RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sheared off a nice strip of my leg shaving last night, about 1/4" wide and maybe an inch and a half long. The shower looked like the scene of a shark attack. I am a blood wimp but managed to finish my shower quickly without passing out. I made my girlfriend come and stop the bleeding and put band-aids on (two layers, because it kept bleeding through) as I laid there on the floor trying not to faint. I managed to change the band-aids this morning myself, but like...ugh. :barf:

God i HATE it when i knick/maime myself shaving! Best thing I ever discovered - you know that anaesthetic stuff you put down a cats throat before intubating it? (I cant remember the name of the drug right now...) but its a vasoconstrictor, and you just squirt a bit of that on and it stops the bleeding! Its FANTASTIC!

Members don't see this ad.

God i HATE it when i knick/maime myself shaving! Best thing I ever discovered - you know that anaesthetic stuff you put down a cats throat before intubating it? (I cant remember the name of the drug right now...) but its a vasoconstrictor, and you just squirt a bit of that on and it stops the bleeding! Its FANTASTIC!

Lidocaine? Huh. Never heard of that!

Today I managed to forget it was there (and still raw) and rub bronzer in it when I went tanning. That felt awesome :rolleyes: Here's an image. I think I could pass it off as a shark attack?

226905_10150172946657890_606622889_7434852_7479314_n.jpg

This actually doesn't do it justice...crappy picture. It hurts :( Where's my bubble when I need it?

Lidocaine? Huh. Never heard of that!

Today I managed to forget it was there (and still raw) and rub bronzer in it when I went tanning. That felt awesome :rolleyes: Here's an image. I think I could pass it off as a shark attack?

Hm. Perhaps modify the story to something like "... and there I was, standing in the woods when this honey badger came flying at me hissing and clawing and biting...."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm. Perhaps modify the story to something like "... and there I was, standing in the woods when this honey badger came flying at me hissing and clawing and biting...."

Good plan!

Finals. All of them cumulative. 3 of them ending in the word chemistry. Need I say more? AHHH! Not at all looking forward to this stress in vet school all the time and tripled at finals, ugh.

Minor rant: So because YOU, the county, screwed up putting a birth date into a computer, I, the person who didn't screw up, has so far:

o been told to drive to your service center;
o driven to your service center;
o waited an hour and a half for assistance;
o only to be told you can't fix the problem and been given a phone number to call;
o called the number to be told I need to go back to the service center with a special form;
o that apparently the service center didn't think to tell me about when I was there the first time?

... all this to get a birth certificate, which my employer needs for dependent verification, so that insurance will pay the hospital bill

... which won't happen by my employer's deadline because of the county's screw-up putting the birth date into the computer.

Ok. Done. Blood pressure corrected.

Minor rant: So because YOU, the county, screwed up putting a birth date into a computer, I, the person who didn't screw up, has so far:

o been told to drive to your service center;
o driven to your service center;
o waited an hour and a half for assistance;
o only to be told you can't fix the problem and been given a phone number to call;
o called the number to be told I need to go back to the service center with a special form;
o that apparently the service center didn't think to tell me about when I was there the first time?

... all this to get a birth certificate, which my employer needs for dependent verification, so that insurance will pay the hospital bill

... which won't happen by my employer's deadline because of the county's screw-up putting the birth date into the computer.

Ok. Done. Blood pressure corrected.

What a stupid county, sick the honey badger on them:smuggrin:

Brought my pup to Cornell vet ER last night, he suddenly started trembling and exhibited rear end ataxia. Several hours and several hundred dollars later they tell me he must have gotten into something toxic, so they just gave him some charcoal.

He comes home just fine, goes straight to sleep.

Wakes me up early this morning with the same exact symptoms. I take him BACK to the ER. There the diagnosis is changed and they decide that he has some spinal/neuronal thing going on. Probably a bulging disk.

Now he has to be on strict crate rest for 6 weeks. He is such a happy, loving, energetic dog is is going to be awful forcing him to be completly inactive for so long.

I also found out that his mis-diagnosed "collapsing trachea" which turned into mis-diagnosed "allergies" is actually a congenital defect where his trachea narrows more than it should.

Has been a super awesome week...

:scared:I hope you are wrong Cautionary Tail.....that would have a terrible outcome if those little ones get it...after all that work.....oh I am sending hopes your way

Fortunately, it wasn't distemper.

Unfortunately, the kitten didn't make it.

The shelter works with a horrible veterinarian I've personally had some very negative experiences with, as have a number of other people I know. I can't help but think if I'd taken her to our GP instead of the Practice from Hell, she might have had a chance. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I'd had the cojones to do it.

CT fail.

:(

Quick Rant at no one in particular:

People are so high and mighty. So quick to judge and don't take a millisecond to ponder the other side of ANYTHING. Drives me insane!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
funny-pictures-black-cat-invisible-text-message-breakup.jpg

No. I've got nothing. Just injecting some levity.

I don't know you, but I feel your pain.

Ahhh I see, well I do appreciate the gesture... it was a superb way to wake up to say the least. Hopefully Cinco de Drinko will bring me some joy.

It is certainly bringing very loud, annoying joy to all the broheims in the stupid undergrad apartment complex next door to mine. I hope they all die of alcohol poisoning.

I'm tired of being sick! I don't usually have health issues but the past almost 6 weeks has been a nightmare. Went to see the doctor on Friday (= huge waste of my time) and was told that it was a toss up between a sinus infection, back-to-back colds, a virus or bronchitis (great diagnosis, eh? Lesson learned: time for a new doctor.). He gave me allergy meds, an antibiotic and some prednisone. Really? I'm still not feeling better after the medicinal cocktail that I've been on this weekend.... I've been trying to get things done at work and finish my Masters defense presentation but just want to crawl back in bed and sleep till I'm healthy again.

:lame:

I'm tired of being sick! I don't usually have health issues but the past almost 6 weeks has been a nightmare. Went to see the doctor on Friday (= huge waste of my time) and was told that it was a toss up between a sinus infection, back-to-back colds, a virus or bronchitis (great diagnosis, eh? Lesson learned: time for a new doctor.). He gave me allergy meds, an antibiotic and some prednisone. Really? I'm still not feeling better after the medicinal cocktail that I've been on this weekend.... I've been trying to get things done at work and finish my Masters defense presentation but just want to crawl back in bed and sleep till I'm healthy again.

You and me both, sister. My mom keeps bugging me to go to the student health center, but I'm like, why? So they can tell me I have a stuffy head and a bad cough? Tell me something I don't know. I've just been self-medicating with Tylenol Severe Cold in the morning, Advil PM at night, and Halls Breezers in between. The show must go on!

Strepsils with anesthetic FTW. :thumbup:

Stupid rant: All my friends are getting their grad photos, and graduating, and posting happy "Done with undergrad!" messages on their Facebook. I should have been done with undergrad years ago. I should have been class of 2010. Instead, I'm class of 2012. I wish I'd known out of high school what I wanted to do. :(

Stupid rant: All my friends are getting their grad photos, and graduating, and posting happy "Done with undergrad!" messages on their Facebook. I should have been done with undergrad years ago. I should have been class of 2010. Instead, I'm class of 2012. I wish I'd known out of high school what I wanted to do. :(

I should've been class of 2006. I'm class of 2011. It happens. :shrug: If it makes you feel better, I have friends who already have PhDs.

Strepsils with anesthetic FTW. :thumbup:

Hah. If I knew what I wanted to do out of high school, I would have been class of 2003 from undergrad, and class of 2007 from vet school I guess? I understand your frustration but no point dwelling on it - not a huge deal in the scheme of things. :)

I got my first bachelors in 2004 so only a year away though! In 2007 I was getting a second bachelor's. :laugh:

Ouch, EllieG. That leg looks painful. I ALWAYS manage to cut myself there and on the back of my knee when shaving. I was shaving my legs while I was on a cruise boat, the boat shifted really fast, causing me to shift my weight to keep my balance. The shift caused me to dig the blade into my skin. Still have a red mark 5 years later.

You and me both, sister. My mom keeps bugging me to go to the student health center, but I'm like, why? So they can tell me I have a stuffy head and a bad cough? Tell me something I don't know. I've just been self-medicating with Tylenol Severe Cold in the morning, Advil PM at night, and Halls Breezers in between. The show must go on!

both of you: alternate ibuprofen and tylenol and if you have any chest congestion at all, get the Target brand mucinex - awesome stuff!

I have a cold AND a UTI. And this happened 3 weeks ago, too. It's like a bad luck **** storm of pain. PAAAAAIN.

I was always annoyed at the cats that came into our clinic and thought it was okay to shred me up just because they were blocked/had a UTI/other urinary issues... but now I am totally empathetic. I didn't know hell until I had a UTI.

I have a cold AND a UTI. And this happened 3 weeks ago, too. It's like a bad luck **** storm of pain. PAAAAAIN.

I was always annoyed at the cats that came into our clinic and thought it was okay to shred me up just because they were blocked/had a UTI/other urinary issues... but now I am totally empathetic. I didn't know hell until I had a UTI.

Cipro, Pyridium for the horrible bladder spasms (available in some OTC formulations), lots of water and cranberry juice. UTI's are not fun, no matter what creature you are.

Goodness...all you sick peeps - get better soon!

Cipro, Pyridium for the horrible bladder spasms (available in some OTC formulations), lots of water and cranberry juice. UTI's are not fun, no matter what creature you are.

Goodness...all you sick peeps - get better soon!

Is that the stuff that makes you pee orange koolaid? I love that stuff. Not just for its pain-relieving properties, but also for the novelty of pissing pure orange fun.

Is that the stuff that makes you pee orange koolaid? I love that stuff. Not just for its pain-relieving properties, but also for the novelty of pissing pure orange fun.

Yup - turns the pee-pee orange!

Methylene blue maketh the pee-pee blueth and Propofol given long enough will maketh the pee-pee greeneth.

:D

I understand your frustration but no point dwelling on it - not a huge deal in the scheme of things. :)

No, I'm definitely not dwelling on it (I have much bigger problems to dwell on :laugh:), it's just a moment of frustration. I didn't really care until this month when it seems like everyone but me is graduating. And my mom is so stoked for my graduation next year that she's sort of jumping the gun on things. "Oh, have you picked out your grad ring yet? You're getting grad photos done next year, aren't you? Oh, just think, next year we'll be coming into the city for your graduation!"* So I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'm pursuring what I really love and I took the time to find what I really love.

*My mom is my biggest fan, and I love her for it. :D But it is putting an early case of senioritis in my head.

I just got offered a full-time job today caring for our live animal colony at my college. The problem? I spent $2600 on flights last week because I gave up on the job search and decided to work abroad instead (for very little money, but hopefully a lot of fun). I'm going to forge ahead with my abroad plans because I've already gotten so invested in them.... but this is SO FRUSTRATING. That's EXACTLY the kind of job I wanted!!!

Alright... I've figured out my problem. Darn you Claritin! Stopped taking it this morning and feel a million times better.

:thumbup:

I hate how my face ALWAYS breaks out after finals week. Embarrassing. :(

Dear neighbor with the Yorkie,
First of all, please put your dog on a leash. My dogs don't appreciate yours running up and growling/trying to bite their faces. :sendoff: Trust me, mine would rather run free, too! Second, the sidewalk is NOT a dumping ground. Be a responsible pet owner and clean up after your animal! Yeah, it sucks and smells etc, but that's what you get for own a dog!!! AND I DON'T LIKE STEPPING IN IT WHEN IT'S DARK!! :slap:

Sincerely,
Angered broncogal12

Alright... I've figured out my problem. Darn you Claritin! Stopped taking it this morning and feel a million times better.

I do not recommend Allegra. I had SERIOUS side effects from it. Like I feel like I am dieing sudden spiked fever, nausea and terrible diarrhea. They also make you jump through hoops to get a refund.

I have also heard horror stories of it making people puke blood if they drink juice with it. Not safe stuff.

If anyone has sinus issues use the Neil med sinus rinse. That stuff really helps me during allergy season.

I feel for anyone sick right now.:hungover: I was sick for almost a month this spring. Not sure if it was allergies, just a cold or maybe a combination of several things. It went from sore throat to cough and I just ingeneral felt like crap and had sinus issues. Even prescribed Vicodin cough syrup didn't seem to help.

Last edited:
It is certainly bringing very loud, annoying joy to all the broheims in the stupid undergrad apartment complex next door to mine. I hope they all die of alcohol poisoning.

I *live* in a stupid undergrad apartment complex. In a teeny room with a poorly insulated window right by the porch where the dudebros smoke their cigs and joints. I swear, if I don't get out of here soon, I'm gonna . . . :diebanana:

Nobody take Allegra! I had SERIOUS side effects from it. Like I feel like I am dieing sudden spiked fever, nausea and terrible diarrhea. They also make you jump through hoops to get a refund.

I took Allegra seasonally for six years and had no side effects. It was the only thing at that point that would work for my allergies.

Nobody take Allegra! I had SERIOUS side effects from it. Like I feel like I am dieing sudden spiked fever, nausea and terrible diarrhea. They also make you jump through hoops to get a refund.

I have been on Allegra for about 5 years on and off. I love the stuff. I've taken Allegra-D and the regular Allegra. Works for my allergies, no side effects, even when drinking juice.

It's not a good idea to tell everyone not to take a drug just because you had a side effect because not everyone will. For example, I'm allergic to codeine but if you have knee surgery and they put you on it I'm not going to say that you're going to have a horrible reaction because you probably won't.

I have been on Allegra for about 5 years on and off. I love the stuff. I've taken Allegra-D and the regular Allegra. Works for my allergies, no side effects, even when drinking juice.

It's not a good idea to tell everyone not to take a drug just because you had a side effect because not everyone will. For example, I'm allergic to codeine but if you have knee surgery and they put you on it I'm not going to say that you're going to have a horrible reaction because you probably won't.

With how bad I felt I would want anyone to even have the chance to have to go through what I did. My husband has terrible allergies and chose not to try it it after seeing my reaction. I give the warning because most people just think it is not serious medicine because it is just for allegries and now it is even over the counter. Obviously people are going to make their own decision from my experience. I have never had a reaction or allergy to any meds before this besides some expected drowsiness. It is not like I am sensitive to medications.

I would not recommend anyone to take it with juice since it does warn that on the label. And again if I just have the chance of piling blood I am not going to try it. Just my opinion.:)

With how bad I felt I would want anyone to even have the chance to have to go through what I did. My husband has terrible allergies and chose not to try it it after seeing my reaction. I give the warning because most people just think it is not serious medicine because it is just for allegries and now it is even over the counter. Obviously people are going to make their own decision from my experience. I have never had a reaction or allergy to any meds before this besides some expected drowsiness. It is not like I am sensitive to medications.

I would not recommend anyone to take it with juice since it does warn that on the label. And again if I just have the chance of piling blood I am not going to try it. Just my opinion.:)

With how badly I felt after taking codeine I wouldn't wish it on anyone. If you want I can describe by exact symptoms to you. Maybe you'll be scared to take codeine then too. But the point is that I'm allergic to it, most people are not. As for the majority of the population that are not allergic to it, it is a great medication in the right circumstances.

Reactions to medications are miserable, that's why they're reactions and we don't take the medication anymore if we have a reaction. However, just because Allegra gave you that reaction does not mean that it is more likely to give someone a reaction than say Claritin or Zyrtec or other medications. I just think it's wrong to go saying "don't take this medication" when it gave you a reaction because there are many, many more people who have no side effects on the medication.

It's one thing to say be careful when you take Allegra, I had a reaction to it. It's another thing to say
Nobody take Allegra!

I corrected my previous statement. It was not meant to offend or upset anyone and i aplolgize if it did. It was simply a rant and a share of my opinion. Also sorry for typos. My iPod takes what I type and decides for me what word I was trying to spell.

With how badly I felt after taking codeine I wouldn't wish it on anyone. If you want I can describe by exact symptoms to you. Maybe you'll be scared to take codeine then too. But the point is that I'm allergic to it, most people are not. As for the majority of the population that are not allergic to it, it is a great medication in the right circumstances.

Reactions to medications are miserable, that's why they're reactions and we don't take the medication anymore if we have a reaction. However, just because Allegra gave you that reaction does not mean that it is more likely to give someone a reaction than say Claritin or Zyrtec or other medications. I just think it's wrong to go saying "don't take this medication" when it gave you a reaction because there are many, many more people who have no side effects on the medication.

It's one thing to say be careful when you take Allegra, I had a reaction to it. It's another thing to say

I have godawful reactions to benadryl, so no one should take that either!
Unless you want to (among other unmentionable symptoms) see dancing lions in your room. It was mildly entertaining until the other symptoms started setting in. I wanted to die. But the lions were pretty! and they knew my name!

Never had a problem with Allegra. Didn't do much for me, but I wouldnt say "nobody take it." All people are different.

Reactions to medications are miserable, that's why they're reactions and we don't take the medication anymore if we have a reaction.

This! I had a reaction to Cipro I was given for a UTI in college. Had been on it multiple times previously and then had to argue with the college health center folks ( :rolleyes: ) to explain that I did, in fact, LIKE breathing normally, and would gladly pay extra for a different drug! It was awful, but most everyone I know has been on Cipro without problems.

Around this time last year my grandma got sick with a mysterious respiratory illness. They never figured out what was wrong with her, but they put her on Prednisone for a while and that seemed to fix it.

Well, we just found out today that her left hip is shot because of all the steroids. She has to have a total hip replacement as soon as possible. The surgery is scheduled for June 9. My graduation is June 13 :( So not only will my grandma and grandpa be missing my graduation...but I'm worried about her and hoping that the surgery goes smoothly. She's not that old, not 70 yet, but its still scary.