RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random rant. I want to start blogging or tumblr-ing and I can't think of a username. I'm so indecisive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too much to ask to be a nonexistant person yet still be on social media?

This is part of why I deactivated my FB months ago. I wouldn't have been able to do it while still in vet school (too much info on our class group) but I'm 100% fine without being on it anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Random rant. I want to start blogging or tumblr-ing and I can't think of a username. I'm so indecisive!
Luckily, you can change your username whenever you want! (at least on tumblr you can...dunno about other blogging platforms)

Luckily, you can change your username whenever you want! (at least on tumblr you can...dunno about other blogging platforms)
I just noticed that on tumblr!! But for a blog blog (weebly or something) I don't think I could.

Members don't see this ad :)
House hunting sucks. I just want a place to live that will accept me and the 6 mammals I'm bringing with me (1 fiance, 2 dogs, 3 cats)!
We got to our house and have started moving in. The landlord's parents live on property. They just informed us that they didn't want to let the dog in, but agreed to it, but there is no way in hell we are allowed to let the cats in the house.

We even went out of our way to save and bring Gus Gus (the barn cat found on our last farm). They don't really even want them on property, but my hubby talked them into letting them stay in the barn.

I have Girl Cat shaved in a lion cut. I have already found 20 blocks of rodenticide in the shed behind the house. Their dogs will likely try to kill them (as they said)... I am really nervous about what will happen to the poor kitties when we turn them out.

Any ideas what to do? I don't know any rescues here or anybody we could rehome them with that isn't more than a day's drive away. And honestly, I just can't handle the drama right now that I think this old lady is going to rain down upon us over the next several months.

Sorry, quoted kcough to say, and even once you think you have found a place that will let you keep your critters...

(We were also told that all the land on the east side of the property is ours to do with as we please, and today we're told it is "common use" and they will rotate cattle through as they please and we cannot get more animals because that would disrupt their plans... I am very nervous about this house now.)

We got to our house and have started moving in. The landlord's parents live on property. They just informed us that they didn't want to let the dog in, but agreed to it, but there is no way in hell we are allowed to let the cats in the house.

We even went out of our way to save and bring Gus Gus (the barn cat found on our last farm). They don't really even want them on property, but my hubby talked them into letting them stay in the barn.

I have Girl Cat shaved in a lion cut. I have already found 20 blocks of rodenticide in the shed behind the house. Their dogs will likely try to kill them (as they said)... I am really nervous about what will happen to the poor kitties when we turn them out.

Any ideas what to do? I don't know any rescues here or anybody we could rehome them with that isn't more than a day's drive away. And honestly, I just can't handle the drama right now that I think this old lady is going to rain down upon us over the next several months.
Just don't let the cats out? I don't know how feasible that is for you. My family and I hid cats for many years when we lived in a unit prior to moving to the States. Our landlady definitely knew something was up and tried to find out, but she never did.

Just don't let the cats out? I don't know how feasible that is for you. My family and I hid cats for many years when we lived in a unit prior to moving to the States. Our landlady definitely knew something was up and tried to find out, but she never did.
She lives across the driveway from us and already knows the cats are here because we unloaded kennels when they came over. Poor kitties have been stuck in cages on the porch for 3 days while I delay moving them out to the barn.

She lives across the driveway from us and already knows the cats are here because we unloaded kennels when they came over. Poor kitties have been stuck in cages on the porch for 3 days while I delay moving them out to the barn.
Blergh. Hoping you can catch a break at some point. :(

Have you contacted the Humane Society or any veterinary clinics/hospitals in your new location to ask them for any advice/help with your situation? They may know of some great people who would like cats or safely house/foster/rehome them for you. Are they normally indoor cats or?

Reactions: 1 users
Did they tell you beforehand that you could have the cats? If so, then I would push back -- hard. You moved your whole family (*including* the animal contingent of your family) to the house under an agreement, and they need to honor that agreement. That includes the land that you were told was included for your use.

I'm not sure what the tenant rights are where you live, but in a lot of places, they favor the tenant over the landlord once you have moved in, so that's maybe something to look into.

I wish I could take the kitties -- I feel so bad for them (and you!) :(

sent from ma fone

Reactions: 5 users
Or, gimme the phone and I'll talk to them -- I'll give those grumps a piece of my mind and tell them what I think about their approach to cat welfare lol

Reactions: 5 users

@LadyOtheFarm ... in addition to the suggestions already posted above, you can contact local schools (elementary, middle, high school) and inform them that you have cats available for adoption. Provide photos and background information: your cats are urgently available for adoption/re-homing, any place safe to save them from serious harm.

True story:

A single friend of mine owned two birds. He was transferred to another job location; and there was no way he could take any pets with him to the new location. He was heartbroken.

I suggested he contact some local schools and tell them about the plight of the two birds; ask them if there was any possibility the teachers could send messages to parents. [Encouraged him to make the story personal (job transfer), include nice photographs (showing both birds), and focus on the welfare and safety of the birds.]

I am happy to report he contacted ALL of the schools in his area. An elementary school teacher sent a "bird available" email message to her students' parents. Within a week, both birds were adopted by the same family. One year later, my friend still receives messages and photos of the two birds: the birds are both healthy and safe and doing fine with their new family.

Reactions: 6 users
More of a whine then a full on rant: I'm getting my winter tires off tomorrow and I meant to ask housemate to help me load the summer tires into the Rav, but I forgot and now he's not home and I had to do it myself.

More of a whine then a full on rant: I'm getting my winter tires off tomorrow and I meant to ask housemate to help me load the summer tires into the Rav, but I forgot and now he's not home and I had to do it myself.
Oof. But at least you got in a workout to look good for summer. haha
strong.gif

Bahaha not really. They're too heavy for me to carry so I end up rolling them down the walkway and lifting them into the hatch. And I already look good for summer. ;)

I hate this part of that chore, too. I usually end up carrying the first two, then rolling the rest. Except I have stairs out of my apartment which make the rolling inconvenient.

I hate this part of that chore, too. I usually end up carrying the first two, then rolling the rest. Except I have stairs out of my apartment which make the rolling inconvenient.
I used to be able to manage with my little Kia Rio, but the Rav tires are way bigger. I could probably carry one at a time if they weren't also large and awkward.

I used to be able to manage with my little Kia Rio, but the Rav tires are way bigger. I could probably carry one at a time if they weren't also large and awkward.

Do you have the Toyota RAV4?? That's what I just got. I love it so far.

Do you have the Toyota RAV4?? That's what I just got. I love it so far.
Yep. It was my present to myself after I graduated. I've driven $500 beaters for 10 years so when I got my job, I bought a shiney new Rav4. Love it. Was great for large animal work too when I was doing that, lots of room in the hatch for my med kit.

Oy, I wouldn't want to deal with SUV tires either. It's hard enough with a Honda Civic!

@DVMDream the interesting fungal infection we were talking about apparently needs to be regrown before it can be identified :mad: so it's going to be a few weeks. She can't be adopted or around other dogs until they can verify it's not valley fever. On the bright side we fast tracked the adoption of our other foster so we didn't need to re-home him before adopting him out. I really hope that works out for him.

My Mustang has 20s on it. I would die.

No changing tires though - it has summer tires year round. Not rated below like 35 degrees. Oops... but they're great this time of year. (It came with 'em)

Have you contacted the Humane Society or any veterinary clinics/hospitals in your new location to ask them for any advice/help with your situation? They may know of some great people who would like cats or safely house/foster/rehome them for you. Are they normally indoor cats or?
I haven't yet, in part because we have a vet clinic that will be attached to my work and I figured I will bug them first. I also know nothing about the shelters in the area, other than my old work and the local rescues in Colorado took in a lot of animals from this area as it seems to be high kill/overcrowded (that is unverified on my part as of yet. I'm going off memory)

Did they tell you beforehand that you could have the cats? If so, then I would push back -- hard. You moved your whole family (*including* the animal contingent of your family) to the house under an agreement, and they need to honor that agreement. That includes the land that you were told was included for your use.

I'm not sure what the tenant rights are where you live, but in a lot of places, they favor the tenant over the landlord once you have moved in, so that's maybe something to look into.

I wish I could take the kitties -- I feel so bad for them (and you!) :(

sent from ma fone
As of yet, we still haven't signed a rental agreement.

Speaking with the landlord (our neighbor's son, they are the property owners), I had told him about all our animals, but I can't swear he even noticed that I said cats because he was so hung up on whether there would be room for our goats. All I know (now), is that he didn't tell mommy, and she thought we had hidden it somehow. He also didn't tell her about the rabbits, but since they live outside in hutches (we have very, very nice hutches even for our meat bunnies), she decided to let it be. My hubby is pretty good at sweet talking old ladies.

We had planned on likely selling all or almost all the chickens, and they all went, but apparently those weren't mentioned either.

We had planned on getting another cow and some pigs and chickens once we moved in, plus maybe another pup, but I don't think any of that will be "allowed."

Like I said, my impression of the situation before we moved was that 8 acres was mine to do with as I pleased. While we were talking about the cats and goats and our plans moving forward, the mom says, "That pasture is in common with us. We will be rotating cattle through as we see fit. You cannot change anything."

So we have to accept whatever she wants to expose my livestock too? We will have a farm with no ability to market products? No ability to control anything? And I am paying more for this place than a 10 acre home further out, because I thought the only difference was location. Oy.

I haven't yet, in part because we have a vet clinic that will be attached to my work and I figured I will bug them first. I also know nothing about the shelters in the area, other than my old work and the local rescues in Colorado took in a lot of animals from this area as it seems to be high kill/overcrowded (that is unverified on my part as of yet. I'm going off memory)

As of yet, we still haven't signed a rental agreement.

Speaking with the landlord (our neighbor's son, they are the property owners), I had told him about all our animals, but I can't swear he even noticed that I said cats because he was so hung up on whether there would be room for our goats. All I know (now), is that he didn't tell mommy, and she thought we had hidden it somehow. He also didn't tell her about the rabbits, but since they live outside in hutches (we have very, very nice hutches even for our meat bunnies), she decided to let it be. My hubby is pretty good at sweet talking old ladies.

We had planned on likely selling all or almost all the chickens, and they all went, but apparently those weren't mentioned either.

We had planned on getting another cow and some pigs and chickens once we moved in, plus maybe another pup, but I don't think any of that will be "allowed."

Like I said, my impression of the situation before we moved was that 8 acres was mine to do with as I pleased. While we were talking about the cats and goats and our plans moving forward, the mom says, "That pasture is in common with us. We will be rotating cattle through as we see fit. You cannot change anything."

So we have to accept whatever she wants to expose my livestock too? We will have a farm with no ability to market products? No ability to control anything? And I am paying more for this place than a 10 acre home further out, because I thought the only difference was location. Oy.

If you haven't signed a rental agreement yet I would see if the other place is still open and high tail it away from that situation as fast as possible. I have a feeling that even if you do come to an agreement you might still be fighting them in court because they haven't held up their end of the deal. :confused:

Reactions: 8 users
If you haven't signed a rental agreement yet I would see if the other place is still open and high tail it away from that situation as fast as possible. I have a feeling that even if you do come to an agreement you might still be fighting them in court because they haven't held up their end of the deal. :confused:
^^i second this

Reactions: 4 users
The other place was nearly 2 months ago in time. I am looking for other places, but farm property comes up so rarely, I don't know how much luck we will have.

Hubby thinks we should just deal for a year or 2 and then buy a place. (There is a ton for sale, if we were prepared for that, but we aren't)

The other place was nearly 2 months ago in time. I am looking for other places, but farm property comes up so rarely, I don't know how much luck we will have.

Hubby thinks we should just deal for a year or 2 and then buy a place. (There is a ton for sale, if we were prepared for that, but we aren't)
I understand if that is all you can do for now.

If you sign anything, I would just make sure that EVERY WORD they agree to is included or you will have issues with them later. I would also get that document notarized so it is a binding-legal document and they won't be able to go back on what they stated to start with. That way you will have all of your bases covered if they try to say "Well we didn't say that"...if you have it in writing and it is a legal document you will win those battles. If not, you stand to be miserable for a year or 2 before you can purchase a house.

Reactions: 4 users
Petty rant, but I need to complain. My landlord is refusing to do an inspection with us before we leave stating they only do that after we vacate. Unfortunately I did not find any laws regarding them needing to. Based on my history with this landlord I'd be surprised if I saw a penny of my security deposit and I'm not sure it's be worth it to get back here to fight them in small claims court. The worst part is that I feel we've been excellent tenants and have never missed rent and nothing is damaged. Unfortunately, I doubt it will matter to them one iota. I hate landlords.

Petty rant, but I need to complain. My landlord is refusing to do an inspection with us before we leave stating they only do that after we vacate. Unfortunately I did not find any laws regarding them needing to. Based on my history with this landlord I'd be surprised if I saw a penny of my security deposit and I'm not sure it's be worth it to get back here to fight them in small claims court. The worst part is that I feel we've been excellent tenants and have never missed rent and nothing is damaged. Unfortunately, I doubt it will matter to them one iota. I hate landlords.

Take pictures of everything before you leave. Every room, counter tops, where the water heater is kept...literally everything. This way you will have a time stamp of when the photo was taken (do it on your phone if you can get good pics). I've had landlords do the same thing. I take pics when I move in and when I move out and then I just send them the picture of the "problem areas" they tried to remove from my deposit. Haven't lost one since!

...can you tell I hate landlords as well? Ive learned over the years though. Ive been screwed out of several deposits and I've always been an excellent tenant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Definitely check related laws and see if there's a tenants' rights group in your area. I haven't heard of laws about when walk-throughs are performed, but there should be a deadline for when they have to notify you of any issues and return your deposit. In some places, if they miss that deadline (or try to withhold the deposit for BS reasons) they owe you 3x the deposit, so small claims may be more worth it.

I totally agree with @Liquid_Phoenix. If you can tell your landlord ahead of time that you will be taking photos, they may be less inclined to try any shenanigans later. Hope it works out!

Take pictures of everything before you leave. Every room, counter tops, where the water heater is kept...literally everything. This way you will have a time stamp of when the photo was taken (do it on your phone if you can get good pics). I've had landlords do the same thing. I take pics when I move in and when I move out and then I just send them the picture of the "problem areas" they tried to remove from my deposit. Haven't lost one since!

...can you tell I hate landlords as well? Ive learned over the years though. Ive been screwed out of several deposits and I've always been an excellent tenant.
Have done. We'll see.

Definitely check related laws and see if there's a tenants' rights group in your area. I haven't heard of laws about when walk-throughs are performed, but there should be a deadline for when they have to notify you of any issues and return your deposit. In some places, if they miss that deadline (or try to withhold the deposit for BS reasons) they owe you 3x the deposit, so small claims may be more worth it.

I totally agree with @Liquid_Phoenix. If you can tell your landlord ahead of time that you will be taking photos, they may be less inclined to try any shenanigans later. Hope it works out!
They have 30 days to send my deposit or an itemized list of things to they deducted with the rest of my deposit. Or, which I think is likely because they're awful, a bill with more money than the deposit requested. I'm afraid to give a forwarding address in CA because they'll be more likely to screw me over.

I've been asked to complete an evaluation as part of a reference for someone I consider a friend and I can't decide between being honest in what may hurt their application or trying to make them seem stronger than they are. Oof.

I've been asked to complete an evaluation as part of a reference for someone I consider a friend and I can't decide between being honest in what may hurt their application or trying to make them seem stronger than they are. Oof.
I completely understand your position on this. On one hand they are your friend and you want to give them a good reference but in the other you probably wouldn't hire them yourself? (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong in my assumption :) )

Ask yourself these questions:
If you are not honest will it fall back on you?
If it were you in whatever situation this is, would you want someone to be honest with you?

Do you have the option to not provide the evaluation?

This is a sucky dilemma, no doubt. Been there, done that. I've never regretted being honest in my evaluation, though.

Mini rant: Google maps told me the walk from the greyhound station to the airport was only 20 min and when I asked the bus information guy he said it was really close, just down the street. I figured needed exercise and so rather then taxi I decided to walk. I didn't think about how hot Phoenix is though and that I had to carry my baggage as well and that I was wearing my warmer northern clothes because I am headed home. 30 min later I get there very sweaty for my flight. Also my shoes gave me blisters. I definitely brought this on myself though. Poor person who has to sit next to me.

Mini rant: Google maps told me the walk from the greyhound station to the airport was only 20 min and when I asked the bus information guy he said it was really close, just down the street. I figured needed exercise and so rather then taxi I decided to walk. I didn't think about how hot Phoenix is though and that I had to carry my baggage as well and that I was wearing my warmer northern clothes because I am headed home. 30 min later I get there very sweaty for my flight. Also my shoes gave me blisters. I definitely brought this on myself though. Poor person who has to sit next to me.
Ugh. I feel for ya. It is a bit amusing considering snowshoe is in your name though. I imagine you wearing them hiking in Phoenix now for this story. Hope you got some good bandaids for the blisters and a drink for the heat!

Reactions: 7 users
Ugh. I feel for ya. It is a bit amusing considering snowshoe is in your name though. I imagine you wearing them hiking in Phoenix now for this story. Hope you got some good bandaids for the blisters and a drink for the heat!

:rofl:Lol well thats a hilarious image. Maybe not THAT northern of clothes. Snowshoes would definitely not have done me any good here.

I am honestly terrified of living in the South or southwest because my wardrobe is basically sweatpants, jeans, sweaters and the same jacket that I wash and wear literally everyday. I can't with the heat and that's why my plan is to move to Alaska.

Last edited:
My forearms are covered in tiny scratches - for once, not from my job, but from working in the garden. Each tiny scratch is surrounded by hives. It's -not- poison oak or ivy as I' not sensitive to those. It's not spreading and it's just the little scratches with a few scabby areas and a few hives around each scratch. They've been tehre for almost a week now.

I'm also super sensitive to anti-histamines. Can't take loratidine or ceterizine. Hydroxyzine makes me nauseous. Brompheniramine is my favorite but I was out since I rarely take anything.

Well, I'm so itchy I decided to take my dog's benadryl . Had just gotten a new bottle in case the cytopoint didn't work - first time its been opened. . Could have sworn I bought the 25mg benadryl, so I took a half. 25 usally makes me feel weird. 50mg has been known to make me hallucinate. Didn't think about hte fact that I had a beer earlier. Didn't realize I had accidentally gotten 50mg benadryl tablets and not the usual 25mg. I was so desprate I didn't even look.

So here I am on 25mg of benadryl twitching (mostly mentally...I think) so much I can't sleep. my brain feels like fuzz. My eyeballs itch. I dont like this.

My forearms are covered in tiny scratches - for once, not from my job, but from working in the garden. Each tiny scratch is surrounded by hives. It's -not- poison oak or ivy as I' not sensitive to those. It's not spreading and it's just the little scratches with a few scabby areas and a few hives around each scratch. They've been tehre for almost a week now.

I'm also super sensitive to anti-histamines. Can't take loratidine or ceterizine. Hydroxyzine makes me nauseous. Brompheniramine is my favorite but I was out since I rarely take anything.

Well, I'm so itchy I decided to take my dog's benadryl . Had just gotten a new bottle in case the cytopoint didn't work - first time its been opened. . Could have sworn I bought the 25mg benadryl, so I took a half. 25 usally makes me feel weird. 50mg has been known to make me hallucinate. Didn't think about hte fact that I had a beer earlier. Didn't realize I had accidentally gotten 50mg benadryl tablets and not the usual 25mg. I was so desprate I didn't even look.

So here I am on 25mg of benadryl twitching (mostly mentally...I think) so much I can't sleep. my brain feels like fuzz. My eyeballs itch. I dont like this.
Yikes. At least you did halve it. This post might have gotten quite interesting if you'd taken the whole thing! Hope it works soon and the weirdness subsides for some good sleep. Maybe you'll have some crazy dreams.