RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So frustrated, the city my parents live in just issued a warning telling people to not come into any contact whatsoever with any of the water in the city's water supply because it's been contaminated with an asphalt emulsifier that was somehow spilled into the water supply by a company in town. You can't even bathe in it without potentially getting chemical burns.

This is ludicrous and it's the fourth water ban this city has had in a year and a half, although it's the first one of this magnitude (no bathing & boiling won't make the water safe).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
24 hours to my biochem final and i think I'm coming down with a stomach bug..

Members don't see this ad :)
So frustrated, the city my parents live in just issued a warning telling people to not come into any contact whatsoever with any of the water in the city's water supply because it's been contaminated with an asphalt emulsifier that was somehow spilled into the water supply by a company in town. You can't even bathe in it without potentially getting chemical burns.

This is ludicrous and it's the fourth water ban this city has had in a year and a half, although it's the first one of this magnitude (no bathing & boiling won't make the water safe).
No kidding--I don't live there and am not affected by the ban, but I got an emergency text alert from a community college I took classes at. It was pretty vague and only mentioned that classes would continue as scheduled and water/hand sanitizer would be provided, so I was confused and wondering what happened...then I saw the trending topics on twitter. SMH

I live in a smaller town (and more out in the country, I think our supply is from well water and not related to my town water supply if I'm remembering correctly?), so luckily I'm never affected by these Corpus water issues! It makes me wonder what the aquarium has to do in these situations, though...

That's crazy. Are you leaving town while this is going on, or do they know how long it will take to fix?

No kidding--I don't live there and am not affected by the ban, but I got an emergency text alert from a community college I took classes at. It was pretty vague and only mentioned that classes would continue as scheduled and water/hand sanitizer would be provided, so I was confused and wondering what happened...then I saw the trending topics on twitter. SMH
Yeah, Corpus is a train wreck on such a regular basis that it honestly surprises me sometimes. I've never seen such a large city be so consistently mismanaged. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if news about large scale embezzling schemes with city money came out in the next ten years.

Reactions: 1 users

After they fix it, will they have a pipe corrosion problem like Flint? Not cool. I hope it is an easier fix than I am imagining.

That's crazy. Are you leaving town while this is going on, or do they know how long it will take to fix?
I'm not there right now, so I'm hoping it'll get resolved before I come back around next Friday or so. My parents aren't leaving, but I'm not sure what they're doing. The city just told everyone to buy bottled water and use it for everything (like, up to and including bathing and washing hands), but pretty much every place in town is out of water already. Police have to monitor lines in some stores to keep fights from breaking out. Total madhouse.

After they fix it, will they have a pipe corrosion problem like Flint? Not cool. I hope it is an easier fix than I am imagining.
The infrastructure in Corpus as a whole needs some serious overhauls, and I think things like this will keep happening until the system is entirely replaced, which I doubt will happen anytime soon. The previous water bans were all due to bacteria in the water, but I also don't know anyone who drinks the Corpus water anyway because it pretty much smells like bleach from all the stuff they have to put in it to keep it "clean".

The infrastructure in Corpus as a whole needs some serious overhauls, and I think things like this will keep happening until the system is entirely replaced, which I doubt will happen anytime soon. The previous water bans were all due to bacteria in the water, but I also don't know anyone who drinks the Corpus water anyway because it pretty much smells like bleach from all the stuff they have to put in it to keep it "clean".
Yuck.

My hubs went to grad school there and I remember him talking about the water... but not much detail.

I've been feeling off since Friday. Figured it was because I hadn't been sleeping enough. Yesterday my throat started feeling a bit sore, and today it full on feels like it's on fire and I'm all achy :(

I'm glad this didn't happen during finals, but I had a holiday party to go to tonight and I'm driving home tomorrow (6ish hours if the weather stays good). Boooooooo. Horrible start to break :(

Last edited:
What an incredibly crappy day. My friend's little kitten died under anesthesia during his neuter, the parasit section of my exam was absolutely absurd (not even overly hard...just incredibly irrelevant), and some guy threatened to make/publish sexually explicit images with stolen pictures of my 6 month old niece.

Just 100% done.

What an incredibly crappy day. My friend's little kitten died under anesthesia during his neuter, the parasit section of my exam was absolutely absurd (not even overly hard...just incredibly irrelevant), and some guy threatened to make/publish sexually explicit images with stolen pictures of my 6 month old niece.

Just 100% done.
Jesus :(

Members don't see this ad :)
That moment where everyone is past the point of sad and is just laughing at how bad that exam was. At least there is only 1 left.

Reactions: 3 users
Just overwhelming. I think my brother in law is getting the police involved regarding the pictures, or at least is going to file a report. As much as I get annoyed with my sister for wasting her time on Facebook flame wars, she should be able to voice her opinions like everyone else without having to worry about some disturbed human threatening her daughter.

Just as an update, she's still missing. She has had over 700 shares on facebook which is great. People have reached out offering to do this or that because I'm poor as heck and don't have the means to do a whole lot (like make fliers and stuff). Getting nervous because it's been in the teens here and snowing on and off.

I go to Cornell and have seen multiple shares of your missing dog, I just shared the post! I really hope she turns up soon, it's absolutely freezing in Ithaca right now :( Please keep us posted!

Just as an update, she's still missing. She has had over 700 shares on facebook which is great. People have reached out offering to do this or that because I'm poor as heck and don't have the means to do a whole lot (like make fliers and stuff). Getting nervous because it's been in the teens here and snowing on and off.
There are a lot of stories about dogs and cats who survived the polar vortex a few years back (when it was -20 to -30 in some places before wind chill), so don't give up hope! Lost pets can be pretty crafty when it comes to staying warm and getting food.

I go to Cornell and have seen multiple shares of your missing dog, I just shared the post! I really hope she turns up soon, it's absolutely freezing in Ithaca right now :( Please keep us posted!

Thank you so much. I'm glad it's becoming so widespread, but I'm afraid it's spreading in the "wrong" direction -- I'm not sure a lot of people in the area she actually went missing are seeing it.

Someone is making high quality posters for me and we're going to be posting them tomorrow. I'm really devastated and miss her so much.

That moment where everyone is past the point of sad and is just laughing at how bad that exam was. At least there is only 1 left.
Special Path? I feel like I was laughing realllly hard at that final last year...

Keep trucking, you are SO CLOSE to winter break!

Special Path? I feel like I was laughing realllly hard at that final last year...

Keep trucking, you are SO CLOSE to winter break!

Yup lol. Even the professor who is normally nice to us from the other sections of path wasn't so nice to us on this final.

Hopefully the pharm one is a bit less funny...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ugh. I was so excited to be done with my first semester of vet school today and finally go home, but now some of my grades are up... and quite a few are worse than I expected. There's classes I was confident that I'd earn at least a B in that are Cs. Like, "easy" classes. My mental health and motivation were practically nothing during the middle of the semester, but I felt like I finished strongly. Just apparently not strongly enough to make a difference. :(

Now I'm seriously beginning to panic about me possibly not getting to come back next semester due to academics. Maybe the fear is unfounded, but... instead of being happy to be on break, I seriously feel like the biggest idiot right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. I was so excited to be done with my first semester of vet school today and finally go home, but now some of my grades are up... and quite a few are worse than I expected. There's classes I was confident that I'd earn at least a B in that are Cs. Like, "easy" classes. My mental health and motivation were practically nothing during the middle of the semester, but I felt like I finished strongly. Just apparently not strongly enough to make a difference. :(

Now I'm seriously beginning to panic about me possibly not getting to come back next semester due to academics. Maybe the fear is unfounded, but... instead of being happy to be on break, I seriously feel like the biggest idiot right now.
A couple Cs shouldn't keep you from coming back, should it?

You're done. You've done the best you can. Time to learn to not worry about what you can't control or can no longer control. Just hang in there. If it turns out your grades do prevent you from returning, see about the possibility of coming back with the next class. I know many now graduated vets who had to bump down to the class below due to academics. I've been near that position myself. I failed a course my first year and well, it worked out. Just hang in there and let go of that which you can not change. I hope you are able to return next semester and when you do let's have a good chat about strategies that turned me from nearly failing to doing ok. Maybe they will help you. Hang in there. :)

Reactions: 8 users
A C- in a chem lab is a pretty small thing in the grand scheme of things, and definitely not worth hating yourself over. Undergrad convinces you to define yourself in terms of numbers, but we are all so much more. Chin up, it really will be okay!
i
Yeah, ive made my peace with it a little bit haha. Trying to confirm that either a C- counts as a pre-req for vet schools (I know it does for some. Dont think it does for UGA...) and if I can retake JUST the lab, but no one will answer my damn emails....ugh...

i
Yeah, ive made my peace with it a little bit haha. Trying to confirm that either a C- counts as a pre-req for vet schools (I know it does for some. Dont think it does for UGA...) and if I can retake JUST the lab, but no one will answer my damn emails....ugh...

Most schools require a C. Do you get separate grades on your transcript for lab and for lecture? If so you should be able to retake just the lab...

You're done. You've done the best you can. Time to learn to not worry about what you can't control or can no longer control. Just hang in there. If it turns out your grades do prevent you from returning, see about the possibility of coming back with the next class. I know many now graduated vets who had to bump down to the class below due to academics. I've been near that position myself. I failed a course my first year and well, it worked out. Just hang in there and let go of that which you can not change. I hope you are able to return next semester and when you do let's have a good chat about strategies that turned me from nearly failing to doing ok. Maybe they will help you. Hang in there. :)
Thanks, DVMD. I'd love to hear about your strategies whenever you've got time. :)

Sandy, you said yourself that the middle of the semester was hard on you, and that in the last few weeks you felt like you were hitting your stride and finding study techniques that worked for you. If you do happen to end up on probation, there is no reason to doubt that you can pick your grades up. You figured it out by the end, and you now know what to expect for semester 2.

You can do it! Don't let yourself think otherwise :)

Reactions: 2 users
Most schools require a C. Do you get separate grades on your transcript for lab and for lecture? If so you should be able to retake just the lab...
Yes, the transcript grades are seperate. At my school they are co-reqs and you need special permission to take the lecture without the lab, or vice versa. And im mad because a C- wasn't listed on the syllabus, yet I recieved it anyway. So I'm trying to get in touch with the lab coordinator, and the person in charge of lab registration exceptions and haven't been able to get ahold of anyone...ugh.

Holy crap, I pulled straight Cs with one C-. The only class I don't know my grade for yet is radiology.

Uggggggghhhhhhh...

ETA: Okay, and presumably I did fine in careers because that is literally pass/fail. But still.

No, but I think that I have more than a couple of Cs, with maybe a C- or two mixed in. We have to maintain above 2.0 here to remain in good standing. To actually get kicked out, you have to outright fail a core class, but anything <2.0 gets you on academic probation and, if you don't improve the GPA the next semester, you are dismissed.

I don't think I failed anything, or at least I really freaking hope that I didn't; after today, I'm not so sure. Regardless, I would imagine that my GPA is going to be marginal. I have to do better next semester.

I'm just more disappointed in myself than anything and can't help but feel that there were likely lots of applicants who weren't accepted who would have been such better students than I was this semester. I know it's dumb and that I can't think that way but... it's hard when you see a C in an easy show-up-and-pass class that you seriously thought that you had at least a B or B+ in and think about what that means for the actually difficult classes you actually were super worried about.
I think you will do better next semester. And we're all here for you if you need help :) unless a class is literally pass/fail, it's not really a show up and pass class! Even the ones that seem easy can be tricky. The good thing is those classes are usually worth fewer credits, so have less of an impact on your GPA. This was true for our physical diagnosis class, which seemed easy on the surface but I know the exams actually tripped some people up.

No, but I think that I have more than a couple of Cs, with maybe a C- or two mixed in. We have to maintain above 2.0 here to remain in good standing. To actually get kicked out, you have to outright fail a core class, but anything <2.0 gets you on academic probation and, if you don't improve the GPA the next semester, you are dismissed.

I don't think I failed anything, or at least I really freaking hope that I didn't; after today, I'm not so sure. Regardless, I would imagine that my GPA is going to be marginal. I have to do better next semester.

I'm just more disappointed in myself than anything and can't help but feel that there were likely lots of applicants who weren't accepted who would have been such better students than I was this semester. I know it's dumb and that I can't think that way but... it's hard when you see a C in an easy show-up-and-pass class that you seriously thought that you had at least a B or B+ in and think about what that means for the actually difficult classes you actually were super worried about.

Wait, does your school have a +/- system?

We technically aren't supposed to bring our dogs to work, but because clin path has a separate office from all the other residents and our faculty has historically turned a blind eye to it. For the past month my dog and another resident's pit bull have had some minor problems on 2-3 occasions. Mostly growling, but there was an instance when I heard the pit growl, then mine growl, and then my dog came away with a scrape on the top of his muzzle so I stopped bringing mine unless I was going to be in the office all day to monitor them because regardless of who was instigating it (which wasn't 100% clear initially), my 20lb dog would probably lose to the bigger dog in a fight.

Today the other dog came up to me at my desk, my dog sniffed him, and the other dog gave mine a lip curl. I shooed the pit away from my half of the office and figured that was the end of it, but about a half hour later the other dog went after the third resident's shepherd who was just walking over to her owner (seemingly unprovoked attack). I heard it and the shepherd's owner witnessed it. The shepherd was ultimately fine, but we told the pit's owner what happened and he got upset. We asked him not to tell our faculty and we'd just handle it ourselves because they'd just take away our ability to bring them at all, but he insisted since he decided the dog needed to move into the lab for the afternoon (why it couldn't go into a ward I don't know). Then he proceeded to be very grumpy all afternoon and was short with us. Sorry dude, it's not our fault your dog can't handle itself and be nice.

The dog is generally a sweet dog, is great with people, and I haven't ever been fearful to leave them all loose in our office unattended until this past month. I'm a firm believer that pit bulls aren't inherently bad dogs and it's more about how they were raised, but this one was a rescued dogfighting dog and the foster before my residentmate adopted it kept it in the garage for almost a year because they didn't trust it with her other pets. I really think he should just stop bringing his dog period if it can't get along with everyone else but he insists on being able to when he's the primary resident on duty. So now the shepherd's owner and I are coming up with an elaborate schedule of which one of us can skip out at noon to let each other's animals out on weeks when the pit bull comes to work with his owner since her 14 year old lab can't hold it all day...or at least we are until our faculty sit down and decide we can't bring them at all. I just hate that the unpredictable dog is probably ruining things for everyone.

Ew. just ew.
It's weird, it looks like we have pluses here but not minuses? At least I'm fairly sure that my grade in one class should have had a minus, but it didnt. And I had a plus in another class. Which is great if it's true, those minuses really suck.

We technically aren't supposed to bring our dogs to work, but because clin path has a separate office from all the other residents and our faculty has historically turned a blind eye to it. For the past month my dog and another resident's pit bull have had some minor problems on 2-3 occasions. Mostly growling, but there was an instance when I heard the pit growl, then mine growl, and then my dog came away with a scrape on the top of his muzzle so I stopped bringing mine unless I was going to be in the office all day to monitor them because regardless of who was instigating it (which wasn't 100% clear initially), my 20lb dog would probably lose to the bigger dog in a fight.

Today the other dog came up to me at my desk, my dog sniffed him, and the other dog gave mine a lip curl. I shooed the pit away from my half of the office and figured that was the end of it, but about a half hour later the other dog went after the third resident's shepherd who was just walking over to her owner (seemingly unprovoked attack). I heard it and the shepherd's owner witnessed it. The shepherd was ultimately fine, but we told the pit's owner what happened and he got upset. We asked him not to tell our faculty because they'd just take away our ability to bring them at all, but he insisted since he decided the dog needed to move into the lab for the afternoon (why it couldn't go into a ward I don't know). Then he proceeded to be very grumpy all afternoon and was short with us. Sorry dude, it's not our fault your dog can't handle itself and be nice.

The dog is generally a sweet dog, is great with people, and I haven't ever been fearful to leave them all loose in our office unattended until this past month. I'm a firm believer that pit bulls aren't inherently bad dogs and it's more about how they were raised, but this one was a rescued dogfighting dog and the foster before my residentmate adopted it kept it in the garage for almost a year because they didn't trust it with her other pets. I really think he should just stop bringing his dog period if it can't get along with everyone else but he insists on being able to when he's the primary resident on duty. So now the shepherd's owner and I are coming up with an elaborate schedule of which one of us can skip out at noon to let each other's animals out on weeks when the pit bull comes to work with his owner since her 14 year old lab can't hold it all day...or at least we are until our faculty sit down and decide we can't bring them at all. I just hate that the unpredictable dog is probably ruining things for everyone.
It's understandable that a dog that was formerly involved in dog fighting might not be the most dog friendly...dude should just accept that and not bring his dog in :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users

Today the other dog came up to me at my desk, my dog sniffed him, and the other dog gave mine a lip curl. I shooed the pit away from my half of the office and figured that was the end of it, but about a half hour later the other dog went after the third resident's shepherd who was just walking over to her owner (seemingly unprovoked attack). I heard it and the shepherd's owner witnessed it. The shepherd was ultimately fine, but we told the pit's owner what happened and he got upset. We asked him not to tell our faculty because they'd just take away our ability to bring them at all, but he insisted since he decided the dog needed to move into the lab for the afternoon (why it couldn't go into a ward I don't know). Then he proceeded to be very grumpy all afternoon and was short with us. Sorry dude, it's not our fault your dog can't handle itself and be nice.

Man. it's always hard to get that behavior out of them. maybe the dog is a chewer and that's why he insists on bringing him. my pit can chew his way out of a plastic crate so I understand. Even then, that's a much easier habit to break than agression

Today the other dog came up to me at my desk, my dog sniffed him, and the other dog gave mine a lip curl. I shooed the pit away from my half of the office and figured that was the end of it, but about a half hour later the other dog went after the third resident's shepherd who was just walking over to her owner (seemingly unprovoked attack). I heard it and the shepherd's owner witnessed it. The shepherd was ultimately fine, but we told the pit's owner what happened and he got upset. We asked him not to tell our faculty and we'd just handle it ourselves because they'd just take away our ability to bring them at all, but he insisted since he decided the dog needed to move into the lab for the afternoon (why it couldn't go into a ward I don't know). Then he proceeded to be very grumpy all afternoon and was short with us. Sorry dude, it's not our fault your dog can't handle itself and be nice.

Unfortunately that's very common for former dogfighting dogs. They're often trained to be incredibly people friendly (biting handlers is an automatic disqualification in many dogfighting matches) but can generally be extremely animal aggressive, for understandable reasons. I'm surprised he felt comfortable bringing an animal with a known history of dog aggression to a place where it would have unsupervised contact around other dogs.

Dog aggression doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad dog, but it does mean that situations where that dog will be around other animals need to be managed carefully so the dog doesn't cause harm to itself or other pets/people. It feels a little like he's setting his dog up to fail. :/

Reactions: 2 users
Man. it's always hard to get that behavior out of them. maybe the dog is a chewer and that's why he insists on bringing him. my pit can chew his way out of a plastic crate so I understand. Even then, that's a much easier habit to break than agression

In theory it's because of our hours. We routinely work 12 hours (which admittedly is less than some residents) and can't leave for lunch when we're on clinics and no one wants to pay a dog sitter to come mid day to take the dog out because we're poor residents. Until Thanksgiving I brought my dog every day...he could easily be left 12 hours alone at home without a problem, but he behaves, is quiet, and I just prefer having him there so I can see him at lunch and take him outside. So I can understand just wanting to bring them just because you can. But if mine was causing problems I just wouldn't take him. What baffles me about it though is that the first two months I was here he brought the dog in literally maybe two to three times and each time was when something was wrong with the dog. We'd joke that oh, Pitty is here, what'd you find wrong with him now. But lately it's been almost every day even with the known problems.

Oh well. I'm mostly just venting to get it off of my chest. I am more frustrated with the way it's being handled than the fact that the dog has the issues in the first place, those are understandable and overall he's a sweet dog. It's really just 1/3 of the time that my dog won't be able to come and I'm fine with that if it means he's safe. I just wish we weren't in this situation at all.

Unfortunately that's very common for former dogfighting dogs. They're often trained to be incredibly people friendly (biting handlers is an automatic disqualification in many dogfighting matches) but can generally be extremely animal aggressive, for understandable reasons. I'm surprised he felt comfortable bringing an animal with a known history of dog aggression to a place where it would have unsupervised contact around other dogs.

Pitty was reportedly the bait dog and has scars all over his face and forelimbs that could support that. Who knows though. I was told he was brought to the school with open wounds, heartworm disease, fleas, etc and a faculty fostered him until he got better. I'm not sure how much of his story is actually known and how much is assumed, which I think rescues do quite a bit. :shrug:

Can anyone think of anything I can do to prep for next semester over break? I've been home about 24 hours and I'm bored as hell lol

Study the backs of your eyelids.
Seriously, if I had a solid week to just sleep I'd be in heaven. I went home for a week at Thanksgiving and did get to sleep in, but I had a lot of people to see in a short amount of time so it wasn't as restful as I wished it was. It was still great to be home though.

Seriously, if I had a solid week to just sleep I'd be in heaven. I went home for a week at Thanksgiving and did get to sleep in, but I had a lot of people to see in a short amount of time so it wasn't as restful as I wished it was. It was still great to be home though.
Aww, sorry that your week off wasn't as relaxing as you'd hoped; at least you did get to go home, though. :)

I'm just really trying to get my grades off of my mind and enjoy my time off. Easier said than done with how this semester went, though.

Holy crap, I pulled straight Cs with one C-. The only class I don't know my grade for yet is radiology.

Uggggggghhhhhhh...

ETA: Okay, and presumably I did fine in careers because that is literally pass/fail. But still.

I would bet that it will get better. One of my worst semester was my first ... it takes a bit to get into a groove and adjust.

Just try to be a bit more on top of your game next semester. Study a little earlier in the process. Tweak your study process to be more efficient (location? people? style?).

You got through. Congrats. :)

Reactions: 3 users

I actually think I might know who you are, but your first name escapes me (sorry)--were you in the research careers class this semester? If so, we talked once or twice! :)

I actually think I might know who you are, but your first name escapes me (sorry)--were you in the research careers class this semester? If so, we talked once or twice! :)
OMG yes I think I know who you are as well! :) That class was my first grade posted, and let's just say my GPA for the semester is looking good right now haha