orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
Myofascial release shouldn't cause bruising... the whole point of it is very very light touch. If it is causing bruising, someone is being much too firm.
My understanding is that it's not the goal, but that it can occur when using graston tools, which is what we did and I've had done before. I personally feel like I bruise easily and the majority of it was on the side that happens to be more severely affected for me in regards to tightness, restriction of movement, etc. And bruising may be the wrong word as it was more pinpoint and probably petechia from the friction. I will get petechia during handstand push ups too for whatever that's worth..We used a pain scale to determine if it was too much and I was never at a point where I was unable to converse with him, so didn't feel that it was too firm at the time.

Unrelated to my PT, I was stalking a website for a collab release of workout shorts from one of my favorite companies. They featured baby unicorns holding donuts. I stalked the website, had them in the my cart, attempted to check out 3 times and got an error message. Had to go through paypal and by the time that worked, they were sold out. I'm irrationally sad about this.

**Update: And no longer irrationally sad about the shorts. They are restocking them and taking orders via a presale, so they are officially ordered. Now I just have to be patient for 5 weeks...**

Last edited:
Reactions: SkiOtter

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Oh nooooo :( that's awful. If there's anything I can do to help you guys - or if your hubs needs a place to stay while he's up here - let me know.
Appreciate the offer. Luckily his other brother also lives in the Cities and has a house with a spare room and a couch so all 3 of them are going to be roomies for a bit.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I hate city driving so much and am so glad I’m not going to be using my car once school starts. I just had to parallel park as usual (which I’m actually good it by now) and the physical act of parking would have taken 5 seconds. Well in order to do that the front end of my car would’ve come into the next lane and caused an accident so I paused with my signal on so people would know to let me park as they usually do. Instead, everyone just kept going and glaring at me like i killed someone or something. That lasted for an entire minute until the light changed and cars stopped coming. But basically I ended up holding up an entire lane of traffic because no one would let me go. I’m so sick of having a car in the city.

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
I hate city driving so much and am so glad I’m not going to be using my car once school starts. I just had to parallel park as usual (which I’m actually good it by now) and the physical act of parking would have taken 5 seconds. Well in order to do that the front end of my car would’ve come into the next lane and caused an accident so I paused with my signal on so people would know to let me park as they usually do. Instead, everyone just kept going and glaring at me like i killed someone or something. That lasted for an entire minute until the light changed and cars stopped coming. But basically I ended up holding up an entire lane of traffic because no one would let me go. I’m so sick of having a car in the city.
Side streets are your friend for Philly parking. Or at least a few streets off of Spruce Street. When I had a car, I lived on Sansom and Locust (4th year) and could almost always find parking by my house that was not on Spruce Street. If your down in Center City, that's a whole other beast. It still stresses me out too though. I don't have to do it too frequently, so I'm a bit rusty and also get anxious when there are cars coming.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Side streets are your friend for Philly parking. Or at least a few streets off of Spruce Street. When I had a car, I lived on Sansom and Locust (4th year) and could almost always find parking by my house that was not on Spruce Street. If your down in Center City, that's a whole other beast. It still stresses me out too though. I don't have to do it too frequently, so I'm a bit rusty and also get anxious when there are cars coming.
I just moved from center city (16th and south) to west Philly (chestnut st). So it’s pretty busy still, but not as busy as center city by far. I’ve always found a spot within a couple minutes here. In center city it’s taken up to an hour and a half. How’s parking once school starts and more students move in?

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
My friend lives in Philly and the day she sold her car was the best day of her life.

Okay, maybe not, but she hasaaaated having a car there. Having to move it on certain days, having to dig it out of the snow... dealing with the nazi-esque parking folks there (apparently privatized and not owned by the city, so you can imagine).

Good luck but I would expect to hate it a lot.

Also it smells like garbage.

But damn is there some good food up there...

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
I just moved from center city (16th and south) to west Philly (chestnut st). So it’s pretty busy still, but not as busy as center city by far. I’ve always found a spot within a couple minutes here. In center city it’s taken up to an hour and a half. How’s parking once school starts and more students move in?
I didn't move my car too much once I had a spot except to go grocery shopping mainly, so I'd say majority of the time it was okay. Definitely harder and some times I'd have to drive around a few times to get a spot or park a few blocks further than I'd like but it usually it worked out. I frequently parked on 44/4500 blocks of Locust and Sansom, the side street between Spruce and Locust that is between the 45th and 46th blocks (I think it begins with an M). When I lived on Sansom, I used the 4500 block of Chestnut a lot. You just have to watch Chestnut in the winter as I think it's a snow emergency route.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Yuck, that's like Chicago or Boston parking. Especially if you can't park in the driveway or you place doesn't have a parking garage.

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
My friend lives in Philly and the day she sold her car was the best day of her life.

Okay, maybe not, but she hasaaaated having a car there. Having to move it on certain days, having to dig it out of the snow... dealing with the nazi-esque parking folks there (apparently privatized and not owned by the city, so you can imagine).

Good luck but I would expect to hate it a lot.

Also it smells like garbage.

But damn is there some good food up there...
Ugh, I miss the food so much. Luckily Providence has a fairly solid food scene when I get the chance to indulge in it.

grebes4lyfe

Wine loving wolf
Jun 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I didn't move my car too much once I had a spot except to go grocery shopping mainly, so I'd say majority of the time it was okay. Definitely harder and some times I'd have to drive around a few times to get a spot or park a few blocks further than I'd like but it usually it worked out. I frequently parked on 44/4500 blocks of Locust and Sansom, the side street between Spruce and Locust that is between the 45th and 46th blocks (I think it begins with an M). When I lived on Sansom, I used the 4500 block of Chestnut a lot. You just have to watch Chestnut in the winter as I think it's a snow emergency route.
This is good to know. I’ll be on 42nd and spruce

altadama

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
If you need to move your car...I've never had problems finding parking on a side street on weekends or evenings. I tried the middle of the day on a weekday once (Went home for the weekend and came back around noon on a Monday) and it took me over an hour and I about had an aneurysm. Only attempted it that one time so it may have been a fluke, but when school starts I'd recommend trying to be strategic with the times you leave and come back. The vet school breaks also usually don't line up exactly with undergrad breaks and I've noticed parking is much easier when the undergrads are on break.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
If you need to move your car...I've never had problems finding parking on a side street on weekends or evenings. I tried the middle of the day on a weekday once (Went home for the weekend and came back around noon on a Monday) and it took me over an hour and I about had an aneurysm. Only attempted it that one time so it may have been a fluke, but when school starts I'd recommend trying to be strategic with the times you leave and come back. The vet school breaks also usually don't line up exactly with undergrad breaks and I've noticed parking is much easier when the undergrads are on break.
That’s crazy! Usually mid day is the best time to park, vs later when people come home from work. So I’m pretty surprised by that.

altadama

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
That’s crazy! Usually mid day is the best time to park, vs later when people come home from work. So I’m pretty surprised by that.
I think it depends on how close to the school/hospital you are. I live super close so I think a lot of the spaces might be people who either work at the school/attend the school/work at the hospital etc. so that its slightly easier to park after some of them have gone home for the day. It definitely might be different if you're a little further away and I'm not a philly native or an expert on the city by any means! And admittedly after the time it took over an hour to park, I never tried moving my car in the afternoon again. Haha

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
Pro-tip: for the sanity of whoever is managing your stuff in the case of your untimely death, include info for logins on your computer, phone, social media accounts.

My mom and I noticed this morning that someone has access to my sister's instagram and using it to follow people. Tried contacting Instagram and they basically said, "We can only memorialize her account". We're already fighting Facebook about that account because it was memorialized without our permission. Her death is still under investigation and someone is jacking with her social media accounts. And I can't get any info on why her death is still under investigation as it was what appeared a straightforward situation.

It's just frustrating all the way around. State law says that her online stuff is considered the same as the physical journals and such I inherited. But all the social media companies are telling me to I need a court order and then theyll consider my requests for her login info and such. I have her will and death certificate. It shouldn't be this difficult to get this taken care of.

grebes4lyfe

Wine loving wolf
Jun 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Super stupid rant but I grew my nails out so that I could get a French manicure and I was so good and didn’t bite them for weeks and just went to get a manicure and she filed them down short. I think she misunderstood because she kept asking if I wanted to make them long with acrylics and I’m like “not longer. No acrylics” and I think she heard “not long” and filed away. And I was like “I think they’re too short now for a French manicure” and she’s like “no not too short! You have long nail beds. It’ll still look good” but they were totally too short so I just got plain color and I’m super annoyed because I worked so hard to keep them long enough until I got to the salon.

Also this is a new place because I can’t go to my old place anymore since they used soiled tools on me last time. I loved them so much. But it just grossed me out too much and I can’t go back. I saw her grab instruments out of a box labeled “soiled” and I about barfed

Last edited:

RespectTheChemistry19

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2014
I am so sorry you are going through that, @batsenecal. :(

Sitting with you. :(

Last edited:

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
First day on the job. Got my scrub tops, which are of course too small despite me measuring myself, comparing to the size chart, and going the next size up anyways. Scrubs cannot be returned, yay. Also got our schedule, and I knew I was going to start on ER overnights. l don't mind that, but I get only 4 days of shadowing the current interns (vs my internmates, who get 7-8 days). Feeling pretty overwhelmed with all of this, and feeling poopy about showing up to my first day on clinics with scrub tops so tight that they're little hard to move in :smack: I can order more once I get paid, but still.

Skimble

With Beans
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2014
Pennsylvania
Status
Veterinarian
First day on the job. Got my scrub tops, which are of course too small despite me measuring myself, comparing to the size chart, and going the next size up anyways. Scrubs cannot be returned, yay. Also got our schedule, and I knew I was going to start on ER overnights. l don't mind that, but I get only 4 days of shadowing the current interns (vs my internmates, who get 7-8 days). Feeling pretty overwhelmed with all of this, and feeling poopy about showing up to my first day on clinics with scrub tops so tight that they're little hard to move in :smack: I can order more once I get paid, but still.
My scrub top is way too big even though I ordered the same size I always do. I guess too big is significantly less of a problem.

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Today has been literal ****. My inlaws are making wedding planning so I want to rip my hair out. What part of extended family limited to aunts/uncles only don't you understand? What part of less than 150 people don't you get? On top of that found out something that has been so instrumental in my life is falling apart. It's depressing and sad and I wish this was just happening 4 years later and I could actually help and do something. :cryi:

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
I saw every hour of the clock last night from 10pm to 6am when I had to get up for work thanks to an inconsolable infant so hows everyone else's day going?

On the plus side my hubs is on the train back to Chicago so no more single momming it for me (also mad props to all the single parents out there, I don't know how you do it)

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
I saw every hour of the clock last night from 10pm to 6am when I had to get up for work thanks to an inconsolable infant so hows everyone else's day going?

On the plus side my hubs is on the train back to Chicago so no more single momming it for me (also mad props to all the single parents out there, I don't know how you do it)
That sounds rough and I'm sorry about your day. I'm glad you're getting the help you need! You're a super women :D

My day started with staying up way too late last night simply because I am unaccustomed to going to bed by 8PM. So when I finally fell asleep I had about five hours. My mentor/PI asked me to go to grand rounds "on his behalf" which was at 7AM... on the med school campus. He said don't worry! There's a bus that will take you and you don't have to worry about a thing! Next morning at the ass crack of dawn... no bus. I'm staring at my watch while growing panic eats away at my poor sleep deprived brain. Eventually I give up hope the bus is coming, hop in my car (thank goodness I didn't bike) and drive to this campus I've never seen before, park my car, hope I don't get a ticket because I can't figure out guest parking and book it to a room I've never been to before. You have to sign in and there's a spot for your degree or something? I don't have one so I actually have to ask for help :/ Manage all of that I sit down and everyone is in suits or scrubs, great. Listen to the rounds go for a solid hour after they were supposed to stop and book it back to the lab through commuting traffic (hell) and now have to work my regular workday. I want to curl up into a ball and sleep. Between this and yesterday's fiasco, this had better damn well be worth it :laugh:

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Behind the green curtains
Status
Veterinarian
That sounds rough and I'm sorry about your day. I'm glad you're getting the help you need! You're a super women :D

My day started with staying up way too late last night simply because I am unaccustomed to going to bed by 8PM. So when I finally fell asleep I had about five hours. My mentor/PI asked me to go to grand rounds "on his behalf" which was at 7AM... on the med school campus. He said don't worry! There's a bus that will take you and you don't have to worry about a thing! Next morning at the ass crack of dawn... no bus. I'm staring at my watch while growing panic eats away at my poor sleep deprived brain. Eventually I give up hope the bus is coming, hop in my car (thank goodness I didn't bike) and drive to this campus I've never seen before, park my car, hope I don't get a ticket because I can't figure out guest parking and book it to a room I've never been to before. You have to sign in and there's a spot for your degree or something? I don't have one so I actually have to ask for help :/ Manage all of that I sit down and everyone is in suits or scrubs, great. Listen to the rounds go for a solid hour after they were supposed to stop and book it back to the lab through commuting traffic (hell) and now have to work my regular workday. I want to curl up into a ball and sleep. Between this and yesterday's fiasco, this had better damn well be worth it :laugh:
It never is other than another story to tell, but you get to reward yourself in some way, so that is what I recommend. Sending internet luv your way. lol

grebes4lyfe

Wine loving wolf
Jun 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I just spent 3 full hours at the DMV. It took 3 hours to go through 21 people. When it was my turn it took 2 minutes. I had to deal with crying babies, annoying children, and people who smell like cigarettes. I hate the DMV. There are no redeeming qualities about it.
Ironically my best DMV experiences have been in LA because you can make an appointment lol

But yeah, the DMV is a terrible place no matter what

Reactions: SkiOtter

DVMDream

Don't disturb the snowflakes
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I just spent 3 full hours at the DMV. It took 3 hours to go through 21 people. When it was my turn it took 2 minutes. I had to deal with crying babies, annoying children, and people who smell like cigarettes. I hate the DMV. There are no redeeming qualities about it.
People are awful. Children are extra awful, but typically the awful children have equally awful adult parents. Basically don't go outside.... it is too peopley.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Does your state have the ability to view wait times online?? When I was 16 and applying for my license, I went online and found one DMV about an hour north that didn't have a wait time. So we went there.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
My state lets you make appointments days in advance and also lets you get in line for the current day and you just show up at the estimated time (which it auto updates if things are taking long there) and you get to skip the whole line.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Does your state have the ability to view wait times online?? When I was 16 and applying for my license, I went online and found one DMV about an hour north that didn't have a wait time. So we went there.
Not as far as I can tell. I would have definitely done that. The governor is trying to make that happen but it hasn’t yet. I suppose I’ll have to wait all over again to switch my license to Real ID in the future. Ugh. To make matter more annoying, we went to a drivers license center somewhere else and got seen immediately but they couldn’t help us since we were transferring our licenses from out of state rather than renewing. We almost avoided waiting. Almost...

Feb 19, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Not as far as I can tell. I would have definitely done that. The governor is trying to make that happen but it hasn’t yet. I suppose I’ll have to wait all over again to switch my license to Real ID in the future. Ugh. To make matter more annoying, we went to a drivers license center somewhere else and got seen immediately but they couldn’t help us since we were transferring our licenses from out of state rather than renewing. We almost avoided waiting. Almost...
Ugh I don’t like the REAL ID. It didn’t get explained nor taught to people at the DMV correctly...just a whole mess.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Ugh I don’t like the REAL ID. It didn’t get explained nor taught to people at the DMV correctly...just a whole mess.
I don’t think it got explained to anyone anywhere properly lol. I heard about it by chance. Then I looked into it and realized it’s something I won’t likely need, but whatever. And for something that probably won’t do much to change anything.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I don’t think it got explained to anyone anywhere properly lol. I heard about it by chance. Then I looked into it and realized it’s something I won’t likely need, but whatever. And for something that probably won’t do much to change anything.
:hello:
Here, there are a lot of radio ads for it and has shown up in the local news a lot.
However, it's pretty common here anyway because the enhanced drivers licenses are used to get across to Canada.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
:hello:
Here, there are a lot of radio ads for it and has shown up in the local news a lot.
However, it's pretty common here anyway because the enhanced drivers licenses are used to get across to Canada.
Come to think of it I haven’t had cable for 4 years so I haven’t watched cable news since then. Maybe that’s why. I do listen to the radio a lot though and haven’t really heard about it.

StayingPositive2017

Michigan State CVM c/o 2022
Aug 2, 2017
Woof Chat
Status
Veterinary Student

I feel you momma! Much love! You can do it!!!!:highfive:

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
If you plan on going on a plane you will. After a certain date, TSA won’t be accepting licenses that aren’t REAL ID compliant.
Other option is to get a passport and use that to fly. But that’s a more expensive option if you don’t already own one and is more expensive and time consuming to renew.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
If you plan on going on a plane you will. After a certain date, TSA won’t be accepting licenses that aren’t REAL ID compliant.
Other option is to get a passport and use that to fly. But that’s a more expensive option if you don’t already own one and is more expensive and time consuming to renew.
Luckily I already have a passport that I scrambled to get 5 minutes before he passport office closed a few years ago (that’s another rant for another day) I’ll probably end up just using that. And I don’t plan on going to any military bases any time soon so hopefully i won’t need a Real ID.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Luckily I already have a passport that I scrambled to get 5 minutes before he passport office closed a few years ago (that’s another rant for another day) I’ll probably end up just using that. And I don’t plan on going to any military bases any time soon so hopefully i won’t need a Real ID.
Still gotta renew every 10 years and is MUCH more costly to renew than a drivers license and takes 6-8 weeks.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Still gotta renew every 10 years and is MUCH more costly to renew than a drivers license and takes 6-8 weeks.
It is. But lucky for me I have a way of getting it renewed same day! Your point stands though, and I know I’m going to end up getting a Real ID. I just don’t want to.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Assimilate, citizen! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: genny

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
I have no idea what yall are talking about.

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
One of the things I miss about CO. Less than $30 and you get an enhanced license good for 3 years so $60 for 6 year. WA is $89 for 6 year for a non EDL. It's $113 if you buy an EDL for 6 years or $4/year if you want to upgrade after getting a normal license. I already have a passport so will probably just use that to fly come 2020 :(

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
That Enhanced ID is hella confusing. Just stick with one and make the EID the standard? I think Idaho has that too iirc.

Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
That Enhanced ID is hella confusing. Just stick with one and make the EID the standard? I think Idaho has that too iirc.
Pretty sure Idaho's REAL compliant ID is called a star card :laugh:

Reactions: Stroganoff