RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Snide comments directed at you, or just directed at politics/the election?

If they are directing them at you that is completely inappropriate workplace etiquette.
Oh no of course not, just comments at previous president/policies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't mind political discussion so long as it's civil and restrained and everyone respects one another, but some of the things I've seen on social media are downright nasty. I may have to take a break from Facebook because some of the comments/posts being made by friends and family are making me view them in a totally new, negative light. :(

Reactions: 2 users
I have a wedding present that I have been making for people for a few years. I take their wedding invite and carefully slice it into strips, then lightly curl the strips and place them into a clear glass Christmas ball. You can add other things if appropriate. It's also a great gift for a baby shower or Christmas after a baby is born. The registry is just suggestions. Here is an example of a similar ornament.
4bddfaf52e28c5db5b3cd10026c2d906.jpg

Oh! Another great wedding gift are these nesting bowls! I don't know anyone who doesn't love them. I use them ALL the time.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...-87Xz9qh6z_IQ6WDgqzLY78HeFmuVBT7C4aAqAs8P8HAQ

Another idea I've used (if the invitation is the right size) is to decoupage it on to an ornament!

Members don't see this ad :)
The interns whole life also isn't the clinic, they also deserve to enjoy time away but often can't due to the hours they work. Yes it is annoying to hear people complain, perhaps some more sympathy is needed here instead of annoyance though. You just wait until you've worked 80+ hours per week with no sleep maybe then you'll get it. I hope you do an internship and have some tech "talk to you" as you are describing you will do above, you wouldn't tolerate it and neither should they.

I have been at the clinic 80+ hours on several occasions. The techs they're complaining about aren't me, but saying no one else can complain because they aren't at the clinic as many hours as an intern is ridiculous.

My grumping and ranting has more to do with being tired from being at the clinic 60+ hours already this week and posting that rant after a long shift. But clearly I can't be tired because I haven't been at the clinic as many hours as an intern.

I'm trying to switch shift times and it's causing some fantastic insomnia. Luckily the intern in question would probably laugh at me and praise me for finally getting angry at someone because I'm normally such a pushover. Which is why I will never actually say anything to anybody.

Last edited:
I work 40 hours a week, and sometimes probably less. I did no residency and I don't get paid amazingly well, but I definitely don't do overtime or anything. So, vet med can accommodate for that - but with some sacrifices in other areas.

I feel like being a tech isn't a straightforward 40 hour a week job and that's something people need to realize before accepting a job. I understand family needs and having commitments 100% but when we are serving patients you can't just all of a sudden quit and leave because your shift is over. As a doctor I'll take every step possible to get you done on time and minimize your overtime, but if I need help to stay late and monitor/restrain/treat patients, someone's got to stay and help. In larger hospitals with more staff it might be more possible to just go and have someone take over but you can't abandon a patient. If you only want 40 hours no more no less get a desk job and not one that requires patient care and varies day to day. If you need that firm 40 hour workweek, vet med may not be the right choice for you (generic you not specified towards a single person) at this point in your life.

There are desk jobs in vet med too :)

(But overall yes, I agree!)

I work 40 hours a week, and sometimes probably less. I did no residency and I don't get paid amazingly well, but I definitely don't do overtime or anything. So, vet med can accommodate for that - but with some sacrifices in other areas.

I'd love to work only 40 hours per week...I'm averaging 55-60 currently, but based on what you've stated of your salary, I'd have to take a 50% pay cut.... I wouldn't survive, so I'll work my additional 15 hours per week

I feel like being a tech isn't a straightforward 40 hour a week job and that's something people need to realize before accepting a job. I understand family needs and having commitments 100% but when we are serving patients you can't just all of a sudden quit and leave because your shift is over. As a doctor I'll take every step possible to get you done on time and minimize your overtime, but if I need help to stay late and monitor/restrain/treat patients, someone's got to stay and help. In larger hospitals with more staff it might be more possible to just go and have someone take over but you can't abandon a patient. If you only want 40 hours no more no less get a desk job and not one that requires patient care and varies day to day. If you need that firm 40 hour workweek, vet med may not be the right choice for you (generic you not specified towards a single person) at this point in your life.

I think that's not black/white and there are reasonable limits.... asking/expecting a tech to stay late once in a rare while because something 'happened' and you're dealing with a patient is perfectly reasonable. It's medicine, **** happens, and we can't always foresee how the day will go.

But if you're routinely expecting techs to stay past scheduled hours because some doctor is happily taking on cases very late in the day and not getting done on time, that's a legitimate gripe by that doc's support staff. That doctor should either be scheduling a tech later and paying them, or should be declining to see those cases.

So in general, I feel like techs should not be expected to work more than their scheduled hours. That's WHY they are scheduled - so they know how to plan their life. We make a big deal out of trying to change this industry to better our quality of life, and part of our gripe is our stupid working hours. The least we can do is be fair to our techs and not expect them to regularly work later than what we told them (i.e. what they are scheduled).

Reactions: 12 users
Along those lines, my personal favorite was being kept late by the doctor(s) who want to keep going and then getting scolded by management for having too much overtime as if we were the ones with the power to decide.

Reactions: 1 users
But if you're routinely expecting techs to stay past scheduled hours because some doctor is happily taking on cases very late in the day and not getting done on time, that's a legitimate gripe by that doc's support staff. That doctor should either be scheduling a tech later and paying them, or should be declining to see those cases.

So in general, I feel like techs should not be expected to work more than their scheduled hours. That's WHY they are scheduled - so they know how to plan their life. We make a big deal out of trying to change this industry to better our quality of life, and part of our gripe is our stupid working hours. The least we can do is be fair to our techs and not expect them to regularly work later than what we told them (i.e. what they are scheduled).

This is a huge part of why I quit my clinic job. It cut my monthly pay significantly, since I wasn't getting more hours at my other job to replace the clinic, but it was worth it. We were always expected to stay 1-3 hours after our shifts on boss lady days. Being able to leave on time was like Christmas, and happened just about that often. I didn't realize how much unnecessary stress I was feeling from the job until I quit. The money wasn't worth it.

I'd love to work only 40 hours per week...I'm averaging 55-60 currently, but based on what you've stated of your salary, I'd have to take a 50% pay cut.... I wouldn't survive, so I'll work my additional 15 hours per week

I'd work more hours for $120k a year. I'd at least think about it, anyway. Not too achievable here though, I don't think.

Thought I was finally over this stupid cold but nope, my lungs just feel like they're full of that colorful gravel you put in fish tanks now.

Also,
I semi-recently started new BC (it's the generic version of the stuff I had been on) and have been getting breakthrough bleeding on week 3 of the pills like clockwork. Called the office to ask to get switched to something stronger because I never get breakthrough bleeding unless the BC isn't strong enough and they want me to wait 3-6 months so they can be sure the BC actually isn't strong enough and it's not just my body adjusting. Look, I know they probably get complaints like this all of the time but I also know my body and asking me to bleed for two weeks out of every four for three to six months is ****ing absurd and I am so mad about it. Especially because this happened with the first BC I was ever prescribed and my gynecologist switched me off of it to something else right away, so we not only know this is an issue for me but that I've been switched quickly before and immediately had no more problems once the BC was strong enough. I never even get breakthrough bleeding when I'm off BC anyway because I have a ridiculously regular cycle and this is just so frustrating. Gah.

Thought I was finally over this stupid cold but nope, my lungs just feel like they're full of that colorful gravel you put in fish tanks now.

Also,
I semi-recently started new BC (it's the generic version of the stuff I had been on) and have been getting breakthrough bleeding on week 3 of the pills like clockwork. Called the office to ask to get switched to something stronger because I never get breakthrough bleeding unless the BC isn't strong enough and they want me to wait 3-6 months so they can be sure the BC actually isn't strong enough and it's not just my body adjusting. Look, I know they probably get complaints like this all of the time but I also know my body and asking me to bleed for two weeks out of every four for three to six months is ****ing absurd and I am so mad about it. Especially because this happened with the first BC I was ever prescribed and my gynecologist switched me off of it to something else right away, so we not only know this is an issue for me but that I've been switched quickly before and immediately had no more problems once the BC was strong enough. I never even get breakthrough bleeding when I'm off BC anyway because I have a ridiculously regular cycle and this is just so frustrating. Gah.

I feel you, I had the same problem with an IUD and had it EVERY freaking day for 6+ months. It finally stopped but that timeline was absurd!

Members don't see this ad :)

Also,

BC sucks. I had random on/off (mostly on) bleeding for months and months and it was sooo frustrating. It also made me mildly anemic and caused other unpleasantness. Eventually I got a Mirena IUD so now I don't get a period at all, and it's amazing. I don't mean to randomly IUD-evangelize, but I seriously love this thing and if you or anyone else have any questions, let me know. I wish I'd made the switch years earlier.

BC sucks. I had random on/off (mostly on) bleeding for months and months and it was sooo frustrating. It also made me mildly anemic and caused other unpleasantness. Eventually I got a Mirena IUD so now I don't get a period at all, and it's amazing. I don't mean to randomly IUD-evangelize, but I seriously love this thing and if you or anyone else have any questions, let me know. I wish I'd made the switch years earlier.
My period is ludicrously heavy and painful (to the point where I was anemic and would sometimes vomit/pass out when I got it), which is why I'm on the BC. IUDs scare the crap out of me though and I'm a huge baby so I don't think I could ever get one.

That sounds absolutely awful, VMH. I am so sorry. My sister has a similar issue. :( Just makes me really thankful that my period is super light and only generally lasts 2-3 days.
Yeah, I used to be able to soak an overnight pad in <1 hour when things were at their worst. My mom was the same way when she was younger, and I 100% take after all of her health problems, so I'm not surprised. It's way better now though, which is awesome!

My mom also has diagnosed endometriosis and my gyno suspects I have it as well. Hence the BC lol

My period is ludicrously heavy and painful (to the point where I was anemic and would sometimes vomit/pass out when I got it), which is why I'm on the BC. IUDs scare the crap out of me though and I'm a huge baby so I don't think I could ever get one.

That's actually why I got mine, I tried a bunch of different ones first, but this cured it, albeit eventually but now I don't have one at all.

Ugh, that's terrible.

According to my doctor, I had a very difficult insertion and I'd still say it was equal to about 10 minutes of kind of bad cramping followed by a day of very mild cramping. Compared to what you go through every month, it would probably be nothing for you. The worst part was how nervous I was, so I'm sure my next one will be easier. I did it without any sedation or painkillers (besides some ibuprofen before and after), but those are options with some doctors. Soooo worth it (for me) for 5-7 years of no periods, no cramps, and no babies.

I was really freaked out by the idea of it, but I'm really glad I got it. It's certainly a personal decision and some people do have bad experiences, but afterwards all I thought was "Really?! That's what I was so afraid of?" and I wished I'd gotten it sooner.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you soon! Pre-IUD I had a good experience going to Planned Parenthood for BC so that or another doctor for a second opinion is always an option, too.

Ugh, that's terrible.

According to my doctor, I had a very difficult insertion and I'd still say it was equal to about 10 minutes of kind of bad cramping followed by a day of very mild cramping. Compared to what you go through every month, it would probably be nothing for you. The worst part was how nervous I was, so I'm sure my next one will be easier. I did it without any sedation or painkillers (besides some ibuprofen before and after), but those are options with some doctors. Soooo worth it (for me) for 5-7 years of no periods, no cramps, and no babies.

I was really freaked out by the idea of it, but I'm really glad I got it. It's certainly a personal decision and some people do have bad experiences, but afterwards all I thought was "Really?! That's what I was so afraid of?" and I wished I'd gotten it sooner.

Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you soon! Pre-IUD I had a good experience going to Planned Parenthood for BC so that or another doctor for a second opinion is always an option, too.
Yeah, and I think on some level it wouldn't be a bad option to look at IUDs. At the same time I also find pelvic exams to be excruciatingly painful, so I think an IUD honestly might kill me lol

I did Depo for two years and just switched to an IUD. I was the type of girl that everyone hated (little to no cramps, no acne, mild consistent flow). When I got my IUD put in I wasn't sure if cramps always felt that bad or if I was being a baby about it

Yeah, and I think on some level it wouldn't be a bad option to look at IUDs. At the same time I also find pelvic exams to be excruciatingly painful, so I think an IUD honestly might kill me lol
were you in chat when we were discussing my implanon? I'm on my second and do like it, no horrible insertion needed.

I had horrible, horrible periods when I was in high school. So bad, my parents were concerned I had cancer or something. Nope, just genetics. I was put on birth control and I've never looked back. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a doctor who will perform endometrial ablation + tubal ligation, because I have zero desire to reproduce and just getting a tubal ligation will mean I still need to be on birth control.

This is me. Pain meds (even when doubling up-by Doctors orders-with Tylenol and ibuprofen) did nothing to help my cramps, and passing from pain or anemia was common. I pretty much always had to stay home the first few days.

Getting my IUD placed was bad, but honestly my cramps where worse than that pain. If your doctor is nice they'll also give you meds to dialate your cervix before hand (mine didn't), and that's suppose to make it go even smoother.

I only get spotting now, and while I still get cramps, some ibuprofen is enough to totally take them away.

Would so recommend talking to your doctor about it. If BC is working well for you, that'd probably be easier to stick with, but I know with me it didn't help much with cramps and just made my period more predictable but didn't touch how heavy it was.

I also had side effects from the hormones, so Mirena was great since the hormone levels are so low in comparison it shouldn't give side effects like that.

Seriously love my IUD. If you couldn't tell by this ridiculously long post :laugh:

were you in chat when we were discussing my implanon? I'm on my second and do like it, no horrible insertion needed.

My friend is on her second and likes it a lot. I'm thinking hard about it...

I had horrible, horrible periods when I was in high school. So bad, my parents were concerned I had cancer or something. Nope, just genetics. I was put on birth control and I've never looked back. I'm currently in the process of trying to find a doctor who will perform endometrial ablation + tubal ligation, because I have zero desire to reproduce and just getting a tubal ligation will mean I still need to be on birth control.
There's a list of friendly doctors on the childfree subreddit on reddit, have you seen that by chance?

I don't think I was!
This is me. Pain meds (even when doubling up-by Doctors orders-with Tylenol and ibuprofen) did nothing to help my cramps, and passing from pain or anemia was common. I pretty much always had to stay home the first few days.

Getting my IUD placed was bad, but honestly my cramps where worse than that pain. If your doctor is nice they'll also give you meds to dialate your cervix before hand (mine didn't), and that's suppose to make it go even smoother.

I only get spotting now, and while I still get cramps, some ibuprofen is enough to totally take them away.

Would so recommend talking to your doctor about it. If BC is working well for you, that'd probably be easier to stick with, but I know with me it didn't help much with cramps and just made my period more predictable but didn't touch how heavy it was.

I also had side effects from the hormones, so Mirena was great since the hormone levels are so low in comparison it shouldn't give side effects like that.

Seriously love my IUD. If you couldn't tell by this ridiculously long post :laugh:
See, I never had any issues with regularity (sister did, but she has PCOS so of course her periods weren't regular). The BC was perfect for me, it really fixed pretty much all of the issues I was having period-wise, which is part of why I am hesitant to switch to something that may not work as well for me personally.

I don't think I was!

See, I never had any issues with regularity (sister did, but she has PCOS so of course her periods weren't regular). The BC was perfect for me, it really fixed pretty much all of the issues I was having period-wise, which is part of why I am hesitant to switch to something that may not work as well for me personally.

Absolutely, if it fixed your problems stick with it! Standard BC did not fix heavy with cramping so I had a long talk about options, and I landed with an IUD. Everyone's different, you gotta take what works for you!

I get that! It's a lot easier to just try a new BC pill than get an IUD removed if it ends up not being for you. If you're not happy with your current BC definitely talk to your doctor or try to go to an OBGYN (if you haven't already). Was way better to discuss BC with than my PCP.

If your doctor is nice they'll also give you meds to dialate your cervix before hand (mine didn't), and that's suppose to make it go even smoother.

It's actually a myth that that works! Doctors used to use it (and some still do) because they assumed it would make insertion easier, but the medication (misoprostol) has actually been shown to 1) not make the insertion any easier and 2) cause more pain and nausea. Here's one link but there are other studies out there too.

Other than that, I 100% agree with everything you wrote, especially this:

I love my IUD so much that I want to get my tubes tied eventually, but still have an IUD. Mirena is actually better at preventing pregnancy than surgery, plus no period (amazing!). I'm not due for another IUD for several years, but I might try to get one early in case Obamacare disappears. I would be really sad without one or if I had to pay ~$800 instead of getting one for free.

It's actually a myth that that works! Doctors used to use it (and some still do) because they assumed it would make insertion easier, but the medication (misoprostol) has actually been shown to 1) not make the insertion any easier and 2) cause more pain and nausea. Here's one link but there are other studies out there too.

Other than that, I 100% agree with everything you wrote, especially this:

I love my IUD so much that I want to get my tubes tied eventually, but still have an IUD. Mirena is actually better at preventing pregnancy than surgery, plus no period (amazing!). I'm not due for another IUD for several years, but I might try to get one early in case Obamacare disappears. I would be really sad without one or if I had to pay ~$800 instead of getting one for free.
Ha, that makes me feel better. I asked about it when I got mine and was told by my doctor that she didn't like to use them, but wasn't sure if that was because she inserted them during your period or she just didn't like giving out extra drugs :laugh:

Oh god, mine was free with insurance and I'm so worried it won't be when I need a new one in two years. I'm also considering replacing it now just in case. Having to cough up the $600 I think it was will be worth it but hard as a student.

My boss got the cervical dilator med for her IUD and had an awful experience. Super bad cramps, nausea, and she mentally checked out for a day.

I hear though that some places will drop lido on your cervix to help

Does it bug you? The only thing I worry about is it like annoying me lol

Also curious about this. I mainly decided against it for other reasons, but was also concerned about not being able to leave it alone. I can not leave scabs or bug bites alone, so it kind of seemed like a recipe for disaster for me.

I also have a small secondary issue, which is that my insurance provider is part of a Catholic system, so certain kinds of BC scare the bejeezus out of them lol. They actually wouldn't have covered my BC at all if it was for birth control only, but do since it's for treatment of bad periods. My OB/GYN actually asked me about it when I first came in because she said if I didn't have a health condition and just wanted BC she would work with me to find a way I could get BC for free because she's a big believer in having access to contraceptives for actual contraceptive purposes if that's what you need. Cool lady.

Last edited:
Also curious about this. I mainly decided against it for other reasons, but was also concerned about not being able to leave it alone. I can not leave scabs or bug bites alone, so it kind of seemed like a recipe for disaster for me.
Yeah, as an obsessive skin picker this sounds like a bad time for me

Oh no it's really flexible plastic. I don't notice it day to day unless I am purposefully messing with it.

That's the impression I have gotten, but always good to get further confirmation lol

Oh I do too. I mean it's completely under the skin, no lump or anything. And messing with it doesn't hurt or anything, people just sometimes wonder why i'm fondling my arm. :laugh:

Mine aren't heavy enough for anemia (though heavier than they used to be due to blood thinner, which sucks) but I feel you on the painful. Basically feel like I'm dying every time.

Which is why I was on BC, but that led to the blood clot that landed me on blood thinner for the rest of my life so...

I can get an IUD, but I'm similarly a baby about it. I already had bad luck with BC once so I've been hesitant to try again.

There's a list of friendly doctors on the childfree subreddit on reddit, have you seen that by chance?

Yassss, I have seen it! My insurance will only cover a tubal and the doctor that was near enough where I was over my break was not in the office, so I didn't get the chance to speak with her. I'll probably have to wait until after graduation when I (hopefully) have better insurance. I've also been looking into Essure, but that wouldn't get rid of the damned periods. Maybe I can do the tubal or Essure and then get an implant. My secret dream is that the 10+ years I've been on birth control will have taken away my fertility, so I don't have to have any procedures other than something to stop the bleeding.

I'm also considering something like Mirena, but someone I personally know had a horrible experience and it migrated into her abdomen and omg, that sounds so terrifying.

Oh I do too. I mean it's completely under the skin, no lump or anything. And messing with it doesn't hurt or anything, people just sometimes wonder why i'm fondling my arm. :laugh:
I didn't catch that it was in the arm, and I thought you were just fiddling and fiddling with your cervix. :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
I'm also considering something like Mirena, but someone I personally know had a horrible experience and it migrated into her abdomen and omg, that sounds so terrifying.
I've had two friends who had horrible experiences with Mirena and had to get them taken out. My OBGYN really wanted me to get one due to my endometriosis, and the fact that I've had severe reactions to almost all different BC pills but I didn't feel comfortable getting one. Luckily have found one BC that mostly works with minimal side effects.

Mine aren't heavy enough for anemia (though heavier than they used to be due to blood thinner, which sucks) but I feel you on the painful. Basically feel like I'm dying every time.

Which is why I was on BC, but that led to the blood clot that landed me on blood thinner for the rest of my life so...

I can get an IUD, but I'm similarly a baby about it. I already had bad luck with BC once so I've been hesitant to try again.

You could consider Nuvaring too. I'm wary of IUDs since I've had friends that had issues with them (although with the political climate now, I'm starting to consider it). The ring is great since it's monthly, and I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, and I don't even notice that it's there. My periods weren't awful to start with, but are still milder and lighter now. I used to reliably get cramps the first couple days in (not debilitating, but not pleasant), but not anymore.

Getting my Mirena put in was an awful experience - I passed out, and was on the couch for the next few days. Basically had a period for like 3 weeks straight after. But since then - nothing! Now it's amazing. Haven't had a period cramps or anything for almost 2 years.

You could consider Nuvaring too. I'm wary of IUDs since I've had friends that had issues with them (although with the political climate now, I'm starting to consider it). The ring is great since it's monthly, and I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, and I don't even notice that it's there. My periods weren't awful to start with, but are still milder and lighter now. I used to reliably get cramps the first couple days in (not debilitating, but not pleasant), but not anymore.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of reports of blood clots (and quite a few associated deaths) with NuvaRing. Especially for someone who's already had one, I'd really recommend doing some more research into the risks. All BC comes with some risks, but there have been a number of issues and settled lawsuits with NuvaRing in particular.

Just to chime in here that I absolutely love my IUD. I actually have Paragard (the copper one) so it didn't actually change my periods at all (other than maybe a bit heavier the first couple periods, but it was like 6+ years ago so can't really remember). All I know is that it lasts for 10 years and removed a daily responsibility that had potentially life-altering repercussions. So great. Yeah it hurt going in and probably will coming out but for years of no-hassle BC? Do it again in a heartbeat.