RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A woman I went to high school with just posted a video of a dog escaping his crate along with a huge rant about people keeping their dogs in "cages" and it's abuse, blah blah blah. I'm a firm believer in crate training and my dogs absolutely love their crate. Our behaviorist at school praised me for that too, so I responded explaining crates aren't bad and can be very good for many dogs but also shouldn't be used as punishment or in situations where it puts the dog at risk (like the escapee dog). Now I'm dreading her responding telling me I'm torturing my dogs or I don't know what I'm talking about. Ugh. I probably should have just ignored her post.

My guy is in his crate right now by choice, nomming on a chew toy. Not only is it a positive place for him (fed there, etc) but it's also so nice not to worry what the heck he will get into/destroy/consume while we're gone.

I agree that sometimes, most likely due to poor initial training, dogs do not want to be in their crates and can hurt themselves trying to break out. And there are some people who use their crates inappropriately, like kenneling their dogs 23 hours a day. But a properly used crate is a wonderful thing :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The winter won't be that bad I tell myself. Go to New York instead of California. You remember shoveling, it's a good workout for you. An hour in and my car is only half dug out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So LOtF is having a hell of a week. If we got her to start a GoFundMe, would y'all be willing to donate small amounts? I can provide more details if she is okay with it, but basically some asbestos was found in her house, she had to get out suddenly, and now she has to toss everything 'permeable' in her house (basically everything) and is now dealing with a stubborn landlord and may need to move out ASAP. So. It's a big mess.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some people's opinions on dog training are akin to their opinions on politics and religion, you just can't talk sense at them. I've learned that since being active with training my pup, people will give you all sorts of unsolicited advice and so much of it is questionable. No, I'm not going to kick my dog or knee him in the chest for jumping on me, literally that will just make him more hyped up. But thanks for the advice, random guy with an out of control Labrador who doesn't listen to him!
My parents follow some frustrating advice. They recently got a training collar to use on their dog. Couple that with not enough exercise or attention and his behavior has become even worse, not better. He's a sweet dog, but he just has too much energy for his owners. A training collar isn't going to correct that. :(

So LOtF is having a hell of a week. If we got her to start a GoFundMe, would y'all be willing to donate small amounts? I can provide more details if she is okay with it, but basically some asbestos was found in her house, she had to get out suddenly, and now she has to toss everything 'permeable' in her house (basically everything) and is now dealing with a stubborn landlord and may need to move out ASAP. So. It's a big mess.
I will donate what I can.

Would definitely donate

Yes.

Thank you all guys! I have no idea how to set one up, but I will go look.

I am trying to figure out all the legal stuff right now and sort out where my family can sleep tonight. We have run out of funds for the hotel, and have some money coming, but we aren't sure it will get here by tonight. We also have friends in town, but there are complications.

I found someone who can take our goats and cow and probably rabbits...

But all of this depends on what the tests come back showing. It is kinda suck both ways. If completely negative, then we were magically never actually exposed and it just looked like the Libbey vermiculite and all our stuff was thrown out for no reason. Too positive and we can't go back and all the solid stuff we own is trash. Just a little positive and they will call it clean, but it still won't be safe for our daughter with respiratory problems or the 9 month pregnant lady or really anybody.

Anyway, I will see what I can do. And let y'all know what happens.

If you get it figured out (I don't think it's too complicated, especially if you don't need to plead your case on there, just to share it here) then just let me know and I'll do the rest.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, anonymity out the window but here you go:

gofundme.com/lotf-asbestos-help

If you get it figured out (I don't think it's too complicated, especially if you don't need to plead your case on there, just to share it here) then just let me know and I'll do the rest.
I made it work I think. If there is a smarter way, I will happily edit it. Just let me know. And again, all of you thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently being a corporate rep gives people permission to treat you like crap. Maybe it's because my company is so small.

Whatever, it's not worth explaining that I'm not supposed to lift/hand deliver her product like she's asking.

So sorry you've had to deal with all of this. That's so ridiculously crappy. Thinking of you all. So glad you did the GoFundMe...we all definitely want to help how we can!

I'm so sorry LoTF. Will be donating tomorrow.

Apparently a veterinarian, that a lot of my friends/colleagues know, committed suicide a few days ago. I don't know who it was, and am kind of thinking it was a WesternU alum just based on Facebook gossip :( So sad that so many people are affected by this and so sad for him/her.

LOtF, I'm sorry to learn about your situation. I will contribute to this fund.

Guys, seriously, thank you all! Even just the well wishes!

We have not heard anything from the LL, but did run into the guy who is removing the asbestos. He says the tests came back low, and even the original vermiculite material tested very low asbestos content. But then he said it was Zonalite, which is the stuff from the Libbey mine and has a really bad history even though it routinely tests low in asbestos content. (Especially friable or something?)

So if the tests say there was asbestos, but there is a very, very low level in the house, do we risk moving back in even for just 2 months? Our oldest has respiratory problems already so her risk is so much higher than a normal person's already. Yet moving out with nowhere to go is not easy. We would need to move the animals and probably couldn't find a place that would allow our cats and dog on short notice... but our current LL has decided our animals aren't allowed back in the house anyway (something about exposing the house through their fur that the lawyer fed him). We had a cat lost overnight, likely to a coyote or owl, when he decided to stay out all night. I couldn't make myself do that to our other 2. And the dog... there is an outdoor run, but it is a ways away from the house and he would bark endlessly, and he loves his kennel and I just don't believe in strictly outdoor dogs. (Unless they are raised as livestock guardians or something like that.)

I don't really know what to do. We have just a day or 2 to figure it out.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry I couldn't do more @LadyOtheFarm, but I'm so hoping things turn around soon! I hate that you're dealing with this all!!!

Seriously guys, I couldn't be more in awe of what amazing people we have here. You guys are incredible and have done so much for me just by being my friends and entertainment! This went over the top! I hope I get the chance to repay the happy tears you guys have given me today!

Thank you so much!

Reactions: 13 users
I don't have a rant at the moment, but this thread is at 666 pages. :scared:

Reactions: 9 users
So many hugs for you, LOTF! I really wish that I could give more or do more to help out, but I'm rooting for you! :biglove:

For a small rant of my own... since I'm home for spring break and needed to see my physician to get my levothyroxine prescription renewed, I went ahead and made an appointment for today. While the nurse is taking vitals, etc., I notice that I've actually gained weight since last year... despite working out and running/walking much more and eating better in general. I've also quit soda for the most part. I've broken 200 lbs now; I've never weighed that much. I wouldn't be freaking out over it so much if I wasn't on the short side. :(

I know that it could just be the thyroid complicating things but I am so disappointed and frustrated that the lifestyle changes aren't working. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the bloodwork says...
Muscle weighs more than fat. If you have been working out, maybe that has something to do with the number?

Reactions: 3 users
I want to rant about my week but I can't even put it into words. I'm now starting to see why people say to take a break from vet med when you can, or at least take a break from vet school.

Aw I'm sorry Sandy :( I'm sure some of it is the thyroid issue and some is probably vet school stress too.
Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if vet school stress did play somewhat of a role (really not looking forward to starting class again on Monday, ugh).

But the physician's office called this morning and it looks like it's still the thyroid mainly... I'm glad I got in when I did because apparently my TSH is high enough even on my previous prescription of levothyroxine that it's pretty clear I was being undertreated. They upped my dosage so I'm hoping that that will help out with dropping the weight a bit.

I'm just really worried because thyroid issues, including cancer, run on my dad's side and the fact that I am already having issues with this at 24 has me scared for my thyroid health in the future.

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you have been working out, maybe that has something to do with the number?
Maybe. That's what I'm hoping, anyway, but the fact that apparently I wasn't being treated aggressively enough tells me otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users
Minor rant: I hate when websites change their layouts. Recently my bank has changed their online portal and I hate it. It's not as intuitive to find things or to move money between my accounts. LinkedIn also updated their stuff recently and I don't like the way my profile is laid out. I added in vet school stuff today and, I'm really hoping this is just a glitch, it's not putting things in chronological order. The icons for my schools and workplaces are also mostly missing now. That irritates the perfectionist in me.

Probably can't finish the semester, but will know more after further testing on Monday, when I should be back in class but instead am 500 miles away with a gaping hole in my body. Thanks again, life.

Probably can't finish the semester, but will know more after further testing on Monday, when I should be back in class but instead am 500 miles away with a gaping hole in my body. Thanks again, life.
I hope you're well again soon. :(

Minor rant: I hate when websites change their layouts. Recently my bank has changed their online portal and I hate it. It's not as intuitive to find things or to move money between my accounts. LinkedIn also updated their stuff recently and I don't like the way my profile is laid out. I added in vet school stuff today and, I'm really hoping this is just a glitch, it's not putting things in chronological order. The icons for my schools and workplaces are also mostly missing now. That irritates the perfectionist in me.

What's your thoughts on the new carmen and buckeyelink? Haha

W2VM - setbacks are just that. You can overcome them as you have other setbacks in your life. I think you need to focus on getting better right now

Reactions: 4 users
What's your thoughts on the new carmen and buckeyelink? Haha

I'll probably have to wait on Carmen until school starts.

Buckeyelink is okay. The navigation buttons on the main page are a bit too numerous but I at least see that they're trying to streamline things. I haven't thoroughly examined everything yet, but I do like that a lot of the tedious physical paperwork I had to fill out in grad school is now paperless. A future where I don't have to hunt down professors for signatures or miss work to visit campus to turn papers into an office is certainly a brighter future.

I hate the position I'm in right now. I'm trying my best to work with someone I previously considered a friend, but I'm at the end of my patience here. I'm being belittled and treated like crap at this point. She's told me before she gets really self conscious and competitive around me/some other peers because we have more experience. Instead of taking advantage of that and learning from us or just dealing with it, she just bashes others and bashes me to my face.

If I ask to be reassigned, it will most likely make me look bad. I've got 7 more weeks, but I can't believe I have to talk to her about this yet again. Last time, she told me to tell her when she's treating people like crap "because she doesn't always realize it." So I have to babysit in addition to being treated like dirt? She knows that people have come to me with complaints before, as she's gotten really snippy with our undergrads and everything. You'd think this person would care about that and try to work on having a better attitude. The worst part is that she definitely was a friend before this, and I was so excited to work with her this year. Live and learn, I suppose. I knew she had issues with being wrong or needing peer assistance in anatomy, but I guess I just figured it was the stress of lab causing her to snap at people all the time.

Anyways...just venting, although suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
W2VM - setbacks are just that. You can overcome them as you have other setbacks in your life. I think you need to focus on getting better right now

I always do :), I'm just irritated. Being stuck in a bed does that to me.

Last edited:
I'm a vet assistant at an emergency hospital and I got bit for the first time today. But that wasn't even the worse part. Some of the people I work with are very breed specific, which is fine to a point because I, too, have my favourite breeds of dog. However, when a tech asked me who bit me and I told her it was a German Shepherd mix she said something along the lines of, "Oh, that explains it." In the most cynical and dismissive voice, as if German Shepherds are known for biting people. :yeahright: Yet when I'm hesitant to approach a pit bull/boxer mix because it just tried to eat my doctor I get told not to be so afraid of pitties. Hypocrites.

Also, I <3 GSD.

I hate the position I'm in right now. I'm trying my best to work with someone I previously considered a friend, but I'm at the end of my patience here. I'm being belittled and treated like crap at this point. She's told me before she gets really self conscious and competitive around me/some other peers because we have more experience. Instead of taking advantage of that and learning from us or just dealing with it, she just bashes others and bashes me to my face.

If I ask to be reassigned, it will most likely make me look bad. I've got 7 more weeks, but I can't believe I have to talk to her about this yet again. Last time, she told me to tell her when she's treating people like crap "because she doesn't always realize it." So I have to babysit in addition to being treated like dirt? She knows that people have come to me with complaints before, as she's gotten really snippy with our undergrads and everything. You'd think this person would care about that and try to work on having a better attitude. The worst part is that she definitely was a friend before this, and I was so excited to work with her this year. Live and learn, I suppose. I knew she had issues with being wrong or needing peer assistance in anatomy, but I guess I just figured it was the stress of lab causing her to snap at people all the time.

Anyways...just venting, although suggestions are welcome.
@pinkpuppy9 sorry you're having to deal with this extra stress. It doesn't sound as if the other person cares very much about changing her own attitude right now - so kindly don't allow her negative attitude to adversely affect you. You're just trying to be a good friend; and not a punching bag. Hmmm ... maybe the other person could meet with a counselor at your school?

I'm a vet assistant at an emergency hospital and I got bit for the first time today. But that wasn't even the worse part. Some of the people I work with are very breed specific, which is fine to a point because I, too, have my favourite breeds of dog. However, when a tech asked me who bit me and I told her it was a German Shepherd mix she said something along the lines of, "Oh, that explains it." In the most cynical and dismissive voice, as if German Shepherds are known for biting people. :yeahright: Yet when I'm hesitant to approach a pit bull/boxer mix because it just tried to eat my doctor I get told not to be so afraid of pitties. Hypocrites.

Also, I <3 GSD.
@Shya love the beautiful photo of the German Shephard!

Sorry you were bitten today - that's no fun.

Can't say I've ever had problems with German Shepherds. My neighbor's big German Shephard is an adorable love-bug. One time, I was nipped by a mixed-breed little dog, and the owner told me that his dog bites everyone, including the owner's wife. I don't think that dog (who was a former stray dog) was mean; just frightened, that's all. I've also been bitten by a few rescue cats who didn't want to be touched by anyone. Plus, everyone in my family was often bitten by a horse we kept on our property for a year. As far as I'm concerned, anything and anyone can bite. Heck, a little kid with a fractured wrist once tried to bite one of my residents. Later, the same kid was smiling when my resident told the kid a funny "knock-knock" joke. It's what it is.

So I have significant hearing loss, and I've always been proud of who I was because of it. I know I have an accent and sometimes it's hard to understand me because of it-especially my R's. But I mean, you can ask some of the people who have heard my voice before (other people on the Watering Hole) and in general, it's not hard to understand me at all!

But I went to a burrito place today and I said "can I get a burrito?" And he didn't understand me. I repeated it, trying to pronunciation more clearly, and he still didn't understand. Meanwhile, a long line is forming behind me. He goes "I'm sorry, I need to go find someone who can understand". He brings back like 3 people and I'm trying to pronounce that I'd like a burrito and they're all standing around, unable to figure it out, so I said "you know, tortilla with meat and other things in it?" "OOOOHHHH you mean a BURRITO? Okay! Why didn't you say that in the first place?". And it took everything in me not to cry in the middle of the restaurant.

I did 9 years of speech therapy, and I'm super proud of all the progress I've made. But it feels like a stab in the heart every time someone can't understand me. I've had people in the medical field and other pre-vetties tell me that I can't be a doctor with my thick accent, or that I especially couldn't be a surgeon. It just hurts.

And this isn't a "I hate being Deaf" rant. I'm very proud of who I am- I'm a badass biochemist, I do amazing research that goes to exciting symposiums! I'm a professional drummer, I'm going to be going to vet school in the Fall! I love who I am, it's just tiring to constantly explain that no, I'm not from anywhere foreign, no I'm not British, I'm from Dallas, Texas! I've had people ask *why* I'm Deaf, or if they could test that I'm deaf. Last year, I had someone that I had never met before ask if they can whisper in my deaf ear/ touch the inside of my ear to see why I'm Deaf (she got nowhere near my ear btw). I guess I'm just tired of explaining it, and I know that I'm gonna have to explain it to future employers and clients and significant others and my Alzheimer's grandparents and random people in random restaurants. I'm just tired of this.

Reactions: 4 users