RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My parking permit options seriously suck for the spring. Damn you, study abroad.

Members don't see this ad.

EL - You sound very stable in your thinking. So, PM me if you feel a need to get out at some point. I'm around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am beyond starving right now and it's oh....midnight. Eating right now will only result in me feeling like a complete failure with absolutely ZERO willpower the second I wake up tomorrow. I'm just gonna peek in the fridge..... :uhno:

I am beyond starving right now and it's oh....midnight. Eating right now will only result in me feeling like a complete failure with absolutely ZERO willpower the second I wake up tomorrow. I'm just gonna peek in the fridge..... :uhno:

Listen to your body! It's telling you it needs something! Instead of viewing eating at all as a failure, view making a healthy choice as a success! Drink some water, have a small glass of milk, eat a piece of fruit, munch on some carrots.

The ETS staff are STILL ON HOLIDAY.
I guess I will be cramming today and writing it blindly tomorrow.
Fml.
Note to self: don't get sick, don't get bogged down with doctors appointments, don't lose my confirmation number and don't schedule a test so close to a holiday because there is absolutely no way to get in contact with anyone from ETS or Prometric between December 22nd and January 2nd.
:bang:
On a positive note, at least the top 200 GRE words look familiar to me from when I crammed this summer.

The ETS staff are STILL ON HOLIDAY.
I guess I will be cramming today and writing it blindly tomorrow.
Fml.
Note to self: don't get sick, don't get bogged down with doctors appointments, don't lose my confirmation number and don't schedule a test so close to a holiday because there is absolutely no way to get in contact with anyone from ETS or Prometric between December 22nd and January 2nd.
:bang:
On a positive note, at least the top 200 GRE words look familiar to me from when I crammed this summer.

Sorry to hear. I know its frustrating and you feel like the whole world is working against you, but do the best you can. It's all you can do. Best of luck! :luck:

Trematoad - Would it maybe be better just to not take the test...just not show up and forfeit the money? Isn't it better maybe to not have a bad score, even if it costs you something? I think that's what I would do. I studied for months for the GRE and would never go in and take it without having studied. You can sign up for a later date. Am I missing something here?

Well, for my school, they take the highest score.
How does it work if you write it and agree not to have your scores sent in?
$200 is a LOT of money to waste. At least to me. Even though I am sick. And the commute is horrible.

Yeah, I do think several vet schools will take the higher score, but are you really only applying to ones that will? I think it's a waste of money to take a test you aren't prepared for just as well as taking it and deleting the scores. Why put yourself through the commute and the stress of the exam? It would feel so much better to sit there taking the exam feeling like you know what you're doing. Unless you're one of those genius standardized test-takers...then more power to you. If you're like me, just stay home, get on those Kaplan books and take it when you're ready. Good luck!

I am Canadian, so I am limited as to where I can apply. I can only apply to my provincial school. I am not a genius test-taker. Hence, try #3. The sad part is, even after studying the books for months prior to my other tests, I never felt ready.

I hate just not showing up. I wish there was something they could do for me. I DID try to call and reschedule. I didn't know they were going to close their offices prior to Christmas Eve and not open until well past New Years! Then again, it is my bad for losing the confirmation. Then again, they sent me the confirmation when it was too late for me to reschedule anyway. Why give me the 3 day warning when you are going to send me that email 2.75 days before I write the test?!
:mad:
Can I reschedule before my scores are due (end of February) or do I have to wait x number of days before I can reschedule?

I think you can reschedule for any time if you don't take the test tomorrow. If you take the test tomorrow, I think there is a period (3 months maybe) that you have to wait to retake it. This is what I recall, but you should get it straight from them tomorrow when they reopen.

I'm with Bisbee here. I know that $200 is a lot of money, but taking the test is an ordeal under the best circumstances, and taking it when you've been sick and feel unprepared isn't ideal. If you can re-schedule the test and spend a little more time preparing, it might work out better, even if it means it costs more.

If you take the test, you have to wait 60 days before re-taking it. As Bisbee mentioned, it's worth talking with Prometric to see if there's a waiting period for re-scheduling the test. If there's no waiting period, then you would be able to give yourself a few more weeks to prepare, and still make the February deadline. You really do want to give yourself the best opportunity possible to do well for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. :). It was silly for me to schedule it right after Christmas break. I originally had more time to study, but being in and out of the clinic and having an exam moved up gave me a lot less time to study. Right now, I am feeling kind of feverish. It kind of blows that it is so expensive to miss a test... ah well. That is my rant. I have a birthday coming up, which means money to re-write the GRE.

My uncle unexpectedly passed away last week and I won't be at the funeral, which is tomorrow, because I'm an idiot and never renewed my passport. So my parents are in Germany and my boyfriend and I are taking care of my 16.5 year old dog who needs constant care. So far, that is going well. She randomly starts barking at us. We have tried everything- giving her an extra dose of tramadol, refreshing her water, feeding her, giving her treats, taking her outside, petting her, etc. I hope she is okay. I think she just misses my Dad. She looks for him constantly.
I'm having female issues. Constant yeast infections. I went to the ER this weekend, only for the Dr. to tell me that I don't have a yeast infection, or any bacterial infection, but to take an abx to "see if it helps". Huh? Whatever. All other tests are negative. It's becoming a big problem and is leading to arguments with my boyfriend. I'm thinking about having my whole repro tract removed:rolleyes:.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. :). It was silly for me to schedule it right after Christmas break. I originally had more time to study, but being in and out of the clinic and having an exam moved up gave me a lot less time to study. Right now, I am feeling kind of feverish. It kind of blows that it is so expensive to miss a test... ah well. That is my rant. I have a birthday coming up, which means money to re-write the GRE.

hey Trematode this might be too late... but have you already cancelled/decided not to go? I was going to say that I would recommend going just for the experience if anything. You'll know exactly what to expect when you re-do it (if you even have to) and its no different really then just missing the test because you're still put $400! Anyways do what you will, but if I were you I'd just go and do it anyway to at least have that knowing of writing the test in a real test environment etc.

And what school in Canada needs the GRE?! or are you talking about MCAT?

best of luck, and feel better :p

My uncle unexpectedly passed away last week and I won't be at the funeral, which is tomorrow, because I'm an idiot and never renewed my passport. So my parents are in Germany and my boyfriend and I are taking care of my 16.5 year old dog who needs constant care. So far, that is going well. She randomly starts barking at us. We have tried everything- giving her an extra dose of tramadol, refreshing her water, feeding her, giving her treats, taking her outside, petting her, etc. I hope she is okay. I think she just misses my Dad. She looks for him constantly.
I'm having female issues. Constant yeast infections. I went to the ER this weekend, only for the Dr. to tell me that I don't have a yeast infection, or any bacterial infection, but to take an abx to "see if it helps". Huh? Whatever. All other tests are negative. It's becoming a big problem and is leading to arguments with my boyfriend. I'm thinking about having my whole repro tract removed:rolleyes:.

booo too all the sh*ttyness in your life... it always happens that way, but then the bright side it will pass :) its just one of those lulls and things will look up soon :)

hey Trematode this might be too late... but have you already cancelled/decided not to go? I was going to say that I would recommend going just for the experience if anything. You'll know exactly what to expect when you re-do it (if you even have to) and its no different really then just missing the test because you're still put $400! Anyways do what you will, but if I were you I'd just go and do it anyway to at least have that knowing of writing the test in a real test environment etc.

And what school in Canada needs the GRE?! or are you talking about MCAT?

best of luck, and feel better :p

All schools but Guelph require the GRE.
I am running a fever right now and super thirsty. Sticking me in a room for 4.5 hours with no kleenex, no water and no flu meds might not be the greatest idea. I know someone who did it. She bombed with like a 700 combined score. Scary!
Scores are due by the end of February for this application period. If I cancel and re-write it at the beginning of next month, I have a chance to up the score enough to get an interview. If I choose to write it now and do horrible, there goes my shot.
I don't know what calling them and complaining will do. But they should post their damn holiday hours ON THEIR WEBSITE. If stores in my piddly hometown are open on the 23rd, I was half expecting the call centers in the states to be open as well. Oops, my bad.

All schools but Guelph require the GRE.
I am running a fever right now and super thirsty. Sticking me in a room for 4.5 hours with no kleenex, no water and no flu meds might not be the greatest idea. I know someone who did it. She bombed with like a 700 combined score. Scary!
Scores are due by the end of February for this application period. If I cancel and re-write it at the beginning of next month, I have a chance to up the score enough to get an interview. If I choose to write it now and do horrible, there goes my shot.
I don't know what calling them and complaining will do. But they should post their damn holiday hours ON THEIR WEBSITE. If stores in my piddly hometown are open on the 23rd, I was half expecting the call centers in the states to be open as well. Oops, my bad.

lol clearly I'm a clueless Ontarioan! Anyways looks like you've pretty much figured it out... good luck with it though.... and drink some orange juice? ... and good luck with the GRE people... jerks! : /

Oh boy. I called Prometric. They told me to call Customer Care. I called Customer Care. It sent me back to the same person who told me to call Customer Care. So I chose some different options. Customer Care told me to call GRE. So I call GRE. The number to reschedule was an endless loop and would not connect me to someone. So I called again. Same endless loop. So I chose a different number. I need to fax them a doctors note in order to reschedule my exam (Where the heck do I go to FAX a document?!)

I hate going to the doctor's office when I am not dying. I end up feeling guilty. One year in undergrad, I missed two midterms due to a fever. I could not get to a doctor because the walk-in clinic was closed. I woke up the morning after my last test and I felt 75% better. I still had to waste 3 hours of my time to get a doctor's note.

Oh boy. I called Prometric. They told me to call Customer Care. I called Customer Care. It sent me back to the same person who told me to call Customer Care. So I chose some different options. Customer Care told me to call GRE. So I call GRE. The number to reschedule was an endless loop and would not connect me to someone. So I called again. Same endless loop. So I chose a different number. I need to fax them a doctors note in order to reschedule my exam (Where the heck do I go to FAX a document?!)

I hate going to the doctor's office when I am not dying. I end up feeling guilty. One year in undergrad, I missed two midterms due to a fever. I could not get to a doctor because the walk-in clinic was closed. I woke up the morning after my last test and I felt 75% better. I still had to waste 3 hours of my time to get a doctor's note.

A library or Fedex/Kinkos, and even UPS will fax things for you. Best of luck! at least they are allowing you to reschedule! :) Feel better!

Trematode - So glad you are going to reschedule instead of taking the GRE cold thus ruining your chances to take it again before your deadline. I think once you get all the red tape worked out with rescheduling all will work out well for you. You'll have weeks to study for the GRE and do much better than you would have had you taken it today. Rest up and study up!

If you have a scanner, but no fax machine, you can use this website to fax things... boyfriend uses it all the time for business-y things.

Personal rant: I hate my sensitive skin. I fell asleep with a (silver!) necklace in two nights ago, and my neck is still covered in red bumps and painfully itchy. And people wonder why I rarely wear jewelry...

Are you on birth control pills? My sister had chronic yeast infections when she was on one brand, and the doctor told her "either you're pregnant or you have AIDS"! She was more than a little freaked out and totally confused. Neither was correct, and the infections stopped when she switched pills. I've also had oral thrush from BCPs and another medication goofing up my hormones. Fun times.

you can also fax stuff at the post office... but the website mentioned above seems a lot less of a hassle.

Okay RANT:

HOW freaking hard is it to send a 2 sentence email to someone... for JEBUS' sake!! I had this interview about 2 weeks ago (dumb monkey job, not trying to impress anyone for my CV or vet school sake...) and that was a bit complicated but went well... long story short I was told I'd hear back in 48h.

No such luck... no biggie- xmas holidays, new year... i get it. So I e-mail for a follow up... call a few days later... nada. Some may think well its a case of "don't call us... we'll call you"... but during the interview dude said to e-mail any time with any questions or anything.

I must have e-mailed like 3 or 4 times and called at least 5. This is starting to sound like I'm a psycho... but this is over the course of about 2 weeks and now I'm just fuming! If the e-mail was read its simple enough to say "Sorry you didn't get the job." and leave it at that... for F*CKS sake!!

I'm just sooo effing frustrated because I've had so much trouble trying to find work. Just a simple stupid monkey job and back home I've never had a problem finding a job. I've come to my whits end basically wrote this hilarious cover letter at an attempt to grab someone's attention. Including the words: arse, idiot, backflip, awesome and dance pole. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I know we're all professionals here, but hey, I'm not trying to impress anyone... maybe just entertain someone and give them a laugh and hopefully my ticket in for an interview.

Note:
Please... no wise cracks about the pole dancing (DSMOODY *AHEM*) as a night career... I could seriously smack someone.

Last edited:
Note:
Please... no wise cracks about the pole dancing (DSMOODY *AHEM*) as a night career... I could seriously smack someone.

It doesn't just have to be a night career.

Incorporate some kind of snake into your act and you can also use it as animal experience.

SAYI010%20Two%20Birds%20One%20Stone2.jpg

Incorporate some kind of snake into your act and you can also use it as animal experience.
I would like to see that app!

Just think of all the animal experience from a cheeky magic act. Pigeons... bunny rabbits... etc.

We should start a "most unusual" animal experience listed thread.

Okay RANT:

I'm just sooo effing frustrated because I've had so much trouble trying to find work. Just a simple stupid monkey job and back home I've never had a problem finding a job. I've come to my whits end basically wrote this hilarious cover letter at an attempt to grab someone's attention. Including the words: arse, idiot, backflip, stupid and dance pole. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I know you are pretty much looking for anything as far as a job goes, but look at it as a good thing. I don't think I'd want to work for a place that is so unorganized or inconsiderate.

I know you are pretty much looking for anything as far as a job goes, but look at it as a good thing. I don't think I'd want to work for a place that is so unorganized or inconsiderate.

true true.... in the interview I asked about time off (since my parents want to come visit me from the complete opposite side of the world) and he said it has to be approved by managers across the country 4 months ahead of time... like *hello* that is NOT how backpackers work. The company seemed so big and corporate too... not really my kinda thing when at a vet clinic if you've got a problem you just leave a sticky note with happy faces on it on the practice manager's desk lol.

OMG!! THE F*CKING STAPLER IS BROKEN NOW!

I'm trying to get my resumes in order and yesterday the printer didn't work, so my lovely bf printed off a few for me at work... and my little stapler ran off. So roomate offered his... and nOW ITS FACKING BROKEN!!!!!

wtf is up with the universe and doing everything in its power to keep me job-less and hungry! :( !!!!!!

I've been in the lab since 530 this morning, and I still have another 3 hours to go, dealing with a sick animal, and am starving... :(
I just gotta keep reminding myself that I only have 5 more months of this PhD to go (except that still sounds like a lot)....:eek:

It's not Orveston PA is it? lol
Myah? Donde esta Orveston? I need my map....;)
We should start a "most unusual" animal experience listed thread.
Sea anemones!

Personal rant: I hate my sensitive skin. I fell asleep with a (silver!) necklace in two nights ago, and my neck is still covered in red bumps and painfully itchy. And people wonder why I rarely wear jewelry...
Owie. sensitive skin = :( I keep my room like an ice berg cause electric heat dries my skin out VERY badly.... sympathies, Trilt!

Thank you thank you thank you. COME ON VET SCHOOL! :xf::D
:luck::xf::luck: Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time, Emiloo4. do your best. alcoholism and even recovering alcoholics are tough. I hope you hear some good news very soon! :biglove:

minor rant: 2012 started off just fine. then last night....sigh. Oh life, you are twisted and ironic :hungover: Not a good sentiment for the rest of the week. Guess I just gotta tally up my losses and dust myself up? Yeah....:bang:

Myah? Donde esta Orveston? I need my map....;)

I don't even think its on a map lol. My uncle owns hunting property there and the town literally has two streets, "Front St" and "Back St" in the valley of a mountain range. They are all inbred (admittedly). They will introduce their spouse as.. "this is my husband and cousin, JuneBug." (YES, that's his neighbor's real name) lol, and the kids don't even go to school. It's actually very sad. I was apparently the first "real girl" (in their words) they had ever seen, and let me tell you, it was frightening! :eek:
Oh to live the simple life. Ignorance is bliss... I'd like to join them.

the town literally has two streets, "Front St" and "Back St" in the valley of a mountain range. They are all inbred (admittedly). They will introduce their spouse as.. "this is my husband and cousin, JuneBug." (YES, that's his neighbor's real name) lol, and the kids don't even go to school.

Speechless, but :laugh: at the same time. Front and Back Street? Really? :laugh: Awesome

By real girl, do they mean the only one not related to them?
Or has all that inbreeding resulted in a lack of..."real" girls?

When I read this and I saw "real girl", it made me shudder because of a show about obsessions that I saw on TLC a while back. Life-size silicone doll. That is all.

When I read this and I saw "real girl", it made me shudder because of a show about obsessions that I saw on TLC a while back. Life-size silicone doll. That is all.

haaaaaaaaaahahahahahhaa me too. my bf and i watched in horror for like an hour about the guy that was devastated that his doll broke and he had to ship it away to get fixed. and the dude who introduced his new gf to like his 5 dolls... and like the guy who heats up his doll so that it's body temp or whatev :barf:

haaaaaaaaaahahahahahhaa me too. my bf and i watched in horror for like an hour about the guy that was devastated that his doll broke and he had to ship it away to get fixed. and the dude who introduced his new gf to like his 5 dolls... and like the guy who heats up his doll so that it's body temp or whatev :barf:

Oh...my... Sounds like one of those things you don't want to see but you just can't turn away!

I am losing my mind.

So...trial horse failed his pre-purchase exam because he stepped on a rock with his back foot after his first flexion and trotted lame for the rest of the exam. (before this...he was hoof tested and did not respond at all....post-rock-steppage: positive on that foot). Clean on all flexions, good ears, eyes, nose and THEN she found swelling on his left front medial fetlock (which is embarrassing because I missed it. le sigh)....horse doesn't mind if it is poked at but is more resistant to allowing me to pick it out as long as the other one - negative flexion test, though. Called owner - she put back shoes on him today and the vet is willing to come back no charge to recheck in a couple days

So...still gonna have the vet come out and re check him. I can't explain how good of a mind this little 2 year old has. He has his baby moments, of course. However, he thinks about what he is doing, the biggest spook I've seen has been a stop and stare. He has been ridden/worked somewhere different every single day since he walked off the track 1.5 weeks ago and has taken everything in his stride with a goofy ol' personality.

Anyway, everyone on my facebook is telling me I'm being stupid and to just let him go regardless of whether he just bruised his foot. There are two people that I really respect in their opinions of horses and one is saying that "you don't find this mind often and if he is sound at recheck: take him, you'll be happy" and the other is saying "don't take your chances - cut your losses now".....

Obviously, I like the dumb horse and I'm letting it color my judgement so I'm frustrated and depressed and confused and so wish the horse could just have passed sound.

I've spent the last 2 days arguing with myself and I'm exhuasted. My heart wants him, my mind want him but is trying to be logical....someone please sedate me. Just thinking out loud. Don't mind the crazy one in the corner.

I've spent the last 2 days arguing with myself and I'm exhuasted. My heart wants him, my mind want him but is trying to be logical....someone please sedate me. Just thinking out loud. Don't mind the crazy one in the corner.

can i join you in the corner? only mine's about a boy, and your last 2 days sound like my last 4.5 years. the day the heart turns the brain into a co-conspirator is a less than fun one! best of luck though, what a tough situation!

LOVE DOLLS.

I heard about them on the radio, then had to YouTube it. Then was horrified, and so forced my boyfriend to watch so that I wouldn't be the only one.

We are both scarred for life.

I am losing my mind.

So...trial horse failed his pre-purchase exam because he stepped on a rock with his back foot after his first flexion and trotted lame for the rest of the exam. (before this...he was hoof tested and did not respond at all....post-rock-steppage: positive on that foot). Clean on all flexions, good ears, eyes, nose and THEN she found swelling on his left front medial fetlock (which is embarrassing because I missed it. le sigh)....horse doesn't mind if it is poked at but is more resistant to allowing me to pick it out as long as the other one - negative flexion test, though. Called owner - she put back shoes on him today and the vet is willing to come back no charge to recheck in a couple days

So...still gonna have the vet come out and re check him. I can't explain how good of a mind this little 2 year old has. He has his baby moments, of course. However, he thinks about what he is doing, the biggest spook I've seen has been a stop and stare. He has been ridden/worked somewhere different every single day since he walked off the track 1.5 weeks ago and has taken everything in his stride with a goofy ol' personality.

Anyway, everyone on my facebook is telling me I'm being stupid and to just let him go regardless of whether he just bruised his foot. There are two people that I really respect in their opinions of horses and one is saying that "you don't find this mind often and if he is sound at recheck: take him, you'll be happy" and the other is saying "don't take your chances - cut your losses now".....

Obviously, I like the dumb horse and I'm letting it color my judgement so I'm frustrated and depressed and confused and so wish the horse could just have passed sound.

First of all, calm DOWN until you get the recheck exam.

Second, remember that many horses fail PPEs, and it doesn't always mean anything. Especially in a young, healthy horse who is probably going to injure himself in the future. :D Seriously though. If he fails for a stone bruise or whatever, it's not a big deal like failing for bone chips in his knees would be. He's young, healthy, smart, sane, and you love him. Logic doesn't really always have a place with horse people.

First day back at work yesterday after 10 days off... walked out to my car and it read 8 DEGREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess winter is finally here. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :eek: and grumble grumble :mad:

Seconding jemappellejane's rant. Naturally, it waited until break was over before the temperature plummeted. Meaning I have an 8-block walk twice a day *and* I have no time to ski. :mad:

Agree about the frigid temps. Went to sleep with a scarf on last night. Not a good decision. Took nap with scarf on - better decision. I'm trying to fight the urge of walking around my house in a hat and mittens paired with present scarf. I thought it's be over the top with melodrama :laugh: