RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Class starts Monday and we still don't have our lab schedule/groups assigned (both VM1 and VM2 have everything they need...). Meanwhile, a bunch of us are trying to schedule flights for conferences that are happening in less than a month and we can't commit to anything before we know what we're potentially missing. Ugh this school.
I'm working with one of your classmates and she told me about how you guys don't have your schedules yet! That is absolutely crazy, I can't even imagine.

Members don't see this ad.

My dog is supposed to get neutered tomorrow, but this past weekend he was a little weird about stopping in the middle of walks to lay down. I chalked it up to being really hot and humid. On Monday we went to a friend's lake and he ran and swam all day and also did dumb things like jumping up on tables because he's a dope. That afternoon/evening he was super polyuric. Yesterday we went for a pretty normal 4 mile walk and he did okay but then in the evening started to be intermittently lame on his left pelvic limb. He's still polyuric too. So now I have a neuter appointment for him tomorrow and am concerned that he has some systemic disease. Sometimes I hate not being in practice where I can just deal with these things on my own.

I'm totally a super idiot when it comes to my own pets. My cat had a hair hanging out of her ass a month or so ago and I spent about 5 days freaking out about her possibly having a linear foreign body. I can't deal when it is my own cat.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm totally a super idiot when it comes to my own pets. My cat had a hair hanging out of her ass a month or so ago and I spent about 5 days freaking out about her possibly having a linear foreign body. I can't deal when it is my own cat.
I've done this too! Lol!

And when the kitten had a turd stuck on the hair and that stuck in her litter box and she was tethered and I didn't figure it out before she yanked and screamed and ran and hid... and all I could think was "I bet my hair just cut through her guts and she is now bleeding internally and no surgeon could put that all back together in time even if I could afford a Sunday evening emergency surgery and she's gonna die!" :nailbiting:

And I find her chewing on my hair brush a few minutes later, but she did give the litter box side eye before using it again.

:laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working with one of your classmates and she told me about how you guys don't have your schedules yet! That is absolutely crazy, I can't even imagine.
Still not quite as bad as the current fourth years not having their rotation schedules until like, the week before clinics started or something like that. It's beyond frustrating because our class has been put on the backburner from day 1.

Family just got home after being away for a week. First thing I hear when I come home from work: This house smells like animal pee and feet.

:yeahright:

I spent 5 hours cleaning last night. No one in my family cleans, ever, except for dishes. I don't know when the kitchen floor last saw a mop. I can count on one hand the times someone other than me cleaned a toilet in the 8 years we've lived here. The house is damn clean y'all, and I don't want your attitude.

Gah. Family. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Still not quite as bad as the current fourth years not having their rotation schedules until like, the week before clinics started or something like that. It's beyond frustrating because our class has been put on the backburner from day 1.

Every time something comes up, I automatically think it's wrong with your class just because of the history. You guys need some serious love overhaul.

My rant: In the span of half an hour, three different situations got screwed up because people can't communicate. We didn't get our table at the club fair and no one bothered to tell us until I rolled in to set up. My boss had to go give a tour because the girl showed up two and a half hours late and I'm not dressed/capable of giving a tour right now and the other guide was running her club's booth. And, finally, I call my mom and Grandma to check in on where they are in their drive. I anticipated they'd be about almost halfway cause they were supposed to leave at 6 at the latest. Nope. Didn't leave until after 8 and are less than 300 miles into the 1000 mile trip and won't get here till 1 or 2 am.

Like, come on, people. Every single person who screwed up the scheduling today had my phone number. They could've called or texted me to tell me there was a problem/change in plans. Had I known we wouldn't have our table at the club fair, I would've been able to schedule the tour for noon instead of 10:30 and not wasted my boss's time. And it would be nice to know the people coming to visit me that I made dinner plans with weren't actually going to be here for dinner.

I know in three hours it won't be as big of a deal. But in the moment, the lack of communication is just so frustrating. Especially since that's one of the things I'm trying to fix for this coming year.

Reactions: 1 user
Every time something comes up, I automatically think it's wrong with your class just because of the history. You guys need some serious love overhaul.

My rant: In the span of half an hour, three different situations got screwed up because people can't communicate. We didn't get our table at the club fair and no one bothered to tell us until I rolled in to set up. My boss had to go give a tour because the girl showed up two and a half hours late and I'm not dressed/capable of giving a tour right now and the other guide was running her club's booth. And, finally, I call my mom and Grandma to check in on where they are in their drive. I anticipated they'd be about almost halfway cause they were supposed to leave at 6 at the latest. Nope. Didn't leave until after 8 and are less than 300 miles into the 1000 mile trip and won't get here till 1 or 2 am.

Like, come on, people. Every single person who screwed up the scheduling today had my phone number. They could've called or texted me to tell me there was a problem/change in plans. Had I known we wouldn't have our table at the club fair, I would've been able to schedule the tour for noon instead of 10:30 and not wasted my boss's time. And it would be nice to know the people coming to visit me that I made dinner plans with weren't actually going to be here for dinner.

I know in three hours it won't be as big of a deal. But in the moment, the lack of communication is just so frustrating. Especially since that's one of the things I'm trying to fix for this coming year.
I think the administration is rubbing off on us....

Update: my dog had a mild hyponatremia and lack of stress leukogram despite being a spaz for the blood draw so we did a resting cortisol which was low-ish, then ACTH stim which was normal so now he's going to get snipped next Wednesday. I accused him of faking it to keep his balls for longer.

Update: my dog had a mild hyponatremia and lack of stress leukogram despite being a spaz for the blood draw so we did a resting cortisol which was low-ish, then ACTH stim which was normal so now he's going to get snipped next Wednesday. I accused him of faking it to keep his balls for longer.

He is a poster breed for that. Atypical?

He is a poster breed for that. Atypical?

Yeah, that's another reason I decided to go ahead with the testing despite the really mild and unconvincing results on the CBC/chem. His dam is clear for the juvenile Addison's mutation that is known in Tollers though his sire is a carrier (and there's another later onset form in the breed as well). I think he's probably not Addisonian given the normal stim but if he ever shows any other electrolyte imbalances or anything will follow up more. I think he's just being a polydipsic idiot for the time being.

Yeah, that's another reason I decided to go ahead with the testing despite the really mild and unconvincing results on the CBC/chem. His dam is clear for the juvenile Addison's mutation that is known in Tollers though his sire is a carrier (and there's another later onset form in the breed as well). I think he's probably not Addisonian given the normal stim but if he ever shows any other electrolyte imbalances or anything will follow up more. I think he's just being a polydipsic idiot for the time being.

Just for funsies?

Hey everyone. Still alive. Made it through the first week of vet school with flying body parts colors.

If any of you have thoughts, prayers, or anything else to offer to Texas right now we'd really appreciate them. Hurricane Harvey is fixing to made landfall right in my family's neck of the woods and there are a lot of people important to me who either weren't allowed to evacuate or weren't able to. It's killing me that I am so far away. It's now officially a Category 4, the strongest storm to hit my area since the 1960s, predicted to bring devastating storm surges, rains, tornadoes, and winds.

These are my friends. These are my family members. This is my city. I am not sure how many of them and how much of it I am going to be able to come home to this Thanksgiving.

Please keep our safety in your thoughts.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. Still alive. Made it through the first week of vet school with flying body parts colors.

If any of you have thoughts, prayers, or anything else to offer to Texas right now we'd really appreciate them. Hurricane Harvey is fixing to made landfall right in my family's neck of the woods and there are a lot of people important to me who either weren't allowed to evacuate or weren't able to. It's killing me that I am so far away. It's now officially a Category 4, the strongest storm to hit my area since the 1960s, predicted to bring devastating storm surges, rains, tornadoes, and winds.

These are my friends. These are my family members. This is my city. I am not sure how many of them and how much of it I am going to be able to come home to this Thanksgiving.

I can't imagine what you are going through (especially being so far away), but your family and friends are in my thoughts. Hoping they come of out of this safely. <3

Hugs, VMH<3<3<3<3
Your friends and family are in my thoughts<3

And I'm glad to hear you made it through your first week of vet school

Praying for your friends and family, vmh!

Sending many good thoughts to you, and to your family, friends, pets, animals, and everyone else that might be in harm's way in Texas.

Hope everyone stays safe and secure!

My face is tingling, my head is pounding, breathing is interesting..... my left side is weak. I really hope I get answers tomorrow because I'm not sure I can do this much longer.
Hope you're feeling better! :cat:

Are you?

Feel free to PM.

Sending hugs to Filly Bay, and to everyone dealing with (or who has loved ones in) the path of Harvey. :(

My comparably small rant: We have a vet assistant student with us right now. She's less than useless. Useless would at least stand there and not talk. She's actively annoying. Don't touch my ****ing patient. Don't. Stand there, observe, don't talk. When I'm done with said patient, you can ask me questions. And maybe I might let you touch said patient if you ask me first.

I'm a fellow Texan. You have my prayers.

I assisted in four surgeries yesterday. My grandmother made a 4-hour automobile long to film me in action. The first procedure was a tumor removal. As soon as the vet made the incision, my poor grandma passed out (Which was most unexpected since she's a retired biology teacher)! A few seconds later, she woke up. She said that she didn't eat that much. I was planning on leaving the O.R. to take care of her. However, she told me that I should stop worrying about her and that the patient was the priority. The staff took really good care of her while the vet and I were doing the procedure (all of them were a total success, thank God). Grandma is doing just fine.

It showed me that I could assist in surgeries under stressful situations. This is a good thing, because if I do become a vet, then I'm willing to bet this won't be the only time somebody faints in the OR!

Last edited:
Mini-rant of frustration at myself....

Last night I said to myself, "tomorrow is going to be a long day, I should go to bed early," and I did exactly that. Then I fell asleep right away. My brain decided at 2:30 this morning that we were done sleeping. It is, indeed, going to be a LOOOONG day! *sigh*

This is a good thing, because if I do become a vet, then I'm willing to bet this won't be the only time somebody faints in the OR!
It won't be.
Plenty of human medical students also pass out in the OR!
faint.gif

[Great story - thanks for sharing your experience and your grandma's syncope.]

Mini-rant of frustration at myself....

Last night I said to myself, "tomorrow is going to be a long day, I should go to bed early," and I did exactly that. Then I fell asleep right away. My brain decided at 2:30 this morning that we were done sleeping. It is, indeed, going to be a LOOOONG day! *sigh*

This happened to me plenty of times. Finally someone my frustations!

It won't be.
Plenty of human medical students also pass out in the OR! View attachment 223040

[Great story - thanks for sharing your experience and your grandma's syncope.]

Do vet students pass out during the cadaver labs?

I know a few who passed out during surgery lab. Not so much in anatomy, though there were plenty of times someone had to go out for a little fresh air.

I see

I was asking because I heard that med students passing out during anatomy labs is quite common.

I pass out in the doctor's office all the time from drinking booze to forget all the crappy clients that are out there.

But never in surgery. The music in our operatory is far too good for that.

Reactions: 9 users
Mixed wayyy too many types of alcohol last night. Don't feel as crappy as I should, but 99.9% sure I left my debit card at the bank. Feeling really lazy and don't want to get it, so I may just cancel it and get a new one tomorrow.

We have to wait 1.5 years for more Game of Thrones :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 4 users
We have to wait 1.5 years for more Game of Thrones :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

That finale though! I think I was making this :eek: face for the entire final 15 minutes.

Now to get to bed because I start the day shift on ER at 6am tomorrow. Boooo.

NOOOOOOO REALLY?!?!

In my own personal rant, was up literally all night last night because my dog likely has kennel cough. Started coughing late last night (midnight) and got progressively worse to the point that he'd cough so hard he'd throw up a little bit of stomach fluid. Poor guy, but finally broke down and brought him in to the ER vet (mostly because I wasn't sleeping anyway and our vet isn't open until Monday). I probably could have just called in a prescription of antibiotics to a 24 hour pharmacy, but in the sleep-deprived state I was in I had convinced myself that he had a foreign body stuck in his trachea.

Anywho - that's 2 ER vet visits for my dog in the past 2 months of living here. Good times. Also I swapped out watching him with my husband after he woke up (because surprisingly the trip to the ER did not make him miraculously stop coughing and I was nice enough to sequester us both in the basement so the hubs could sleep) I ended up sleeping until 3pm. There went my Sunday.

Finally, back to work tomorrow but both my faculty mentor vet and my resident-mates are all on vacation this coming week and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit scared.

In my own personal rant, was up literally all night last night because my dog likely has kennel cough. Started coughing late last night (midnight) and got progressively worse to the point that he'd cough so hard he'd throw up a little bit of stomach fluid. Poor guy, but finally broke down and brought him in to the ER vet (mostly because I wasn't sleeping anyway and our vet isn't open until Monday). I probably could have just called in a prescription of antibiotics to a 24 hour pharmacy, but in the sleep-deprived state I was in I had convinced myself that he had a foreign body stuck in his trachea.

Anywho - that's 2 ER vet visits for my dog in the past 2 months of living here. Good times. Also I swapped out watching him with my husband after he woke up (because surprisingly the trip to the ER did not make him miraculously stop coughing and I was nice enough to sequester us both in the basement so the hubs could sleep) I ended up sleeping until 3pm. There went my Sunday.

Finally, back to work tomorrow but both my faculty mentor vet and my resident-mates are all on vacation this coming week and I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit scared.
Sorry your dog is feeling poorly - hope he begins to feel better! :(

Give yer poor dog some hydrocodone at night so everyone can rest, ya big goon.

You'll be fine without peeps. Yer super smart.

Adding 25 students to the class of 2021 but not adding any additional parking spots when the lot was already full.... smart move admin.

Unpopular opinion but I seriously hate my school sometimes.

Reactions: 4 users
Adding 25 students to the class of 2021 but not adding any additional parking spots when the lot was already full.... smart move admin.

Parking is my least favorite thing about working on campus.

My school's transportation dept. decreased the cheapest lot's size by about a third so they could sell those spots for $100 more, but the other cheap lot is on the other end of campus, so everyone is still trying to park here and there's no room. Meanwhile, the more expensive spots are always half empty because no one wants the pay that for a ****ty out of the way lot. I don't think they're making any extra money with this move. They've just made people angry.

Good news is that it is always that way at the beginning of school, then gets better as people stop coming to class. haha

Ugh. I agree. Parking really freaking sucks. I'd apologize but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been accepted if it weren't for the extra 25. So I'm appreciative but parking really sucks.

Ugh. I agree. Parking really freaking sucks. I'd apologize but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been accepted if it weren't for the extra 25. So I'm appreciative but parking really sucks.
My first year I ended up parking over in the Walnut lot off Hall of Fame and walked that hike down by the field. But as I said, it does die down usually as the first weeks go by.

Try my school, where they built an on-campus stadium, made it so all parking passes don't count in certain lots on game days (so you'll get a ticket for parking in a lot you paid for a pass for), and they built the stadium on top of one of the biggest commuter lots on campus.

Not to mention, most of the lots for the teaching hospital are set aside as game day lots. So basically the people who are there to practice medicine to keep things alive can't park in the place they need to be to practice medicine to keep things alive because football is more important.

It's just bafflingly funny all the way down.

Man, PetMD has officially gone full blown "green"-suburban-soccer-mom pandering, advising people to use coconut oil and olive oil to treat ear infections and use "nature-based" treatments for fleas and ticks, like apple cider vinegar and fennel leaves, instead of "pricey medications" that can have "toxic effects." Excellent marketing strategy, but come on.

Man, PetMD has officially gone full blown "green"-suburban-soccer-mom pandering, advising people to use coconut oil and olive oil to treat ear infections and use "nature-based" treatments for fleas and ticks, like apple cider vinegar and fennel leaves, instead of "pricey medications" that can have "toxic effects." Excellent marketing strategy, but come on.
I think the eclipse and all the ridiculous misconceptions about it show how far humans still have to go in logical understanding of the world around them.

Good news is that it is always that way at the beginning of school, then gets better as people stop coming to class. haha

Ha. So much universal truth in that.

I feel like every class seeks out reasons to grump about their school's administration to some degree. I don't even remember what my class' gripes were now, although we were pretty mellow compared to the year ahead of us.

Try my school, where they built an on-campus stadium, made it so all parking passes don't count in certain lots on game days (so you'll get a ticket for parking in a lot you paid for a pass for), and they built the stadium on top of one of the biggest commuter lots on campus.

Not to mention, most of the lots for the teaching hospital are set aside as game day lots. So basically the people who are there to practice medicine to keep things alive can't park in the place they need to be to practice medicine to keep things alive because football is more important.

It's just bafflingly funny all the way down.

Our school had a race of some sort (I forget now... maybe a marathon, maybe something else) and they blocked off the ONLY ROAD LEADING TO THE HOSPITAL. You know, the hospital with an ER service where people rush their animals.

In their defense, they were allowing cars through for that purpose, but still - imaging you're rushing your animal to the hospital and you come up to a race barricade, etc.

I thought that was incredibly poor planning, race route-wise.