RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All this pizza talk has made me really want pizza...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sorry I have better etiquette than you do.
Is it really good etiquette to eat a food item improperly just because of where you are? Fancy restaurants serve lots of finger foods and other items that are meant to be eaten with your hands and pizza is one of them. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate is making pizza in the other room and I'm dying a little knowing I can't have some lol

I actually have a pizza kit in the freezer (for the newbies, my family in PA own's a pizza place) but I haven't defrosted it. I could make a lame one out of tortilla, sauce, cheese and pepperoni but nearly as good. Also, just recently started tracking my macros and pizza doesn't quite fit...

I actually have a pizza kit in the freezer (for the newbies, my family in PA own's a pizza place) but I haven't defrosted it. I could make a lame one out of tortilla, sauce, cheese and pepperoni but nearly as good. Also, just recently started tracking my macros and pizza doesn't quite fit...
sounds like a weird open faced quesadilla. Don't sully the name of pizza with that. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why was she not going to give you any pizza
I've managed to snipe bits of her dinners almost every time she makes them for over a year now. As much as I appreciate that her food helps keep me alive, I can't help but feel that she didn't sign up to live with the human version of a particularly persistent seagull.

Reactions: 6 users
I've managed to snipe bits of her dinners almost every time she makes them for over a year now. As much as I appreciate that her food helps keep me alive, I can't help but feel that she didn't sign up to live with the human version of a particularly persistent seagull.
Well she has stuck with you this far, so she must not mind the seagull too much?

1. Hot chocolate belongs in a mug. A clear glass mug like @StayingPositive2017 posted is acceptable, but it needs a handle or it's gonna be too hot to hold.
2. Hot dogs are NOT sandwiches. But they require ketchup.
3. Pineapple on pizza is groce.
4. The only time it's acceptable to eat pizza with a fork is if it's super deep dish Chicago style and you're gonna make a huge mess if you try to pick that s*** up.
5. I've never heard of Detroit style pizza before, but it sounds weird. Sauce is the best part of pizza, why would you not want it on the whole thing??
6. I should really be studying right now...

1. Hot chocolate belongs in a mug. A clear glass mug like @StayingPositive2017 posted is acceptable, but it needs a handle or it's gonna be too hot to hold.
4. The only time it's acceptable to eat pizza with a fork is if it's super deep dish Chicago style and you're gonna make a huge mess if you try to pick that s*** up.
5. I've never heard of Detroit style pizza before, but it sounds weird. Sauce is the best part of pizza, why would you not want it on the whole thing??
a) I had no clean mugs (my new one was in the dishwasher :()
b) If you don't make your hot chocolate boiling hot and you make it drinkable it's fine with no handle ;)
2. Hot dogs are not sandwiches and require ketchup, but I still will not eat them.
3. Pineapple in general is groce but is especially groce on pizza
4. No comment
5. It's great af and has great crust and you must try at some point in your life. There are different types of Detroit style pizza but the true Detroit pizza has the sauce in lines, but jets deep dish pizza is like semi-Detroit style (but like, the fast food version) but still has hella good crust.
6. Studying is overrated but good luck on your exams

Half of these answers are incorrect. I'm letting you keep your pizza license but you'd better watch it :bored:

1. Agreed. 100%, hot chocolate belongs in a mug.
2. Hot dogs are sandwiches. As are ice cream sandwiches.
3. Agreed. Pineapple is groce in general. More so on a pizza
4. Agreed again. Except sometimes when I re-heat pizza I make it too hot to handle at first, but I can't wait to eat, so I fork it until it is cooler.
5. Never heard of that.
6. I should say I never study but that is a lie, I have been looking up cystotomy surgeries tonight because I have my first on Monday. :nailbiting:

Pineapple on pizza is delicious. My favorite pizza toppings are pineapple, jalapeños, olives and mushrooms. All together :D

I ****ing hate dog spays, that is all.

Hahaha. I have two *cat spays* that showed up tonight for dehiscence. One pretty minor, the other I'm about to go explore the abd.

Gotta wonder what happened that both of them got spayed at the same time by the same surgeon and are now open. :)

In other news ... it was "chili" with beans. Per the agreement. But in general, I'm with DVMD on this one.

Pineapple on pizza is delicious. My favorite pizza toppings are pineapple, jalapeños, olives and mushrooms. All together :D
GOD, No.
giphy.gif

Edit: it's 5 am and I'm far too lazy to go get on my computer and fix this gif before work so deal with it :p

What happened?

Nothing "happened" really just deep chested, oozy juicy puppy spay. Can't see jack **** of what you are actually doing. The damn ovarian pedicle might as well be in ****ing China because you can't visualize it well. Even with lifting and gently turning the Carmalts... it is like a ****ing minimal of three hands needed and I've only got two. But most the veterinary population can do spays alone so I'm trying to not have a tech scrub in. Tied one of my stupid sutures over the hemostat because I couldn't see worth ****e. I mean placed another suture when I noticed it but just uber frustrating. Then add in the frustration of specifically asking to not be over scheduled with surgeries when a spay is on board because spays can take me up to 3 hours because I ****ing suck and, well, I might as well have made that request to wall, heck the wall may have listened better.

Hahaha. I have two *cat spays* that showed up tonight for dehiscence. One pretty minor, the other I'm about to go explore the abd.

Gotta wonder what happened that both of them got spayed at the same time by the same surgeon and are now open. :)

In other news ... it was "chili" with beans. Per the agreement. But in general, I'm with DVMD on this one.

Any update on what happened? Learning from others "mistakes" is better than learning from your own.

Any update on what happened? Learning from others "mistakes" is better than learning from your own.

Nah. Explored. Was boring. Flushed out the abd. Closed.

No idea why they both had varying degrees of dehiscence. Maybe no e-collars?? Dunno. My first thought when I examined was over-use of tissue glue .... I think a lot of people forget that tissue glue is great, but it creates a layer between tissues that means the tissue itself won't heal together (i.e. tissue || glue || tissue). So using too much can mean that it sticks for a while until the glue starts breaking down, then the incision opens. I've seen that a few times when people use too much instead of just a titch to hold a small portion together. But I don't think that's what happened here.

Dunno! Freak bad luck, maybe? Esp since the one was really fully dehisced and the other was just gaping a little bit (I just stapled that one and called it good.)?

Nothing "happened" really just deep chested, oozy juicy puppy spay. Can't see jack **** of what you are actually doing. The damn ovarian pedicle might as well be in ****ing China because you can't visualize it well. Even with lifting and gently turning the Carmalts... it is like a ****ing minimal of three hands needed and I've only got two. But most the veterinary population can do spays alone so I'm trying to not have a tech scrub in. Tied one of my stupid sutures over the hemostat because I couldn't see worth ****e. I mean placed another suture when I noticed it but just uber frustrating. Then add in the frustration of specifically asking to not be over scheduled with surgeries when a spay is on board because spays can take me up to 3 hours because I ****ing suck and, well, I might as well have made that request to wall, heck the wall may have listened better.
I do most of my surgery cursing when spaying dogs. Second most is trying to slip the edematous pedicle back into the scrotum on a bunny neuter. Slippery little buggers.

I do most of my surgery cursing when spaying dogs. Second most is trying to slip the edematous pedicle back into the scrotum on a bunny neuter. Slippery little buggers.
My school taught scrotal neuters on rabbits, but after experimenting I found pre-scrotal like a bajillion times easier. Try it if you're doing the former.

I don't do exotics, but I start cursing a bit with the little dog neuters where the testicles are no bigger than a peanut... those ****ers slip all over the place and it is damn near impossible to keep them in one place while making your pre-scrotal incision. Had a vet recommend to me to do those little buggers like a cat. So much nicer. So I now do itty, bitty dogs like a cat neuter.

I don't do exotics, but I start cursing a bit with the little dog neuters where the testicles are no bigger than a peanut... those ****ers slip all over the place and it is damn near impossible to keep them in one place while making your pre-scrotal incision. Had a vet recommend to me to do those little buggers like a cat. So much nicer. So I now do itty, bitty dogs like a cat neuter.
I do almost all dogs with a scrotal approach because I hate trying to force the damn things into a prescrotal position.

Yeah I started doing the tiny dogs/peds scrotally. Wayyy easier. Granted haven't done a dog neuter in over 1 year now I think...

This was my issue with my first neuter. Also having a surgeon breathing down my neck/my group staring at me while I took 5+ minutes to figure out a way to make my cut. I think they only allow scrotal approach for certain patients, we can't just elect to do that on our own unfortunately.

This was my issue with my first neuter. Also having a surgeon breathing down my neck/my group staring at me while I took 5+ minutes to figure out a way to make my cut. I think they only allow scrotal approach for certain patients, we can't just elect to do that on our own unfortunately.

Yeah, during school you have to grin and bear things and do as they tell you. Once you get out into practice, as long as you are providing minimal standard of care, do it how it works best for you. Scrotal approach on little bitty beany/peanutty testicles is fine.

And the last little dog I did pre-scrotal it took me about 7-10 minutes to get the little nutter to stay in one place in order to make a cut and even then it kept slipping, so I had to keep realigning it up. Pain in the damn ass.

For little tiny canine testicles that you go scrotally, do you also autoligate? In my head that seems like the best route (no foreign material) but I don't think I've seen anyone do that on a dog yet, so maybe there are reasons not to do it that way.

Whether it was right or wrong, we did autoligation on tiny pediatric canine neuters at one of the shelters I externed at. It's my preference. I just make sure it's nice and tight before I let it go.

For little tiny canine testicles that you go scrotally, do you also autoligate? In my head that seems like the best route (no foreign material) but I don't think I've seen anyone do that on a dog yet, so maybe there are reasons not to do it that way.
It works fine as long as they're small and you make sure everything is snug. I've also done what I do with a lot of feral spays where I'll autoligate and also throw a quick single ligature on in order to make myself feel better.

My school taught scrotal neuters on rabbits, but after experimenting I found pre-scrotal like a bajillion times easier. Try it if you're doing the former.
An abdominal approach? I'm trying to picture pre-scrotal on a bunny. My school didn't teach exotic surgery, I read and talked to my boss who prefers scrotal approach.

An abdominal approach? I'm trying to picture pre-scrotal on a bunny. My school didn't teach exotic surgery, I read and talked to my boss who prefers scrotal approach.
I guess it's kind of a hybrid tbh; two incisions, very much at the base where the testicles attach. Ancient website, but this video shows what I mean: Castration of Rabbits (Techniques)

The clinician I learned from in school would do kind of a mid scrotal nick on both and extrude everything through that little incision; I did it in one testicle successfully in school, but in practice really didn't like it at all after a couple rabbits.

For a peds neuter, I do. I mean,it's basically the size of a cat at that point. I've never done them in older/larger dogs.

Fighting through a review slide deck for tomorrow morning's exam. It's close to 200 slides, and all pictures. I am not a visual learner :help:

As much as I'm loving this externship (seriously, it's fabulous), my poor and always fragile immune system in flailing in this new climate... A bit of altitude sickness AND an unforgiving cold (I forgot how horrible fevers were..). Ugh.

Went and had blood drawn this morning for my rabies titer. The nurse looking at my records noted that I may not have been given the vaccine series (back in 2011) correctly at the proper time intervals. Got to overhear my nurse and her supervisor go back and forth on whether to do the titers now or just get the more expensive booster and then do titers later. Decided to just do titers today.

Very disconcerting since I got the vaccination at the school clinic from professionals who coordinate all the vaccination and titer testing for the vet school. Hopefully they just recorded the date wrong, which is still disconcerting because the majority of my medical records come from their files. I might still need to do a booster since it has been more than five years.