RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh, Mr. Coopah just got rejected from the first job he scored an interview with out in Cali :(. I know it will happen but it's a little frustrating when everything out there wants you to have graduated this year. We had the opposite problem over in New England when trying to find a job fresh out of undergrad. Any suggestions for electrical and computer engineering positions in the Davis area would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I go back to work tomorrow. First time since late march. First time since my back surgery. I'm nervous to say the least. But at least I've remained looped in on the drama and ridiculousness via text, FB, and email :wtf::yeahright:

Reactions: 8 users
I go back to work tomorrow. First time since late march. First time since my back surgery. I'm nervous to say the least. But at least I've remained looped in on the drama and ridiculousness via text, FB, and email :wtf::yeahright:
We're rooting for you dy!

Drama is the worst. Especially since they're updating you on drama. Ew

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dy, your input is the difference between world disaster and Batman kicking the living daylights out of the Joker. You know this. I understand the burden is heavy, but being a hero is not all cake and unicorn farts.

Reactions: 4 users
Ugh, Mr. Coopah just got rejected from the first job he scored an interview with out in Cali :(. I know it will happen but it's a little frustrating when everything out there wants you to have graduated this year. We had the opposite problem over in New England when trying to find a job fresh out of undergrad. Any suggestions for electrical and computer engineering positions in the Davis area would be appreciated.
Asking my friend who's bf is mechanical but works in electrical now who graduated from UCD a few years ago
Will PM you what I find out

Asking my friend who's bf is mechanical but works in electrical now who graduated from UCD a few years ago
Will PM you what I find out
SDN networking... Activate!!

Al2tKvo.gif

Reactions: 11 users
my other doc decided that she randomly "doesn't see guinea pigs" despite seeing them in the past. We had a client asking questions about ringworm and treatment options and she wouldn't even answer the email.
That's frustrating! Especially since she used to see them! Don't forget to take it as easy as possible upon coming back!

Reactions: 1 user
Dy, your input is the difference between world disaster and Batman kicking the living daylights out of the Joker. You know this. I understand the burden is heavy, but being a hero is not all cake and unicorn farts.

Yeah, but it would be nice if it were at least a LITTLE cake and unicorn farts.

I mean, just a bit would go a long ways.

Instead, it's more like:

elephan3.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, but it would be nice if it were at least a LITTLE cake and unicorn farts.

I mean, just a bit would go a long ways.

Instead, it's more like:

elephan3.jpg

What do they say about lemons???
elephant-poop-paper-printed.jpg.400x300_q90_crop-smart.jpg

ETA: this probably would have been more apropos if it were monkeys flinging at everyone, but I've learned to control my temper a bit better in my years. haha

And... I'm sick again. This time it's bacterial tonsillitis and an ear infection. :grumpy: At least my body is getting it all over with before vet school starts? Or at least that's the hope. This makes three times sick in 4 months and I usually only get sick 1-2 times per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
And... I'm sick again. This time it's bacterial tonsillitis and an ear infection. :grumpy: At least my body is getting it all over with before vet school starts? Or at least that's the hope. This makes three times sick in 4 months and I usually only get sick 1-2 times per year.
This is where stress can rear its ugly head. I am also rarely sick, but usually after finals I would get struck down once the adrenaline wore off.

Reactions: 2 users
lol thanks guys. I'm more frustrated with the changing goalposts with the other vet
That's really frustrating. At my workplace, it's assumed that everyone will see companion exotics and dog/cats... we're mixed so every once in a while a pig or goat will come in while the doc who usually does them isn't there and we kinda scramble/brainstorm about them together, but I think my bosses would think I'd gone mad if I just up and decided to not see any particular species.

Feel better avh! Being sick is hard. :(
This is where stress can rear its ugly head. I am also rarely sick, but usually after finals I would get struck down once the adrenaline wore off.
My body actually does the opposite, and gets me sick right before finals. I'd prefer getting sick after but hmph.

I'm thinking stress is a big part of it too. Work has been extremely stressful, especially in the past month. Toxic work environments at their finest. I'm trying to see about getting a summer job where my fiancé lives until school starts so I don't have to work there anymore...

it'd be fine if she were consistent. And really, she could have told them how much a fungal culture costs

That's the thing. If she <was> seeing them, she should keep seeing them. Or give some sort of "hey, starting in 6 months I don't want to see exotics anymore" kind of notice. I think that's fair, because as doctors we should get to determine what we're comfortable seeing.

But it's kinda frustrating to just "today I'm not seeing them anymore" on you. That's uncool.

Reactions: 6 users
That's the thing. If she <was> seeing them, she should keep seeing them. Or give some sort of "hey, starting in 6 months I don't want to see exotics anymore" kind of notice. I think that's fair, because as doctors we should get to determine what we're comfortable seeing.

But it's kinda frustrating to just "today I'm not seeing them anymore" on you. That's uncool.
yeah and I knew she wasn't super comfortable with them. I'm not going to force anything on her. But she also knew I was coming back tomorrow and the client contacted us yesterday. no reason I had to be sending work emails and texts regarding this when she could have easily set the appointment up for tomorrow without the attitude

@Coopah ... my suggestions:

1. Mr. Coopah might want to look at the hiring opportunities offered at UC Davis. As a start, you can go to: https://www.employment.ucdavis.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp

2. Since you're a full-time student at SVM, Mr. Coopah might be able to meet with the Internship and Career Center at UC Davis. Go to: UC Davis | Internship and Career Center

@Coopah ... my suggestions:

1. Mr. Coopah might want to look at the hiring opportunities offered at UC Davis. As a start, you can go to: https://www.employment.ucdavis.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp

2. Since you're a full-time student at SVM, Mr. Coopah might be able to meet with the Internship and Career Center at UC Davis. Go to: UC Davis | Internship and Career Center
Thanks! We've spoken to them, but unfortunately the only suggestions they had was to go to their job search on their website. Thanks for the suggestions though Doc S!

Thanks! We've spoken to them, but unfortunately the only suggestions they had was to go to their job search on their website. Thanks for the suggestions though Doc S!
@Coopah ... it is advisable to search the jobs on the UC Davis website. The UC schools often offer multiple employment opportunities in many different positions/career tracks.

My next suggestion: Mr. Coopah can contact the College of Engineering at UC Davis. For electrical and computer engineering, go to: Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Program - College of Engineering UC Davis

If any engineering professors have a biography or a professional background that seems similar to Mr. Coopah's background, it might be a good idea to network with them, too. It can't hurt.

I'm sick of getting ****ing nose bleeds. I get at least one a month, if not more and these aren't just a simple 5-10 minutes, no big deal. ****ers last for 30 minutes or more and probably longer but I give up applying pressure once it slows down.

Anyway, TMI, nose bleeds suck and I'm sick of them.

I'm sick of getting ****ing nose bleeds. I get at least one a month, if not more and these aren't just a simple 5-10 minutes, no big deal. ****ers last for 30 minutes or more and probably longer but I give up applying pressure once it slows down.

Haven't you been getting headaches, too? Maybe something is up with your blood pressure? Hope everything is okay :(

How many humidifiers do you have? I personally cannot handle much time in dry atmosphere without severe nose retribution.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm sorry DVMD, I really hope you feel better. (I'm not sure if that's the correct phrase for this situation but I couldn't think of a better one!) Get well soon!

I will never understand why my roommate waits until the middle of my shower to start hers. This happens almost daily. As good as a blast of ice water can be for your skin/hair, it gets old.

I will never understand why my roommate waits until the middle of my shower to start hers. This happens almost daily. As good as a blast of ice water can be for your skin/hair, it gets old.
I had to read your first sentence a few times to get what you meant, when I lived with roommates we had to share a bathroom so I was like "she tries to come take a shower when you're already in there...?" :laugh: This is my brain on finals week. But that is annoying.

I had to read your first sentence a few times to get what you meant, when I lived with roommates we had to share a bathroom so I was like "she tries to come take a shower when you're already in there...?" :laugh: This is my brain on finals week. But that is annoying.
:rofl:That would be annoying too

Haven't you been getting headaches, too? Maybe something is up with your blood pressure? Hope everything is okay :(

How many humidifiers do you have? I personally cannot handle much time in dry atmosphere without severe nose retribution.
Speaking of random nose bleed causes, I never had a nose bleed in my life until I started drinking. Now if I get really drunk I tend to get nosebleeds. I've never had them aside from that though.

@DVMDream... most of the time, nosebleeds are a nuisance and inconvenient. Your nosebleeds last a while - 30 minutes or longer despite compression. So, I'm wondering if you've recently checked-in with your primary care provider to make sure everything is okay; and to discuss your nosebleeds, nausea and headaches. You know ... just to be on the safe side.

Guess whose semester GPA managed to skirt just over the line into academic probation territory?

I mean... no, I didn't fail out and, yes, I get to continue on as a VM2, but now I have another huge pressure to do better next semester. And it's supposedly one of, if not THE most difficult semester in the program. If my GPA does not improve past a certain level, I could be dismissed entirely.

I'm just really upset that I put a lot of time and effort into last semester, especially into anatomy, and I still did so much worse than I did during my first semester. I actually feel like I had a much better grasp on the information and was learning so much more, too, but apparently not.

Frustrating. Discouraging.
Sounds like you haven't found the right balance of studying yet maybe. I think there are quite a few people who said their grades actually started going up when they cut their study hours down a bit and made more time for themselves. There is such a thing as study burn out and it reflects on test scores. We will be here to root you on, so take the summer to recharge and hit up next semester like it is your first. :zip:

Guess whose semester GPA managed to skirt just over the line into academic probation territory?

I mean... no, I didn't fail out and, yes, I get to continue on as a VM2, but now I have another huge pressure to do better next semester. And it's supposedly one of, if not THE most difficult semester in the program. If my GPA does not improve past a certain level, I could be dismissed entirely.

I'm just really upset that I put a lot of time and effort into last semester, especially into anatomy, and I still did so much worse than I did during my first semester. I actually feel like I had a much better grasp on the information and was learning so much more, too, but apparently not.

Oh no! I know you thought you had just made it into not-academic probation territory (I don't know how else to say that, lol). That must make it extra discouraging, and I'm so sorry :(. Try not to beat yourself up about it, I know it's hard not to, but (at least for me) it helps in the long run to do your best to stay positive. You have the summer to rest and regroup, and we are all here to support you! I know you can do it!

Of all the public health things that could have been asked on the exam, we were asked the % of people polled who support marijuana legalization and the % of food sales that are organic. I'm starting to think some of these instructors need someone to proofread their questions on the account of them being absolutely ridiculous.

I feel like I am learning SO much... but I guess I'm not if my GPA is that low
You ARE learning a TON. You could know so much and just not know what the professor decided to ask that day. You will be a GREAT doctor. You will make it through the rest of school. You made it through year 1! Take your time to celebrate, relax and recharge. It doesn't matter right now if you were 0.01 above what you needed to be, you did it! Be proud of yourself, Sandy! We are all proud of you! Please enjoy your summer and don't stress. Take time for yourself, it's important.

My first year of vet school was total crap. I barely scraped by in many classes. Many people said second year is harder, and maybe it is, but for the most part I've enjoyed it a lot more and I'm doing significantly better. I started studying a bit differently and I try to employ more active learning vs passive, so I'm studying less overall and doing better. Maybe you should try something a little different to see if that helps. Also, maybe 2nd year will be more interesting/relevant, and that will help too. I get it being discouraged, and I definitely started 2nd year wondering if I belonged in vet school at all, but here I am, almost halfway done vet school. I've made it this far, I'm sure I can make it the rest of the way. Feel free to pm me if you want to commiserate with someone who totally understands. I will even tell you an embarrassing detail that I haven't told anyone about if you'd like.

sandy, don't take it too hard. Vet school is HARD. It is really, really hard. I'm always here if you need any help.

but you know what? Not a single person has asked what my grades were post graduation.

I was definitely in the bottom bit of my class and nobody has given one **** since I graduated. The minutia that differentiates a C from a B from an A is so often irrelevant (and, shockingly, so able to be looked up) that I really can't echo enough that you just gotta get through it. It sucks to work hard and not have the results show, but it doesn't mean you're not going to be a good vet.

Reactions: 7 users
My worst fear for this round of finals came true--needed a 93 in my last one to keep an A, final grades were posted and I got a 91. 2 QUESTIONS OFF :bang:my only hope is if she'll round up decimals for the final grades? potential last30hr 4.0 was already ruined by clin path, but I don't want to go down yet another point. sigh

My worst fear for this round of finals came true--needed a 93 in my last one to keep an A, final grades were posted and I got a 91. 2 QUESTIONS OFF :bang:my only hope is if she'll round up decimals for the final grades? potential last30hr 4.0 was already ruined by clin path, but I don't want to go down yet another point. sigh
No offense, but if not having a 4.0 is your worst fear... You need to re-evaluate your priorities. Seriously. It's fine.

Reactions: 13 users
Thanks so much. <3 I'm trying to remain positive about the whole thing and motivate myself to keep improving how I study and handle school, because clearly something is fundamentally wrong.

@sheltermed I actually thought I would be okay, too! But looking through ISU's academic standards/expectations, there was apparently a big change made for our class and onwards. Previously, students simply had to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA and core GPA (basically, all of the required classes---so no electives are factored into that one). I would have been fine and still considered to be in good standing under those rules.

But starting with our class, the policy has been revamped. We now have four GPAs that must be 2.0 or higher: cumulative, cumulative core, semester, and semester core. I didn't take any electives this semester, so I made a 1.97 semester and semester core GPA. My cumulative GPA is still high enough to meet the minimum, but that doesn't matter.

When I started vet school, I never expected that I would be towards the very bottom of the class and that I would struggle so much. I knew going on that it would be hard but I expected that, if I put in the effort, I could at least make the cut for academic standards. But here I am! It's especially frustrating because I feel like I am learning SO much... but I guess I'm not if my GPA is that low. Bleh.

Oh, well. Onward and upward. At least I know what to expect moving forward.
Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that this is how most vet students feel at the start of vet school. Not everyone even passes first year my friend. I'm not saying you should use someone else's misfortune to make yourself feel better, but you PASSED! You are capable and intelligent and bright and you will do great things.

Also, for what it's worth, being at the bottom doesn't necessarily mean you're that far behind everyone else. Our admin office told me that the bottom 40%ish of my class practically have the same grades, we're literally fractions of a percentage apart. My school does things a little differently, but usually class rank works out that way no matter where you are. I'm in the bottom 30%, and I have the same GPA as someone who is like 25 spots ahead of me but has gotten just a few more % points on each exam. Don't sweat your rank and enjoy your summer, you deserve it.

Thanks so much. <3 I'm trying to remain positive about the whole thing and motivate myself to keep improving how I study and handle school, because clearly something is fundamentally wrong.

@sheltermed I actually thought I would be okay, too! But looking through ISU's academic standards/expectations, there was apparently a big change made for our class and onwards. Previously, students simply had to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA and core GPA (basically, all of the required classes---so no electives are factored into that one). I would have been fine and still considered to be in good standing under those rules.

But starting with our class, the policy has been revamped. We now have four GPAs that must be 2.0 or higher: cumulative, cumulative core, semester, and semester core. I didn't take any electives this semester, so I made a 1.97 semester and semester core GPA. My cumulative GPA is still high enough to meet the minimum, but that doesn't matter.

When I started vet school, I never expected that I would be towards the very bottom of the class and that I would struggle so much. I knew going on that it would be hard but I expected that, if I put in the effort, I could at least make the cut for academic standards. But here I am! It's especially frustrating because I feel like I am learning SO much... but I guess I'm not if my GPA is that low. Bleh.

All you need to know for passing micro next semester is that the case histories are the most important part of identifying your bacteria, and that Dr. Griffith's strain of E. coli looks like pink donuts on MacConkey's agar. I got a D on the first exam and on the final, and still got out of the class with a B-. The reason everyone says second year is the worst is because the newness and excitement of being in vet school is long gone, and graduation seems so far off, and vet students are some of the world's worst complainers. The material isn't any more difficult, and a lot of it is a whole lot more interesting than memorizing the names of all the arteries and veins and nerves in a horse leg. So stop worrying about what everyone else says about second year. It only matters how you approach it. And you have a full summer to relax and recharge and come back fresh and ready to learn again. Enjoy it!

No offense, but if not having a 4.0 is your worst fear... You need to re-evaluate your priorities. Seriously. It's fine.
Haha, I get it. I don't mean to be one of "those" guys--it's not so much that I "agh must have 4.0 grr" I def don't have anywhere near a 4.0 cumulative, just have a below avg GPA and need improvement for my future apps. My last 30/45 hours and sci GPAs are my only way to do that, so getting all As this semester had me stressing. (my fear was getting just 1-2 points below my needed score on the final)

I know it's still okay even getting dropped a couple points, but it's disappointing to kinda taint my good work from last semester because of silly mistakes. :(

Haha, I get it. I don't mean to be one of "those" guys--it's not so much that I "agh must have 4.0 grr" I def don't have anywhere near a 4.0 cumulative, just have a below avg GPA and need improvement for my future apps. My last 30/45 hours and sci GPAs are my only way to do that, so getting all As this semester had me stressing. (my fear was getting just 1-2 points below my needed score on the final)

I know it's still okay even getting dropped a couple points, but it's disappointing to kinda taint my good work from last semester because of silly mistakes. :(
I know how you feel, Deva. It sucks. Truly sucks. But you can't beat yourself up over it because there's nothing else you can do! It's in the past!

I'll go to South Texas and go all Rafiki on you if I have to!
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

original.gif

I finally get to see my baby boy, Simba, again on Sunday, so I have the Lion King in my head!

Reactions: 6 users

Hey you're still starting out ahead of me. I flunked a class first year, had to retake an exam in the summer to guarantee my placement in second year. Most stressful exam probably of vet school. And I barely passed it. I still managed to make it through the following years, secure a vet school transfer, graduate and get a job. Just believe that you aren't the only one struggling and others have definitely been there before and survived. Do the best you can while still allowing yourself to enjoy the things you enjoy.

Reactions: 9 users