RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nah I won't even fill that out, vet schools are calling and visiting me, begging them to come to their schools.

Omnipotence must be nice

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Prob right. I could find Idaho on a map. Isn't nebraska one of those rectangles that looks the same as all the other rectangles
It's the rectangle right above the Kansas rectangle, which is roughly in the middle of the country. Not to be confused with the squares to the west.

First snowfall! I wish my boyfriend wasn't making the 6 hour drive in it (he came to visit me this weekend!), but it's so pretty!
Here, too! I'm spending the day snuggled up in bed with hot chocolate, fuzzy blankets, and Netflix... instead of studying like I should be. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prob right. I could find Idaho on a map. Isn't nebraska one of those rectangles that looks the same as all the other rectangles
It's the rectangle right above the Kansas rectangle, which is roughly in the middle of the country. Not to be confused with the squares to the west.

Sometimes I forget those states are there. Like there's a boundary at colorado, then nothing, then the country picks back up at kentucky/tennessee

Here, too! I'm spending the day snuggled up in bed with hot chocolate, fuzzy blankets, and Netflix... instead of studying like I should be. :p
I told myself I'll do exactly what you're doing later tonight :D

As someone who has lived in the midwestern US their entire life and has visited many of those "indiscernible" and forgotten rectangles, these comments make me sad. :(

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who has lived in the midwestern US their entire life and has visited many of those "indiscernible" and forgotten rectangles, these comments make me sad. :(
It's ok, I grew up in the country's penis

Reactions: 9 users

Educate us on what it's like to live in flyover country. What's there to do other than get drunk, shoot guns and tip cows?

I know there are other people here that can label all 50 states? I could do a reasonable job of Europe, North and South America too. Africa and all those damn islands gets hard.

I can identify a solid 35/50 states. The east coast trips me up, and the great lake states.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could do all 50 and the Canadian providences. I was good with South/ Central American, Europe, and most of Asia and Africa. None of the islands haha and all the countries around Georgia and Uzbekistan confused me

I can name all the countries of the world in about 10 minutes pretty reliably. For some reason that's the sort of thing I like to sit and learn, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
AP world history in high school we had to be able to name all the countries around the world and states in the US. Could still do all of it except Middle East countries with pretty good accuracy.

Wish all things stuck as well.... but for some reason I've never forgotten it.

I'm one of those people though that it takes quite a bit of repetition to get something which makes me a slower learner, but once I get it, it usually sticks pretty well.

I will fully admit that the really small states on the east coast tend to get me, but I feel pretty good about the rest. We had to learn all of Europe in high school for a holocaust studies class, and I also learned central and South America in my Spanish courses.
Oh but you get all sad about your square states :p

Reactions: 5 users
AP world history in high school we had to be able to name all the countries around the world and states in the US. Could still do all of it except Middle East countries with pretty good accuracy.

Wish all things stuck as well.... but for some reason I've never forgotten it.
Yup, we had to do the same. I always got tripped up in Eastern Europe. I could do maybe half of all of that now. I think if I had to label a map I could do all 50 states, though I might mix a few up.

Oh but you get all sad about your square states :p
Hey, at least the square states are relatively large-ish, which makes them easier to distinguish them from each other as opposed to the mishmash of tiny New England states! :p

This video makes me cringe so much, hahaha.

I think I could do most of the globe, except for small islands and central/southern Africa.

Thanks America for having conflicts everywhere for me to learn about.

Hey, at least the square states are relatively large-ish, which makes them easier to distinguish them from each other as opposed to the mishmash of tiny New England states! :p

This video makes me cringe so much, hahaha.

Ooorrrr they all look the same, so are therefore harder to distinguish ;)

I can def correctly point out all the states (tiny, square, whichever). Def NOT all countries, especially small ones. I had to learn all the state capitals in 5th grade too, but have forgotten most of them (oh, but there's an animaniacs song for that, isn't there?)

Reactions: 4 users
I lived in a little over a 5th of the states, so I think I could do all 50 without trouble... probably.

I can name all the capitals too, at least last time I checked a few years ago. (Hubby and I had a competition. He lost bad.)

I can def correctly point out all the states (tiny, square, whichever). Def NOT all countries, especially small ones. I had to learn all the state capitals in 5th grade too, but have forgotten most of them (oh, but there's an animaniacs song for that, isn't there?)

There's also a song about cheeses

I remember it starts "Baton Rouge, Louisiana, south of Helena, Montana, and Columbus is the capital of Ohio."

My favorite capital is Tallahassee. It sounds so cool and it's fun to say. And Olympia sounds like somewhere out of a myth.

When I was in fourth grade there was a test on the state capitals and I won a lava lamp for getting 100%
That's the best prize ever, wtf? Why can't I win a lava lamp for naming the skeletal system?

I know all 50 states and their capitals and all countries with most of their capitals. But lord help me remembering stuff for vet school. I just really like geography and cartography!

Reactions: 2 users
I grew up on hockey skates (dad grew up playing hockey in Chicago, can you blame him) and the last time I went skating, I wasn't paying attention and they gave me figure skates because 'it's company policy to not rent hockey skates to females'. I was bummed but forgot about the toe pick. I go to stop and hit that dang toe pick. I bit it. Hard. Haven't skated since that day, but still have nightmares about that toe pick.

This makes me unreasonably angry. I've been playing hockey since I was 4. If I was like at a public rink on vacation and didn't have my skates (lmao like this would happen) and someone handed me figure skates automatically because I'm female and then fed me a line like that I'd be hard pressed not to jam the toepick right into their dumb eye.

edit: there are other differences too. the blades on figure skates are much longer and thus the profile is drastically different, and then usually the hollow (which dictates the percentage of the blade that actually touches the ice along its length, or the "sharpness") is also usually different between the two.

Maybe it's my lack of experience considering where I'm from, but renting out different skates (at least, based strictly on gender) seems weird to me? the last time I went to a public rink was last year (the one at the mall in Houston, lol) and they just rented out the same big ugly blue plastic things to everyone (looked like hockey skates on the outside but must've had the figure-type blade/toe pick because i remember avoiding grazing it, more experienced people just brought their own skates). Back when I was a kid and lived in the Austin area I feel like the rink there also rented out the same skates to everyone, don't remember. Or maybe they had the figure type for general use and hockey for the kids actually there for practice.

This makes me unreasonably angry. I've been playing hockey since I was 4. If I was like at a public rink on vacation and didn't have my skates (lmao like this would happen) and someone handed me figure skates automatically because I'm female and then fed me a line like that I'd be hard pressed not to jam the toepick right into their dumb eye.

edit: there are other differences too. the blades on figure skates are much longer and thus the profile is drastically different, and then usually the hollow (which dictates the percentage of the blade that actually touches the ice along its length, or the "sharpness") is also usually different between the two.
I know. I was really upset about it. I haven't been skating in a couple years and so my old skates didn't fit anymore, so I haven't had a chance to get new skates. (I was also on a first date haha so I wasn't trying to cause a huge scene). That was my first time on figure skates so it was rough, but honestly I kind of like them more. Less strain on the ankles, easier to keep your balance. But I was still angry that they just assumed.

I agree with Ny, that line is utter bs. @cdoconn is there no women's hockey teams in your area? You can wear whatever skates you want, women play hockey in the Olympics and guys participate in Figure Skating there as well. I think that sets a pretty good precedent.

Ny, I was going for the most simple explanation on skates possible haha. Didn't think anyone cared enough for more. :p

Maybe it's my lack of experience considering where I'm from, but renting out different skates (at least, based strictly on gender) seems weird to me? the last time I went to a public rink was last year (the one at the mall in Houston, lol) and they just rented out the same big ugly blue plastic things to everyone (looked like hockey skates on the outside but must've had the figure-type blade/toe pick because i remember avoiding grazing it, more experienced people just brought their own skates). Back when I was a kid and lived in the Austin area I feel like the rink there also rented out the same skates to everyone, don't remember. Or maybe they had the figure type for general use and hockey for the kids actually there for practice.
The two types of skates are very different and for different purposes. I appreciate having both of the options. I would pay money to watch some of my figure skater friends try and do their routines in hockey skates. I also got the biggest laugh of my life watching my father during his first time in figure skates. He actually thought he was going to break his neck.

I took skating lessons for a little bit. I only tried hockey skates a few times and yeah, the balance and stuff is definitely different.

I asked because I knew guys and girls who wore both... and because I have been head butting gender stereotypes my whole life because I think it's funny. :smuggrin:

(Then again, if I wouldn't have wrestled all those guys twice my size, I might not have such a crappy back now. Some parts of physiology win.:yeahright:)

I agree with Ny, that line is utter bs. @cdoconn is there no women's hockey teams in your area? You can wear whatever skates you want, women play hockey in the Olympics and guys participate in Figure Skating there as well. I think that sets a pretty good precedent .
Hahaha so I currently live in Oklahoma and the closest resemblance of an arena is an hour and a half away. In my hometown/ around that area there were a couple or so teams in a league- but no women's league/ teams.

And yes @LadyOtheFarm I have headbutt gender stereotypes my life as well!! Woman power! Woo

The two types of skates are very different and for different purposes. I appreciate having both of the options. I would pay money to watch some of my figure skater friends try and do their routines in hockey skates. I also got the biggest laugh of my life watching my father during his first time in figure skates. He actually thought he was going to break his neck.

Haha, when I was younger (middle school-ish) and used to be a complete rink rat, a lot of my friends and my little sister were figure skaters. I learned how to do some of the jumps in hockey skates (never quite made a full axel but could do a waltz jump, salchow and loop as well as a lot of the spins haha) just because why not.

These are like the ugly plastic rental skates I was talking about (kinda huge pic, sorry). What is this even? The regulars around us who'd brought their own skates were wearing figure.
DSC_2896.jpg

For an actual rave: had my first final today for terminology/pharm calc (not actually a "real" final, but to evaluate our competency for pharm calculations). Teacher gave everyone their final grades privately as we turned in exams, and when I turned mine in she handed me my paper and whispered that I got the highest grade in the class [100] :biglove: now if only I could have that luck in A&P, lol.
Also one of my classmates made v nice little goody bags for everyone filled with GOOD chocolates (a lindt, peppermint bark, reeses) and fruit snacks/candy cane/cute cat pin. Ate everything but the cane for breakfast.

Reactions: 4 users
Haha, when I was younger (middle school-ish) and used to be a complete rink rat, a lot of my friends and my little sister were figure skaters. I learned how to do some of the jumps in hockey skates (never quite made a full axel but could do a waltz jump, salchow and loop as well as a lot of the spins haha) just because why not.
I'm impressed! I was never formally trained for figure skating but several of my friends were competitive and taught me some basics also back in middle school. I can't imagine even trying that in hockey skates lol. The second you shifted your balance forward the skate would slip from underneath you.
Wish I had kept up with it, I can't remember why I stopped lessons in the first place. Definitely have never been flexible enough to actually get good at it though.

• Today is the one year anniversary of me getting into vet school! (and me making this account to post about it lol)
  • Done with my first class of the semester! Five more to go.
  • Cocoa! Tea! Coffee! :biglove::biglove::biglove:
  • Eggnog! :biglove:
  • I'm making eggnog cupcakes and sugar cookies and no one can stop me

Reactions: 15 users
It's finally snowing in NW Minnesota!! :) Granted that it's supposed to be a blizzard but that's okay with me!

I just reposted my fosters on Craigslist and a local FB group today, and I already have someone interested in one of them! I hope this works out. :xf: We've been looking for homes since September now.

Reactions: 5 users
Hahaha so I currently live in Oklahoma and the closest resemblance of an arena is an hour and a half away. In my hometown/ around that area there were a couple or so teams in a league- but no women's league/ teams.

And yes @LadyOtheFarm I have headbutt gender stereotypes my life as well!! Woman power! Woo

There's at least one here and a couple in OKC, more than just a resemblance... lol.

Would it surprise you to know that they did an outdoor half rink in downtown Stilly one year? You paid to rent skates and they had drinks and food. It's always hard skating on a half rink because it's just going in a circle constantly. I think it was harder to manage than they thought and didn't make much money so they never did it again.

There's at least one here and a couple in OKC, more than just a resemblance... lol.

Would it surprise you to know that they did an outdoor half rink in downtown Stilly one year? You paid to rent skates and they had drinks and food. It's always hard skating on a half rink because it's just going in a circle constantly. I think it was harder to manage than they thought and didn't make much money so they never did it again.
oh that's a disappointment!! Where was it? (I'm trying to think of a place with land somewhat large enough). And yeah. Tulsa is essentially an hour and a half away because for some reason it's a guarantee that I'm going to get lost going to Tulsa even with GPS- last time I went to the airport, I somehow ended up downtown.