RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got woken up from a wonderful nap because of insanely loud tornado warning. Stood on my balcony, watched hail pelt my car, and went back inside to camp in my closet and wait for it to pass. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got woken up from a wonderful nap because of insanely loud tornado warning. Stood on my balcony, watched hail pelt my car, and went back inside to camp in my closet and wait for it to pass. :confused:
Aaaaand in typical Stillwater style, nothing happened.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey you're still starting out ahead of me. I flunked a class first year, had to retake an exam in the summer to guarantee my placement in second year. Most stressful exam probably of vet school. And I barely passed it. I still managed to make it through the following years, secure a vet school transfer, graduate and get a job. Just believe that you aren't the only one struggling and others have definitely been there before and survived. Do the best you can while still allowing yourself to enjoy the things you enjoy.
I would die

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that this is how most vet students feel at the start of vet school. Not everyone even passes first year my friend. I'm not saying you should use someone else's misfortune to make yourself feel better, but you PASSED! You are capable and intelligent and bright and you will do great things.

Also, for what it's worth, being at the bottom doesn't necessarily mean you're that far behind everyone else. Our admin office told me that the bottom 40%ish of my class practically have the same grades, we're literally fractions of a percentage apart. My school does things a little differently, but usually class rank works out that way no matter where you are. I'm in the bottom 30%, and I have the same GPA as someone who is like 25 spots ahead of me but has gotten just a few more % points on each exam. Don't sweat your rank and enjoy your summer, you deserve it.

This makes me feel insanely better right now. With how hardcore my class has become and knowing I'm in the bottom of my class, it's rough sometimes when people freak over not getting a few questions right and I'm trying to just pass. I just need a 66% on this final to pass with the 70% and I hate assuming low when I feel I should be aiming high.

Reactions: 1 users
Is hyperbole. but seriously, I can't even imagine. Kudos DVMD--the pressure had to have been real
I get that, but it happens to A LOT of people in vet school. I was in a similar situation at the end of first year too, and I needed to take a remedial exam over the summer.

Last edited:
This makes me feel insanely better right now. With how hardcore my class has become and knowing I'm in the bottom of my class, it's rough sometimes when people freak over not getting a few questions right and I'm trying to just pass. I just need a 66% on this final to pass with the 70% and I hate assuming low when I feel I should be aiming high.
I mean, your class is crazy anyways. You guys haven't exactly established a 'family' environment with your group unfortunately.

I mean it really does suck (to me anyways) that just a few questions on each exam makes a huge difference in class rank but no difference in GPA, but I suppose that's how it has to work when you get 9 grades total during your veterinary school career. I'm still curious as to how exactly they calculate our rank because no one tells me when I ask. There's certain things that just don't make sense about it, but whatever.

Edit: Also I personally think it's damn near impossible for some of us to accept the idea of 'You just have to pass!' When your instructors say you're "dumber than the medical school students" or are "mediocre," it's pretty hard to feel good with a C, let alone a D (which is still passing that quarter). Plus the almost permanent effects undergrad leaves on a pre-vet..it gets hard.

More edit because I'm salty: And then you can be like me, where your grades only go up but your GPA barely budges because the grading system is so screwy here, so you feel hopeless all the time. My class rank got better, but not by much (which doesn't make sense given the number of people who barely passed our first quarter this year).

Last edited:
I'm sort of fascinated by all of you that know your class rank and how it changes along the way. I literally didn't find out my rank until I was applying for the match and it was necessary information. Ours were never posted anywhere, you had to go to the office to ask if you wanted to know.

I'm sort of fascinated by all of you that know your class rank and how it changes along the way. I literally didn't find out my rank until I was applying for the match and it was necessary information. Ours were never posted anywhere, you had to go to the office to ask if you wanted to know.
At least here, it also applies to some scholarship applications, so I like to know mine.

We have to go in person and ask too. I only asked for a few external scholarships/just to gauge what I'm looking at future-wise. My bf and I are in a weird place right now where we aren't sure where I'm going to end up, so it's making it easier on our relationship to be able to sketch a rough outline. Like, for example, I can all but guarantee that I'm not a candidate for any super competitive internship or residency down the road, so I can tell him that we may not need to expect a move in the next few years.

I got an unsolicited email at the end of every semester telling me mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
ours is calculated once a year in September and posted with our transcripts.

I mean, your class is crazy anyways. You guys haven't exactly established a 'family' environment with your group unfortunately.

I mean it really does suck (to me anyways) that just a few questions on each exam makes a huge difference in class rank but no difference in GPA, but I suppose that's how it has to work when you get 9 grades total during your veterinary school career. I'm still curious as to how exactly they calculate our rank because no one tells me when I ask. There's certain things that just don't make sense about it, but whatever.

Edit: Also I personally think it's damn near impossible for some of us to accept the idea of 'You just have to pass!' When your instructors say you're "dumber than the medical school students" or are "mediocre," it's pretty hard to feel good with a C, let alone a D (which is still passing that quarter). Plus the almost permanent effects undergrad leaves on a pre-vet..it gets hard.

More edit because I'm salty: And then you can be like me, where your grades only go up but your GPA barely budges because the grading system is so screwy here, so you feel hopeless all the time. My class rank got better, but not by much (which doesn't make sense given the number of people who barely passed our first quarter this year).

My grade anxiety doesn't come so much from the professors, even the aforementioned Satan himself. It's more from the class. It's just super competitive and cliquey for some reason (and so dramatic!!). I normally am so laid back that the "just pass" mentality I normally have doesn't really bother me.

My grade anxiety doesn't come so much from the professors, even the aforementioned Satan himself. It's more from the class. It's just super competitive and cliquey for some reason (and so dramatic!!). I normally am so laid back that the "just pass" mentality I normally have doesn't really bother me.
I wish you would have applied to Illinois for my class. We're a pretty chill group. We have our snowflakes for sure (as you can see by the person on my latest FB status who is recruiting people to harass a professor with her...), but there are only a small handful of people in my class who openly say stupid judgy **** about grades.

I wish you would have applied to Illinois for my class. We're a pretty chill group. We have our snowflakes for sure (as you can see by the person on my latest FB status who is recruiting people to harass a professor with her...), but there are only a small handful of people in my class who openly say stupid judgy **** about grades.

I regularly wish I was in your class. I'm way too type B for VM20....

Oh really?! Mary Bryant told us this last year, but said she was open to doing away with it. I'm REALLY glad to hear that!

I don't see it on mine. I mean, it's in Latin and I can't translate all of it anymore but I know enough that I don't recognize any numbers other than the graduation date.

I don't see it on mine. I mean, it's in Latin and I can't translate all of it anymore but I know enough that I don't recognize any numbers other than the graduation date.
During one of those "it's ok" lunch talks, they kept saying not to compare yourself to classmates, and a second year said "you guys keep saying that, but at the bottom of our diplomas you list our class rank?!" And MB was like, yeah, good point, I'd love to do away with it. So maybe they just changed it? Would love to know from previous years. I'm glad it's not on yours (because that means it likely won't be on mine!)

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions, everyone. I appreciate SDN so much for providing me a place to vent. <3

I feel a little less upset after ruminating over it for a few hours and seeing that I am far from the only one who is struggling (I mean, I know deep down that I'm not, but when multiple classmates complain about their Bs or A-s in a class that you barely passed... it's hard to not feel like you are alone or less deserving of being there). I'm just hoping that next year goes over better!
Eh, forget them. I once had a classmate tell me to my face that "any grade less than a B just means you're not even trying" after I confided that I was stressed that I got a C. Some people are just a**holes, and then some people don't even realize what they're saying is making people feel bad.

During one of those "it's ok" lunch talks, they kept saying not to compare yourself to classmates, and a second year said "you guys keep saying that, but at the bottom of our diplomas you list our class rank?!" And MB was like, yeah, good point, I'd love to do away with it. So maybe they just changed it? Would love to know from previous years. I'm glad it's not on yours (because that means it likely won't be on mine!)

Just double checked and definitely not there. Had never heard that before. That's honestly super stupid if that actually was ever a thing. No one cares after vet school what your GPA/rank was and even for internships, etc it's not necessarily a death sentence.

On your diploma?! I mean I'm sure that's a great little bit of info for #1 in the class but other than that...

Just double checked and definitely not there. Had never heard that before. That's honestly super stupid if that actually was ever a thing. No one cares after vet school what your GPA/rank was and even for internships, etc it's not necessarily a death sentence.
It's actually been giving me anxiety since that lunch talk, so I do feel better. My rank after 1st year was terrible, though I believe it's gotten better 2nd year, but still, I just don't need a constant reminder.

It's actually been giving me anxiety since that lunch talk, so I do feel better. My rank after 1st year was terrible, though I believe it's gotten better 2nd year, but still, I just don't need a constant reminder.

Mine was pretty horrible despite pulling up my GPA by over a full point, so don't let it get you down.

At least here, it also applies to some scholarship applications, so I like to know mine.
I was out of state, so most of the scholarships they emailed us about from the state VMA, etc. weren't ones I could apply to anyway. I don't remember it being required on our general scholarship application.

Mine was pretty horrible despite pulling up my GPA by over a full point, so don't let it get you down.
I don't let it get me down usually, I just didn't want it printed for all to see! :hilarious:

In another rant, we got our ICVM pre-clinical assessment grades back today. I have to go back to NBC to pull back on a syringe for an IM injection, something I've easily done hundreds of times, but just forgot because of the exam setting (and my horse was flipping out). :yeahright:

I don't let it get me down usually, I just didn't want it printed for all to see! :hilarious:

In another rant, we got our ICVM pre-clinical assessment grades back today. I have to go back to NBC to pull back on a syringe for an IM injection, something I've easily done hundreds of times, but just forgot because of the exam setting (and my horse was flipping out). :yeahright:

Those tests are a sense of frustration for all. I had to retake it because I read the one value on the urine dipstick too early (leukocytes...like that reading is accurate anyway...) and something else that I forget. All I remember is that I messed it up slightly but heard of another student forgetting to do it entirely and still passing while I had to retake.

Those tests are a sense of frustration for all. I had to retake it because I read the one value on the urine dipstick too early (leukocytes...like that reading is accurate anyway...) and something else that I forget. All I remember is that I messed it up slightly but heard of another student forgetting to do it entirely and still passing while I had to retake.
This sounds exactly like what happens with our clinical skills exam every year. Do they threaten to kick you guys out if you take too many tries to pass the skill?

I think most of my class has to go back for one silly thing or another. So many have to go back to walk a horse in a circle in the stall. I think a lot of people read leukocytes too early too. I almost did that, but caught myself. It's definitely just frustrating.
This sounds exactly like what happens with our clinical skills exam every year. Do they threaten to kick you guys out if you take too many tries to pass the skill?
No, we just have to go back to the LA facility (which is over an hour from where we normally are) to remediate. My understanding is the remediation is them walking you through what you did wrong. So I have to drive an hour in the opposite direction of school, during finals, to pull back on a syringe. Others have to go back for things like PCV/TS, urine dip stick, haltering a cow or horse, etc.

I think most of my class has to go back for one silly thing or another. So many have to go back to walk a horse in a circle in the stall. I think a lot of people read leukocytes too early too. I almost did that, but caught myself. It's definitely just frustrating.

No, we just have to go back to the LA facility (which is over an hour from where we normally are) to remediate. My understanding is the remediation is them walking you through what you did wrong. So I have to drive an hour in the opposite direction of school, during finals, to pull back on a syringe. Others have to go back for things like PCV/TS, urine dip stick, haltering a cow or horse, etc.
Ugh that sucks that it's an hour away! Our building is on campus, but we get two tries to remediate (without a walkthrough during the attempt) or we're supposedly kicked out of the college. It's never happened before but it's what they tell us. People are still trying to remediate during finals here, too. I actually just finished my last remediation Tuesday thankfully.

lmao and the night gets better: just got a message from an anatomy lab instructor recommending I delete my complainy FB post about exams because two people in my class took it too far and starting naming professors and hurling insults

lmao and the night gets better: just got a message from an anatomy lab instructor recommending I delete my complainy FB post about exams because two people in my class took it too far and starting naming professors and hurling insults

You're kidding.

Bout to find and add you on FB

Reactions: 6 users
nope. he was like 'everything was fine until those two popped in and took it to a different level.' serves me right for opening up the floor I guess

bahaha too late the post is gone. but things do get exciting here and there

That's ridiculous to me. He should've messaged them about being appropriate.

That's ridiculous to me. He should've messaged them about being appropriate.
I mean there's a bit of history with the school and this sort of thing...remind me to tell you about it after exams haha.

Like most people around here, you can find her through me ;)
Real question-can you though? I keep trying to make myself unsearchable but I suppose that might not apply if you're searching through a mutual friend's friend list.

Real question-can you though? I keep trying to make myself unsearchable but I suppose that might not apply if you're searching through a mutual friend's friend list.

Shouldn't be able to see it even if mutual friends, depending on your FB settings. Only way to test would be to have someone that isn't a friend with you, but is with WZ, search WZ's friends for your name.

I don't know how that particular facebook privacy setting works actually :thinking: or...most of the privacy setting really...because I'm probably too unconcerned with such things
Off topic but your signature is seriously the best @WildZoo :laugh:

Well I think I remember your real name from something on the big prevet fb page, so I might not be the best one to test this

(Medical/ health rant that's not me seeking medical advice)
I love my nebulizer because it keeps me from having to go to the ER, but I hate how shaky and unfocused I get after it. Especially during finals week. Plus my heart rate spiked ~40 bpm. Eeegh. :(

Well I think I remember your real name from something on the big prevet fb page, so I might not be the best one to test this
Well let me know if ya find me! I'm not against anyone on here finding me or anything, but I do like to hide pretty much any bit of info about me from anyone perusing something I've commented on or whatever. I don't even like the idea of them seeing my picture but there's nothing I can do about that!

Well let me know if ya find me! I'm not against anyone on here finding me or anything, but I do like to hide pretty much any bit of info about me from anyone perusing something I've commented on or whatever. I don't even like the idea of them seeing my picture but there's nothing I can do about that!
Changing your pic to a cute corgi? :p

Reactions: 4 users
You popped up in my suggested friends last week :p