RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had to let my golden boy go today.

These posts make me sad. I'm sorry you lost your friend, GRG, and glad he had an owner that will miss him. Hope you can hang in there for the next few weeks at school.

Members don't see this ad.

Going back there after graduation and seeing his empty corner is really going to hurt. :cry:
I'm glad he got to see the spring come. He loved to lie in the sun.

It was over a year ago that we had to put down our family dog... I -still- look for her when I go home to see my parents. Time helps, but we don't ever forget them. E-hug!

Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry to hear about your dog, GRG. I know the feeling-it still stings every time I go home and see the empty stall that used to belong to my horse who passed away in November. Time eases the pain but you never stop missing them. Lots of hugs to you-take care of yourself!!

Sorry to hear about your dog. Mine is still missing. I had to put the toys out of sight because it was too depressing. I still carry his favorite one in my truck. It's hard knowing they're gone, but it's worse when you have no idea of his status.

I know how you feel, Just a few months back we had to put down our Malinois. She was 7 years old. Last september she was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma and she lost her front leg. She was a tough girl, up until the end she was trying to kill the pool guy and the gardeners. We finally put her down because she had snapped her femur, and we didn't even know it. She didn't whine or limp. She soldiered on. :) She's in a better place now.

On the topic of losing animals, my ex-girlfriend's cat has been living with my girlfriend and roommate and I for about a month now while my ex gets her life together. My ex (and her scary new girlfriend) are coming tomorrow morning to pick her up. I didn't think I'd be upset about giving her back but I am =(

My dog just got his first skunk murder in a few years.

I threw up in my yard, lost a contact, took a shower with a dog, and now I have to go make sure the f**king skunk is actually dead. And it's finals week.

Everything is the worst.

Today was awful. At least the dog only has reverse sneezing (which actually sounds like death-throes, to us lesser trained people). Can't find much else good about today, though. Not much longer until I graduate though. Must. keep. going.

Had to let my golden boy go today. Shadow would have been 14 on June 14th but the past few days he couldn't keep anything (even water) down.

I am so sorry to hear (and sorry I am a bit late)...
it is the worst thing ever, no matter the situation, but being at school sucks big time. Definitely thinking of you, and sending hugs your way. My dog was 13 when my mom found her in the morning, she had passed in her sleep, which I have come to grips as being a good thing. It just sucked because I was not prepared for it. But then again, you never are. I was at school too, and I remember crying all day and night, even tried to go out to a party, but sat on the porch and cried. Talk about a party pooper. Her name was Shadow too and she also was a Golden. They really are irrereplacable..

Ugh. Yesterday at work I was the tech for a euthanasia that was so not smooth. The kitty was very tiny, super dehydrated, and dying of chronic renal failure. Her veins were so small and she was so dehydrated that we couldn't get our tiniest gauge catheter in, and so the vet had to give the euthanasia solution interperitoneally (sp?) after several catheter attempts. Luckily the owners were pretty understanding about the situation (and the cat was basically out of it at that point and didn't seem to be feeling much of anything), but still, that's not how you want euthanasia to go.

And then today, when I got home from work, I noticed my cat both straining to urinate and then later leaking urine. Ugh. Worried, I rushed her back to work, and left a little while later left with a diagnosis of idiopathic cystitis. Great. I hate seeing my baby so uncomfortable. Urinary problems in cats are so un-fun to deal with, and now it's one of my own cats that has the urinary problem! :( I sure hope the urinary prescription diet helps.

Ugh. Yesterday at work I was the tech for a euthanasia that was so not smooth. The kitty was very tiny, super dehydrated, and dying of chronic renal failure. Her veins were so small and she was so dehydrated that we couldn't get our tiniest gauge catheter in, and so the vet had to give the euthanasia solution interperitoneally (sp?) after several catheter attempts. Luckily the owners were pretty understanding about the situation (and the cat was basically out of it at that point and didn't seem to be feeling much of anything), but still, that's not how you want euthanasia to go.

And then today, when I got home from work, I noticed my cat both straining to urinate and then later leaking urine. Ugh. Worried, I rushed her back to work, and left a little while later left with a diagnosis of idiopathic cystitis. Great. I hate seeing my baby so uncomfortable. Urinary problems in cats are so un-fun to deal with, and now it's one of my own cats that has the urinary problem! :( I sure hope the urinary prescription diet helps.

Wow sorry you had to see that, I thought IP wasn't considered ok though and IC only with sedation. Are you sure it wasn't IC?

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate analytical chemistry. curse the man who said this class would be relevant and interesting to my course of study (and whoever made green chemistry a tiny class) :(

Wow sorry you had to see that, I thought IP wasn't considered ok though and IC only with sedation. Are you sure it wasn't IC?

We do IP at the shelter that I work at in very aggressive dogs, feral cats and tiny babies. We don't do IC even if the animal is sedated. The animal rights activists don't like IC. However I've never heard anyone, even our crazies, complain about IP.

It was definitely IP. The vet was explaining it to the Os, and why she was choosing that over IC.

I was curious so I looked up the AVMA guidelines and indeed IP is listed as the first alternative to IV as long as a nonirritating solution (not sure which ones those are) is used.

At least she's a girl. Having a male cat with FIC is like a ticking time bomb countdown to PU surgery. And I have one with one strike down and he's only a little over a year old.

At least she's a girl. Having a male cat with FIC is like a ticking time bomb countdown to PU surgery. And I have one with one strike down and he's only a little over a year old.

Oh dang, he's only over a year old? That sucks.

Last edited:
This is the week before finals and we had a major storm here today - the power has been off on campus since 8:30 am and we are currently under a tornado warning. I'm working an overnight at the emergency clinic luckily where there is power and isn't in the eye of the storm. If you are the praying kind, say one for the Southeast US, as Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee are being hit hard right now (golf-ball sized hail, etc).
The professor I do research with lost his house and his cat today.

analytical chemistry exam thursday morning + multiple severe tornado warnings = not a good way to spend the evening (talk about piling on the stress :( )
at least i have a basement with couches and the pig has a carrier

analytical chemistry exam thursday morning + multiple severe tornado warnings = not a good way to spend the evening (talk about piling on the stress :( )
at least i have a basement with couches and the pig has a carrier

I had an 8:00 am this morning, and I use my phone as an alarm and it blared when I got the warning at 12 something.

Unfortunately, we live in a second floor apartment, my bed is next to a window, and all of our rooms have windows except my bathroom, which is tiny.
So I went and told my roommate (who was still awake) to pull me out of bed if she saw it coming :laugh: Of course my other roommate slept through the whole thing :sleep:

The tornado warnings hit us right at 7AM, just as I was getting ready to head to the printing lab to print out my public speaking presentation. I took my life in my hands and went anyway, only to have the very concerned staff tell me to go straight back to my dorm room. Went to 8AM Public Speaking instead and had to explain to the prof that I couldn't present because of the tornado warnings he was having us flagrantly disregard. Then got to walk home in the heaviest rain I've ever witnessed with very close lightning strikes every other minute.

On the bright side, no tornadoes! That I know of.

Just got a text from my friend. She's at the hospital, possible diagnosis of limbic encephalitis. Any spare thoughts you guys have got would be awesome. She's got a host of other medical issues, and a toddler and really doesn't need this. :(

The storms were pretty bad here in Knoxville--I think at least half the city is driving around with dents and broken windows from hail. I was lucky enough not to get any broken windows, but my car is dented up. My family near Chattanooga is safe, although my roommate did have a tree fall on her family's house (they are safe). I'll be keeping everyone in that area in my thoughts and prayers!

Just got a text from my friend. She's at the hospital, possible diagnosis of limbic encephalitis. Any spare thoughts you guys have got would be awesome. She's got a host of other medical issues, and a toddler and really doesn't need this. :(

I'm really sorry, that is very sad. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

Well... I know this is minor compared to the devastation around, but I am still currently without power at my house. I am at school, which has power, but I don't study well at school. I do much better in my study nook at my apartment, not stuck in a drab room in the the library.

Not that there is a good time for tornadoes and lots of wind damage, but this is the week where I have tests and papers, and finals next week. They are saying it could be several days before my part of town gets power back... FML.

Thinking of you guys with all that nasty weather!

I have a pretty minor rant today, but please don't chew me out for not doing something that 1) is not my responsibility as someone who doesn't even work with you, 2) I just did that morning because I saw it needed to be done, and 3) you never once expressed concern about. If this is the first time I'm hearing from you about something I am apparently doing wrong, please have the decency to speak to me like an adult instead of pointing fingers and yelling at me in front of other people.

despite all of the studying and hard work i've put into analytical chemistry, it looks like i'm going to have to withdraw to avoid risking putting bad marks on my transcript and killing my gpa for the semester. and lose my chemistry minor. *sigh*

EDIT: after 3.5 hours of tracking down advisors and people, there appears to be hope (decent hope) after all. yay for not having to beat myself up over withdrawing!

Last edited:
Back story: So I've worked for a local hotel for about 15 years as an F&B supervisor, I recently put in my 1 month resignation notice because the clinic I work at will be taking me to full time (so excited yay). I'm the last supervisor left in my department and you would think after 15 years I would recieve some respect.

So last night I had a very large radio station have its four year reunion at my hotel. The GM wanted three portable bars setup, and a buffet for anyone who may want food. OK, I can do that no problem. After a $2000 worth of bar revenue, 11 hours of work, about $500 in buffet sales, I have the kitchen supervisor flag me down and start bullying me about my morning staff. Umm ok I'm not here in the morning, I have full time school all day during the week not to mention I work at a vet hospital on my days off and mornings off so I'll chat with them when I see them. Ohh but thats not good enough, she continues her bullying attitude. She then begins telling me, in a very rude tone I must say, how my staff and I are worthless and I need to start writing so and so up, I replied "ok I'll review the situation with my staff." Throughout all of this I remain calm as always and walk out of the kitchen. I get it, she's stressed out from something, we are all a bit stretched to our limits atm, but please don't take it out on the really nice guy that does everything he can for everyone. I know I'm a target because I'm nice, happy, and positive but please, an attitude like hers will not make me help her.

Thanks for letting me rant folks. :D

The first litter of kittens we fostered will be ready to return to the shelter in a few days for adoption purposes.

A few days ago, they sent another young kitten home with me. She was unwell, but it was thought to be a combination of failure to thrive and injuries sustained under the prior owner's care (she was removed by a social worker).

Now I'm worried that she could potentially have distemper. The kittens haven't been allowed to mingle, but I have handled them while wearing the same clothes.

This is not good.

Last edited:
I didn't get the job I really wanted at the lowcost spay/neuter clinic :( I'm bummed because I was perfectly qualified for the job (imho), and I thought it would be perfect for me. Not only that, but the woman I interviewed with last week said she would call me in a couple of days to let me know, and I had to call her today, six days later, to find out that I hadn't gotten the job. Which means that the new person is already there working today. Blah.
And just to whine a little more, I planted my garden on Saturday, and we haven't seen a drop of sunshine since, just rain rain rain. All my beautiful seedings are going to drown before they get a chance to flourish outdoors.
I'm just really bummed today and don't know what to do with myself.

The first litter of kittens we fostered will be ready to return to the shelter in a few days for adoption purposes.

A few days ago, they sent another young kitten home with me. She was unwell, but it was thought to be a combination of failure to thrive and injuries sustained under the prior owner's care (she was removed by a social worker).

Now I'm worried that she could potentially have distemper. The kittens haven't been allowed to mingle, but I have handled them while wearing the same clothes.

This is not good.

:scared:I hope you are wrong Cautionary Tail.....that would have a terrible outcome if those little ones get it...after all that work.....oh I am sending hopes your way

Last night my husband and I were at our neighbors apartment for movie night. They are a couple about our age and have a dog almost exactly the same size as ours so we get together pretty often.

The dogs were playing as usual, but they both started getting really rough and were bumping into us. My husband and I both had drinks with very dark juice in our hands. I told them repeatedly to calm down, but after not listening and almost spilling my drink I finally gave Scooter a smack and told him to calm down. He immediately did, but I got a "your terrible" look:mad: and a pretty snappy response from our neighbor even suggesting that we take our dog home if I didn't want him playing. Her reaction was because she didn't agree with me smacking Scooter.

This especially ticked me off as their dog although good most of the time is an excessive barker and has been known to bite people. Not that she is drawing blood, but she is still making marks on the skin. Later in the evening I witnessed her bite her owner and he did nothing more than to say ouch and announce to us that she bit him. She went on to bite my husband later.

HELLO discipline your dog! I have never hit scooter any harder than what would cause a small sting for about 5 seconds and that is even if he is just really out of line. More than anything it is just a tap that hurts his feelings which is why it is an effective form of discipline.

I am completely against beating your dog or even using kicking or hard hits to discipline, but I should not get looked at like I am the devil because I keep my dog in line with a small smack. Our dog is loved and treated like his is our kid, but he is also really well behaved because we discipline him when needed (which is really only maybe once a week). We can take him anywhere and have him be around any other animals or people without worrying at all. I would rather hurt his feelings when he is out of line with a quick smack than to have a dog that believes it is the alpha of the house and can not be trusted.

I posted about a week ago in the "Rave" thread about how my dog, who I thought had a collapsing trachea and would need invasive/expensive surgery was properly diagnosed as only having allergies and tracheitis.

Well.. one week later...

-The meds (basic pred and anti-hitamine) should have improved him significantly. He is still exactly the same.
- There were no neutrophils in his tracheal wash. The neutrophil on the vet's slide probably came from the mouth and not the trachea (it was a swab taken off the tracheal tube)
- The radiologist that was a consultant has not gotten back to my vet. There could still be physiological problems that were not caught before.

So basically this is not going to be a simple fix like I thought it was.

I seriously feel like a kid that had been told they were going to Disney World only to be trolled later and told it was a lie. :( I was so excited at the prospect of it just being allergies.

Life has been SUPER fond of giving me fake good news lately. It sucks.

Philadelphia Flyers. End rant.

Sorry to hear all that Awaring, hopefully things work out for you and your pup :(

Allergies suck. Seriously, my eyeballs feel like they have trees growing IN them...Grrrr

Last night my husband and I were at our neighbors apartment for movie night. They are a couple about our age and have a dog almost exactly the same size as ours so we get together pretty often.

The dogs were playing as usual, but they both started getting really rough and were bumping into us. My husband and I both had drinks with very dark juice in our hands. I told them repeatedly to calm down, but after not listening and almost spilling my drink I finally gave Scooter a smack and told him to calm down. He immediately did, but I got a "your terrible" look:mad: and a pretty snappy response from our neighbor even suggesting that we take our dog home if I didn't want him playing. Her reaction was because she didn't agree with me smacking Scooter.

This especially ticked me off as their dog although good most of the time is an excessive barker and has been known to bite people. Not that she is drawing blood, but she is still making marks on the skin. Later in the evening I witnessed her bite her owner and he did nothing more than to say ouch and announce to us that she bit him. She went on to bite my husband later.

HELLO discipline your dog! I have never hit scooter any harder than what would cause a small sting for about 5 seconds and that is even if he is just really out of line. More than anything it is just a tap that hurts his feelings which is why it is an effective form of discipline.

I am completely against beating your dog or even using kicking or hard hits to discipline, but I should not get looked at like I am the devil because I keep my dog in line with a small smack. Our dog is loved and treated like his is our kid, but he is also really well behaved because we discipline him when needed (which is really only maybe once a week). We can take him anywhere and have him be around any other animals or people without worrying at all. I would rather hurt his feelings when he is out of line with a quick smack than to have a dog that believes it is the alpha of the house and can not be trusted.

I know that's frustrating. I have a little English bulldog puppy and he gets out of control sometime cause he gets so excited. The other day we were out and he went to jump up on a woman who was sitting in a chair with a LITTLE baby in her lap. He was just excited and wanted to say hi but I could just see a disaster unfolding (he could knock into the baby, scratch her, etc) so I grabbed him, told him NO and gave him a swift tap on the nose.

I always feel guilty for it though, like "are people going to judge me for this?!" (especially since I'm often around other vet students with their (mostly) well behaved older dogs). But I would rather stop a bad situation from happening than allow him to potentially hurt someone. It's hard because he's a puppy but he's 50lbs so I need him to behave properly - he could hurt someone just with his weight.

I personally think there is a huge difference between beating your pet and using a light smack/tap. I also don't have a problem with spanking your kids though and apparently that's now taboo and "abuse" but that's a whole mother story

Don't worry! Not all hope is lost. I have a 10 yr old with chronic UTI issues and he has been stable, with no issues (knock on wood) for several months! He had a huge stone that dissolved and I was panicked to say the least. C/D is a life saver.

I personally think there is a huge difference between beating your pet and using a light smack/tap. I also don't have a problem with spanking your kids though and apparently that's now taboo and "abuse" but that's a whole mother story

Mother story. HA! :p

I sheared off a nice strip of my leg shaving last night, about 1/4" wide and maybe an inch and a half long. The shower looked like the scene of a shark attack. I am a blood wimp but managed to finish my shower quickly without passing out. I made my girlfriend come and stop the bleeding and put band-aids on (two layers, because it kept bleeding through) as I laid there on the floor trying not to faint. I managed to change the band-aids this morning myself, but like...ugh. :barf:

Don't worry! Not all hope is lost. I have a 10 yr old with chronic UTI issues and he has been stable, with no issues (knock on wood) for several months! He had a huge stone that dissolved and I was panicked to say the least. C/D is a life saver.

Agreed! Definitely do not give up hope.

Two of my family's cats have had chronic urinary issues since they were very young. One of them turned 13 this year, the other is ~5. They both do quite well on prescription food. That isn't to say we don't have the occasional urinary tract infection (and related inappropriate elimination), but it has been a lot better than we feared.

I sheared off a nice strip of my leg shaving last night, about 1/4" wide and maybe an inch and a half long. The shower looked like the scene of a shark attack. I am a blood wimp but managed to finish my shower quickly without passing out. I made my girlfriend come and stop the bleeding and put band-aids on (two layers, because it kept bleeding through) as I laid there on the floor trying not to faint. I managed to change the band-aids this morning myself, but like...ugh. :barf:

My goodness! Do you use a machete to shave? Try Venus razors. I know they are expensive, but the refills last me a really long time. They don't seem to dull as easy as other razors.

I always feel guilty for it though, like "are people going to judge me for this?!" (especially since I'm often around other vet students with their (mostly) well behaved older dogs). But I would rather stop a bad situation from happening than allow him to potentially hurt someone. y

GellaBella,

I know the guilt feeling. It doesn't help that Scooter crotches down with his tail between his legs like we beat him regularly. That could have been part of the reason I got the reaction I did. At least he does forgive me just minutes later and we are back to being best friends. Good for you for disciplining him. Some dogs are just more wild than others and the owner can't be to blame for that, but at least you are making attempts to keep him in line. I am fine with a dog that runs me over as long as the owner is trying to do something about it. It is the ones that sit there and say sorry, but don't even do anything to the dog that push my buttons.

I personally think there's a huge difference between dogs and children. I think that anything above a tap on the nose isn't a good idea. A lot of people justify using shock collars by saying, "Oh, but its only like a 'tap'!" When in reality studies have concluded/shown/presented results that dogs who were on shock collars were more anxious and more likely to be aggressive because they never knew if/when the shock was coming. While I think dogs are sensitive and intelligent animals, I think people tend to anthropomorphize to varying degrees.

(Also, OP, the "alpha" theory has, from my understanding, been debunked.)

Not to attack anyone. Just putting out what I've learned from reading through the interwebz :)

I personally think there's a huge difference between dogs and children. I think that anything above a tap on the nose isn't a good idea. A lot of people justify using shock collars by saying, "Oh, but its only like a 'tap'!" When in reality studies have concluded/shown/presented results that dogs who were on shock collars were more anxious and more likely to be aggressive because they never knew if/when the shock was coming. While I think dogs are sensitive and intelligent animals, I think people tend to anthropomorphize to varying degrees.

(Also, OP, the "alpha" theory has, from my understanding, been debunked.)

Not to attack anyone. Just putting out what I've learned from reading through the interwebz :)

Two cents:

I have a remote collar and it's probably the only thing that makes my dog manageable on leash or with other animals.

I can count the number of corrections I've given him in the last year on two hands. He's less anxious, and much less aggressive while wearing it.

Like most things, they only work when used correctly and competently.

I would like to read that study though.

Two cents:

I have a remote collar and it's probably the only thing that makes my dog manageable on leash or with other animals.

I can count the number of corrections I've given him in the last year on two hands. He's less anxious, and much less aggressive while wearing it.

Like most things, they only work when used correctly and competently.

I would like to read that study though.

There are many such studies. I don't have time now, but one can find them by simply using a Google search. If you'd like, I can come back and find them later.