RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Squeaksmom I’m sorry you’re going through that. My dad did something similar when I was getting bad grades in the beginning of undergrad. He threatened to not give me financial help with school if I didn’t switch majors. I talked him out of it and obviously everything worked out, but for other reasons we actually didn’t speak for over three years. My point being, you’re not alone. I know how much it hurts and when you’re already struggling emotionally, it doesn’t help to have your family adding to that. If you ever need to talk, let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
@Squeaksmom I'm so sorry. Barely keeping above water academically is a trying enough experience, but for your father to act like that and view things that way is awful. It's as if he's pushing you beneath the surface when you're already struggling to not drown. That entire situation just blows.

Always here for you if you need to talk to someone. And sending all my love and support your way.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to say it again... the love reaction on here is way too cheerful for the way I'm using it.

Thanks, friends! <3

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
FTFY. Love composting 100% of organic/food waste. And coffee grounds. Everything. It takes me like 1-2 months before I fill up a kitchen trash bag, and it doesn't even smell 'cuz all the organic stuff is thrown out into the woods to biodegrade. :horns:
Isn’t there actually a **** ton of food waste that shouldn’t be composted?

The only thing that should really go down a sink is liquids :laugh: the garbage disposal is really only for the bits of food that get stuck to dishes, not actual food :p

You two need to use the garbage :laugh:
Honestly didn't even know that

• Haha
Isn’t there actually a **** ton of food waste that shouldn’t be composted?
It'll biodegrade nonetheless. I'd rather food scraps (like when making a salad as well as banana peels and other fruit skins and stems) it biodegrade in the woods and/or in a compost pile than pay silly amounts of money for garbage service when it takes me almost 2 months just to generate one kitchen-sized bag of garbage. I've found that I can recycle maybe about 90% of non-food waste as well.

I'm in awe at how wasteful and lazy many people are.

TLDR to my post in the pet thread: I paid $1,000 (actually haven't paid my bill yet :oops:) to find out my cat gets abnormal heart beats from being so nervous at the vets :rofl: I can laugh about it because he's not more seriously sick, right?! (though I did not have the money to spend, at all:cryi:)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I euthanized a 7wo, 3# puppy that was unresponsive with sheet white mucous membranes and fleas swarming onto his gums while I examined him. Yesterday. Also hookworms.

It's 2019 and idiotic that animals are still dying from easily managed parasites. Just hurts.
I know this is beside the point of this post because it doesnt apply here but I will say that hookworms can 100% be extremely difficult to manage.
My dog was infected with drug resistant hookworms while he was a race dog. It took over a year of treatment to clear him of the worms. It's an absolute epidemic in the south, especially in greyhounds. and it breaks my heart. some of the dogs can't even get rid of hooks after being treated for 2+ years. There are specific drug protocols being created to get rid of them (mostly centered on using advantage multi)
Honestly didn't even know that
Me either. I love putting egg shells in there it's my favorite

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is beside the point of this post because it doesnt apply here but I will say that hookworms can 100% be extremely difficult to manage.
My dog was infected with drug resistant hookworms while he was a race dog. It took over a year of treatment to clear him of the worms. It's an absolute epidemic in the south, especially in greyhounds. and it breaks my heart. some of the dogs can't even get rid of hooks after being treated for 2+ years. There are specific drug protocols being created to get rid of them (mostly centered on using advantage multi)

Me either. I love putting egg shells in there it's my favorite
Drug resistance in parasites is very concerning, thankfully it's rare here so far. I can only hope it continues to be rare for a long while.

Reactions: 3 users
I should never try to eat again. **** I hate this!

CW: suicide

Another vet lost to suicide. RIP Dr. Godbey.

This is out of control :(

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
In three years I've had two cases where I even had an inkling of suspicion I might have drug resistant hooks and I probably diagnose a dog with them every day in the practice I work in.

It's a concern, sure, but the vast, vast majority of these parasitic problems are manageable with easy and cheap drugs. Some pyrantel and flea management at any point in this puppy's life probably would have saved his life. And that sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
In three years I've had two cases where I even had an inkling of suspicion I might have drug resistant hooks and I probably diagnose a dog with them every day in the practice I work in.

It's a concern, sure, but the vast, vast majority of these parasitic problems are manageable with easy and cheap drugs. Some pyrantel and flea management at any point in this puppy's life probably would have saved his life. And that sucks.
I know that it didn't apply to this case, and said that. It's absolutely heartbreaking to see people not use readily available and safe products that literally could've saved the dog's life :(

It was also just exceptionally frustrating to actually have a dog with drug resistant hooks and have people assume that you didn't take care of your dog well or something. Which isn't the case at all. He got them before I had him and was treated bimonthly or monthly for MONTHS. I was in contact with researchers at UGA investigating the issue (though I think they ran out of funding). I also know a lot of greyhound owners who have had their dogs placed on ineffective treatment or have their concerns ignored because their vet wasn't aware of the absolutely horrible drug resistant hookworm issue there is amongst racing dogs.

I know that it didn't apply to this case, and said that. It's absolutely heartbreaking to see people not use readily available and safe products that literally could've saved the dog's life :(

It was also just exceptionally frustrating to actually have a dog with drug resistant hooks and have people assume that you didn't take care of your dog well or something. Which isn't the case at all. He got them before I had him and was treated bimonthly or monthly for MONTHS. I was in contact with researchers at UGA investigating the issue (though I think they ran out of funding). I also know a lot of greyhound owners who have had their dogs placed on ineffective treatment or have their concerns ignored because their vet wasn't aware of the absolutely horrible drug resistant hookworm issue there is amongst racing dogs.
Most of the time, my understanding is that it’s not so much an issue with drug resistance as it is with the fact that drugs will not reach hooks that are encysted within tissue. In the case with most puppy hooks, regular deworming with just about anything will take care of the infection where this isn’t the case.

It can be very frustrating if your goal is to wipe out the hooks in a stubborn encysted case. Occurs commonly with the racing greyhound population. But continued treatment whether it be moxidectin based alternating with another dewormer or some other protocol typically keeps things at bay enough that the dog is clinically well. The stupid eggs just keep showing up in fecals... At some point you just have to decide if it’s enough to keep slowly working on it diligently (q2wk deworming for months incorporating moxidectin usually) as long as the dog is asymptomatic, or obsess over it and give the dog more and more different dewormers which likely will have the same result. At some point, these dogs will often rid of it. But that has more to do with the timing of how things happened more so than what you dewormed them with.

Reactions: 6 users
Most of the time, my understanding is that it’s not so much an issue with drug resistance as it is with the fact that drugs will not reach hooks that are encysted within tissue. In the case with most puppy hooks, regular deworming with just about anything will take care of the infection where this isn’t the case.
It's really both encysting and drug resistance, afaik. After contacting UGA, the researcher there isolated hookworms that "are multiple-drug resistant to all three of the major anthelmintic classes". He told me that my dog likely had worms with "multiple- drug resistance". I haven't taken parasitology yet so I could be interpreting this incorrectly. I had to do a fair amount of research on this after so many failed months with my own dog.
I think the people at UGA were actually attempting to use profender orally in dogs to treat them, but I don't have any more info on that
It can be very frustrating if your goal is to wipe out the hooks in a stubborn encysted case. Occurs commonly with the racing greyhound population. But continued treatment whether it be moxidectin based alternating with another dewormer or some other protocol typically keeps things at bay enough that the dog is clinically well. The stupid eggs just keep showing up in fecals... At some point you just have to decide if it’s enough to keep slowly working on it diligently (q2wk deworming for months incorporating moxidectin usually) as long as the dog is asymptomatic, or obsess over it and give the dog more and more different dewormers which likely will have the same result. At some point, these dogs will often rid of it. But that has more to do with the timing of how things happened more so than what you dewormed them with.
Yep, super frustrating! My dog couldn't tolerate drontal plus as he had bizarre neurological symptoms on it (fly biting, restlessness/hyperactivity, etc). I ended up just continuing treating with advantage multi monthly without other medications. He finally got a clear fecal (with the IDEXX antigen test) after owning him for a bit over a year and 8ish months on advantage multi. Clinically, he was quite well, but has gas and loose stool. Could be a lot worse, but he still has a sensitive digestive system. I'm currently trying to switch his food, but may have to go back, as he has only managed to have solid stool on one type of food. Oh, and he just got his monthly advantage multi this morning :)

Regarding composting . . .

I spent a summer working with someone who was just finishing her tiny house. She had a book on composting human waste. The author even used his waste-compost in the garden. The girl I worked with was just using composting methods as a way to make due without plumbing. IIRC, she was layering peat moss in the toilet (bucket) to control smell and whatever, and then she could compost it in these big containers. I actually don't know what she ended up using the compost for - just the lawn, maybe?

But if you REALLY want to compost EVERYTHING ;)

I don't understand what part of "I am socially exhausted and want to spend a day doing things on my own and recharging" is unclear. Why the actual **** has someone invited me to four things this weekend after I said that to them. Ffessvgscv.

• Haha
  • Sad
Just finished watching Santa Clarita Diet and I AM SALTY THAT NETFLIX CANCELLED IT BECAUSE (no spoilers) IT ENDS ON A CLIFFHANGER AND I'LL NEVER KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS UGHHHHHHH
LITERALLY IT WAS ONE OF NETFLIX'S HIGHEST RATED SHOWS, HOW COULD THEY???

Rant and rave rolled into one but I just landed in Dublin and I just want to sleep :bigtears::bigtears:

Just finished watching Santa Clarita Diet and I AM SALTY THAT NETFLIX CANCELLED IT BECAUSE (no spoilers) IT ENDS ON A CLIFFHANGER AND I'LL NEVER KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS UGHHHHHHH
LITERALLY IT WAS ONE OF NETFLIX'S HIGHEST RATED SHOWS, HOW COULD THEY???
Maybe someone else will pick it up?

I don't understand what part of "I am socially exhausted and want to spend a day doing things on my own and recharging" is unclear. Why the actual **** has someone invited me to four things this weekend after I said that to them. Ffessvgscv.
This was me this past weekend! And then my husband goes and makes us brunch plans with his extroverted aunt and then invites a friend over to play a game and I'm hiding in the basement like just go away I need me time and also WTF happened to my fellow-introvert husband who is this person?

Maybe someone else will pick it up?
Isn't Netflix usually the one who does that?

Interesting... I like what I'm reading a lot, but also not sure where exactly they'd be able to squeeze more into our curriculum!
Yeah it’s such a great class. Ours is a 3 hour night course (6-9 pm) every couple of weeks throughout the semester for a total of 5 sessions!

Yeah it’s such a great class. Ours is a 3 hour night course (6-9 pm) every couple of weeks throughout the semester for a total of 5 sessions!
Ours is the same! We did have more than 5 nights scheduled during the semester, but it was because they kept getting cancelled for snow days. Our last session was after the class was supposed to be concluded, but it was because a professor died and they set it up as a grief support session

I'm repeating my year... you guys know that. My parents help me financially because I can't get student loans. I'm in Canada so it's not as expensive, but still definitely not cheap as undergrad programs go! When they gave me the option to repeat the year, I talked to my Mom right away so I could give them a quick decision. Dad was out of town.

I was over there a few days ago, getting Mom's help with something. Dad was golfing. Mom tells me that he's really mad at her for agreeing to support me repeating the year. I expected him to be upset that I'd failed, but I blew one exam and my own father would rather see me get kicked out than given another chance. Let that sink in for a minute....

(I can't find a swearing emoji or there would be several in this space...)
Sorry to be late to the upset party, but here is an emoji for you:
grumpy.gif

Hugs.

• Love
Lost one of my favorite patients today to cancer. A 3 (!!) yr old goldendoodle who was just the absolute sweetest with the most amazing owners. Feeling really crummy/sad about it. Some things just aren't fair.

• Sad
This was me this past weekend! And then my husband goes and makes us brunch plans with his extroverted aunt and then invites a friend over to play a game and I'm hiding in the basement like just go away I need me time and also WTF happened to my fellow-introvert husband who is this person?
I literally ix-nayed plans for the whole weekend saying I was exhausted and wanted to recharge. And then got invited to dinner on Friday. And I'm like, okay, I gotta eat, and a friend is in town.

Then at dinner they made movies plans. And I'm like, okay, I want to see Toy Story 4, I can do that I guess. Movies aren't that social anyway, just sit in a theatre together.

Then a couple hours prior to the movie I got invited over to drink. And whined at when I only came a couple minutes early. Then the next morning I got invited to brunch which they ended up skipping, and then ramen for dinner. ("What do you mean, no?? You love ramen!")

I love ramen but omfg stop trying to make me be social I want to be a ****ing hermiiiitttt for a day!!

Extroverts do not understand lol. It's so frustrating.

Reactions: 13 users
Soooo upset. My doctor I work for, who is super awesome and the most generous boss in the history of bosses, offered to get me an Eko stethoscope or a laptop for vet school as a thank you for being a good employee and to congratulate me on starting vet school. I told him the laptop i was gonna get was like $1200 so I’ll take the Eko since (as you all probably know) I really really want one and he knew that. I was all excited, and then I remembered an email I got from Penn talking about requirements for our clinical vet med course. The only approved stethoscopes, to the student affairs director’s knowledge, are Littmanns. So I might have to say no. Should I just get it anyway and use it whenever I have the chance, like when I work on breaks and do externships? Or should I find something else I want to use for school? Ugh!!!

Get it anyway. I’d say use it and see if they even notice it’s not ‘approved’. I doubt they’d toss you out for having a Welch Allyn or something. This can’t be too different.

Maybe someone from Penn can comment on if they enforce that or not.

Reactions: 7 users
Get it anyway. I’d say use it and see if they even notice it’s not ‘approved’. I doubt they’d toss you out for having a Welch Allyn or something. This can’t be too different.

Maybe someone from Penn can comment on if they enforce that or not.
I did see that they don’t physically inspect stethoscopes to make sure they’re the right ones. And it’s not like I’d be getting a $10 stethoscope that wouldn’t be the same quality as a Littmann cardiology. Worst case scenario, I use it for everything else outside of that one class.

Also @Skimble, thoughts?

Soooo upset. My doctor I work for, who is super awesome and the most generous boss in the history of bosses, offered to get me an Eko stethoscope or a laptop for vet school as a thank you for being a good employee and to congratulate me on starting vet school. I told him the laptop i was gonna get was like $1200 so I’ll take the Eko since (as you all probably know) I really really want one and he knew that. I was all excited, and then I remembered an email I got from Penn talking about requirements for our clinical vet med course. The only approved stethoscopes, to the student affairs director’s knowledge, are Littmanns. So I might have to say no. Should I just get it anyway and use it whenever I have the chance, like when I work on breaks and do externships? Or should I find something else I want to use for school? Ugh!!!

Get it.

I want to see it.

I feel like those requirements are to ensure that someone isn't going to CVS and buying a stethoscope for vet school. I think it's more of if the stethoscope is at least the same caliber of quality as a Littmann you'll be fine :)

I did see that they don’t physically inspect stethoscopes to make sure they’re the right ones. And it’s not like I’d be getting a $10 stethoscope that wouldn’t be the same quality as a Littmann cardiology. Worst case scenario, I use it for everything else outside of that one class.

Also @Skimble, thoughts?
We had similar requirements because of an auscultation lab here at school - they didn't want us using electronic stethoscopes so we could get the hang of listening to them on regular ones first. However, if you didn't have the "right" stethoscope, classmates were always willing to lend one out to you and it has never been a problem for anyone to my knowledge

Also @Skimble, thoughts?
No one looks at your stethoscope. Lots of people had non-littman’s. Get the one you want.

I had a cheapo stethoscope that I got from a previous job. I never used it, but a classmate had her stethoscope tube bitten in half by a horse, so I gave her the cheap one until she could get a good replacement. No one cared or noticed.

No one looks at your stethoscope. Lots of people had non-littman’s. Get the one you want.

I had a cheapo stethoscope that I got from a previous job. I never used it, but a classmate had her stethoscope tube bitten in half by a horse, so I gave her the cheap one until she could get a good replacement. No one cared or noticed.
Okay awesome. I’ll let him know to get it for me. I was so excited and I could tell he was a little upset too when I said I might not be able to get it.

Sorry to be late to the upset party, but here is an emoji for you:
grumpy.gif

Hugs.
Thanks for the emoji! <3

It's not even so much angry swearing, but that's my defense mechanism when I want to cry....

Why oh why did I put off all this IACUC paperwork, all packing or shopping, and cleaning out my locker at school?!?! I left myself like 2 days to do all this bull**** before leaving on a ~6 week One Health research trip to Costa Rica. Like, I am so excited for this trip. But I have been a lazy ass since school got out, with the exception of dealing with all the Ziggy craziness, and now I am def paying the price. Ughhh need some motivation here

Regarding composting . . .

I spent a summer working with someone who was just finishing her tiny house. She had a book on composting human waste. The author even used his waste-compost in the garden. The girl I worked with was just using composting methods as a way to make due without plumbing. IIRC, she was layering peat moss in the toilet (bucket) to control smell and whatever, and then she could compost it in these big containers. I actually don't know what she ended up using the compost for - just the lawn, maybe?

But if you REALLY want to compost EVERYTHING ;)
I found this helpful a few months ago when I caught it.

Seems somewhat popular in the sailing and RVing community. And tinyhouse community. (Also low-key mad props to their YouTube channel... nice content and adventures and positivity)

Last edited:
If Matt Damon can do it on Mars, no reason to not grow potatoes on earth with your own feces. :D
Spoilers! Some of us haven't seen the movie yet, and I feel like you gave away most of the pot. I mean plot.

Edit: Also, I'd like to see people's reactions if you have friends/family over for a picnic or get-together and you told them exactly how you made the potato salad. :eek:

Last edited:
  • Haha