Reflections after one year of med school in the books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I messed around. But remember that everything is relative. I still worked hard, but I was typically not even close to my best. My messing around effort for my first year of med school would still be enough to get me mostly A's in any given year of undergrad. And yes, I passed everything easily, and I am in the top half of my class.

The traditional thing to do in your first summer off is whatever you want to do. If you don't think you'll need to have any research for what you're going into, and you have enough money in the bank to get by without working, then you should be fine with sitting around doing nothing all summer. If you're interested in some competitive programs, you might be better served by trying to do some research.

Personally, while I definitely like EM, I cannot say with 100-percent certainty that I won't change my mind later on. And I might also decide I want to train at a very competitive EM program, where it could be to my benefit to have some research on my CV. A couple projects sort of fell into my lap, and they looked interesting, so I jumped on them. In doing so, I am also getting almost 24/7 face time with the EM faculty of a program that I really like a lot. This can only help me, unless I make an ass out of myself or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Rock on TT. Good to see you doing well and tearing it up.

I'm getting pretty anxious.....

I am also getting almost 24/7 face time with the EM faculty of a program that I really like a lot. This can only help me, unless I make an ass out of myself or something.

Just remember not to "accidently" slip while standing around empty soda bottles...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was gardening naked at 3am. It happens to the best of us

Yes I messed around. But remember that everything is relative. I still worked hard, but I was typically not even close to my best. My messing around effort for my first year of med school would still be enough to get me mostly A's in any given year of undergrad. And yes, I passed everything easily, and I am in the top half of my class.

The traditional thing to do in your first summer off is whatever you want to do. If you don't think you'll need to have any research for what you're going into, and you have enough money in the bank to get by without working, then you should be fine with sitting around doing nothing all summer. If you're interested in some competitive programs, you might be better served by trying to do some research.

Personally, while I definitely like EM, I cannot say with 100-percent certainty that I won't change my mind later on. And I might also decide I want to train at a very competitive EM program, where it could be to my benefit to have some research on my CV. A couple projects sort of fell into my lap, and they looked interesting, so I jumped on them. In doing so, I am also getting almost 24/7 face time with the EM faculty of a program that I really like a lot. This can only help me, unless I make an ass out of myself or something.

I see, thanks for the input. This was a helpful post to give me a general idea of what to expect in my upcoming m1 year.

Hey man, what did you think about PCS course in your first semester? Is it a joke, annoyance, helpful, could be better, etc..?

oooh, thanks for the info. Trying to get the most bang for my buck. Did you purchase the BRS for most of your classes? They seem like a good way to study for the class while reviewing for the boards..do you see yourself going back to them later, like next year when you are studying for step 1? will you use a board review service like kaplan as well? so many questions :D

Don't purchase ANYTHING until you actually start classes. Look at the stuff your classmates have bought to see if it will help YOU first. Some people loved BRS Pharm, but I had a different way of studying. Would have been a total waste of money for me.

Board review is different at every school. Check with yours and see what THEY do. Ours paid to have people come in and teach us, they bought us review books, and they bought us Kaplan online review questions. Some schools do none of those.

PCS is fine. We had a very cool professor for it. Some of the lectures I liked more than others. It is pretty useful stuff though. Stuff you will use a lot later on, so its nice to be exposed to it early.

TT awesome post man!!! I loved reading every line of your post and the responses. I will be honest, I usually skim things and see what the important points are. I enjoyed reading this all the way line by line, and look forward to returning home to the States and finishing my Undergrad sciences and goin to Med School after being in the position I am in now. Have an awesome summer and an even better 2nd year! :):)

Hey man, what did you think about PCS course in your first semester? Is it a joke, annoyance, helpful, could be better, etc..?

PCS lecture can be boring at PCOM, however Dr. Morris is extremely entertaining. Its a nice break from the stressful day and you really don't need to study for lecture itself. The labs are super important as you learn how to perform a physical exam and take a history. The only stress of PCS is when you have a standardized patient (SP) near a test b/c you have to use your study time to prepare for the SP. Overall, PCS is really helpful for your 3rd and 4th rotations, but keeps you busy and makes you feel like you are getting some clinical exposure, even if it is acting.

Hey TT, outta curiosity are you getting any sort of stipend for the research you're doing, or are you just living off savings/loans for the summer?

Hey TT, outta curiosity are you getting any sort of stipend for the research you're doing, or are you just living off savings/loans for the summer?
I am making some money, but very little. And I was lucky to get that. But it does the trick.

I also had to borrow money from my mom for the first time in years.

I am making some money, but very little. And I was lucky to get that. But it does the trick.

I also had to borrow money from my mom for the first time in years.

At first glance I thought I saw "Turning Tricks".

But thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind TT, would you tell us how being in medical school has affected your family and social life? Did you miss any important events? How were your holidays?

My social life was the same as my classmates. Obviously not partying all the time or anything, but I made some great friends and we have fun.

I will say that people who aren't in med school will need to be very patient and understanding with you.

I haven't seen much of my family, but that's of my own doing. I just haven't had money to travel, mostly because of a car pament that is holding me back these days.

My social life was the same as my classmates. Obviously not partying all the time or anything, but I made some great friends and we have fun.

I will say that people who aren't in med school will need to be very patient and understanding with you.

I haven't seen much of my family, but that's of my own doing. I just haven't had money to travel, mostly because of a car pament that is holding me back these days.

Sorry to jump in but during the time your studying and all on average how much you estimate you spend? Snacks and all that I'm assuming you weren't at home that much because of constant studying. Just want a clue of how it is. :D

Usually I will get out of class, whenever that is, and go directly to the library to study. I will then spend the rest of the day, until no earlier than 9pm, and usually no later than 1am, either studying, or looking like I'm studying.

Occasionally I take a day off, but that is rare.

Another thing I forgot to reflect upon... The cafeteria food at Grady, at times (such as right now), can be surprisingly delicious.

Right now I am eating roast beef, some pretty tasty squash, and these little breaded veggie things.

Another thing I forgot to reflect upon... The cafeteria food at Grady, at times (such as right now), can be surprisingly delicious.

Right now I am eating roast beef, some pretty tasty squash, and these little breaded veggie things.

Why don't you send some over, ill pay for postage. :)

bump to the top, for some of the new applicants just getting on here

and 2nd year will go by even quicker for you...next thing you know you'll be takin Step 1

good luck on your second year

My question is, how do you maintain a steady income to pay for your car payments every month unless you work throughout med school, is that even possible? Do you have stocked up savings in the bank?

My question is, how do you maintain a steady income to pay for your car payments every month unless you work throughout med school, is that even possible? Do you have stocked up savings in the bank?

loanssssss