RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Strongly disagree. If there's one thing I've learned in my short life so far, it's that following both the Golden Rule to treat others as one would want to be treated (which is secular and spans dozens of faiths) as well as taking it a step further and following the 2nd Great Commandment to unconditionally love others as you love yourself lead to a certain degree of inner peace and contentment than simply adopting a selfish "**** em all" way of seeing the world and treating others. It's hard to explain, but at least from where I'm standing, being kind to people and loving them -- even when they kick you in the teeth -- is worth it.

Come work with me for a month.

I don't treat people badly but let's just say I'm very less willing to do "favors" for people because the theme is always "no good deed goes unpunished".... 99% of the people we go above and beyond for bitch/complain/throw a fit our otherwise treat us like ****, so much so, I rarely do favors for anyone. I don't have appointments, you have to wait no "working in". You're 15 minutes late for your 30 minute appointment, you need to reschedule. You walk in already complaining about how long "this" will take.... I find 165272727 other things to do before going to see you.

Spend a month with me and you'll be fed up enough with people, you'd be happy to never see another person again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Come work with me for a month.

I don't treat people badly but let's just say I'm very less willing to do "favors" for people because the theme is always "no good deed goes unpunished".... 99% of the people we go above and beyond for bitch/complain/throw a fit our otherwise treat us like ****, so much so, I rarely do favors for anyone. I don't have appointments, you have to wait no "working in". You're 15 minutes late for your 30 minute appointment, you need to reschedule. You walk in already complaining about how long "this" will take.... I find 165272727 other things to do before going to see you.

Spend a month with me and you'll be fed up enough with people, you'd be happy to never see another person again.
I 100% agree with your experience and still stand by what I said. "No good deed goes unpunished" is the story of my life. Same with being misunderstood (goes beyond just WW lol). I think the philosophy behind what I said goes a bit deeper than can be summed up in a 20 second forum post. The whole point is that in spite of other humans being the scum of the earth towards you, that you still forgive, and that you still selflessly love, just as Christ did and does for us. (Of course easier said than done, and of course it's an exercise in masochism.) I think the wisdom of this goes deeper than human understanding, and it's very easy to just put walls up. I think everyone in this forum who has ever interacted with people know that some/many/most just suck and will not hesitate to take advantage of any kindness you show, as if they interpret kindness as weakness to be exploited instead of as strength to be loved. I think a lot of what the human experience is is counterintuitive to what God expects of us, because why else should we constantly be patient and kind and humble and selfless to others, yanno? It's so much easier to protect ourselves and play the game. I just know what I know, and I trust that there is more contentment and peace by learning how to forgive others and to love them despite their shortcomings and the way they treat you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Strongly disagree. If there's one thing I've learned in my short life so far, it's that following both the Golden Rule to treat others as one would want to be treated (which is secular and spans dozens of faiths) as well as taking it a step further and following the 2nd Great Commandment to unconditionally love others as you love yourself lead to a certain degree of inner peace and contentment than simply adopting a selfish "**** em all" way of seeing the world and treating others. It's hard to explain, but at least from where I'm standing, being kind to people and loving them -- even when they kick you in the teeth -- is worth it.

way to make me look like the biggest **** this forum has ever seen

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
way to make me look like the biggest **** this forum has ever seen

Don't worry, I took your post and vamped it up. I agree with you. People are awful, it isn't worth being "nice"... this doesn't mean being a dickhead either, this just means setting boundaries and avoiding the ways people have taken advantage of/been rude to you in the past so that it doesn't happen again. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: 4 users
I 100% agree with your experience and still stand by what I said. "No good deed goes unpunished" is the story of my life. Same with being misunderstood (goes beyond just WW lol). I think the philosophy behind what I said goes a bit deeper than can be summed up in a 20 second forum post. The whole point is that in spite of other humans being the scum of the earth towards you, that you still forgive, and that you still selflessly love, just as Christ did and does for us. (Of course easier said than done, and of course it's an exercise in masochism.) I think the wisdom of this goes deeper than human understanding, and it's very easy to just put walls up. I think everyone in this forum who has ever interacted with people know that some/many/most just suck and will not hesitate to take advantage of any kindness you show, as if they interpret kindness as weakness to be exploited instead of as strength to be loved. I think a lot of what the human experience is is counterintuitive to what God expects of us, because why else should we constantly be patient and kind and humble and selfless to others, yanno? It's so much easier to protect ourselves and play the game. I just know what I know, and I trust that there is more contentment and peace by learning how to forgive others and to love them despite their shortcomings and the way they treat you.

I'm fairly atheist at this point so.... yeah. I get what you're saying, we all do, I don't think we're talking about being dinguses ourselves, just avoiding circumstance in which our kindness has been taken advantage of.

For example, if someone calls wanting their pet seen now but I'm fully booked there's a very good chance I say I won't see them. Not because I don't want to or couldn't figure out a way to work them in but because I've been burned by enough people allowing them to come in in the past. They end up never showing up when we say, they complain about the wait despite being told there will be a wait, they complain about the cost, they do nothing for the pet or do the bare minimum, etc, etc, etc.....when you get this nearly every time, you just stop doing it. No one deserves to take repeat abuse in the name of "kindness".

I'm fairly atheist at this point so.... yeah. I get what you're saying, we all do, I don't think we're talking about being dinguses ourselves, just avoiding circumstance in which our kindness has been taken advantage of.
Some of what I talked about (e.g. the Golden Rule) spans faiths so is fairly secular. And the latter part of this post "avoiding circumstance in which our kindness has been taken advantage of" is quite literally the story of my life.

The second paragraph of your post talks about crappy clients from work who will prey on any semblance of kindness and patience you give them and then walk all over you then twist the experience to paint you as the bad guy, and yeah, work (at least in my experience) completely takes over one's life and sucks the life out of us. And it's draining to put up with toxic people.

As I said in my first post, a lot of the reasoning and philosophy of this can't be described in a 30s forum post, and I do think it's a bit strawmanish to describe what I'm advocating as voluntarily putting up with abusive people in some marytyrdom mandate -- I think that's putting words in my mouth. I was just speaking very high-level that, in my experience, a certain degree of growth occurs and a certain degree of self-actualization occurs when you can see other humans as the sinful, selfish beings they are and find the strength to forgive people even when they're spitting in your face and bearing false witness against who you are on the inside. I can't explain it in this post or articulate it at all right now, and I'm not saying one should put up with an abusive work environment or tolerate an abusive family or intimate relationship. I just think that unconditional love and unconditional forgiveness can go a very long way with becoming the person that God wants us to be. That, plus having the inner strength to not let other humans "get" to you or rip your heart to shreds in the process -- I'm still very much working on this resilience aspect. Armor for the heart, if you will.

Edited to add:
Don't worry, I took your post and vamped it up. I agree with you. People are awful, it isn't worth being "nice"... this doesn't mean being a dickhead either, this just means setting boundaries and avoiding the ways people have taken advantage of/been rude to you in the past so that it doesn't happen again. Nothing wrong with that.
I agree with this 100%. I think we're talking past each other since the initial conversation prompt was nebulous enough it could be interpreted in different ways depending on context.

Last edited:
At the ER with Addy now. Poor babe has a puncture wound through right forelimb P2. I haven’t a clue how she got it, but we’re gonna sedate, clip, clean, culture, flush, and go from there.

“Hey Mom I heard you wanna be a SA ER vet so I brought you to the ER. Aren’t I a good girl?”

F50FCE7A-BC5F-4589-8890-356BC428C4F3.jpeg

I took pictures before, because I needed to send them to my parents so they would feel comfortable paying the ER bill and they’re going to be in a spoiler.

1DD8FBBE-6E6E-4E6D-AF69-90C5FE7CCACB.jpeg

I had thought about getting really wine drunk and then passing out in bed but I’m glad I didn’t. :laugh:

At the ER with Addy now. Poor babe has a puncture wound through right forelimb P2. I haven’t a clue how she got it, but we’re gonna sedate, clip, clean, culture, flush, and go from there.

“Hey Mom I heard you wanna be a SA ER vet so I brought you to the ER. Aren’t I a good girl?

I took pictures before, because I needed to send them to my parents so they would feel comfortable paying the ER bill and they’re going to be in a spoiler.

I had thought about getting really wine drunk and then passing out in bed but I’m glad I didn’t. :laugh:
Poor Addy! I have no clue how she did that but I'm glad she has you there to make sure she gets better. What a helpful girl to take you to the ER for experience ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Oh no!! Hope she's okay! Gotta love mystery wounds..

Poor Addy! I have no clue how she did that but I'm glad she has you there to make sure she gets better. What a helpful girl to take you to the ER for experience ;)
The most helpful!! Luckily she’s still pretty stoned on dex at the moment, but she’s slowly waking up so hopefully she’ll be chill and I can actually sleep tonight.
Oh no!! Hope she's okay! Gotta love mystery wounds..
She’s home now! We have clavamox and gabapentin now, so hopefully we get better. We’re rechecking on Monday, so hopefully all goes well. When we get the culture back, we can know if the bacteria is sensitive to clavamox or if we’ll need something else

Reactions: 4 users

“Hey Mom I heard you wanna be a SA ER vet so I brought you to the ER. Aren’t I a good girl?”

View attachment 255954

Ouch, poor girl! Hope she feels better quickly!

Ouch, poor girl! Hope she feels better quickly!
She has “e collar paralysis” which is pretty helpful for keeping her calm/ keeping her from messing with her bandage. But she wasn’t eating (and she’s the most food motivated dog ever) But other than that she seems fine! We’re going to do a recheck on Monday and then go from there. On Monday they might decide to flush some more and then either close then or rewrap!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess who earned a trip back to the ER once I got home and found that she had not only ripped her bandage off but also destroyed her ecollar in her separation anxiety panic.

Sharing the photo because it’s actually comical at this point. :laugh:

25EC8CA1-85E2-4378-BBB1-CC63629992E4.jpeg

Reactions: 13 users
Guess who earned a trip back to the ER once I got home and found that she had not only ripped her bandage off but also destroyed her ecollar in her separation anxiety panic.

View attachment 256123
That's impressive. Did you pick up a sedative for her too?

That's impressive. Did you pick up a sedative for her too?
Agreed, I didn’t know an ecollar could get that mangled. Hope you have some gaba, cdo
They prescribed 200 mg gabapentin BID (~21 kg dog, and she’s on 30 mg fluoxetine and like a week from steady state) and I started gaba this morning and gave the second dose at 5pm but who knows... might need to up the dose?

They prescribed 200 mg gabapentin BID (~21 kg dog, and she’s on 30 mg fluoxetine and like a week from steady state) and I started gaba this morning and gave the second dose at 5pm but who knows... might need to up the dose?
Sometimes a clear e-collar instead of the opaque one helps too.

View attachment 256123
Raodi got spayed at school in the 3rd year lab when I was in 1st year. Surgery was Wednesday and I picked her up Friday because my place was no pets allowed, so I had to be able to drive her home to Edmonton (about 300 km). When I came in the tech told me that she was on her second e-collar... they'd duct taped the first one back together several times until it was a completely lost cause before getting her a new one. When I went into the kennel room, the e-collar she was wearing already had duct tape on it. I feel your pain!

Reactions: 1 users
Raodi got spayed at school in the 3rd year lab when I was in 1st year. Surgery was Wednesday and I picked her up Friday because my place was no pets allowed, so I had to be able to drive her home to Edmonton (about 300 km). When I came in the tech told me that she was on her second e-collar... they'd duct taped the first one back together several times until it was a completely lost cause before getting her a new one. When I went into the kennel room, the e-collar she was wearing already had duct tape on it. I feel your pain!
Wow!!! Silly girl!

Agreed, I didn’t know an ecollar could get that mangled. Hope you have some gaba, cdo
Okay, let’s just say it’s a good thing that my dog is food motivated and will eat anything in a pill pocket/ any chewable medication.

She is on:
  • 30 mg Fluoxetine every evening
  • Clavamox BID
  • 200 mg gabapentin BID
  • 150 mg Trazodone 1 hr before leaving
If THAT doesn’t work, we’re adding alprazolam (Xanax) because it won’t mess with serotonin. We should be getting to steady state on her fluoxetine by the end of the week, but who knows. We’re seeing if we can add acupuncture to it. I don’t know how well it’ll works, but my friend has a greyhound with general anxiety that wasn’t responding to any meds, and acupuncture actually worked for her. So there’s an acupuncture wetlab in like 2 weeks that I’m going to try to get Addy signed up for.

Oh, my parents are also bringing Simba up to stay with me until the end of finals. They’re going to be in Chile for like 2 weeks and it was better than him staying at the vet the whole time. So that could help too.

She’s a great dog when I’m with her, but my goodness. Her separation anxiety is pretty bad.

She’s a great dog when I’m with her, but my goodness. Her separation anxiety is pretty bad.

At risk of sounding like I'm offering medical advice....Ask your vet about the new Purina Calming Care supplement. I've been surprisingly happy with it for my (mild) separation anxiety pup. Definitely took at least 5 weeks before I could see a difference so doesn't help with your current e-collar battle. It certainly hasn't been a cure-all, he's still a stress-ball about many things, but he mostly loves his crate for the first time in his life. I think the supplement really helped to take the edge off, and I think it can be used in conjunction with most pharmaceuticals.

At risk of sounding like I'm offering medical advice....Ask your vet about the new Purina Calming Care supplement. I've been surprisingly happy with it for my (mild) separation anxiety pup. Definitely took at least 5 weeks before I could see a difference so doesn't help with your current e-collar battle. It certainly hasn't been a cure-all, he's still a stress-ball about many things, but he mostly loves his crate for the first time in his life. I think the supplement really helped to take the edge off, and I think it can be used in conjunction with most pharmaceuticals.
That’s the plan! The last time I was there, she was having a pretty bad food allergy, so I didn’t want to overwhelm her GI tract/ cause HGE. I definitely want to add it on in addition to her Prozac just to see if I can eventually taper her down

150 mg Trazodone
Somewhat off topic but this is a fun tablet because it's trapezoid shaped and scored so you can cut it into three equal triangles (50/50/50). The other common dosage forms are boring and round.
There's also one that's round, but scored so you can cut it into thirds (50/50/50, cuts make a T shape) or halves (75/75).

Reactions: 5 users
Somewhat off topic but this is a fun tablet because it's trapezoid shaped and scored so you can cut it into three equal triangles (50/50/50). The other common dosage forms are boring and round.
There's also one that's round, but scored so you can cut it into thirds (50/50/50, cuts make a T shape) or halves (75/75).

This fascinates me but I don't know why

One of my cats is on indefinite fluoxetine because she’s got the worst food anxiety I’ve ever seen. She must’ve survived as a stray by garbage digging because (before we got a locking trash can) she would find a way to open the trash, climb in it, eat stuff out of it and then just CHILL THERE. Even with the locking trash can, she will claw at the garbage bag and pull it out to lick it. On fluoxetine, she doesn’t do that. Every time I try to taper her off it, she goes back to clawing at the trash and desperately trying to eat everything out of my hands. Love her to death, but man she’s a nervous nelly.

I initially read the numbers as percent of the tablet (50% rather than 50 mg) and was like "umm... math not your thing, friend?" Eventually caught up :laugh:

:luck:
That’s fun!!! Addy’s is round and has a score down the middle. We’re very pro boring apparently. :laugh:

My almost 18 year old kitty is not doing well. She has a lot of chronic issues and I'm afraid they're all catching up to her. :( Also have 2 exams this week I should be studying for.

• Sad
I caught a stomach bug. I have emetophobia so it’s sort of my worst nightmare. I’m living off of pedialyte and water. Can’t eat yet. The PA i saw today gave me an Rx for Zofran so that’s nice. Ugh i hate this so much.

• Sad
Went to Noodles and asked for bbq pork mac with no jalapeños. Got back to my study spot and realized they gave me jalapeños on the side. Ok weird but whatever. They also put jalapeños on my pasta. (I even had to help the cashier find it because I order it so much I know it's under "vegetables" instead of "garnish" which is apparently weird.) And my pasta tastes like last night's leftovers reheated in a crappy microwave. Place wasn't even busy. So I filled out their survey. If they're anything like the pharmacy I work at, anything less than "highly satisfied" will be scrutinized with a giant lens.

I caught a stomach bug. I have emetophobia so it’s sort of my worst nightmare. I’m living off of pedialyte and water. Can’t eat yet. The PA i saw today gave me an Rx for Zofran so that’s nice. Ugh i hate this so much.

I feel like we recently talked about this in rabbit. How you've only puked like twice in your life or something. Must have jinxed it. Get better soon!

I feel like we recently talked about this in rabbit. How you've only puked like twice in your life or something. Must have jinxed it. Get better soon!
Thanks! Surprisingly, I’ve been able to keep myself from physically getting sick. Zofran is really a great medication. However, I hope Cerenia becomes available for humans at some point. That would be awesome.

Maropitant causes weird bad heart things in humans.
Do you have a source for that? I tried searching for it but can’t find anything about its use in humans. I believe you, I just want to read more about it if you know of anywhere that has some info on it.

Edit: I did find something just now from Zoetis saying that based on findings from animal studies, it may cause rare but potentially serious cardiac effects in humans. It didn’t say why though.

Last edited:
Do you have a source for that? I tried searching for it but can’t find anything about its use in humans. I believe you, I just want to read more about it if you know of anywhere that has some info on it.

Edit: I did find something just now from Zoetis saying that based on findings from animal studies, it may cause rare but potentially serious cardiac effects in humans. It didn’t say why though.

I’m not sure the mechanism etc I just know that’s why it’s not for humans.

Okay long post ahead about my toller puppy who I've decided is a lemon dog. Also a rant about how my pets are just lemons in general.

So my toller puppy Clementine is 4.5 months old now and can't hold her bladder very well. When she was younger and I first got her I noticed she just peed A LOT, but I chalked it up to her being a puppy. My good friend (and Clem's veterinarian) watched her for me for a weekend and noted that she seemed to pee a lot too. We discussed it a bit but just assumed this was how she was and also she's still a young puppy who isn't house trained yet.

Fast forward a few weeks and pee just seems to start appearing on the bed/couch/crate when she's sleeping. I start to get suspicious and then one day she's laying down next to me and pee just appears beneath her. Great. Plus she's constantly urinating in her crate and because her crate is small so she also is getting urine all over herself.

So I finally send out a urine on her for a urinalysis and it comes back with a ton of WBCs but nothing else. Vet puts her on 2 weeks of Clavamox where she starts to get a little bit better but after we stop she slides back to where she had been before. Vet has me submit another urine for a recheck a week later and it comes back with WBCs again and now 2+ protein.

So yesterday we had to cysto her (which was a ton of fun) and sent out the urine for a culture and another UA. Her UA comes back with minimal WBCs this time and now 3+ protein. The vet had me call and add on a UPC to assess the protein in her urine but I'm freaking out now. Depending on how this works out she may need an ultrasound +/- scoping +/- contrast which really sucks.

It sucks even more because my Labrador was also a lemon dog. Around 4 months she had a bad case of kennel cough and pneumonia and weird breathing. I went through 1,000s of dollars of diagnostics with her until she was finally diagnosed with congenital lar par. My vet says it the only congenital case she's ever seen and she's been working in vet med for 14+ years.

This is also following my 2 year old cat blocking and needing surgery so yayyyy! (but at least he's doing well now)

So yeah just needed to get that off my chest. I'm freaking out and worried about my pupper. Hopefully her kidneys are okay and all her plumbing is anatomically sound and it's just an infection.

The curse of the vet student is upon you early, young padawn. Sucks, but rare is the vet student with an animal that remains healthy at all times. haha

Ugh, this is what I've been told many times

Okay long post ahead about my toller puppy who I've decided is a lemon dog. Also a rant about how my pets are just lemons in general.

So my toller puppy Clementine is 4.5 months old now and can't hold her bladder very well. When she was younger and I first got her I noticed she just peed A LOT, but I chalked it up to her being a puppy. My good friend (and Clem's veterinarian) watched her for me for a weekend and noted that she seemed to pee a lot too. We discussed it a bit but just assumed this was how she was and also she's still a young puppy who isn't house trained yet.

Fast forward a few weeks and pee just seems to start appearing on the bed/couch/crate when she's sleeping. I start to get suspicious and then one day she's laying down next to me and pee just appears beneath her. Great. Plus she's constantly urinating in her crate and because her crate is small so she also is getting urine all over herself.

So I finally send out a urine on her for a urinalysis and it comes back with a ton of WBCs but nothing else. Vet puts her on 2 weeks of Clavamox where she starts to get a little bit better but after we stop she slides back to where she had been before. Vet has me submit another urine for a recheck a week later and it comes back with WBCs again and now 2+ protein.

So yesterday we had to cysto her (which was a ton of fun) and sent out the urine for a culture and another UA. Her UA comes back with minimal WBCs this time and now 3+ protein. The vet had me call and add on a UPC to assess the protein in her urine but I'm freaking out now. Depending on how this works out she may need an ultrasound +/- scoping +/- contrast which really sucks.

It sucks even more because my Labrador was also a lemon dog. Around 4 months she had a bad case of kennel cough and pneumonia and weird breathing. I went through 1,000s of dollars of diagnostics with her until she was finally diagnosed with congenital lar par. My vet says it the only congenital case she's ever seen and she's been working in vet med for 14+ years.

This is also following my 2 year old cat blocking and needing surgery so yayyyy! (but at least he's doing well now)

So yeah just needed to get that off my chest. I'm freaking out and worried about my pupper. Hopefully her kidneys are okay and all her plumbing is anatomically sound and it's just an infection.
I know this isn’t specifically about money, but it’s always worth asking, especially for people who didn’t know these things exist: does your state have any sort of lemon law? Obviously not to replace your pup or anything, but to have the cost of treatment covered so that you don’t have to worry about money?

Sorry dina. Hoping everything turns out fine

The curse of the vet student is upon you early, young padawn. Sucks, but rare is the vet student with an animal that remains healthy at all times. haha

Very true. My own pup had a rare tarsal injury right before I graduated

I know this isn’t specifically about money, but it’s always worth asking, especially for people who didn’t know these things exist: does your state have any sort of lemon law? Obviously not to replace your pup or anything, but to have the cost of treatment covered so that you don’t have to worry about money?

My breeder is really awesome and I've been in contact with her. She has a policy that states she'll refund her purchase price if we find anything congenital so we're mostly just waiting for a concrete diagnosis at this point.

I don’t think lemon laws cover animals...