RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called and the pet made it home okay, but that's all I'm going to do.
I had an 8w old boxer puppy that was only comfortable in oxygen go home ama early last week... no diagnostics, supposed to recheck in 3-5d but of course nothing. Don't even want to call. :c

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finally on vacation, have a trip all lined up. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow morning (now this morning) and I either have a stomach virus or food poisoning. Been vomiting and feeling cruddy for the past 4 hours.
Oh no :( You are really not having great luck with the healthy thing these last few weeks. Hope it was just food poisoning and clears up quickly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm finally on vacation, have a trip all lined up. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow morning (now this morning) and I either have a stomach virus or food poisoning. Been vomiting and feeling cruddy for the past 4 hours.
Liked so I can unlike :(

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing quite like realizing your total monetary value is going to be down in the double digits at your bank as soon as this months credit cards are paid... cue the terror and hope that next semester's loan disbursement comes ASAP!

Nothing quite like realizing your total monetary value is going to be down in the double digits at your bank as soon as this months credit cards are paid... cue the terror and hope that next semester's loan disbursement comes ASAP!

I so feel ya. The struggle

If the fire alarm could stop spontaneously going off in my apartment building and finals could just be over, that would be great.

if i ever get in my head to do a PhD, someone please come bash my brain in with a baseball bat, k? Stupid masters degree...finals...grumble.

Also, i think the high levels of cortisol and thus immunosuppression that have occurred secondary to life, exams, presentations, projects, and residency from this last week are finally getting to me :(

Last edited:
If the fire alarm could stop spontaneously going off in my apartment building and finals could just be over, that would be great.
God...this was a thing that happened one semester at the 2nd (and last) dorm I stayed in. At several intervals between ~4-5am. On two separate nights.

if i ever get in my head to do a PhD, someone please come bash my brain in with a baseball bat, k? Stupid masters degree...finals...grumble.

Also, i think the high levels of cortisol and thus immunosuppression that have occurred secondary to life, exams, presentations, projects, and residency from this last week are finally getting to me :(
I keep telling myself not to do a PhD, but I keep getting emails from schools asking me to do Biochemistry/ Biomedical Research PhD with them, and it seems like a good idea at the time that I know would kill me

At one point my plan was to do a PhD in ecology. Then I joined a lab and saw how much the grad students hated their lives.

So then I decided to do something more fun like vet school :p

Reactions: 2 users
I know myself and I could very easily accidentally get into a PhD program. Much like everything else in my life, I would probably fall ass backwards into it and enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
God...this was a thing that happened one semester at the 2nd (and last) dorm I stayed in. At several intervals between ~4-5am. On two separate nights.
Freshman year, over one hundred bomb threats from spring break to the end of the semester. Thankfully they didn't threaten the dorms very often but ours got one and we were evacuated at midnight I think and were kept out of the building for 3 hours. Fun times!

my biochemistry professor decided a good final project would be to write a scientific paper in a group. I've written all but one section of a 22 page paper and I've never been more frustrated in my life

Grr... this is supposed to be a silent zone for solo study. There is a whole other half of the library for you to go talk and study in groups. Don't do it here where people specifically go to have quiet. :rage:

I know myself and I could very easily accidentally get into a PhD program. Much like everything else in my life, I would probably fall ass backwards into it and enjoy it.

Phrasing

my biochemistry professor decided a good final project would be to write a scientific paper in a group. I've written all but one section of a 22 page paper and I've never been more frustrated in my life

Tell the professor you've been doing all the work

Grr... this is supposed to be a silent zone for solo study. There is a whole other half of the library for you to go talk and study in groups. Don't do it here where people specifically go to have quiet. :rage:
How else are they going to hear themselves

Well my GPA is **** this semester. The A- i was counting on turned into a B+, and i bomed my lab practical, giving me (god i hope) a C in my lab and a (please) B- in chem after a long semester of doing almost exclusively chemistry, among other disapointments.

That C in lab will be my first undergrad C, and if my calculations are wrong, and it isn't a C, then i have to retake lecture AND lab. my cumulative GPA will still be a 3.35, which isn't AWFUL but it was a 3.48 before this semester..... ugh.

Well my GPA is **** this semester. The A- i was counting on turned into a B+, and i bomed my lab practical, giving me (god i hope) a C in my lab and a (please) B- in chem after a long semester of doing almost exclusively chemistry, among other disapointments.

That C in lab will be my first undergrad C, and if my calculations are wrong, and it isn't a C, then i have to retake lecture AND lab. my cumulative GPA will still be a 3.35, which isn't AWFUL but it was a 3.48 before this semester..... ugh.
I had a smattering of Cs from undergrad. It won't destroy your chances. You'll be ok. :) Sucks because you worked super hard, but you'll bounce back from it!

I had a smattering of Cs from undergrad. It won't destroy your chances. You'll be ok. :) Sucks because you worked super hard, but you'll bounce back from it!

Thanks! I just transferred here, and everything was way harder that I thought it was going to be. Hopefully I'll be more prepared in the spring, and if I didnt get a C in lab, I think I can get them to let me just retake the lab....

Thanks! I just transferred here, and everything was way harder that I thought it was going to be. Hopefully I'll be more prepared in the spring, and if I didnt get a C in lab, I think I can get them to let me just retake the lab....
Transferring is a big adjustment! :) You kill it next semester!

Freshman year, over one hundred bomb threats from spring break to the end of the semester. Thankfully they didn't threaten the dorms very often but ours got one and we were evacuated at midnight I think and were kept out of the building for 3 hours. Fun times!
:wtf:
Closest thing I've experienced was in junior year, my first year living off-campus, there was a suspicious package found in the quad and they ended up canceling all remaining classes. I was at my work study job with a few other people and since I biked back then, they offered me a ride home. The evacuation traffic was horrible, and once we finally got out of it we had to pick up my bike--she had no bike rack, so I had to pull the bike into the back seat (as much as could fit) and literally hold the door shut for the bit that was still sticking out until I got dropped off. Woohoo! :laugh: There was a hurricane that fall too, it was just a weird semester all the way around

:wtf:
Closest thing I've experienced was in junior year, my first year living off-campus, there was a suspicious package found in the quad and they ended up canceling all remaining classes. I was at my work study job with a few other people and since I biked back then, they offered me a ride home. The evacuation traffic was horrible, and once we finally got out of it we had to pick up my bike--she had no bike rack, so I had to pull the bike into the back seat (as much as could fit) and literally hold the door shut for the bit that was still sticking out until I got dropped off. Woohoo! :laugh: There was a hurricane that fall too, it was just a weird semester all the way around
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_University_of_Pittsburgh_bomb_threats

Definitely one of the strangest situations I've ever been through

My professors were kind enough to hold reviews (most of which just ended up being question and answer sessions), but all they did was amp up my stress significantly
freakout.gif

My professors were kind enough to hold reviews (most of which just ended up being question and answer sessions), but all they did was amp up my stress significantly
freakout.gif
We have review sessions for almost every exam (my job to schedule them, woot). If the class lets the professor just go through and hit on major topics and things to know it's good. But the questions and answer type sessions usually devolve into the same question being asked in as many ways as possible, questions about things that don't matter, and unnecessary stressing. Which is why I tend to not show up at these sessions.

We have review sessions for almost every exam (my job to schedule them, woot). If the class lets the professor just go through and hit on major topics and things to know it's good. But the questions and answer type sessions usually devolve into the same question being asked in as many ways as possible, questions about things that don't matter, and unnecessary stressing. Which is why I tend to not show up at these sessions.
Yeah, they really are a waste of time. Our exam isn't until Thursday, the vast majority of the class is still trying to work through lectures and therefore very few questions were asked.

I'm just so stressed that my brain feels frozen right now. We usually have a better division of material for the two exam days, but we're covering 4 subjects on one test, and one subject plus cumulative integrative questions (10% of our final grade...) on the second day. Plus, we just had a huge lab exam/practical Friday, so we're waiting on those grades (many questions are going to be argued over, that much I can guarantee).

Update to pp9's week: I can now say that I know what it feels like to see a family member make the news for a bad reason :smack:

When your Dr says "it's probably nothing, but" at a routine visit, and the imaging place can't get you in for another two weeks.... you end up alone in your clinic at 10:30pm ultrasounding yourself. If I was a horse/cow/dog, I'd be normal, so I'm calling that a win. At least I'll stress a bit less. But seriously. My clients would freak if I told them there might be a concern but they have to wait two weeks for an ultrasound, and oh, go somewhere else to get your bloodwork done.

Reactions: 4 users
When your Dr says "it's probably nothing, but" at a routine visit, and the imaging place can't get you in for another two weeks.... you end up alone in your clinic at 10:30pm ultrasounding yourself. If I was a horse/cow/dog, I'd be normal, so I'm calling that a win. At least I'll stress a bit less. But seriously. My clients would freak if I told them there might be a concern but they have to wait two weeks for an ultrasound, and oh, go somewhere else to get your bloodwork done.
Back when I had my blood clot I had been having headaches for a week and would have had to wait another week or more for an MRI if I hadn't ended up going to the ER. It makes no sense to me.

Same, I generally skip Q&A type reviews because it just turns into the same few people asking questions about obscure details that don't matter, or basically trying to ask "is X topic going to be on the test?" :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users

Right? I had to wait a month before I had my echo after having left sided chest pain that Urgent Care sent me to the ER for. (also said I had a murmur and a RBBB). Only just getting to see the Cardiologist next week (granted, I waited to book it for a bit) but the NP told me it might take 6 months to get seen...

Same, I generally skip Q&A type reviews because it just turns into the same few people asking questions about obscure details that don't matter, or basically trying to ask "is X topic going to be on the test?" :rolleyes:
I'm glad (not actually glad, but I guess relieved) that it's like that everywhere.

:lame:

I need just one day in which I'm not congested, coughing, bleeding, vomiting, having abdominal pains or feeling completely exhausted. Heck, I'd even take just a few hours. Every time one thing goes away and gets better something else comes in and takes its place.

I need just one day in which I'm not congested, coughing, bleeding, vomiting, having abdominal pains or feeling completely exhausted. Heck, I'd even take just a few hours. Every time one thing goes away and gets better something else comes in and takes its place.
:(
I'm going to send your body a sternly worded letter if it doesn't stop being awful to you!

Was up until 4am cuz I couldn't sleep. Have a final this afternoon and can't drink coffee because it gives me migraines. Just need to make it through this day.

I'm so frustrated!!! I don't know how many of you have had bad shadowing experiences at vet clinics but I've had two and today, the second one set the bar. So I want to apply to vetmed next year and so I'm going around looking for experience, collecting hours. I got a few but nothing with equines. So I show up at the equine vet today, this woman is the rudest person I have ever met. She swears and yells abuse at her staff, she told me I have a bad attitude, that I'm "failing at all my tasks" that she doesn't want to see me again. And it wasn't just me. She did this to this other students who shadowed today as well. Her bad attitude made her work more difficult. I would constantly ask if I can help with anything or help her carry anything and eventuallyou she yelled at me that she will tell me when to help. I showed her proof of all my experience and she still treated me like I was unhygienic. I had so many ideas to help her in the surgery and with treating the animals but if I so much as spoke she had a negative comeback. Ugh I'm just so upset. This could've been such a fun experience. She taught me nothing. No matter what I asked she said she'd charge me for information. She never joked once. Honestly, the worst I had ever gotten before her was a vet telling me to rather do human medicine.

I'm so frustrated!!! I don't know how many of you have had bad shadowing experiences at vet clinics but I've had two and today, the second one set the bar. So I want to apply to vetmed next year and so I'm going around looking for experience, collecting hours. I got a few but nothing with equines. So I show up at the equine vet today, this woman is the rudest person I have ever met. She swears and yells abuse at her staff, she told me I have a bad attitude, that I'm "failing at all my tasks" that she doesn't want to see me again. And it wasn't just me. She did this to this other students who shadowed today as well. Her bad attitude made her work more difficult. I would constantly ask if I can help with anything or help her carry anything and eventuallyou she yelled at me that she will tell me when to help. I showed her proof of all my experience and she still treated me like I was unhygienic. I had so many ideas to help her in the surgery and with treating the animals but if I so much as spoke she had a negative comeback. Ugh I'm just so upset. This could've been such a fun experience. She taught me nothing. No matter what I asked she said she'd charge me for information. She never joked once. Honestly, the worst I had ever gotten before her was a vet telling me to rather do human medicine.

wow, I'm sorry that sounds awful! Don't let that one bad experience turn you off from equine vets because I've had nothing but good experiences with the equine vet that I worked for. I would just steer clear from her, don't use her as a reference and try to find a different vet to shadow. It clearly wasn't anything that you were doing if she was treating her entire staff that way. I have had some negative experiences with shadowing vets before and sometimes its hard to shake it off. Just know that there are lots of awesome doctors out there that you can shadow!

I totally get where you are coming from, and realize how disappointing this is. It's not easy being somewhere and having such a horrible time. The way you describe it, it sounds like she shouldn't have even accepted a shadow if she doesn't enjoy teaching people. I agree with KittenMittens that if she really treated her staff like that it wasn't necessarily anything you did, but remember, it is a courtesy that vets allow people to shadow at all. I think prevets sometime lose sight of that. Yes, a vet had to let us shadow or give us a job in the past too, and we understand wanting/needing that experience, but my first priority has to be my patients no matter how much I want to help you. When I've had shadows with me in the past, it makes quite a bit more work...way more than I realized when I was a prevet. It slows me down to explain things and I end up staying at work quite a bit later than I would have otherwise. But, I do it because I had some great mentors too and want to give back/pay it forward. However, if a pre-vet student tried to tell how to do my job and give me their 'ideas to help her in the surgery and with treating the animals' (especially someone with no experience in the type of veterinary medicine I do!) I wouldn't invite them back either. That might make me sound like a jerk, and I'm sorry if that is the case, but I'm just giving you my honest opinion. A shadow's role is to watch, get a feel for what the vet's job is, ask questions when it's appropriate, and be quiet/just watch when needed. Sorry this vet didn't work out...hopefully you will find a place that is a better fit with a veterinarian who is more willing to teach and work with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
DID YOU GET A KITTEN
Nah, my mom's kitten. They sort of met over Thanksgiving break but it was too short for me to bother with real integration, so I kept them separated the whole time and only did some scent swapping. Now since I'm here for 3 weeks I'm going into the whole process. The kitten is a little jerk, and my boy is a scaredy cat. Older girl doesn't give a ****, so at least there's that.

Nah, my mom's kitten. They sort of met over Thanksgiving break but it was too short for me to bother with real integration, so I kept them separated the whole time and only did some scent swapping. Now since I'm here for 3 weeks I'm going into the whole process. The kitten is a little jerk, and my boy is a scaredy cat. Older girl doesn't give a ****, so at least there's that.
Oh okay. Otherwise it felt like you were hiding a rave in the rant thread. ;)

Gandalf the scardy cat? :laugh:

Oh okay. Otherwise it felt like you were hiding a rave in the rant thread. ;)

Gandalf the scardy cat? :laugh:
That does seem like something I would do :D

He's the biggest baby about everything. Absolutely everything. It's hilarious because when someone knocks on the door he growls (this is the only time he EVER growls) and stands up all tall and "menacing". Then as soon as the door opens he runs away. He took one look at that kitten (through a gate) and noped right out of there. I tried to do a room swap earlier, and he flipped out when I tried to get him to go in her room, even though she was nowhere near it. Ran off and hid behind the couch for almost an hour. So more scent swapping for now.

Meanwhile Cindy waltzed in, peed in her litterbox, drank her water, and left :laugh: Introductions will probably be easier with her because she's dealt with a kitten before, although Gandalf was more friendly towards her than Dory has been.

Omg. we had a teacher yell at us because people kept asking "is this gonna be on the test?"or literally "can you go over this lecture?"

Call out because of a migraine. Literally the narcotics didn't touch it. Get a phone call this am (I'm on ER...): "hey so we got your call out, can you like take some meds and come in for a couple of hours?" Not sure you want me practicing vet med while I'm high on pain meds...

Call out because of a migraine. Literally the narcotics didn't touch it. Get a phone call this am (I'm on ER...): "hey so we got your call out, can you like take some meds and come in for a couple of hours?" Not sure you want me practicing vet med while I'm high on pain meds...
:uhno:

Introducing a kitten to two adult cats is exhausting :dead:

I've been introducing kitten to ancient kitty at my parents too. Lots of hissing, but it's actually going pretty well.

Reactions: 2 users
Have to retake my gen chem lab because I got a C- (which wasn't even listed as a possible grade on the syllabus... grrr.....). Which means i have to convince the chemistry department to let me take the lab seperate from the lecture (got a C+ in the lecture. Could have had a B- if I'd done this one puny extra credit thing. That's how close it was.) I really hate myself in case you were wondering.