Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Re-apply with acceptance into inaugural class at DO school?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by SaltySprings, May 15, 2018 at 8:42 PM.

1. SaltySprings

Pre-Medical
    I know this question has been asked before. If this school was better established I would not be questioning taking this acceptance. 1 in the hand is 2 in the bush and all that.

I am trying to decide whether or not to reapply MD and DO this upcoming cycle, take a gap year or take an offer at a brand new school. I am extremely tempted to take it but do not know if it will limit me in the future. I hope to keep my options open for residency and am worried about matching as well as dealing with a potential lack of research and rotational opportunities associated with a brand new school. The pre-accreditation seems to be going well but is always at least slightly scary.

To everyone that may ask why I applied to a school I don't wish to attend, I applied because there was no secondary application. Having learned a bit more about the program I am second guessing it (mandatory attendance, dress code etc...).

Story:

I am a non trad career changer. Graduated undergrad in 2013, went and worked elsewhere for a few years and decided a career in medicine was what I wanted in 2015. I went back to school and did well in ochem, ochem lab, biochem, cell bio and genetics. I took the MCAT late in June 2017, thought I bombed, got my score back and decided I would apply. I was naive and didn't think a late/rushed app would hinder me all that much. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, but at this point I wish I would have skipped last cycle and done it right one time.

I completed secondaries at ~6 MD and 3 DO schools all pretty late in their respective cycles. Should have been far more but I didn't have time due to the late applications. Talking October and even into November/December for the MDs. I was offered 1 MD interview resulting in a middle of the pack waitlist spot at OHSU. I was offered 2 DO interviews (Touro-CA and New School) and was waitlisted at both and pulled from the waitlist at New School.

Stats:

3.1 Undergrad cGPA/sGPA (without Post Bacc)
    -Double Major General Science and Spanish
    3.95 DIY Post Bacc in the classes mentioned above 3 years post undergrad
    GPA AMCAS: cGPA 3.26/sGPA 3.18
    515 MCAT (131,127,129,128)

ECs last cycle:

72 hours volunteering on a medical mission to under-served country. helped clean and triage, got to scrub in, retract, suture etc..

1450 hours (~35 hr/week for 10 months) as a Cardiac Technician at a major hospital
    --Direct patient care performing studies and interacting with physicians/nurses.

55 Hours shadowing various fields

Prior work experience in other fields unrelated to medicine. Some of these are fairly unique.

Speak Spanish well

Updates for next cycle:

45 more volunteer hours on another medical mission to different underserved country. Similar experience although much harder work. Got to scrub in again and assist in ortho surgery (this was a blast and part of the reason I want to keep residency options as open as possible)

Almost twice as many clinical hours with better leadership experiences in my department.

Completed EMT course working towards National Registry

Volunteering at Local Food bank (in the works)

more shadowing hours (in the works)

better personal statement. Noticed a minor error in my PS after having proofread the thing 100 times too many after submitting.

More and potentially better Letters of Recommendation. Director of Cardiac department and another MD from the second mission.

Previous schools applied to:

MD:

UW (in Region)
    OHSU (Mission based)
    UNR
    U of U (in Region)
    U of A
    1 more can't remember

DO:

Touro-CA
    Touro-NV
    New School

I am seeking advice on how to proceed (take offer, reapply or gap year) from anyone willing to share it!
    Thanks for reading this long post.

#1 SaltySprings, May 15, 2018 at 8:42 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 10:03 AM
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SaltySprings

Pre-Medical
    I feel that if I apply very broadly I could potentially land an MD spot and probably a DO spot unless of course me not taking this acceptance is a death sentence for all DO schools.

#2 SaltySprings, May 15, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 10:03 AM
  4. frosted2

frosted2 C/O 2023 hopeful!

Pre-Medical, Other Health Professions Student
    GOD PEOPLE. TAKE THE FREAKING ACCEPTANCE OR DO. NOT. APPLY.

:punch::rage::punch::rage::punch::rage::punch::rage::punch::rage::punch::punch::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. SaltySprings

Pre-Medical
    Everyone says this and I mostly get it. In this case though I am unsure if it is in my best interest. I admit, I should have just waited a full cycle to apply probably and had this year be my first go around.

6. AlongTheMississippi

AlongTheMississippi Probationary Status
    Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    You didn't really apply to that many MD schools. Assuming your interview skills are good you should a good shot at an MD if that's what you're after.

You will definitely get DO interviews and acceptances another cycle.

Apply to more schools. I know it will be expensive but that's how it goes.

Again, if you're after MD, your stats should get you a good number of interviews. Interview skills is another layer of complexity. Only you know how would fare there if you're honest with yourself. Use the gap year to do something meaningful.

parslea likes this.
  7. SaltySprings

Pre-Medical
    So you suggest waiting an extra year to apply (entrance in 2020)? Or do you mean apply with the changes I have made to many more schools that I did not complete secondaries to?

If I did not complete secondaries to a school can that school see my old application?

8. AlongTheMississippi

Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    I don't know how that works i.e. if you submitted an app but didn't fill out a secondary. You can ask @Goro about that. I assumed you just applied to a low number of schools.

I am just saying that if you were to complete secondaries to ~25 schools you should get interviews to ~5 schools (at least) from which you will likely get AN acceptance. Just a numbers game based on your stats. That fact that you sent out your app may or may not change anything for your next cycle. I couldn't say anything about that though.

9. SaltySprings

Pre-Medical
    Gotcha. Yeah, I did apply to a low number of schools. I meant, will schools that I did not apply to at all have access to my last app?

10. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    By all means, turn down the acceptance, because you clearly don't want to be a doctor. I'd prefer your seat go to someone who wants it.
    Your MD list will be donations. Take your dad out for Father's Day instead.

Work on interview skills.

DO schools will not know automatically that you've turned down an acceptance, but many MD and DO schools ask if you've been accepted somewhere. Are you going to lie?

Promethean and CazadorFalconry like this.
  11. SaltySprings

Pre-Medical
    @Goro thanks for the reply. I've seen you say this to many people. I do want to be a doctor. In this case it is less about the "I missed out on my dream school and want to try again" mentality and more about what is legitimately best for my future career. Matriculating could be a big risk to take on an expensive pre-accredited DO school without federal loans, unsure clinical rotations and no historical residency match data. As stated before, it was not the best idea to apply last cycle. Moving forward I am trying to gauge how big this risk actually might be in terms of landing a residency in something like anesthesia. I do not know how to guage this without expressing some worry to the staff of this school which seems like a bad idea at this point. I will not lie on an application about whether or not I have been accepted somewhere but feel I could explain within reason why I did not matriculate.

I am also confused with your advice. MD list will be donations vs work on interview skills.

Do you personally think with my stats etc... I have no chance at mid low MD schools? I only submitted secondaries to 6 schools last year and they were all late.

12. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    I was harsh on you because I;m tired of these types of thread.
    I expect you to know what you're getting into. Why did you apply to a brand new school if you're familiar with the risks involved?
    Not all new schools are the same. I have have a higher regard for BCOM and UIW than I do for ICOM.

OOS public MD schools don't seem to be that good of a target for reinventors (except for UCSF). Rather, I recommend the following:
    Your state school
    BU
    Duke
    Columbia
    Case
    Mayo
    Pitt
    Hofstra
    Drexel
    Albany
    NYMC
    U Miami
    Rosy F
    EVMS
    Wake
    Dartmouth
    Tufts
    Netter
    Gtown
    GWU
    Any DO school, expect for my list of Bad Boys

Ruraldoc18 likes this.
  13. SaltySprings

Pre-Medical
    Really I applied because I am from the area and there was no secondary app (and it was a late deadline). I did not realize the many implications of actually applying to school. I was ill-informed last year for certain. Thanks for the list and the help.

14. Faha

Physician

Attending Physician
    You could also try the newer MD schools: Seton Hall, NOVA MD, California University, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan. Also apply broadly to at least 15 DO schools and apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

15. twospadz

You would be crazy to not take the acceptance. Every year medical school and residency is getting more competitive. To delay for another year, you really don't know what the future will hold.

Promethean likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. calivianya

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Your GPA is just really, really awful, tbh.

Reapply if you want, but I wouldn't bother applying to any MD schools. Reinvention only gets you so far - I had a >3.90 postbacc with a ~3.55 c/s cumulative GPA and a 515 MCAT, and that wasn't even good enough for MD schools.

18. AlexMack12

AlexMack12 I have no idea what I'm doing.

Medical Student
    The issue really comes down to, how will schools view your application once you report that you had a prior acceptance and you turned it down. I don’t disagree with your logic and reasoning; there are some valid concerns you bring up. However, for many schools, seeing that an applicant had an acceptance and turned it down is a red flag, and may negatively impact their decision to admit you.

There may be one exception- and I’m not an adcom, so please, if I’m wrong, someone weight in.
    You mentioned that you can’t use federal loans for tuition?
    If this is true, you could perhaps explain in a secondary why you turned down the one admission offer you had: absolute inability to pay due to high costs due to the school not accepting federal loans (and how you do not have the resources to pay out of pocket, or co-signers for private loans in the amount you would need to attend medical school). Even better if it wasn’t clear from the get-go that this school didn’t accept federal loans and you were only informed of this after you were offered admission.
    Note that this wouldn’t work if you simply reapplied because you COULD get federal loans but felt the school was too expensive, you didn’t want to take out THAT many loans, etc.
    Although your reasons for not wanting to go to this school (uncertainty about future career prospects, etc) are not invalid, I don’t think they’d get you very far with other schools, since their answer could easily be, “why didn’t you think of this before?”

Nonetheless, turning down the acceptance comes with its own risks. Even with the above explanation, schools may not be willing to look past your declined acceptance. Both of your options (take the acceptance vs reapply) have risks (unsure career prospects vs not getting another offer of admission), so it’s really up to you which risks you want to take.

Best of luck to you.

19. AlongTheMississippi

Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    That doesn't mean OP won't be good enough for MD programs. Definitely DO in another cycle.

I don't know anything about you and I am not judging but with 3.55 and 515 sounds like you may have had other things preventing an acceptance offer. As is always the case it's not just the GPA and MCAT score.

I think that if asked why didn't you matriculate when offered an acceptance if OP said "I applied a little late in the cycle and didn't have a clear path in my mind on which schools might bet the right fit for me and after some thought I didn't feel school X was going to be for me for reasons ABC". I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

In my mind it is no different from having 5 acceptances to multiple schools and selecting the school that is best suited for you. In this case it may span a few cycles rather than one cycle.

#17 AlongTheMississippi, May 19, 2018 at 12:09 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 1:35 PM
  20. TheVFibKid

Pre-Medical
    Take the ICOM acceptance. Late application or not, the fact that you did not even get an interview at UW as an Idaho resident does not bode well for you, as the non-Washington WWAMI states typically interview like 2/3 of their applicants.

You should have applied to Pacific Northwest, but that is water under the bridge. Your only shot next year will be getting into another DO school, and there is no DO school worth waiting a year for instead of going to ICOM now that would be willing to accept you if you apply having already turned down an acceptance. The better, more established DO programs (PCOM, DMU, ATSU, etc.) are almost certainly out of the question, so you'd be looking at something like NYIT-Arkansas or some other school that has only been around < 5 years in a best-case scenario. That's not worth waiting for in my opinion.