my friend also said some embarrassing things as part of her flirting tactics. That is embarrassing enough. Then you get wasted, give me his number, tell me that I have no life, show him all of the texts I sent you and then tell me your going to sleep with him that night?

Ouch.
What part of "I am not interested?" DON'T you understand. What part of "I am certainly not interested in your leftovers!" DON'T you understand. What part of "I don't think I handle being in that type of relationship with someone" DON'T you understand. I want a relationship. A boyfriend/girlfriend relationship that both people enter with the intent of finding that person they are going to spend the rest of their life with. Right now, I am putting it on the back burner because I have no idea where I will be in May. I know I am moving far far away. It all depends where I can get a job. I am NOT interested in one night stands, or flings, or whatever you call it. I do not need to sleep with someone to keep myself entertained. I have other methods right now like hanging out with my friends and volunteering.

I went to the eye doctor today to get a new prescription for contacts only to find out I have a Staph. eye infection :(. He sent me home with TobraDex and wants to see me Thurs, but that means I'm not getting contacts by the time I leave for Iowa on Friday. Balls.

Balls :( Rock the sexy glasses look!!!! (then again, whenever I think of meds, I think of how my bladder infection meds should've turned my eyes orange. But, my contacts remained unscathed. Phew!) I've been rocking out the glasses look for almost a week now. I'm really bored with it. (My youngest sister asked if I stole her glasses....cause ours bear resemblance to one another...oh ignorance.....)

I have other methods right now like hanging out with my friends and volunteering.

I think we have similar lives. I'm sort of startled at the similarities. I'm pretty glad that I gave up those friends. Volunteer - it makes me feel better. (until people start asking about my monetary value....and then I throw them into the moral values ring just to be an asshat).

There was this one time where I was asked why I only have animal volunteering on my resume...this was during my vet school interview. I was taken aback but answered honestly. I'd like to believe it worked in my favor.

Leftovers are only good til the leftovers reach their expiration date. (It's sort of disheartening that I've been reduced to leftovers with my 2nd shift job. The universe gets its daily kicks out of me. I just have learned to laugh with it!:laugh:)

Random and prolly TMI... :laugh:

My husband had a Nissen fundoplication done in August to correct severe acid reflux. Basically, they wrapped the fundus of his stomach around his esophagus & stitched it to make a tighter esophageal sphincter. As a result, he can't really burp if he needs to.

So, since it's not coming out THAT way...let's just say I'm surprised he hasn't propelled himself out of bed whilst he sleeps. :eek: His butt keeps startling the cat, and it keeps waking me up. I'd love some sleep, please!

My husband had a Nissen fundoplication done in August to correct severe acid reflux. Basically, they wrapped the fundus of his stomach around his esophagus & stitched it to make a tighter esophageal sphincter. As a result, he can't really burp if he needs to.

So, since it's not coming out THAT way...let's just say I'm surprised he hasn't propelled himself out of bed whilst he sleeps. :eek: His butt keeps startling the cat, and it keeps waking me up. I'd love some sleep, please!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Mine does that too... without the excuse of a Nissen fundoplication...! :scared:

I'm reminded of Family Guy, when Peter is teaching Meg how to land a man and he farts in the car and won't let her leave...

LOVE THE GAS, MEG! LOVE IT!

I'm reminded of Family Guy, when Peter is teaching Meg how to land a man and he farts in the car and won't let her leave...

LOVE THE GAS, MEG! LOVE IT!

:rofl: My guy totally did that to me back when we were dating! He had his seat warmer on and locked the windows and blasted the heat. :barf:

:rofl: My guy totally did that to me back when we were dating! He had his seat warmer on and locked the windows and blasted the heat. :barf:

The worst is when they fart in the shower... steamy farts :scared:. How in the world did we let this conversation get this far? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally needed theses giggles right now. Thanks everyone!

I will try to avoid giving out TMI, but this, urgh, makes me so angry.
After my friend ended her relationship of 5 years (after cheating on her boyfriend), she decided to "sleep around". I should say that if you choose to do that, there is nothing wrong with that. What I do have a problem with is that she tried to pawn off one of the people she slept with ON ME because I "need to LIVE." She tried to pawn off the guy who pierced our ears the other week on me. It is bad enough that from the moment we walked into the shop, she was all over him. The two of them completely ignored me, and my friend also said some embarrassing things as part of her flirting tactics. That is embarrassing enough. Then you get wasted, give me his number, tell me that I have no life, show him all of the texts I sent you and then tell me your going to sleep with him that night?

Ouch.
What part of "I am not interested?" DON'T you understand. What part of "I am certainly not interested in your leftovers!" DON'T you understand. What part of "I don't think I handle being in that type of relationship with someone" DON'T you understand. I want a relationship. A boyfriend/girlfriend relationship that both people enter with the intent of finding that person they are going to spend the rest of their life with. Right now, I am putting it on the back burner because I have no idea where I will be in May. I know I am moving far far away. It all depends where I can get a job. I am NOT interested in one night stands, or flings, or whatever you call it. I do not need to sleep with someone to keep myself entertained. I have other methods right now like hanging out with my friends and volunteering.

Uuuugh trematode your friend is being a jerk! And that creepo guy is to! Sometimes when I'm pissed off with people, I draw hilarious pictures of them... it sounds really childish, but it does make me feel better and I end up laughing at the photo.

You obviously know what you want/need (friends, vol, etc) so busy yourself with that instead. Your friend is obviously feeling really needy right now and probably wants to hang around you so she can at least spread her problems around a bit.... be a friend to her if she is one of your good friends, but keep far away enough that her problems don't start to affect you.... and seriously... draw hilarious pictures of them both :)

really missing my puppy today. he died last year on May 11, right before my college graduation weekend.

he was an 8 year old cavalier king charles (my avatar is a picture of him). he was suffering from suspected GME (Granulomatous meningoencephalitis) and had been on meds for a while (CCNU and prednisone) before his body finally succumbed :(

was the sweetest baby ever, my first dog, and the best dog i will ever have known. most days i am OK...but now and then i just hurt a lot and really miss him. he always knew when i was sad/hurting and would just come lie down next to me and put his head on my lap. i just really miss my best friend sometimes.

sigh :cry:

:( sunnex :( He looks like such a sweet boy and I'm sure it feels like a piece of you is gone. But just remember the things he taught you... about life, love and letting someone special go :) He's the one that taught you some of the most important stuff in life.. :) and to give you a laugh just remember all the hilarious doggie things he did... my 11.5 year old lab died in 2010 just before I left for Australia. But he used to roll... like a horse, and he'd drag his face on any surface close by including gravel and ice, then he would turn it into a body roll and roll over like 5 times. It always makes me smile when I remember his quirky things!! xx :)

really missing my puppy today. he died last year on May 11, right before my college graduation weekend.

he was an 8 year old cavalier king charles (my avatar is a picture of him). he was suffering from suspected GME (Granulomatous meningoencephalitis) and had been on meds for a while (CCNU and prednisone) before his body finally succumbed :(

was the sweetest baby ever, my first dog, and the best dog i will ever have known. most days i am OK...but now and then i just hurt a lot and really miss him. he always knew when i was sad/hurting and would just come lie down next to me and put his head on my lap. i just really miss my best friend sometimes.

Hey Sunnex, I understand your pain.

I had Shih Tzu Poodle mix named Damsel (cheesy name I know) who became ataxic all of the sudden when I came home for winter break. First she showed up lyme positive but didnt improve on antibiotics. Then we thought she had a herniated disk... she would show some improvement on muscle relaxers, pain meds, and rest ... put then she would relapse. When I left for school for the semester we had an MRI done in preparation for surgery to repair the disk. When they got views they found several masses in her spinal column. They believe it was either GME or lymphoma (emphasis on GME, which the process of her decline was so hard to watch). ... it was really hard to say good-bye to her because I wasnt there for the end.

There are days where its tough and I sure all the SDNers would be happy to distract you and cheer you up.

otherwise...

Remember the good times with him... and then look forward and think about all the good time your gonna have :oops:

he was an 8 year old cavalier king charles

was the sweetest baby ever, my first dog, and the best dog i will ever have known.:cry:

I have always told people how sweet cavalier king charles are... I've never owned one, but just from being a tech for so long, I fell in LOVE with how SWEET they are. It's unbelievable. I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

Rumour has it that Tommy Europe (one of my celebrity crushes) will be in Halifax this weekend at a health expo and you can actually take a fitness class with him. My rant: I can't go because I work all freaking weekend. I even have a free pass!

Sunnex, your boy looks sooo sweet! I'm sorry you are feeling sad and can't imagine losing either of my boys. He was too young to go. :(

I'm so sorry. Sunnex3. I can't imagine your loss. I still have my first dog fortunately and I don't know what I'm going to do if something happens to him. :(
Cherish your memories, and look forward to the new ones you will make (you know you're going to come across another wonderful pet sometime!) :)

Hey Sunnex, I understand your pain.

I had Shih Tzu Poodle mix named Damsel (cheesy name I know) who became ataxic all of the sudden when I came home for winter break. First she showed up lyme positive but didnt improve on antibiotics. Then we thought she had a herniated disk... she would show some improvement on muscle relaxers, pain meds, and rest ... put then she would relapse. When I left for school for the semester we had an MRI done in preparation for surgery to repair the disk. When they got views they found several masses in her spinal column. They believe it was either GME or lymphoma (emphasis on GME, which the process of her decline was so hard to watch). ... it was really hard to say good-bye to her because I wasnt there for the end.

There are days where its tough and I sure all the SDNers would be happy to distract you and cheer you up.

otherwise...

Remember the good times with him... and then look forward and think about all the good time your gonna have :oops:

i remember the good times every day :) GME was a tough disease to handle...i'm sorry for your loss too, obviously we can understand each other's pain with this specific disease.

I have always told people how sweet cavalier king charles are... I've never owned one, but just from being a tech for so long, I fell in LOVE with how SWEET they are. It's unbelievable. I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

emiloo, they are truly the sweetest dogs i have ever met -- i don't think i've EVER met a mean tempered CKCS :) at work everyone always knows to come find me whenever one comes in ;)

Sunnex, your boy looks sooo sweet! I'm sorry you are feeling sad and can't imagine losing either of my boys. He was too young to go. :(

thanks flyhi for the kind words. he was def too young to go, although we expected him to suffer from heart disease later on, it was hard to lose him so early so unexpectedly...

I'm so sorry. Sunnex3. I can't imagine your loss. I still have my first dog fortunately and I don't know what I'm going to do if something happens to him. :(
Cherish your memories, and look forward to the new ones you will make (you know you're going to come across another wonderful pet sometime!) :)

bigkittinteef, i already know that i'm adopting one of the blood donor kitties at work when she is done with her year of "service" :D she is a gorgeous grey/white DMH, with the most gorgeous green eyes and her name is zoe. i'm pretty much set on taking her with me when i start vet school in the fall.

thanks everyone so much for the kind words. even though it is 8 months later, i still find it hard sometimes to believe that he is gone. you guys are so nice and supporting about everything :love:

Gah. My mom just told me to find a job more up my alley. I currently work PT as a vet assistant at a humane society and I really like it. And since I want to be a vet, it is right up my alley. I think her point was more that I can't continue working PT at $8/hr if I want to make way in regards to my undergrad loans I've started paying off...and its' rough right now with interviews coming up. Pretty much just lost an entire paycheck paying for my flight to Illinois. I guess I just feel sort of guilty leaving since I wouldn't even probably have a job if they hadn't offered me this one while I was interning there this summer. My area is not really the best for anything science related. I'd have to commute towards Philly/Lancaster/Allentown since that's where a lot of the pharmaceutical/research buildings are, which is fine except I drive a mini van which has crappy gas mileage and isn't the most trustworthy of things. And I'm just hesitant since I still don't know if I'm getting into vet school or not. I'd feel kind of bad accepting a position and being like "jk, I can only work for you for a couple of months."

And I realize I'm probably worrying too much over the whole situation (one of my character flaws).

I'm so sorry about your pups sunnex :(

The beautiful thing is that he was in a great set of hands, lived a wonderful life and with somebody who loved him. And that is what is important.

On that note, we had a stray "old lady" cat come into the shelter soaking wet and starving. I mean this cat was probably 18... she was reclaimed today by her owner who was an absolute wreck over missing her kitto :love: (for anyone who has ever been involved in shelter medicine - cat reclaimings are super rare)

It's people who love their animals, and miss them (like you sunnex) that make me want to be a veterinarian so much more.

I'm so sorry about your pups sunnex :(

The beautiful thing is that he was in a great set of hands, lived a wonderful life and with somebody who loved him. And that is what is important.

On that note, we had a stray "old lady" cat come into the shelter soaking wet and starving. I mean this cat was probably 18... she was reclaimed today by her owner who was an absolute wreck over missing her kitto :love: (for anyone who has ever been involved in shelter medicine - cat reclaimings are super rare)

It's people who love their animals, and miss them (like you sunnex) that make me want to be a veterinarian so much more.

Sorry I missed it. Sounds like an awesome day :thumbup:

Sorry I missed it. Sounds like an awesome day :thumbup:

Oh it was so super awesome... and hilarious too

There is a GIANT black lab that came in and he chews with his mouth open!! :laugh: I've never seen anything like him in my whole veterinary experience - blows Muffin's cuteness out of the water... although don't tell the Muffin Man I said that....

Not to bring this topic back up, but...

:rofl:

No. No. Even worse = carb free cookies. It was AWFUL. BOTH of us were going at it. However, as we all know, guy farts smell worse than girl farts.

Not familiar with carb free cookies, but....Fiber One Bars.... Oh my. My family-in-law calls them fart bars...

Not to bring this topic back up, but...

Not familiar with carb free cookies, but....Fiber One Bars.... Oh my. My family-in-law calls them fart bars...

It's not officially dinner for my husband's family until someone mentions poop. :p

So my boyfriend and I have been together for oh, about 7 years and change. You know, high school sweethearts and whatnot. So while I was in undergrad he was in the military and we did the whole Long distance relationship... and it sucked. He got out of the air force last january and moved down with me and started school here. Now, through this whole app cycle he's been supportive and always said no matter where I got in, whether IS or OOS, he'd be there with me. And now he's getting cold feet. He was semi-excited about the KSU acceptance when I told him and even talked about us moving to Kansas if that's where I'm going.... then this morning he casually says, "I hope you get into your IS so we can be together.." then follows up with "i've been debating whether or not I'm going with you if you go out of state." It's a nice time to start having doubts. I mean, I'm still :xf: for my IS, but I can't help but feel that if he's already even considering not coming with me after months of saying that he would. I'm not trying to be selfish, but I wish he would have talked about his doubts/feelings before when we were discussing me applying out of state... UGH :mad:

/Rant

So my boyfriend and I have been together for oh, about 7 years and change. You know, high school sweethearts and whatnot. So while I was in undergrad he was in the military and we did the whole Long distance relationship... and it sucked. He got out of the air force last january and moved down with me and started school here. Now, through this whole app cycle he's been supportive and always said no matter where I got in, whether IS or OOS, he'd be there with me. And now he's getting cold feet. He was semi-excited about the KSU acceptance when I told him and even talked about us moving to Kansas if that's where I'm going.... then this morning he casually says, "I hope you get into your IS so we can be together.." then follows up with "i've been debating whether or not I'm going with you if you go out of state." It's a nice time to start having doubts. I mean, I'm still :xf: for my IS, but I can't help but feel that if he's already even considering not coming with me after months of saying that he would. I'm not trying to be selfish, but I wish he would have talked about his doubts/feelings before when we were discussing me applying out of state... UGH :mad:

/Rant

I've been dealing with the SAME thing...and now that I was rejected from Cornell he has a big decision to make. I left it at that. He promised when I moved to NY for HIS schooling, that he would come with me to vet school for MINE... and the cold feet ensue. It took me a while to earn the strength to say this and mean it, but I told him that I am going to school based on MY decision and if he would like to come and show his commitment, great! If not, he knows where I'll be. That's just me, but make sure you don't sacrifice yourself for people that won't make sacrifices for you. I know it's easier said that done and that he is very important in your life, but just remember that he has to show you how important YOU are in HIS life as well. If your IS is YOUR first choice as well, then awesome! Either way I hope you will do what makes you happy! It's a very tough situation and I understand. It's almost bitter sweet when you get good news from the schools... you want to be excited, but then you are torn about your relationship. :confused: PM me if you need anything, and congrats on KANSAS!!!! :D Don't let this distract you too much from your amazing accomplishments!

I've been dealing with the SAME thing...and now that I was rejected from Cornell he has a big decision to make. I left it at that. He promised when I moved to NY for HIS schooling, that he would come with me to vet school for MINE... and the cold feet ensue. It took me a while to earn the strength to say this and mean it, but I told him that I am going to school based on MY decision and if he would like to come and show his commitment, great! If not, he knows where I'll be. That's just me, but make sure you don't sacrifice yourself for people that won't make sacrifices for you. I know it's easier said that done and that he is very important in your life, but just remember that he has to show you how important YOU are in HIS life as well. If your IS is YOUR first choice as well, then awesome! Either way I hope you will do what makes you happy! It's a very tough situation and I understand. It's almost bitter sweet when you get good news from the schools... you want to be excited, but then you are torn about your relationship. :confused: PM me if you need anything, and congrats on KANSAS!!!! :D Don't let this distract you too much from your amazing accomplishments!

Thanks... I know regardless of what he decides I am ultimately going to go on with my school. Whether he comes with me or not. He's mainly concerned about his school. Our undergrad has a really great criminal justice program that he's in right now and he's worried about transfering to a different school. I can understand his concerns I just wished he had been honest about them before I decided to apply to OOS schools. Thanks for your advice, it's nice to know i'm not alone in this situation... I hope everything works out for you and your bf too... I think I have a lot to sort out between now and April. :)

Thanks... I know regardless of what he decides I am ultimately going to go on with my school. Whether he comes with me or not. He's mainly concerned about his school. Our undergrad has a really great criminal justice program that he's in right now and he's worried about transfering to a different school. I can understand his concerns I just wished he had been honest about them before I decided to apply to OOS schools. Thanks for your advice, it's nice to know i'm not alone in this situation... I hope everything works out for you and your bf too... I think I have a lot to sort out between now and April. :)

Yeah I know it's hard and that it's not that cut and dry. My boyfriend is still finishing up as well and I suggested for him to finish school and then come look for a job where I am when he's finished in a year or two. We've also done the long distance military thing a few times so we really wanted to be done with it, but we'll see what happens. Lots of exciting decisions coming up! :)

emiloo, they are truly the sweetest dogs i have ever met -- i don't think i've EVER met a mean tempered CKCS :) at work everyone always knows to come find me whenever one comes in ;)

Awwwww! Everyone at my work always finds me when a newfie comes in :p. I lOVE CKCSs too... very very sweet. Definitely want one someday. So sorry girlie. Can't imagine losing my baby girl... :(

Fiber One Bars.... Oh my. My family-in-law calls them fart bars...
YES these are the WORST!!! My stomach ties in knots when i eat one of these and the gas is atrocious. Truly a miracle for irregular people, I suppose! :laugh:

Stick to your guns you two! You two both deserve support after the sacrifices you have made for your bfs. Hopefully they will be willing to do the same. If not, you'll go to vet school find someone amazing who will! :)

Stick to your guns you two! You two both deserve support after the sacrifices you have made for your bfs. Hopefully they will be willing to do the same. If not, you'll go to vet school find someone amazing who will! :)

Thanks :) its actually helped me open my eyes to his real level of commitment... It's a hard pill to swallow, but we will both need to make big decisions come April. I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason and maybe this whole thing can serve as a test for both of us.

Exactly... and that's pretty much what I told him :laugh:. He is the one with the tough decision, I just have to choose which place I want to live out my dream! :D (Hopefully :xf:)

I'm already exhausted and haven't even had my official shift at work yet. lol Helped setting up earlier, but during my next shift, a group of employees has to dance because we're having a special event. I've been practicing the dance for an hour now and I'm exhausted... must be a sign. I was at the gym for a dance practice last night, so now I know where everything is. I think I'm gonna start going now. Hahaha no more excuses..

BUT. The fire station I built is finally done and on display today. Picture will be up later in the Rave thread! :]

Thanks :) its actually helped me open my eyes to his real level of commitment... It's a hard pill to swallow, but we will both need to make big decisions come April. I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason and maybe this whole thing can serve as a test for both of us.

Yep, it is a very hard pill to swallow but so easy to blindly look past when you're in love. So kuddos to you for being able to look at it from another way. I hope the best for both you and your bf... like you said, everything happens for a reason, and I am a HUGE believer in that as well, but I didn't want to sound too cliche when you seemed down ;) Hopefully he will straighten up and decide what's most important to him... mine has started to :D... now I just have to decide if he's worth keeping :laugh:

JMJ - One of my Newfie's (the landseer one who is 14 months old) is shedding like crazy right now. I've never seen anything like it. The 20 month old (black) doesn't seem to have as heavy a coat and doesn't shed as much. Landseer may be coming into her first heat, so I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Does your Newfie shed like this or is she more reasonable like my black one? I wonder if it's a landseer thing. I am with the vacuum cleaner every morning before I go out. When I get home, it's all there again (yet the dog still seems to have a full coat to look at her...which means this could go on for months before she's done). Any advice or empathy would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Sorry everyone...this is probably the wrong thread for this, but I saw JMJ mention her Newfie, so I had to ask).

this is the same with my boyfriend. we've been dating for 4 years, met our freshman year of college, finally started dating our final year, and have been long distance for the past 2 years. He's known about this vet school plan for FOREVER and had FOREVER to decide whether or not he's coming with me. Instead, he now is moving across the country for his job. When we talk about if he's going to come to school with me (which he can't decide), he says there isnt a difference in if he comes at the start or if he comes later. My whole opinion is if you're not willing to come at the start, why should I believe you'll want to come later? I've gotten in to Guelph and Kansas so far, and I can tell he's excited for me, but he literally does not want to go to those places. It's so hard to be excited about it when I know my best friend only sees the place and not the opportunity for us to be together. I just feel an insane amount of pressure to get into places he would actually want to follow me to and it's just not fair. I know it's a HUGE decision for him to leave his job and come with me, but he's had two years to mull that one over. Make a commitment already!! And he doesnt even like his job or really know what he wants to do with his life which is the hardest part for me to grasp as to why he can't just come with me.

GAH, I know part of it is selfish, but why does this have to be so hard!!!

long rant. oops.

I just feel an insane amount of pressure to get into places he would actually want to follow me to and it's just not fair.

Don't do that to yourself. This is a time you are allowed to be "selfish" as you call it. It's not being selfish, it's going for what you want, deserve, and have worked hard for. It took me a while to come to terms with it, but ultimately, like I said before, if someone really cares about you like they should, they will do what it takes to be with you. Especially when you are the one with FAR LESS choices than him... and he's had 2 years to figure it out. Stay strong and do what makes you happy... whatever that means for you. :love:
I'm going to the school that is best for me (without completely ignoring his input), and from there I will see how committed he truly is. I don't want to find out 10 years later that he wasn't as committed as I thought, I'd rather find out now! :D

Don't do that to yourself. This is a time you are allowed to be "selfish" as you call it. It's not being selfish, it's going for what you want, deserve, and have worked hard for. It took me a while to come to terms with it, but ultimately, like I said before, if someone really cares about you like they should, they will do what it takes to be with you. Especially when you are the one with FAR LESS choices than him... and he's had 2 years to figure it out. Stay strong and do what makes you happy... whatever that means for you. :love:
I'm going to the school that is best for me (without completely ignoring his input), and from there I will see how committed he truly is. I don't want to find out 10 years later that he wasn't as committed as I thought, I'd rather find out now! :D
thank you emiloo, this is why i love this forum. sometimes you just need to hear words of wisdom.

I'm trying to stay focused on what I've worked so hard for, and hoping that he realizes that this is what I'm doing, with or without him and that he wants the "with" part! Definitely going to be some tough decisions come April.

Good luck at your interview this weekend btw, you're going to rock it!!!!

this is the same with my boyfriend. we've been dating for 4 years, met our freshman year of college, finally started dating our final year, and have been long distance for the past 2 years. He's known about this vet school plan for FOREVER and had FOREVER to decide whether or not he's coming with me. Instead, he now is moving across the country for his job. When we talk about if he's going to come to school with me (which he can't decide), he says there isnt a difference in if he comes at the start or if he comes later. My whole opinion is if you're not willing to come at the start, why should I believe you'll want to come later? I've gotten in to Guelph and Kansas so far, and I can tell he's excited for me, but he literally does not want to go to those places. It's so hard to be excited about it when I know my best friend only sees the place and not the opportunity for us to be together. I just feel an insane amount of pressure to get into places he would actually want to follow me to and it's just not fair. I know it's a HUGE decision for him to leave his job and come with me, but he's had two years to mull that one over. Make a commitment already!! And he doesnt even like his job or really know what he wants to do with his life which is the hardest part for me to grasp as to why he can't just come with me.

GAH, I know part of it is selfish, but why does this have to be so hard!!!

long rant. oops.

I hear ya Katie8.... It's hard and I dont think these boys realize how alot of us won't have a choice of where we'd "like" to go. He's told me for the past 4 years up until 2 days ago that he'd follow me wherever I go and look into transfering schools and jobs. And then he threw that little thing out there this morning. Definitely hit me like a brick wall. Maybe once we make our decisions of where we're going and the possibility of us leaving them behind becomes more "real" to them they may change their mind. But I agree with you not knowing where his commitment is. Haha, mine has been promising/hinting at an engagement ring for the last 3 years and just bought a 2300.00 TV. lol so we'll see.... Good luck to you guys and any other SDNer who is having this lame relationship issues. Congrats on Kansas too, maybe we'll be classmates ;)

I hear ya Katie8.... It's hard and I dont think these boys realize how alot of us won't have a choice of where we'd "like" to go. He's told me for the past 4 years up until 2 days ago that he'd follow me wherever I go and look into transfering schools and jobs. And then he threw that little thing out there this morning. Definitely hit me like a brick wall. Maybe once we make our decisions of where we're going and the possibility of us leaving them behind becomes more "real" to them they may change their mind. But I agree with you not knowing where his commitment is. Haha, mine has been promising/hinting at an engagement ring for the last 3 years and just bought a 2300.00 TV. lol so we'll see.... Good luck to you guys and any other SDNer who is having this lame relationship issues. Congrats on Kansas too, maybe we'll be classmates ;)
A $2300 TV?!? I can think of something muuucch more sparkly and awesome he could have purchased!

I'm so sorry you're going through this too
33D
It's such hard thing to grasp sometimes, I would have literally broken down right then and there if I was in your situation! hang in there! I'm holding out that these boys will surprise us for the better

A $2300 TV?!? I can think of something muuucch more sparkly and awesome he could have purchased!

I'm so sorry you're going through this too
33D
It's such hard thing to grasp sometimes, I would have literally broken down right then and there if I was in your situation! hang in there! I'm holding out that these boys will surprise us for the better

Yeah... I have my own opinions about the tv... but he is the type that once he gets an idea in his mind of what he wants its hard to sway him lol. Thanks for the advice. At least we aren't alone with this.. that's why i love SDN.:D