Recording of Lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacherman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions and I appreciate any responses.

1. Does your school audio/video recored all lectures?

2. Do you think this affects lecture attendance?

3. What school do you attend?

I go to Texas Tech and it is currently optional for lecturers to have their lectures audio taped, so I wanted to get a feel for what was going on elsewhere.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Does your school audio/video recored all lectures?
Yes (both audio and video)

Yes (only 1/3 of the class attends)

3. What school do you attend?
Nothing really.

My school records their lectures but does not make them available to students except in the library (via cassette tape) during scheduled lecture times???

Members don't see this ad :)
At PCOM, it is optional for lecturers to record lectures AND post powerpoint files.

Keep in mind that our professors do care about us learning the material so they do both: post the powerpoint file and record the lectures.

There have only been few instances where the lecturer didn't record the lecture because they were discussing actual patients (i.e. HIPAA).

My school records their lectures but does not make them available to students except in the library (via cassette tape) during scheduled lecture times???

Why are some schools so off the mark? As a pre-med I always thought that all schools are pretty much equal. After reading SDN I realized that some schools have some bad policies.

Why are some schools so off the mark? As a pre-med I always thought that all schools are pretty much equal. After reading SDN I realized that some schools have some bad policies.

It is really strange. Pre-meds, beware. Some schools have malignant policies regarding class attendance and the 21st century. A lot of old profs don't get that some students will always go to class and others will always learn better on their own, so they insecurely withhold resources to keep us there. But the good profs are never afraid to post the audio :) Seriously, make sure your future school actually has all the tech/resources you want. I made the assumption that since we had the ability to post podcasts, we would actually get reliable ones that I could depend on...but I'm currently dealing with chronic podcast "technical issues" that I'm not allowed to inquire about without sounding like an absentee. It's quite irritating because my tuition has essentially paid money for this technology, which was advertised to me, and now it's not being utilized on any sort of useable basis. Last week over 50% of my lectures ended up becoming "lost" somehow. wtf? :oops: And it's not even the profs, it's the IT people most of the time. And everyone knows to never ever piss off an IT person at your respective institution haha. Anyway, don't assume your school will do the obvious, confirm everything with actual students if possible.

Last edited:
It is really strange. Pre-meds, beware. Some schools have malignant policies regarding class attendance and the 21st century. A lot of old profs don't get that some students will always go to class and others will always learn better on their own. But the good profs are never afraid to post the audio :) Seriously, make sure your future school actually has all the tech/resources you want. I made the assumption that since we had the ability to post podcasts, we would actually get reliable ones that I could depend on...but I'm currently dealing with chronic podcast "technical issues" that I'm not allowed to inquire about without sounding like an absentee. It's quite irritating because my tuition has essentially paid money for this technology, which was advertised to me, and now it's not being utilized on any sort of useable basis. Last week over 50% of my lectures ended up becoming "lost" somehow. wtf? :oops:

That's terrible.
Pre-meds, just because a school has podcast ability doesn't mean it will be used. Ask the med students, not the faculty, about how reliable the podcasts are. Ask what % of professors allow their lectures to be posted.

1. Does your school audio/video record all lectures?
-They audio record and then line it up with the powerpoints
-Lately we've been having problems because they upgraded all the technology stuff in the lecture halls, so they've been having trouble getting the recordings.

-Yes, many people watch it on their own; it's nice to speed them up
-Personally, I still attend most lectures, because I don't like listening to recordings and not being able to see the professor. I realize it sounds weird, but being a visual learner, I do better when I can see the professor; The lectures I don't attend are ones where lecture is not helpful at all, so I don't attend and I don't listen to them online

Thanks for the responses everyone. Sorry, I meant to put optional next to school...I didn't mean to pry.

1. Yes. When you log on to view lectures, there are 2 frames in the window. The first one has the live video of the lecturer as he's being recorded in class. The second is a feed of the lecturer's monitor so you can see their Power Point (or whatever else they're looking at) as they lecture. (This is the same screen everyone else see's when they attend lecture.)

2. Yes, only half the class attends lecture.

3. Ross University.

:(

Ha. I was going to answer this and then realized Teacherman is in my class. :) Glad I looked at the poster first!

1. Yes. When you log on to view lectures, there are 2 frames in the window. The first one has the live video of the lecturer as he's being recorded in class. The second is a feed of the lecturer's monitor so you can see their Power Point (or whatever else they're looking at) as they lecture. (This is the same screen everyone else see's when they attend lecture.)

2. Yes, only half the class attends lecture.

3. Ross University.

:(

Why the sad face?

Ha. I was going to answer this and then realized Teacherman is in my class. :) Glad I looked at the poster first!

Why the sad face?

;) Yes, I should be researching cerebellar physiology rather than SDN, but oh well!