RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Moving during clinics. What the eff was I thinking? :dead:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else getting regular error messages from SDN? Basically trying to load every thread? It is getting really old.
Yes always. I even got it as a pop up once last week.

691A64A4-04AE-438F-8786-322FE48B55C9.png

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The other day at work I kept getting logged out. Like I would read one page of WW and by the time I clicked on the next page I would need to log in again. Not really an error message but still really annoying.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the bright side our hotel room in Copenhagen doesn’t have insects but we have BATS. IN OUR HOTEL ROOM.

Reactions: 3 users
On the bright side our hotel room in Copenhagen doesn’t have insects but we have BATS. IN OUR HOTEL ROOM.
Eeewww I know those feels all too well. My family rented the cutest cabin in the Smokey Mountains in April and the first night we heard these sounds like the fan squeaking but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The next morning we found bat droppings all over the floor on the second floor...where my brother and his fiance had been sleeping. Sure enough we found two bats hanging from the highest point of the ceiling.

....hope they slept with their mouths closed

Reactions: 4 users
Also, second time today where I've been tagged in a thread that I hadn't been on and was greatly confused at the notification.

Reactions: 3 users
Eeewww I know those feels all too well. My family rented the cutest cabin in the Smokey Mountains in April and the first night we heard these sounds like the fan squeaking but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The next morning we found bat droppings all over the floor on the second floor...where my brother and his fiance had been sleeping. Sure enough we found two bats hanging from the highest point of the ceiling.

....hope they slept with their mouths closed
2:30 am: My brother opened his eyes and since it’s stayed pretty light out, he was able to see this black bird like thing circling the room. He screamed to wake me up and we’re hiding under the covers from the bat. It’s circling the small hotel room, and clicking and every now and then getting damn close to us. It flies under the bed, we move the bed and looking for the bat. No avail. My brother goes down to the lobby, and they say that they can help once we find it again. We go back to bed 30 minutes later, after thoroughly conducting a bat hunt.

4:30 am: my brother heard the clicking sound again, opened his eyes and it’s back. He screamed to wake me up, I went to open the window, just as a second bat went to fly in. The second bat hit the window from the outside and left, my brother and I came prepared this time. Armed with a throw pillow, my brother knocks a bat out of the sky onto the ground, where it seeks cover under the mini fridge.

We decided that I would move the fridge and be would wack the bat with the pillow again so we could eventually get it back outside. The fridge was moved, and as I move it, this bat is clicking and hissing and generally a very very angry bat. He hits the bat with a throw pillow. I hit the bat with another throw pillow. He throws the pillow onto the bat. We thought the bat was dead and called the lobby to come pick it up and they said that they can’t leave their desk, and they recommended us using a towel to pick it up.

At this point the bat is stunned and then starts clicking and hissing again and is pretty ****ing mad. I open the window and then lift the pillow and he grabs the bat with a towel and throws it out the window, where the bat gratefully flies away. We shut the door. Hopefully there are no bats tonight, but if there are, we know how to deal with them!

Reactions: 6 users
That was wild from start to finish

That sounds absolutely terrifying and that should have in no way been your job to handle! The hotel should have called pest control immediately. Since when is it the customer's job to locate the bat that's somewhere in their hotel room? Weird. We had called the management company of our cabin rental and they called pest control for them to handle it. From a public health standpoint they should have never made you guys find the bat :/

Reactions: 5 users
That sounds absolutely terrifying and that should have in no way been your job to handle! The hotel should have called pest control immediately. Since when is it the customer's job to locate the bat that's somewhere in their hotel room? Weird. We had called the management company of our cabin rental and they called pest control for them to handle it. From a public health standpoint they should have never made you guys find the bat :/
The hotel should have also gotten them a new room but that doesn’t sound like it happened either.
They also ARE in Copenhagen starting the beginning of a vacation, so it’s not the US but I still feel like they should’ve been given a new room and NOT made to find the freaking bat.

The hotel should have also gotten them a new room but that doesn’t sound like it happened either.
They also ARE in Copenhagen starting the beginning of a vacation, so it’s not the US but I still feel like they should’ve been given a new room and NOT made to find the freaking bat.
Ah, forgot about the Copenhagen part. I agree though, at the very minimum a new room until it could be handled appropriately.

Ah, forgot about the Copenhagen part. I agree though, at the very minimum a new room until it could be handled appropriately.
They DID get us a new room for tonight, which is good. We also went to speak with them this morning to call us a doctor, and it was a hell of a struggle to get to talk to a doctor since we didn’t have a confirmed “bat bite” (and Denmark has the universal health care in which you can’t see a doctor unless you’re actively dying) but the doctor said that she doesn’t believe that either of us are going to come down with rabies, so that’s good at least.

I took a video of underneath the bed in searching for the bat the first time, and I believe I saw a hole where the bat’s been nesting. Very happy to not be in that room tonight!!!

Reactions: 1 users
They DID get us a new room for tonight, which is good. We also went to speak with them this morning to call us a doctor, and it was a hell of a struggle to get to talk to a doctor since we didn’t have a confirmed “bat bite” (and Denmark has the universal health care in which you can’t see a doctor unless you’re actively dying) but the doctor said that she doesn’t believe that either of us are going to come down with rabies, so that’s good at least.

I took a video of underneath the bed in searching for the bat the first time, and I believe I saw a hole where the bat’s been nesting. Very happy to not be in that room tonight!!!
NOPE BYE.
I would’ve told the desk they needed to find us a new room at 2 am

Uhh...at least where I am, the health department would have you all on PEP...
Yeah... we’ve definitely had this discussion with the doctors and with a couple different people. Apparently there’s not a high prevalence in Denmark or something- last case was in 2009.

Yeah... we’ve definitely had this discussion with the doctors and with a couple different people. Apparently there’s not a high prevalence in Denmark or something- last case was in 2009.
And was the 2009 case from someone wrestling a bat? ;)

I've had a 3 day long headache, likely caused by my upper back freaking out from 1) the fact that I wore my bra too tight for a day and 2) taking a nap on my couch which is very soft and not terribly supportive. :sour:

Adding onto that, I forgot to take my meds on Saturday so all Saturday night and Sunday morning, my stomach was very angry with me. Which caused me to take more naps on my couch. I am dumb.

I can't take NSAIDs right now because I gave myself a GI bleed recently and it's still healing. My occipital neuralgia is getting out of control and I have a 10 hour shift tonight and another tomorrow. This is going to suck a lot!

Too bad I am really thirsty and that's why I was getting a glass...
15330088401329087056075283126833.jpg

Phone died today :( like, repair people say it would be cheaper to just buy a new phone died. Really sucky timing because I'm on call this weekend and the hubs is going out of town this weekend so I desperately need a new one before Friday. Luckily all my pictures are backed up but jeez, the phone is only 1.5 years old! I didn't even drop it, it just glitched out while in my pocket. Boo.

Phone died today :( like, repair people say it would be cheaper to just buy a new phone died. Really sucky timing because I'm on call this weekend and the hubs is going out of town this weekend so I desperately need a new one before Friday. Luckily all my pictures are backed up but jeez, the phone is only 1.5 years old! I didn't even drop it, it just glitched out while in my pocket. Boo.
:(:(:(:(:(:(
If you’re an iPhone person, I highly recommend AppleCare (over phone carrier insurance). If it’s something else, I got no suggestions for the new phone

my phone is very old. i'm pathologically attached. its been a bit glitchy for years, but in February the camera stopped working and i was sad. but not sad enough to replace it. then in June, one crazy weekend the screen just started completely blacking out after a couple of seconds. unusable, right? WRONG. internet hacks for the win, took all the screws out of the back and disassembled it and am using a little paper hack to make it work again. just have to take it apart and replace the paper every 5-7 days now. :unsure: its fine. totally fine. nothing crazy or unhealthy to see over here folks...

my phone is very old. i'm pathologically attached. its been a bit glitchy for years, but in February the camera stopped working and i was sad. but not sad enough to replace it. then in June, one crazy weekend the screen just started completely blacking out after a couple of seconds. unusable, right? WRONG. internet hacks for the win, took all the screws out of the back and disassembled it and am using a little paper hack to make it work again. just have to take it apart and replace the paper every 5-7 days now. :unsure: its fine. totally fine. nothing crazy or unhealthy to see over here folks...

I'm torn between being impressed with your commitment to keeping your old phone vs wanting to just buy you a new one. The thought of changing a paper every week would drive me nuts. I'm already considering getting a new one and my phone isn't even a year old because it's been doing a few very minor weird, but annoying things.

So I didn't believe the repair guy and did some (4 hours) internet searching as well and tried everything I could find. No dice. Got to the point where if I was going to get a phone by the weekend for sure I needed to pull the trigger so I did. New phone set to arrive Thursday. I hate panic-shopping, I like to read reviews on big purchases until my eyes bleed and I eventually tell the hubs to choose for me because I can't read any more reviews...

We never touched the bat! We hit it with throw pillows instead! :laugh:
So can we talk about how it sounds like you guys spent a good amount of time harassing and probably causing pain to this bat? No wonder it was pissed off. I know I'm being *that* person and probably the only one who finds this less than amusing, but come on. Not only is it just being an a**hole to this bat who has no desire to be around you either, but it's also an ineffective way of getting the bat outside and highly increases the chances of you getting bitten. There is no need to repeatedly knock a bat out of the air by throwing and swinging **** at it. More stress/pain -> more desperate flying trying to escape. It's a wild animal and you're beating it. It's the equivalent of whacking a song bird with a pillow. Common sense.

'Pro'-tip: I've had a lot of success letting the bat land, then using a broom (if you can reach). encourage the bat to grab on to the bristles, and very slowly stick the broom out of the window. Other people prefer to gently grab with a towel (if inside, since there are few places for the bad to land so they often just end up crawling pathetically on the ground). If you were that afraid, you should have demanded a new room at the very least so you wouldn't have been the one to remove the bat.

So can we talk about how it sounds like you guys spent a good amount of time harassing and probably causing pain to this bat? No wonder it was pissed off. I know I'm being *that* person and probably the only one who finds this less than amusing, but come on. Not only is it just being an a**hole to this bat who has no desire to be around you either, but it's also an ineffective way of getting the bat outside and highly increases the chances of you getting bitten. There is no need to repeatedly knock a bat out of the air by throwing and swinging **** at it. More stress/pain -> more desperate flying trying to escape. It's a wild animal and you're beating it. It's the equivalent of whacking a song bird with a pillow. Common sense.

'Pro'-tip: I've had a lot of success letting the bat land, then using a broom (if you can reach). encourage the bat to grab on to the bristles, and very slowly stick the broom out of the window. Other people prefer to gently grab with a towel (if inside, since there are few places for the bad to land so they often just end up crawling pathetically on the ground). If you were that afraid, you should have demanded a new room at the very least so you wouldn't have been the one to remove the bat.

o_O:meh:

Really? Come on now, climb down from the high horse and realize they probably did the best they could given the resources and situation they were in. What hotel room has a broom inside? Seriously. Known rabies vector animal, get it out as best you can. It sure as **** doesn't sound like they were going to get another room that night. You can demand all you want but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

o_O:meh:

Really? Come on now, climb down from the high horse and realize they probably did the best they could given the resources and situation they were in. What hotel room has a broom inside? Seriously. Known rabies vector animal, get it out as best you can. It sure as **** doesn't sound like they were going to get another room that night. You can demand all you want but that doesn't mean you'll get it.
:rolleyes: They went to the front desk...I'm almost certain every hotel has one broom somewhere. Like I said, common sense. Still not an excuse for making poor decisions and repeatedly agitating an animal, especially given that it is a rabies vector. You wouldn't continue to throw **** at a raccoon, skunk, or fox after your first attempt to move it out of your house/room failed, would you? No, because that would piss it off and make things more dangerous (and then on top of that, it's a mean thing to do). Would you do it to a dog or cat with an unknown vaccination history that wandered into your house?

If you feel the best option is to repeatedly hit a thing under 50g with a pillow until you knock it unconscious, go for it. They're just nuisances, after all ;)

:rolleyes: They went to the front desk...I'm almost certain every hotel has one broom somewhere. Like I said, common sense. Still not an excuse for making poor decisions and repeatedly agitating an animal, especially given that it is a rabies vector. You wouldn't continue to throw **** at a raccoon, skunk, or fox after your first attempt to move it out of your house/room failed, would you? No, because that would piss it off and make things more dangerous (and then on top of that, it's a mean thing to do). Would you do it to a dog or cat with an unknown vaccination history that wandered into your house?

If you feel the best option is to repeatedly hit a thing under 50g with a pillow until you knock it unconscious, go for it. They're just nuisances, after all ;)

They didn't knock it unconscious and you can bet your ass if an unknown scared dog or cat is coming at me, I would kick it, shove it away, whatever I can to prevent a bite. If the raccoon were repeatedly coming at me and the only thing I had was a pillow, I'll hit it every time it comes at me.

My life and not being bit >>>>> than "scaring" the wild animal every time. If I don't defend and do get bit then the animal is for sure dead because it is being euthanized. There's a recent video going around of some guy trying to "gently" help/encourage a raccoon to move. He got bit. Gentle and friendly isn't always the correct option, you do what you can with what you have.

They didn't knock it unconscious and you can bet your ass if an unknown scared dog or cat is coming at me, I would kick it, shove it away, whatever I can to prevent a bite. If the raccoon were repeatedly coming at me and the only thing I had was a pillow, I'll hit it every time it comes at me.

My life and not being bit >>>>> than "scaring" the wild animal every time. If I don't defend and do get bit then the animal is for sure dead because it is being euthanized. There's a recent video going around of some guy trying to "gently" help/encourage a raccoon to move. He got bit. Gentle and friendly isn't always the correct option, you do what you can with what you have.
Sure, if it came at you, but that's not what I asked you. Would you keep hitting it as it searched for a way out or cowered in a corner? This bat wasn't coming at them, so while reasonable for the situations you described, your points don't fit the context here. I would kick away an animal coming at me as well, but I wouldn't try to knock it unconscious just to move it if it was clearly trying to get itself out or cowering. There are better/safer ways than hitting an animal to get it out of a room. I would hope that as animal people here, we all recognize the fact that you can't really expect most animals to sit and take it while you escalate the situation. It makes no sense to say 'I don't want to get bit, therefore I will use force and fear to try to manipulate/control this wild animal.' And don't get me started on people approaching wildlife...another common sense issue to discuss another day.

I get that I come from a different background and have done more wildlife stuff (including removal/relocation) than what seems to be the average here, but agree to disagree. You keep knocking those bats out of the sky, I'll euthanize them when you get bitten or when you fracture their digits.

Sure, if it came at you, but that's not what I asked you. Would you keep hitting it as it searched for a way out or cowered in a corner? This bat wasn't coming at them, so while reasonable for the situations you described, your points don't fit the context here. I would kick away an animal coming at me as well, but I wouldn't try to knock it unconscious just to move it if it was clearly trying to get itself out or cowering. There are better/safer ways than hitting an animal to get it out of a room. I would hope that as animal people here, we all recognize the fact that you can't really expect most animals to sit and take it while you escalate the situation. It makes no sense to say 'I don't want to get bit, therefore I will use force and fear to try to manipulate/control this wild animal.' And don't get me started on people approaching wildlife...another common sense issue to discuss another day.

I get that I come from a different background and have done more wildlife stuff (including removal/relocation) than what seems to be the average here, but agree to disagree. You keep knocking those bats out of the sky, I'll euthanize them when you get bitten or when you fracture their digits.

I think you need to climb off your high horse and come down to reality of what most people will realistically be able to do.