RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, both humans are in jail.

Members don't see this ad.

This isn't really a rant, but I have to get this off my chest someplace.

My cat, Susie is not doing so well. By the sounds of it, she's going to be put to sleep before I get a chance to get home in a week and a half to see her. We've had her since I was 15. She was a stray who wound up in a shelter. The shelter thinks she's 10, but the vet says she's older because of her teeth.

She used to be pretty chubby. In February, I convinced my parents to put her on grain-free food instead of the grocery store crap. Since then, she went from 11.1 pounds to 8.2 pounds. Mom thought she was getting too skinny and I told her to get her checked out. Her behavior changed... she became more lethargic and then one night she had a spell. They got her to the vet the next day and blookwork indicated high platelet counts, which means cancer. Her heart rate was irregular and they couldn't find any masses. Apparently she was so lethargic that she couldn't walk anywhere. Mom's been giving her ASA and she perked up quite a bit, but now, a week later, she's hissing when people pick her up and wobbling when she walks. It seems her spine is hurting her.

I live by myself and have nobody to talk to about this. I'm super busy with work, trying to get ready for my trip, collecting data for my honours project and studying for my GREs. My boyfriend is rarely around. I saw him last night which means the next time I"ll hear from him is Saturday. I have a hair appointment at 11am, have to spend time in the lab this afternoon and then I work 7pm-11:30am and all I want to do is just sit here and cry. I can't even sit around tomorrow and cry because I'm working 11am-4pm and then back in the lab I guess until the bus drives by at 9:30pm.

This sucks... I miss my baby. She used to sleep with me at nights and always sat with me during my depressive episodes in high school when I had no social life and my parents didn't understand me. Once she's gone, my family won't be getting any more animals. I really miss her when I"m here and now she's not going to be there when I get home. I wish I could go home this weekend but I don't know if my prof will understand me going home for my cat... plus I could use the extra 18 hours of work to make some money... 18 hours is all I'm getting a week now. Doesn't seem worth it.

Hey VeganSoprono and sunnyshine--one of the my shelter's volunteers saw a kitten being thrown out of a moving car and got the license plate #. The kitten is a bit messed up, but fortunately she was thrown onto a grassy embankmant and will be fine. Because the people in my county couldn't care less about animal welfare and animal cruelty, the police are essentially refusing to do anything about it.

scarcelyheard, that just sucks. I'm so sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a litter of puppies come in once that were rescued after the person was throwing them into the street one by one. The rescue group also managed to get a hold of the mother, thankfully. Only one puppy died.

I got bit by a cat today. She put her canine teeth through my pinky. :eek: As in, they met in the middle. And then I had to argue with the urgent care doctor to get her to give me a RX for Augmentin. She tried to send me away with topical abx ointment! TOPICAL! THE CAT BIT THROUGH MY FINGER! :uhno:

Hey VeganSoprono and sunnyshine--one of the my shelter's volunteers saw a kitten being thrown out of a moving car and got the license plate #. The kitten is a bit messed up, but fortunately she was thrown onto a grassy embankmant and will be fine. Because the people in my county couldn't care less about animal welfare and animal cruelty, the police are essentially refusing to do anything about it.

scarcelyheard, that just sucks. I'm so sorry.

Someone from my shelter found a litter of puppies abandoned by the side of the road. They brought them into the shelter and discovered the true stupidity of the human race--whomever left them had put them in a box that had the return address of the wrongdoer on the box! Really?!? We nailed his butt in court :-D

Scarcelyheard, I am so sorry that you are going through this right now, especially having to do it alone. Your post really got to me because I know exactly how you feel, my childhood cat started to get really sick while I was away at school. Luckily I was able to get home to him before he passed, but it was heart wrenching. I hope you are able to get home.

I got bit by a cat today. She put her canine teeth through my pinky. :eek: As in, they met in the middle. And then I had to argue with the urgent care doctor to get her to give me a RX for Augmentin. She tried to send me away with topical abx ointment! TOPICAL! THE CAT BIT THROUGH MY FINGER! :uhno:

Wow, that must be an Urgent Care protocol or something! When was bitten really bad by a cat, they sent me home with the same thing - a topical abx!! Luckily I knew some other doctors who put me on some oral abx.

Wow, that must be an Urgent Care protocol or something! When was bitten really bad by a cat, they sent me home with the same thing - a topical abx!! Luckily I knew some other doctors who put me on some oral abx.

I've never had a problem in the past - even saw this same Dr at this Urgent Care for a cat bite last year! I argued with her and insisted that she put me on oral abx, so that I don't need to be hospitalized when my pinky finger swells to the size of a banana in 2 days from the infection. :wtf:

One of the doctors that I work with ALWAYS tells us we know more about bite related injuries than most human doctors do. They don't see them a lot and aren't familiar with oral bacteria (especially in cats) so they don't REALLY know what to do. A lot of times you have to kind of sit on them and tell THEM what to do about it!

One of the doctors that I work with ALWAYS tells us we know more about bite related injuries than most human doctors do. They don't see them a lot and aren't familiar with oral bacteria (especially in cats) so they don't REALLY know what to do. A lot of times you have to kind of sit on them and tell THEM what to do about it!

So. True. Too bad I can't just write myself an RX for augmentin and be done with it. The really messed up part is that I've SEEN this Dr before for a cat bite. A year ago. And back then giving me abx was no prob. I wonder what on earth changed that we suddenly don't give abx for cat bites.

Honestly, I've been bitten by more cats than I'd care to count and local treatment has always been enough. I'm allergic to literally every antibiotic I've ever been exposed to so prophylactic abx are absolutely not an option for me - I'd risk sensitizing myself to yet another class of drugs and setting myself up for a potentially life-threatening situation without easy treatment options if I were to get a serious infection. It's kind of ironic that I grew up to be a professional wrangler of psychotic cats, considering this is just about the only line of work where this situation poses an actual liability! In a roundabout way, I think this has been good for me because it forces me to manage wounds aggressively. I scrub the living tar out of them, squeeze out as much blood as I can, flush if necessary (which hurts a lot so I only do it for really bad bites), and apply iodine multiple times a day until it's healed. If a localized infection starts to brew, I lance it and squeeze it and keep scrubbing. Thus far, I've never needed systemic abx for a bite wound and have managed to avoid systemic abx for the past 19 years with the exception of two days of an ill-fated course for an infection that turned out to be fungal rather than bacterial. It's not that I never get sick - I get as many routine illnesses as any other healthy young adult. But thus far I haven't had an illness that hasn't resolved without the use of antibiotics. This includes the time I got pertussis (human kennel cough!) in undergrad. It's led me to believe that I'm not extraordinary; rather, the circumstances where antibiotic therapy is necessary are extraordinary and pretty much limited to situations where a bacterial infection threatens life, limb, or long-term function. Most other things are easily handled by a healthy person with normal immune function.

Now, having said all that, I would never ignore signs of a systemic secondary infection such as inflamed lymph vessels or fever and I would never recommend that to anyone. I think a systemic infection from a cat bite absolutely requires antibiotics. I also think prophylactic antibiotics are probably a good idea for someone who is immunocompromised and in some other individual situations. But since prophylactic antibiotic use is a cause of antibiotic resistance, it seems wise to strictly limit prophylaxis to situations where someone would be seriously jeopardized if an infection were to occur. I know I have no reason to think that would be the case for me, so I'll save the antibiotics for actual systemic infections. For me, it's a little risk that will probably pay off in long-term benefits to my own health by saving drugs for when I really need them, and I guess it's my own little contribution to public health as well.

Susie is being put down in the morning.

And my honours supervisor wants me to go in and work on my snails... he's kind of taken over my project and then he started mentioning it to me and now I guess he's cutting me off.

Omg though.

I separated my snails. Then they started shedding parasites. I made notes on their behavior and pickled some in alcohol. Now he wants me to measure 200+ snails so we can release them or pickel them. So I do that, and while I'm doing that, he starts taking the parasites and trying to get pictures of them under the microscope. The entire time he's doing that, he's telling me that I should be doing it. Gah, I have a job, I have to rely on the crappy bus that runs once an hour until 5pm and once every three after 5, I only have one set of arms and I can't stop time. Measuring and getting pictures are both very time consuming. Getting mad at me because I can't do them both at the same time isn't going to solve anything.

I was under the impression that if we pickled them, we could go back whenever we wanted and get pictures under the scope. I guess that's not the case.

That probably made no sense, but I'm sending him an email telling him how I'm going to do the project.

Not exactly a rant, but have any of you run into people who actually legitimately say they DON'T LIKE / HATE animals?

My aunt is a chronic animal-hater. All sizes/ages/species across the board. She wouldn't even come in to the same room with a harmless little parakeet, even when said parakeet was locked in a cage.

Recently I was able to turn the tables on one of these animal-haters. I was at the OBGYN (sorry if this is TMI, but it's relevant).

Gyno: "So what do you do?"
Me: "I work in the veterinary teaching hospital."
Gyno: (Disgusted look) "OH. I could never work in a place like that. I can't stand the smell of animals."
Me: "That's ok, I don't think I could do your job either. I can't stand the smell of people." :D
Gyno: :confused:

Gotta love the irony of this, coming from a woman who makes her living by sticking her face in people's junk.

Gotta love the irony of this, coming from a woman who makes her living by sticking her face in people's junk.

That was a fantastic response! :thumbup: Nice work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Susie is being put down in the morning.

:( I'm sorry you don't get to say goodbye to her. I can't imagine how much more that hurts on top of her getting put down. I guess it is just best to think about the pain she won't have to endure anymore

my aunt is a chronic animal-hater. All sizes/ages/species across the board. She wouldn't even come in to the same room with a harmless little parakeet, even when said parakeet was locked in a cage.

Recently i was able to turn the tables on one of these animal-haters. I was at the obgyn (sorry if this is tmi, but it's relevant).

Gyno: "so what do you do?"
me: "i work in the veterinary teaching hospital."
gyno: (disgusted look) "oh. I could never work in a place like that. I can't stand the smell of animals."
me: "that's ok, i don't think i could do your job either. I can't stand the smell of people." :hungover:
gyno: :confused:

epic win!!!!

:( I'm sorry you don't get to say goodbye to her. I can't imagine how much more that hurts on top of her getting put down. I guess it is just best to think about the pain she won't have to endure anymore

Thanks. I'm trying! I ran into a friend of mine and we spent the evening together. I was there with her when her dog was put down so she knows what I'm going through. I didn't sleep well last night at all and every time I woke up, I realized what was going to happen and couldn't stop crying. I dreamed that she was screaming because she was in so much pain and it woke me up at 9:30, which is when her appointment was. The clinic cat came over to her cage and sat with her for a bit. The vet thinks a bloodclot went to one of her legs which is why she couldn't walk. Mom wants me to come up with something to put on her memorial plaque but I have no idea what. I'm super busy the next few days with thesis work and part-time work... all I want to do is lie around and relax... since this isn't really a rant, this is all I'm going to say about this here. Thanks guys :)

So I have a loft bed, because 1) my room is tiny and 2) I'm basically a 6 year old. It's actually pretty nice, real wood, sturdy and full size.

Here's the problem: At least once a week, I crack my head off of the frame. I have drawn a sophisticated schematic to illustrate the setup of my room and where I hit my head all the time when I try to stand up too fast from under it.

ouch.png

Last night I hit the back of my head so hard I fell down and then I slept with an ice pack under my pillowcase because it hurt and it still hurts and I think I am knocking all the smart out of my brain :(

Wicked MSPaint skills ITT.

Put a strip of pipe insulation over it. I had sharp, metal edges on my loft in my dorm and hitting my head on that was like having an anvil of spikes fall on my head. I put a tube of pipe insulation on it and zip-tied it to the frame. Worked like a charm. Went from a spiked anvil to being hit with a wiffle bat with an iron core.

My keys are in my apartment. I know this because I could not have accessed my apartment without said keys. I have not been able to find my keys for 24 hours. This means I am stranded in my little shoebox of an apartment. The only good thing is that I've gotten a good bit of cleaning done...

My keys are in my apartment. I know this because I could not have accessed my apartment without said keys. I have not been able to find my keys for 24 hours. This means I am stranded in my little shoebox of an apartment. The only good thing is that I've gotten a good bit of cleaning done...

They're in the fridge. Mine ALWAYS end up in the fridge.

Wicked MSPaint skills ITT.

Put a strip of pipe insulation over it. I had sharp, metal edges on my loft in my dorm and hitting my head on that was like having an anvil of spikes fall on my head. I put a tube of pipe insulation on it and zip-tied it to the frame. Worked like a charm. Went from a spiked anvil to being hit with a wiffle bat with an iron core.

Yep! I dunno if it's pipe insulation but you can get black foam that will kind of wrap around the frame so you don't knock yourself out anymore. :p it saved my head many-a-time.

I'd like to rant at myself. It's 6 days. 6 days and counting. Have I studied?? NOOOOOOOO. Have I made my powerpoint presentation?? Nooooooo. Have I packed for the move on Saturday?? well. sorta. but basically NO.

Why am I such a slacker?!

I know I'm a procrastinator. I always have been but I NEED to buckle down and study.

But then in the back of my mind I keep thinking "but you know they will pass you" because I KNOW they will but goddammit that's not enough! I want to do well! This is my work, my life for the past 6 years.

but here I am. frantically looking for something to distract me. Anything! SDN! Facebook! Lunch! Visiting people in other labs to talk about how stressed and busy I am! when really I'm not! I mean, I'm stressed, but I'm not all that busy. ok that's a lie, bc I mean I really am pretty busy. I'm trying to get publishable data, work on this seminar, study here and there. but god. it's. just. so. hard. to. motivate. I want to do anything but read these papers. blaaaaaaaaaaaah

So I'm pretty sure my cold is actually the flu. I feel exhausted, feverish, irritable, and just plain terrible. However, I still have chem lab 8-11am MWF and lecture from 11-12:30 M-F that I absolutely cannot miss. To make things extra wonderful, my GRE is this Saturday. I need to be feeling 100% for this GRE. Ugh :(

My 13 y.o lab mix has a torn CCL.

My mom took her to the vet office I used to work at (I'm in another state in school - and this kills me that she is hurt) because she had been limping and favoring her LR leg. He put her on Deramaxx and said recheck in 2 weeks if no better. Of course she had GI upset from the NSAID. And she didn't improve much.

Upon PE today, she is more swollen and more painful, despite walking a little better (odd right?). So, he's writing a Rx of tramadol so we can wait until I get home for break in 2 weeks. I just can't let her have surgery without me there. One of the vet assistants hates me and isn't the most attentive, and the vet who does the repairs loves to let the new grad (who, to put it nicely, isn't gifted with great surgical skills) perform his surgeries. I don't want his first CCL repair to be my dog.

Jamr0ckin, I completely understand your frustration...

My 10 y.o mutt tore his right rear CCL on Sunday night. Took him into the vet Monday morning and they confirmed my suspicions. He's on Previcox right now (or until he has more GI issues with it). To add to the fun, he's slowly developing Cushing's and his liver enzymes have been slowly but steadily becoming more and more elevated, making me very nervous about putting him under anesthesia unless it's absolutely necessary. :scared:

We learned in musculoskeletal diseases that CCL surgeries don't really help in the long-term. The dogs still get arthritis in their knees and they never regain full function of the knee. Of course, every vet I talk with has a different opinion on what I should do - some say always do the surgery; some say conservative treatment first and then surgery; some say only do the surgery on young, athletic dogs (which my 10 y.o "couch potato" is clearly not :D). Sigh - very frustrating and I feel like this :bang: whenever I talk with someone else....

Current plan is to keep him on NSAIDS for 2 weeks and then re-evaluate.

Good luck with yours :luck:

Jamr0ckin, I completely understand your frustration...

My 10 y.o mutt tore his right rear CCL on Sunday night. Took him into the vet Monday morning and they confirmed my suspicions. He's on Previcox right now (or until he has more GI issues with it). To add to the fun, he's slowly developing Cushing's and his liver enzymes have been slowly but steadily becoming more and more elevated, making me very nervous about putting him under anesthesia unless it's absolutely necessary. :scared:

We learned in musculoskeletal diseases that CCL surgeries don't really help in the long-term. The dogs still get arthritis in their knees and they never regain full function of the knee. Of course, every vet I talk with has a different opinion on what I should do - some say always do the surgery; some say conservative treatment first and then surgery; some say only do the surgery on young, athletic dogs (which my 10 y.o "couch potato" is clearly not :D). Sigh - very frustrating and I feel like this :bang: whenever I talk with someone else....

Current plan is to keep him on NSAIDS for 2 weeks and then re-evaluate.

Good luck with yours :luck:

I hear ya in the conflicting ideas. Part of me says not to do it because she is 13, but she is really active still, and she does have some DJD aleady. But I've seen dogs get more function in the leg after repairs, even at an old age, which makes me want to do it. She gets bloodwork done about every 6 months and she is very healthy for her age. So I'm not worried so much about the anesthesia.
Of course, the my biggest fear is my parents not following through with her special recovery needs. And of course, the hardwood floors that my dog has NO traction on. Ugh!

I hear ya in the conflicting ideas. Part of me says not to do it because she is 13, but she is really active still, and she does have some DJD aleady. But I've seen dogs get more function in the leg after repairs, even at an old age, which makes me want to do it. She gets bloodwork done about every 6 months and she is very healthy for her age. So I'm not worried so much about the anesthesia.
Of course, the my biggest fear is my parents not following through with her special recovery needs. And of course, the hardwood floors that my dog has NO traction on. Ugh!
Yep, I've seen the same thing too. Which makes me want to do the surgery but his bloodwork makes me not want to do surgery. aaahhh!!!!

So I have a loft bed, because 1) my room is tiny and 2) I'm basically a 6 year old. It's actually pretty nice, real wood, sturdy and full size.

Here's the problem: At least once a week, I crack my head off of the frame. I have drawn a sophisticated schematic to illustrate the setup of my room and where I hit my head all the time when I try to stand up too fast from under it.

ouch.png

Last night I hit the back of my head so hard I fell down and then I slept with an ice pack under my pillowcase because it hurt and it still hurts and I think I am knocking all the smart out of my brain :(

This, is simply awesome.

fml. airfare to go home for winter break is going to run me >$2000. that'll go well with my $10,000 living costs budget for the school year. :barf:

love the diagram btw, nyan!

Whoa...are you trying to fly to another country or something?

yeah, pretty much my entire family minus one brother live out of the continental US (sister in Hawaii, sister and unborn niece in japan, as well as eeeeeveryone else in japan). i'm lucky if i see all 5 of my immediate family members in the span of a year.

my bro is having his wedding reception in japan, my sister's baby is due mid-october, and my grandparents are aging fast... so i def want to make that trip out there. i won't have the luxury of being a student with long vacations for a looooong time (though i'll be just as broke)!

My boyfriend of 5 years just broke up with me because he didn't want to be apart for the 4 years i'll be in vet school...sucks

My boyfriend of 5 years just broke up with me because he didn't want to be apart for the 4 years i'll be in vet school...sucks

:eek: wtf he knew this may happen when you applied!! what a douche bag. i cant believe he didnt even want to TRY to work through it. this just means he is not the one and you will find someone better. For Sure! :love:

That's horrible!!! I'm so sorry to hear that :( If he's not willing to even try, then he's not the boy for you!

My boyfriend of two years is going to another university in September and he's willing to make it work. I think I kinda lucked out there.

Well he graduated a year earlier than I did, and he moved back home (Seattle) so we have already been apart for over a year (since I was in school in Alabama). I guess he couldn't do the long distance thing any longer...it's not like he didn't try. Sad since I figured he'd be proposing somewhat soon

Well he graduated a year earlier than I did, and he moved back home (Seattle) so we have already been apart for over a year (since I was in school in Alabama). I guess he couldn't do the long distance thing any longer...it's not like he didn't try. Sad since I figured he'd be proposing somewhat soon
Sorry it didn't work out for you guys but you are right, at least he tried. Although breaking up with you for going to vet school when he knew that was the plan all along still seems stupid. We are all here for you and good luck with classes, at least now you won't feel guilty about how you spend your time or not talking to him enough.

lupludw, I'm sorry to hear about your break up. i hope that everything works out in the long run for you and you find someone who deserves you.

My rant:

Why do people who spent $400+ two weeks ago on a back-yard-breeder puppy expect me to be sympathetic when they tell me that they don't have an extra $20 for the medication that's going to treat their new puppy's ringworm? Also, why is it so hard to understand that we can't just take your word that you're going to pay us next week or when you get your next paycheck? I think that most vets nowadays expect payment at the time of services rendered, right? In some cases, like when we know the clients really well because they're great clients, we can make an exception (this was only our second time seeing these people). However, so many people NEVER COME BACK! Apparently, even after explaining this, I still care more about the money than the pets' health. I dare the client to take a look at my paycheck and still make that statement.

Scarcely - i am really sorry about your loss. Luplodw - I'm sorry about your loss too, but do believe if he can't hack out 4 yrs LD relationship, you are better off. Marriage is no piece of cake.

My rant today: why do all pharm manufacturer's lie and call some otc meds 'non drowzy'? I've been drooling on myself and bobblehead for 2 days now. :yawn:

Ugh, luplodw i'm sorry. It's tough now, but you have so much else going for you!! Be strong and you'll find the right one. :) Long distance is hard, that's why my ex and I broke up too(and he and I are in some complicated who knows what mess right now ...but that is another rant in itself). Boys are so lame sometimes ... I think some major puppy snuggling is in order. :love:

Consider that most of the women in vet school are pretty much engaged (I have no idea if this is true, but roll with me), and most of the guys are single (again, poetic license), so that puts you in good stead to find someone who doesn't find putting your arm up a cows ass weird. Your dream guy, right?

That's about all the useful advice I have on this particular subject.

except I think there are only 3 guys that are single in my class (most are actually married or engaged) haha. Whatever maybe i'll end up a dog hoarder to make up for no man lol. Thanks for all the support guys! It really means a lot to me!

Upon PE today, she is more swollen and more painful, despite walking a little better (odd right?). So, he's writing a Rx of tramadol so we can wait until I get home for break in 2 weeks.

my 12 yr old arthritic dog is now on tramadol extended release (SID) which seems to work better than the regular tramadol. perhaps ask your vet about the former? good luck :)

my 12 yr old arthritic dog is now on tramadol extended release (SID) which seems to work better than the regular tramadol. perhaps ask your vet about the former? good luck :)

Thanks for the suggestion. When my mom calls tonight for our chat I'll see how Sugar is doing and if needed, have the vet write another script.

Today I had a coworker's cat in my patient census. She crashed and died on me late this morning. She was pretty much the sweetest cat ever. So I went out back and cried for a couple of minutes and came back just as a dog arrived who'd been hit by a motorcycle and whose vertebral column was completely luxated. We're talking lumbar vertebrae displaced about two inches ventral to thoracic vertebrae on rads. The client was absolutely hysterical, threatening suicide, throwing herself on the floor in tx...her fiance was being an absolute jerk to her...we called the police, something I've only seen happen a couple of times in the 3 years I've worked there. The cops showed up in full force, which was definitely overkill but still kind of crazy. And our client care folks ended up babysitting the couple's preschool-aged daughter through the whole thing. The doctor finally convinced the owner to euthanize, after a couple of hours of crazy drama. Then in the middle of this a 6-week-old kitten who'd had his head stepped on came in. He actually might end up okay, or at least reasonably so. He's non-visual but vitals were stable and no major skull fx were obvious on rads. Hopefully he'll be our happy ending.

I have to say I've gotten pretty good at not identifying with clients' grief. It's not an easy thing to do but it's necessary to keep you from actually grieving multiple deaths every day. But there's no separation when it's a friend's pet. This is okay and a necessary part of being human. But man, it sucks.

except I think there are only 3 guys that are single in my class (most are actually married or engaged) haha. Whatever maybe i'll end up a dog hoarder to make up for no man lol. Thanks for all the support guys! It really means a lot to me!

Any relationship ending is tough, so I definitely feel for ya. :( You are SURE to find the right guy and it might happen when you're least expecting it. Keep your chin up, keep smiling, and enjoy your first days of vet school. You've worked soooo hard to get to this point and don't let one guy bring you down. We're here for you!

And on a total side note, I have a single female friend in Cornell's vet program who was lamenting about the lack of guys. She and a few buddies actually participated in a speed-dating night between the vet, med, grad, and law schools. She went on a few dates, met some nice guys, and had a lot of fun. Hasn't met Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome yet, but she still enjoyed it. Maybe look into something similar at your place, or even spearhead something like it?

Today I had a coworker's cat in my patient census. She crashed and died on me late this morning. She was pretty much the sweetest cat ever. So I went out back and cried for a couple of minutes and came back just as a dog arrived who'd been hit by a motorcycle and whose vertebral column was completely luxated. We're talking lumbar vertebrae displaced about two inches ventral to thoracic vertebrae on rads. The client was absolutely hysterical, threatening suicide, throwing herself on the floor in tx...her fiance was being an absolute jerk to her...we called the police, something I've only seen happen a couple of times in the 3 years I've worked there. The cops showed up in full force, which was definitely overkill but still kind of crazy. And our client care folks ended up babysitting the couple's preschool-aged daughter through the whole thing. The doctor finally convinced the owner to euthanize, after a couple of hours of crazy drama. Then in the middle of this a 6-week-old kitten who'd had his head stepped on came in. He actually might end up okay, or at least reasonably so. He's non-visual but vitals were stable and no major skull fx were obvious on rads. Hopefully he'll be our happy ending.

I have to say I've gotten pretty good at not identifying with clients' grief. It's not an easy thing to do but it's necessary to keep you from actually grieving multiple deaths every day. But there's no separation when it's a friend's pet. This is okay and a necessary part of being human. But man, it sucks.
Wish I had something to say to make it easier but i don't. Just have to agree it was one tough day!

The Oatmeal is just a badass comic all around. Y'all should check out the others too.