RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Adding 25 students to the class of 2021 but not adding any additional parking spots when the lot was already full.... smart move admin.

Unpopular opinion but I seriously hate my school sometimes.
My school tried to add 50 students to our c/o 2020 :rofl:Although they're still saying it was an "unprecedented acceptance of admission invitations"

Edit:
Our school had a race of some sort (I forget now... maybe a marathon, maybe something else) and they blocked off the ONLY ROAD LEADING TO THE HOSPITAL. You know, the hospital with an ER service where people rush their animals.

In their defense, they were allowing cars through for that purpose, but still - imaging you're rushing your animal to the hospital and you come up to a race barricade, etc.

I thought that was incredibly poor planning, race route-wise.
I think this happens to us once a year too. I've never had an issue, but the on-call students for surgery, radiology, etc. complain that they have to find parking x amount of blocks away on that weekend when they have to respond in a certain period of time. I imagine clients have problems too, especially if you're pulling a trailer all over campus trying to find a way in.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, PetMD has officially gone full blown "green"-suburban-soccer-mom pandering, advising people to use coconut oil and olive oil to treat ear infections and use "nature-based" treatments for fleas and ticks, like apple cider vinegar and fennel leaves, instead of "pricey medications" that can have "toxic effects." Excellent marketing strategy, but come on.

They have? Wow. I haven't looked at PetMD in years, but my recollection was it wasn't a *horrible* website with generally reasonable "go see your vet" kind of advice. That's too bad.

Ah well. Just one more crappy place for advice on top of the millions of other websites out there.

I think the eclipse and all the ridiculous misconceptions about it show how far humans still have to go in logical understanding of the world around them.

For sure. It's just a little bit worse when it's a site that started out by branding itself as "vet authored, vet approved." Having a random person spout nonsense is bad enough, but when you're publishing questionable medical advice on a site where you're also publishing pieces by DVMs speaking authoritatively, that's more harmful than your drunk Aunt Linda going on about how goji berries totally brought down her cholesterol and how rubbing paprika on her cat cured its asthma.

It's still not quite as bad as the folly that is the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons. If you're ever in the mood to go down a rabbit hole of "trying to sound legitimate despite no scientific basis" crazy, go check out their greatest hits. My favorite is their claim that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, though their underlying "science based medicine = authoritarianism" argument is hard to top.

They have? Wow. I haven't looked at PetMD in years, but my recollection was it wasn't a *horrible* website with generally reasonable "go see your vet" kind of advice. That's too bad.

Ah well. Just one more crappy place for advice on top of the millions of other websites out there.

The articles that Facebook's algorithm keeps showing me are along those lines (why on earth it does this, I don't know), but if you go to their home page, there's other content mixed in. Even a few months ago, I was still seeing the older style of short articles that were sensible enough and written by actual doctors. Then it morphed into really terrible click-bait headlines, like "Are heartworm preventatives safe for your pet?" kind of crap that always suggests the answer is "no" even if the article argues the opposite because that's how people interpret it. Now they're moving on to articles about all of these natural alternatives which quote advice from holistic vets and chiropractors who say they never advise the use of chemicals on pets. Though sometimes it just says "some people say X works" or it'll throw in a line about how some vets disagree, but they leave it at that. Well, I'm sure that little disclaimer will undo the damage of telling people that this other doctor totally recommends using lemongrass oil on collars to prevent flea infestations.

Members don't see this ad :)
For sure. It's just a little bit worse when it's a site that started out by branding itself as "vet authored, vet approved." Having a random person spout nonsense is bad enough, but when you're publishing questionable medical advice on a site where you're also publishing pieces by DVMs speaking authoritatively, that's more harmful than your drunk Aunt Linda going on about how goji berries totally brought down her cholesterol and how rubbing paprika on her cat cured its asthma.

It's still not quite as bad as the folly that is the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons. If you're ever in the mood to go down a rabbit hole of "trying to sound legitimate despite no scientific basis" crazy, go check out their greatest hits. My favorite is their claim that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, though their underlying "science based medicine = authoritarianism" argument is hard to top.

The articles that Facebook's algorithm keeps showing me are along those lines (why on earth it does this, I don't know), but if you go to their home page, there's other content mixed in. Even a few months ago, I was still seeing the older style of short articles that were sensible enough and written by actual doctors. Then it morphed into really terrible click-bait headlines, like "Are heartworm preventatives safe for your pet?" kind of crap that always suggests the answer is "no" even if the article argues the opposite because that's how people interpret it. Now they're moving on to articles about all of these natural alternatives which quote advice from holistic vets and chiropractors who say they never advise the use of chemicals on pets. Though sometimes it just says "some people say X works" or it'll throw in a line about how some vets disagree, but they leave it at that. Well, I'm sure that little disclaimer will undo the damage of telling people that this other doctor totally recommends using lemongrass oil on collars to prevent flea infestations.
I think most the legitimate scientists of the world are experiencing extreme fatigue, so the pseudos and fakers are replicating rapidly with less stamping out too. Utopia is being blueprinted somewhere, I guarantee it. haha

Reactions: 1 user

More click bait value if it suggests a cheaper alternative to that damn greedy vet, or if it hints at some sort of (gasp) collusion among vets to spread poison to your pets!

Way more likely to get clicks than boring old accurate info from (gasp again) people who actually know something about medicine.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me for PetMD to have gone that route. All about the moniez. So ironic, since that's what people accuse us of. And I love how half the websites out there touting some "natural" alternative to that expensive pet visit also happen to have their own product to sell.... hmmmmm..... And yet people are entirely unable to see through that obvious nonsense.

I think most the legitimate scientists of the world are experiencing extreme fatigue,

I know I sure as hell am (if you consider clinical vets legitimate scientists, anyway). I'm about ready to sign off the Internet, bury my head, and just do my job without looking much around me.

I'm also rigggght on the edge of suspending any and all of my charitable/volunteer work. It's incredibly demoralizing to do those things and then have to listen to all the crap. I mean, I literally do one full extra day of work a month - for free - and then have to come home and read about how vets are ripping people off and only in it for the money and won't help out and blah blah blah? How many of those idiots griping about that go to THEIR occupation a full extra day/month entirely free of charge? Right about .... 0.01%? Probably less. Screw 'em. No sense being altruistic AND getting beat up day in and day out. Sorry, my love of animals just isn't enough for that. I help plenty of animals and owners in my job. I don't need to suffer for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I know I sure as hell am (if you consider clinical vets legitimate scientists, anyway).

Yes, many vets are legitimate scientists. Like every profession, there are posers who got the degree, but don't carry through with the science, but most of us are true. haha

Adding 25 students to the class of 2021 but not adding any additional parking spots when the lot was already full.... smart move admin.

Unpopular opinion but I seriously hate my school sometimes.
Parking seems to be a ****ty situation almost everywhere
But hey I'm getting my steps in this year because of it...

Try my school, where they built an on-campus stadium, made it so all parking passes don't count in certain lots on game days (so you'll get a ticket for parking in a lot you paid for a pass for), and they built the stadium on top of one of the biggest commuter lots on campus.

Not to mention, most of the lots for the teaching hospital are set aside as game day lots. So basically the people who are there to practice medicine to keep things alive can't park in the place they need to be to practice medicine to keep things alive because football is more important.

It's just bafflingly funny all the way down.
Very, very similar situation here, except for the stadium being built on a lot (as far as I know). The main ag campus lot is reserved for tailgating, as is a portion of the vet school lot.

Man, PetMD has officially gone full blown "green"-suburban-soccer-mom pandering, advising people to use coconut oil and olive oil to treat ear infections and use "nature-based" treatments for fleas and ticks, like apple cider vinegar and fennel leaves, instead of "pricey medications" that can have "toxic effects." Excellent marketing strategy, but come on.
I heard bathing a dog with a combination of motor oil and antifreeze cures a dog of parvo or was it fleas. He seemed to be cold at first and wouldn't stop shaking but he's sleeping very peacefully now! Anything I can do to keep the money grubbing vets from stealing MY money!!!

Try my school, where they built an on-campus stadium, made it so all parking passes don't count in certain lots on game days (so you'll get a ticket for parking in a lot you paid for a pass for), and they built the stadium on top of one of the biggest commuter lots on campus.

Not to mention, most of the lots for the teaching hospital are set aside as game day lots. So basically the people who are there to practice medicine to keep things alive can't park in the place they need to be to practice medicine to keep things alive because football is more important.

It's just bafflingly funny all the way down.
That really sucks. :( They use our vet school lots for game day parking too, but they reserve certain spots for clinicians, students and clients, and they don't have to pay to park. My only gripe is that they make the first years work the parking lots (selling spots, patrolling the lots, cleaning up after the game, etc.) as the class fundraiser. It's not the worst thing in the world, and the money will go to things like our graduation banquet, NAVLE fees, etc., but it was kind of annoying to have to give up a couple hours on a Saturday for it.

If it makes anyone feel any better at all...human docs get the same kind of c***: O, just rub essential oil on your body, and you will be cured of breast cancer!! ticks me off, big time. especially in public, when they feel free to just come talk to me about it...and want to make me feel bad for not trying "natural" stuff first. Instead of, ya know, the stuff that is proven to work? Like surgery and chemo????

If it makes anyone feel any better at all...human docs get the same kind of c***: O, just rub essential oil on your body, and you will be cured of breast cancer!! ticks me off, big time. especially in public, when they feel free to just come talk to me about it...and want to make me feel bad for not trying "natural" stuff first. Instead of, ya know, the stuff that is proven to work? Like surgery and chemo????
And sometimes the stuff they try is actually harmful. Saw a pet not once but twice because it's owner put undiluted essential oils on its skin. Apparently I was not clear enough the first time about what caused the chemical burns. It's natural plant extract! How can that hurt?

Houstonian here, hard to be away at college when my parents are there!

Members don't see this ad :)
And sometimes the stuff they try is actually harmful. Saw a pet not once but twice because it's owner put undiluted essential oils on its skin. Apparently I was not clear enough the first time about what caused the chemical burns. It's natural plant extract! How can that hurt?

Ever want to tell them...here rub it all over your skin, let's just see how that feels???

Weirdo that I am, I don't put anything on my chinese crested I don't try on me first. and read the label, as he is sensitive to lanolin. and then usually a test dose. :)

Polo, I hope that your family is all ok, high and dry and safe.

Lesson learned-don't leave an honest review about the not so good experience you had with your Air bnb trip, because the host will send you expletive filled texts and harass you about it.

Lesson learned-don't leave an honest review about the not so good experience you had with your Air bnb trip, because the host will send you expletive filled texts and harass you about it.
I'd show air Bnb. Screenshot the texts and everything. No one should have to deal with that and they shouldn't be hosting if that's how they respond to negative feedback

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Fail on my part. So my parents have raised me super independent, I hardly ever check in with anyone that I made it safe somewhere and I am a certified butt kicker. So I have been shadowing the vet at the state fair so we go to the rodeos and get out super late. I park like 2 blocks away at my boyfriend's house. He asks me to text him and let him know I made it to my car just fine since it's so late and there are sketchy people out that late. That's the one thing he asks of me and I have failed to do so 2/3 times... He called me last night to make sure I made it ok because I forgot to text him. Super great and caring of him, but I feel like crap because I can't remember to send him one simple text when I get to my car.... Needless to say I bought him 2 of his favorite drinks today as an "I'm sorry I suck as a person and can't text because apparently I have the memory of a goldfish." Still feel like crap about it all :/ Good news is that today was the last day of fair and there's no rodeo tonight so there's that.

I'd show air Bnb. Screenshot the texts and everything. No one should have to deal with that and they shouldn't be hosting if that's how they respond to negative feedback

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
On it. Now this is becoming stressful because he's retaliating by requesting money from me through Air bnb (the oven broke a week into my stay, he acknowledged that it wasn't my fault, but now he's trying to get money for it).

On it. Now this is becoming stressful because he's retaliating by requesting money from me through Air bnb (the oven broke a week into my stay, he acknowledged that it wasn't my fault, but now he's trying to get money for it).
That's really frustrating. :(

That's really frustrating. :(
I just don't really understand why everything goes wrong for me :shrug:

I ended up reporting him for extortion and harassment. Before I stayed, he offered me a discount in exchange for a good review. At the time, I didn't know it was a huge deal in the Air Bnb world, but since reporting that, my case has been escalated to a case manager. We'll see how it goes. As much as I'd like a partial refund for a lack of promised amenities, I'm fine with him not getting any more money from me and I get to move on.

Reactions: 4 users
Having an illness during clinics = the worst :(

I ended up reporting him for extortion and harassment. Before I stayed, he offered me a discount in exchange for a good review. At the time, I didn't know it was a huge deal in the Air Bnb world, but since reporting that, my case has been escalated to a case manager. We'll see how it goes. As much as I'd like a partial refund for a lack of promised amenities, I'm fine with him not getting any more money from me and I get to move on.
Update to my life being a sh*tshow: woke up to one of my cats playing with a d-CON trap. apparently my new apartment has a mouse problem, because I found the evidence behind the washer/dryer.

RANT: Okay, just graduated vet school, and I am COMPLETELY miserable.

1) I have spent the last 4 years of my life pushing myself to do really well, to be the best that I can be, only to be average on scores. When I say push, I mean on the last final exam of 3rd year before clinics, I am the last person in the library reading through as much LA medicine as POSSIBLE because I still care! ...while EVERYONE else is in the lobby chatting it up, in I-do-not-care-land. Yet, I am not able to keep my A/B+ range that I had earned. Clinics did not go much better. All I did was try to strike that delicate balance of be prepared for your cases while have a bunch of cases while trying to still sleep enough so I could pass as a normal-ish human being (HINT: not really possible with a serious case load).

Summary: I became that person they worn about at the beginning of vet school, the person who cares so much that they become completely miserable holding themselves up to some impossible expectation. Okay, well for some people that expectation comes so easily, they are just so impossibly smart. No amount of studying could consistently make me lead the class on exams.

2) The "virmp" (aka "the match") was a nightmare. I spent 5 weeks at a practice that I ended up getting really good feedback on, that every year before me preferentially selects students from my school. Alas, NO, I did not match there. That painful surprise of "OH-no...-that-does-not-say-____" at 5am in the morning was excruciating. Then I find myself at my #2, which I had not had a chance to visit in person. I ranked them #2 because of the match description, but when I arrive, it is a VERY DIFFERENT program. Other places I had visited but ranked lower would have been much better for me, but that is 20/20 hindsight now (MATCH = BUYER BE WHERE). This practice is so unpalatable, that there were 12 interns/residents last year, but only 5 finished the year (it was highly unlikely that everyone left for "personal" reasons). I decide to cut my losses after finding myself at a very poorly managed practice, and move back PDX where my husband is.

3) I have multiple offers from practices before I move back, and I am thrilled. The practice that IS THE RIGHT FIT is too far away (2 hr drive) from where I live, and my husband is not supportive of more long distance, even if it is only part time (like in school). I kills me turning down the offer. Then I accept a position at a practice in the area, which sounds decent, but is low cost (I can work with that). Alas, I get there and the owner is very nice, but the medicine is like "trump's presidency" ... there is just so much wrong (borderline choking patients, patients waking up while having a mass excision during sedation and then being forcibly restrained through the rest, extreme examples of non-aspetic technique, far out dated medicine galore, mystery drugs from mexico, and etc.) that you cannot remember all the things that upset you and that you disagree with. Now I feel like I HAVE to work at a place that has very little overlap in medical ideology. I literally woke up this morning at 4:30am, and tried to do something productive... instead I just end up crying on the couch, hating the idea of having to go back to a job where I feel like the way the animals are handled borders on animal-abuse.

I do not want to become one of those whiny it-never-works-out-for-me people, but I feel like I am lost and alone in this profession. Honestly, I would NEVER consider suicide, but there gets to be a point where you just do not feel like you have any more will power, you just do not want to keep trying. I feel dead on the inside and I just do not want to be a veterinarian anymore. I just want to be happy again.

NOTE: I am very sorry if offended any Trump enthusiasts, that is not my goal. I am just trying to relay my frustration using a description that clearly comes from a left-ist perspective.

Update to my life being a sh*tshow: woke up to one of my cats playing with a d-CON trap. apparently my new apartment has a mouse problem, because I found the evidence behind the washer/dryer.
Bet your cats will be conducting regular mouse patrols from now on.

I do not want to become one of those whiny it-never-works-out-for-me people, but I feel like I am lost and alone in this profession. Honestly, I would NEVER consider suicide, but there gets to be a point where you just do not feel like you have any more will power, you just do not want to keep trying. I feel dead on the inside and I just do not want to be a veterinarian anymore. I just want to be happy again.

What you describe at your current place is NOT okay, and you should not have to go through that (nor should the animals). Start forming your exit plan. And please, visit these places and spend time there before accepting an offer.

Feel free to PM me if you need to vent. We've all had our struggles, each different but still similar. We're here for you.

I feel dead on the inside and I just do not want to be a veterinarian anymore. I just want to be happy again.
Interviews are not just for the new employer to check you out, they're your chance to figure out if you like the place too. Talk to people at all levels; techs and receptionists will sometimes reveal surprising things if you ask the non-judgmental questions.

As a fellow new grad, I sympathize with the drive to find that perfect fit right out of school. It took me six months of interviews to get me to the right spot, and my husband and I fought about it a lot because the pressure I put on myself was probably too much, in retrospect. I quit my first job within a week. You can PM me if you want to talk. Sorry you're going through a rough patch.

I had a devastating stress dream last night where after getting lost and arriving at the test center 2 hours late and missing 310 out of 360 questions, I horribly failed the NAVLE... (and then as punishment I was put into an equine surgery elective for 6 weeks??? :eek:)

~90 days to go and the nightmares have already begun...:oops:

Reactions: 3 users
Just found out my veterinary mentor died. Apparantly he was diagnosed with ALS last year but kept it from most people...he was a crucial part in my decision to go to vet school and even wrote my LoR when applying. I haven't spoken to him in some time but at the moment I'm just in shock.

That really should have been a HUGE red flag.

That really should have been a HUGE red flag.
Yeah...I take responsibility for not really knowing the ins and outs of Air Bnb and all of the policies. It was more of a "here, I'll waive this charge, just make sure to write me a good review." At the time, I was like 'Oh he probably just wants to make sure I actually write a review for him,' extortion didn't even cross my mind.

I wanted to cancel after the oven died and he was planning on just leaving me hanging (the place had no microwave or anything), but when I talked to Air Bnb, the rep basically said "Well we can review your request for a refund, but without proof you didn't break it..." I didn't want to give this guy my money just to leave and pay for another place if Air Bnb didn't side with me. I also didn't want to make waves when I'm 10 hours away from family/friends in this guys basement apartment. Based on how he reacted to a 3 star review, I'm glad I didn't try anything while I was still there.

Also, just stumbled upon the video a Maryland vet posted about how she thinks ER clinics are robbing people of money and how she can do the same surgery for cheap. It's circulating on FB.

Well okay, I have a feeling you don't have an ultrasound, EKG, multiple techs, etc but whatever. Also, how sad that she's perpetuating this stigma against vets in general.

Also, just stumbled upon the video a Maryland vet posted about how she thinks ER clinics are robbing people of money and how she can do the same surgery for cheap. It's circulating on FB.

Well okay, I have a feeling you don't have an ultrasound, EKG, multiple techs, etc but whatever. Also, how sad that she's perpetuating this stigma against vets in general.
Saw that today too, posted by a friend. I've never seen a pyo surgery done for under 2k let alone $900. Her patients have to be receiving a lower standard of care AND if every vet just negotiated price, and treated patients that owners couldn't afford, we'd all be out of business. The whole "transparency" thing she's asking for? Hard to determine when you are just talking about price, and not comparing how the procedure is done. Sure vets should discuss options too, but how does she know what really happened during the discussion between the client and the other vet? I've seen clients totally misinterpret doctors.

Tldr - pissed me off too.

Saw that today too, posted by a friend. I've never seen a pyo surgery done for under 2k let alone $900. Her patients have to be receiving a lower standard of care AND if every vet just negotiated price, and treated patients that owners couldn't afford, we'd all be out of business. The whole "transparency" thing she's asking for? Hard to determine when you are just talking about price, and not comparing how the procedure is done. Sure vets should discuss options too, but how does she know what really happened during the discussion between the client and the other vet? I've seen clients totally misinterpret doctors.

Tldr - pissed me off too.
The 'standard of care' thing is hard to explain to clients in my neck of the woods. My last clinic job was always competing with the clinic down the road. Really subpar care there. Never placed a catheter, no anesthetic monitoring, etc. Maybe a step or two above Dr. Pol level. People didn't always understand the value of venous access or having a tech monitor. "Well if the doctor is there, why do you need the tech?" That kind of stuff.

I almost think her video is just a PR stunt. If you're a vet, I find it hard to believe that you don't know why an ER charges what it does/the difference between $3000 and $900 when you're in the same area serving the same clientele.

Also, one of the comments on that video mentions how she felt she was extorted by an ER when her dachshund needed emergency spinal surgery ($3200). I was so tempted to be like 'Wow, that's a deal. My school charges at least $5000.'

Last edited:
She doubled down today with another video, apparently. I didn't watch it. I sincerely doubt I'd agree with what was in it and I don't want to be angry, so I'll just ignore it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
She doubled down today with another video, apparently. I didn't watch it. I sincerely doubt I'd agree with what was in it and I don't want to be angry, so I'll just ignore it.
Same. Would love for her to look at said emergency hospitals costs of operating bills. :poke:

I saw maybe 20ish seconds of the first one and rage stopped watching. Decided definitely not watching the second.

I had a devastating stress dream last night where after getting lost and arriving at the test center 2 hours late and missing 310 out of 360 questions, I horribly failed the NAVLE... (and then as punishment I was put into an equine surgery elective for 6 weeks??? :eek:)

~90 days to go and the nightmares have already begun...:oops:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I kind of want to see this madness. If anyone is up for it, you can PM me a link.

And I almost crashed my car today. Had an IUD placed today (sorry if tmi) which hurt like a mofo which I was warned about. After it I was feeling a little warm so I went outside and got in my car without thinking too much about it. Then I started getting cold sweats/clammy and felt nauseous. Next thing I know I must have passed out as my car was on the shoulder and I somehow managed to not hit anything. Definitely a horrifying moment.

As a fellow new grad, I sympathize with the drive to find that perfect fit right out of school. I

I'm only two years out and changing jobs for the first time soon (and many classmates left their first places of employment earlier on) but I'd venture to say that we don't always know exactly what we want right out of school. We're still very much in the ivory tower mindset. While I don't think anyone should settle on an obviously poor fit, I think having unrealistic expectations is also not good. Over time you'll come to realize that there are certain things you feel very strongly about, either medicine-wise or personnel-wise, and once you know what those things are, it makes it a lot easier to wade through job postings and interviews and find a place that you can really thrive.