Reinvention Journey - looking for feedback!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstkeepswimming

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I'm currently working on reinventing my resume for medical school and am looking for advice on where to go from here. I have an idea of what I want to do but feedback is always appreciated and welcome. Due to my unfortunately bad grades in community college (and early undergrad at my 4 year), my cGPA and sGPA are being heavily dragged down. My CC grades are from 2011-2015 if that makes a difference (it's been a while since those grades).

I have been doing a DIY post-bacc (at a 4 year university) since Fall 2018 and have maintained a 4.0 (all upper div science classes) - taking 3 classes per quarter. This upward trend started in the summer before my senior year of college, so I've maintained a 4.0 from Summer 2017 until now. My MCAT is scheduled for this March and I've been studying hard for it, hoping to score well of course. I understand my MCAT score will be a significant part of my application. I've also been doing clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering. I should amass 280 clinical hours and about 70-90 hours of non-clinical hours by the end of this summer. I plan to continue doing these activities, as well as adding on shadowing.

Even after this upward trend, my cGPA is currently a 2.9 and sGPA is a 2.77. I have done the math, and it would take me about 13 more A's to get both my cGPA and my sGPA to slightly above a 3.0. This would take me about another year/year and a half or so to accomplish.

So, my plan for the rest of this year was to focus on the MCAT, and continue taking classes, adding as much to my GPA as possible. I was thinking about applying to a SMP program this cycle - like Georgetown, BU, Tufts etc. I believe in my ability to handle the workload, as I am a completely different student now than I was in the past. I believe my post-bacc exemplifies this. However, I would like the feedback of the users this forum. Is a SMP the right move here? I understand the difficulty of them and that it is a do or die situation, but I believe this is the best way for me to get into an MD program. I also understand that many of these SMP programs have a GPA cutoff at 3.0 - but many state that they do look at post-baccs and look favorably upon an upward trend. I believe with a good MCAT score, I have a decent shot at getting into these programs.

I have done a ton of reading on this forum, and there are so many helpful responses and insights. So in your opinions, what do you guys think my next move should be? I appreciate any and all help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you only interested in MD programs or are you open to DO programs as well?

I agree that an SMP might be your best move, but you have to be open to the idea of applying to DO schools as well, unless you can kill (520+) the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you only interested in MD programs or are you open to DO programs as well?
I would prefer MD programs (at least will give it my best shot) but I will be applying to DO programs as well so I don't shoot myself in the foot. Any suggestions for which programs I should look into? Thank you for your help!

I agree that an SMP might be your best move, but you have to be open to the idea of applying to DO schools as well, unless you can kill (520+) the MCAT.
Yeah I definitely will be applying to DO schools but I want to give MD schools my best shot. I'm hoping I can do that well on the MCAT! Thank you for your feedback.

I might be wrong on this but if you’re looking for MD then you might need to continue your post bac work to get your GPAs above a 3.0 and then complete a SMP.

I might be wrong on this but if you’re looking for MD then you might need to continue your post bac work to get your GPAs above a 3.0 and then complete a SMP.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing to avoid being screened out, but I'm not completely sure.