Rejected 2020 cycle, needing some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldielift

Reaction score
Hi!

I got rejected this application cycle, and it was my first time applying to PT school. I am hoping some of you could help me with a few questions.

1. In November, I got rejected from a school, both early and regular decision. Is it too late now to reach out to the school and ask why they rejected me and what I can do to improve my application for the next cycle? I'm scared of what they will think because I am reaching out months later after the rejection letter.

2. Does re-applying look bad to a school? Sounds silly, but I don't want to waste my time with the same school if they do not consider my application since they have already rejected me.

3. Should I get a PT-tech or rehab aide job to strengthen my application? Or could I get a job, such as an exercise physiologist, personal trainer, cardiologist tech, etc.? The pay for PT-tech is so low, and I would like to be able to bring a different allied health perspective into PT school.

4. Are my GPA's too low?
cGPA: 3.56
science GPA: 3.63
I can already tell you that my GRE is SUPER low...

5. Speaking of GRE, has anyone had a super comeback from their first-time scores vs. second-time scores? I am taking an in-person prep class to help my score!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How many schools did you apply to? How low were your GRE scores?

Hey man I'm right there with you! I applied to 9 schools. I got denied at 7 and waitlisted at 2. Super morale killing. Below are my stats and further below are my answers to your questions.

Univ: Sonoma State Univ
Associates in arts to transfer -Kinesiology
Bachelors of Science - Kinesiology (exercise science emphasis)
GPA: Overall 3.66, SSU last 2 years: 3.8
GRE: 158 Verbal, 150 Quant, 4.0 writing
hours 150 (1 in patient, 2 outpatient)
4 letters of rec (2 PT, 1 professor, one manager)

I prepped for interviews, sent thank you cards after, rsvp'd for everything and dotted my t's and crossed my i's. It should be noted that I got denied from CSU Fresno for not having abnormal psych and CSU Northridge for not having 200 hours of observation. So those were technical denials and not 'application isn't good enough' denials. I felt like I was competitive. CSU Sac state said I wasn't even in their top 100 though. Talk about a blow to self esteem.

1) Some of my schools said they would be happy to go over my application with me. So yes! Go ahead reach out, thank them for the opportunity to apply and ask what you can do better to improve.

2) I applied to University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA. They denied me obviously but said they look favorably upon reapplicants that show improvement in their application. So improve yourself and apply again. They love that ****. It shows them that you really want them. They want people that really want them.

3) YES AGAIN! I just quit my job of 2.5 years at a law office to get a PT aide job paying 4 dollars less an hour while also cutting down my hours worked per week by 25. I did this so I could at least get 15 hours a week of observation while getting paid something. 15 hours a week over 20-30 weeks will boost my hours by several hundred. That's a huge improvement in the application. Absolutely seek out these out. The way i got my PT aide job was by googling all the outpatient clinics in my COUNTY and blast emailing them "I just graduated, looking to gain experience... blah blah".

4) your GPA is a TINY bit on the low side. Strive for 3.6 or better in my opinion. Most people will have upwards of 3.6-4.0. If you can't take classes because you graduated focus elsewhere. Because that GPA isn't super bad.

Don't give up. It may take you longer to get into PT school than others but that is ok. Just work on improving your situation, your application, and aim for 1 thousand hours of observation time at a clinic and you are bound to get in.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I got rejected this application cycle, and it was my first time applying to PT school. I am hoping some of you could help me with a few questions.

1. In November, I got rejected from a school, both early and regular decision. Is it too late now to reach out to the school and ask why they rejected me and what I can do to improve my application for the next cycle? I'm scared of what they will think because I am reaching out months later after the rejection letter.

2. Does re-applying look bad to a school? Sounds silly, but I don't want to waste my time with the same school if they do not consider my application since they have already rejected me.

3. Should I get a PT-tech or rehab aide job to strengthen my application? Or could I get a job, such as an exercise physiologist, personal trainer, cardiologist tech, etc.? The pay for PT-tech is so low, and I would like to be able to bring a different allied health perspective into PT school.

4. Are my GPA's too low?

5. Speaking of GRE, has anyone had a super comeback from their first-time scores vs. second-time scores? I am taking an in-person prep class to help my score!

Thank you!

1) I emailed a school last week asking if they could look over my application and let me know what my weaknesses were and they said they can only do that in March once the application cycle is over, so you're probably not too late! (they rejected me in early December).

3) Personally, I think having a unique job in the allied health field would be a good thing since so many people have PT aide jobs and as long as you have a good amount of observations in different settings, I don't think a different job would be looked down upon.

5) I increased my score by only 7 points between the first and second times, but that was only like 3 months apart so I'm sure that studying for longer would definitely make that jump greater!

I applied to two schools last year and was rejected by both. This year I applied to 15. I’ve been rejected by 10, waitlisted by one, retracted my application from one, and I’ve yet to hear from 3. I know how tough it can be.

From last cycle to this cycle I graduated from undergrad and have spent the past two semesters retaking some courses I didn’t do as well in. Over the summer I was able to shadow in an acute care facility (I didn’t have those hours before, only outpatient) in addition to getting a job as a PT tech that I started in the fall. While these additional observation hours show that I’m interested in PT, a lot of schools have told me that if I don’t have the grades/GRE score that they won’t even look at anything else. So if I don’t get in this year, I decided to retake the GRE and retry just one more time.

my stats:
cGPA: 3.09
pGPA: 2.89-3.3 depending on the school
GRE: 148, 149, 3.5
hours: 40 outpatient, 40 acute care, 1000+ outpatient as a tech
LOR: 1 pt (clinic director where I’m a tech), 2 professors, my supervisor from the acute care facility (who’s an OT)

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely reapply!! Schools love to see that you’re determined. As for the job, I work as an aide right now and yes the pay is low but I have TONS of hours which I think really strengthened my application, on the other hand it could be beneficial having a different perspective with a different health care job. I took the GRE twice and I significantly improved my scores. The second time when studying, I practiced taking the exam instead of the content. The GRE is so stupid in my opinion, but it really helped doing practice exams over and over again, as well as reading up on how they actually score the exam. For example, reading other people’s writing portions and seeing why they got the scores they did (basically pleasing the scorers). Don’t give up there are tons of people that reapply and still become amazing physical therapists!!

Definitely reapply!! Schools love to see that you’re determined. As for the job, I work as an aide right now and yes the pay is low but I have TONS of hours which I think really strengthened my application, on the other hand it could be beneficial having a different perspective with a different health care job. I took the GRE twice and I significantly improved my scores. The second time when studying, I practiced taking the exam instead of the content. The GRE is so stupid in my opinion, but it really helped doing practice exams over and over again, as well as reading up on how they actually score the exam. For example, reading other people’s writing portions and seeing why they got the scores they did (basically pleasing the scorers). Don’t give up there are tons of people that reapply and still become amazing physical therapists!!

What service did you use for your GRE practice exams?

Hi!

4. Are my GPA's too low?

Thank you!
Hopefully I can provide some insight coming from someone who got in after 3 attempts.

1. I personally never asked any schools who rejected me what I can do to improve my application, mostly because I already knew what weaknesses I needed to address. However, I don’t see it as a bad idea to ask for feedback as long as you carefully read their instructions for doing so.

2. I applied 3 times to PT school. First attempt, I had 0 acceptances, 0 interview invites, and 0 waitlist considerations. Second attempt, I had 0 acceptances, 1 interview invite, and was placed on 4 waitlists that I never pulled off of. Third/current attempt, I got 2 acceptances, 6 interview invites, and got put on 2 waitlists. Reapplying is only bad if you don’t provide any improvements.

3. I’ve worked as a PT tech for 3 years. 2 years in outpatient ortho, and recently transitioned into acute care since last summer. The pay sucks ass, but there is no better way to get a solid letter of rec. Plus you learn so much more about the profession compared to just shadowing. It’s worth it.

4. My overall GPA is only 3.38 and my science GPA is barely 3.0 with a few retakes. Your GPAs are fine. Look for schools where your pre req GPA is strong (mine is 3.5-3.7 if they look at recent or best attempt if you retook classes) or look at last 60 hours instead of overall if it’s stronger (mine is close to 3.6). You’ll have to do some research and do some math to see where you’d be more competitive.

5. My GRE scores were less than spectacular and I hate the GRE and ETS with a burning passion. 146V, 152Q, 4.0AW were my best scores. Therefore, I don’t have much to say about it except practice, practice, practice. ETS prep materials are significantly better than others.

Feel free to DM me if you want to ask me anything. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be honest that my situation is much different, but reaching out to a school even now would be a good move. As far as jobs, I can offer what I'm looking into or trying that has important carry-overs: life coach, registered behavioral therapist, online ESL teacher... Personal trainer would be good, too. Don't limit yourself to aide positions-find interesting things that relate in tangential ways to PT skills or characteristics.

Hi!

4. Are my GPA's too low?

Thank you!

1. So a little background on me. I applied to one school and one school only and got in the first time around. As soon as I got the interview, I started reading a book specifically about PT school interviews, and the author mentioned emailing schools he was rejected from asking what he could do to improve. It wasn't his application, because his stats were good, so he determined it was his interview. Point being, yes, it is okay to email schools for feed back.

2. Re-applying actually looks good. I read re-applicants are weighed heavier than first-time applicants. It shows drive and desire, especially with the assumption you made improvements the second go around.

3. I had a job as a PT aide, but I left it for a higher paying job. Now I'm a personal trainer because it just pays more. It helps insofar as getting your hours, but they don't really care because then it wouldn't be fair on people who couldn't work those types of jobs due to needing more pay at the time for whatever reason. Granted, a lot of people ultimately will not work in PT school, but some might be saving up to help pay for part of it or whatever. You get what I'm saying. It really only matters if you're able to use it during the interview, and I didn't. I ended up using my experience as a personal trainer instead because I simply have more responsibilities, liabilities, and people's safety is in my hands.

4. Your GPA's are fine. Mine cGPA is a 3.63 and my pGPA is like a 3.9 something. My GRE was a 304. If I didn't get in, I was going to retake it, but thankfully I don't, so if your GRE is that or lower, I definitely would retake.

Hopefully I can provide some insight coming from someone who got in after 3 attempts.

1. I personally never asked any schools who rejected me what I can do to improve my application, mostly because I already knew what weaknesses I needed to address. However, I don’t see it as a bad idea to ask for feedback as long as you carefully read their instructions for doing so.

2. I applied 3 times to PT school. First attempt, I had 0 acceptances, 0 interview invites, and 0 waitlist considerations. Second attempt, I had 0 acceptances, 1 interview invite, and was placed on 4 waitlists that I never pulled off of. Third/current attempt, I got 2 acceptances, 6 interview invites, and got put on 2 waitlists. Reapplying is only bad if you don’t provide any improvements.

3. I’ve worked as a PT tech for 3 years. 2 years in outpatient ortho, and recently transitioned into acute care since last summer. The pay sucks ass, but there is no better way to get a solid letter of rec. Plus you learn so much more about the profession compared to just shadowing. It’s worth it.

4. My overall GPA is only 3.38 and my science GPA is barely 3.0 with a few retakes. Your GPAs are fine. Look for schools where your pre req GPA is strong (mine is 3.5-3.7 if they look at recent or best attempt if you retook classes) or look at last 60 hours instead of overall if it’s stronger (mine is close to 3.6). You’ll have to do some research and do some math to see where you’d be more competitive.

5. My GRE scores were less than spectacular and I hate the GRE and ETS with a burning passion. 146V, 152Q, 4.0AW were my best scores. Therefore, I don’t have much to say about it except practice, practice, practice. ETS prep materials are significantly better than others.

I attempted to DM you, but it appears for some reason the site will not let me. Do you have a privacy setting enabled?

Here is what I was going to say:
Hi there,
I saw your post on the thread about being denied this year. Thank you for sharing your story. I had a question-- do you mind sharing with me the schools you eventually did get accepted to?
I have a similar background with a higher pGPA or last 60 units GPA of a 3.5-7 (depending on retakes). I also have a low cGPA of 3.01. The two schools in my state that look at the last 60 units have put me low on their waitlists (Sacramento State and Samuel Merritt) so I am looking to branch out to other schools.

How many schools did you apply to? How low were your GRE scores?

I applied to two schools, I'm trying to stay in-state, public only, and not in the middle of nowhere. So my options are limited!

GRE Scores: 146V, 146Q, 3.0A (again very poor)

Members don't see this ad :)

How do you know if they look only at the last 60 hours?

I applied to two schools, I'm trying to stay in-state, public only, and not in the middle of nowhere. So my options are limited!

Have you tried applying to the university of st. augustine? Minimum of 294 for GRE, but it's not a hard and fast requirement. In fact, because your GPA is above their average, you may get away with your low GRE.

Have you tried applying to the university of st. augustine? Minimum of 294 for GRE, but it's not a hard and fast requirement. In fact, because your GPA is above their average, you may get away with your low GRE.

Unfortunately, it's not in-state for me and it's private too :(

Out of state is every bit as expensive as private... You are kind of boxing yourself in here with an application that isn't terribly strong. Maybe you could think about options like REPAYE with loan forgiveness or PSLF. You are really hurting your chances of getting in no matter how strong your application is when you only apply to public in-state schools.

It's always up to you, but just personally I found that the loan forgiveness options were a good fit for me.

Reactions: 2 users

You’re going to have to open your mind. My old co worker (aide, California) got into a DPT Program in Nebraska (Creighton? spelling matter be off) with Stats like that, and the other with a higher GRE got into St. Augustine.

Hi!

4. Are my GPA's too low?

Thank you!

1. Definitely reach out to see what you can do to strengthen your application! This is information they should be willing to give you now, or within the next few months when all application stuff has concluded for the year. There is no harm in asking, AND it is information you need to know!

2. Reapplying does NOT look bad! The opposite, in fact. I feel like in some places you have to "play the game". They want to see that you have genuine interest in their school. Especially if it is a program you wish to attend - definitely reapply next cycle!!

3. Yes. yes yes yes!! I was already in the working world and years out of undergrad when I got a job as an aide. For me, it was never about the money, it was about the experience - which gives you awesome hours, as well as the fact you're getting paid for it (yes, very low) instead of volunteer or straight up shadow. So I'd think of it in terms of that: it's for the experience AND you're getting paid for the experience. I work many jobs, so adding an aide position in was workable. I'd look at your current schedule and see where you could fit something in. Some clinics allow work on the weekends too, if that's an issue. Doing the basic work as a PT aide gives you a better idea of aspects of the job. I think you should definitely look into it (or even a couple of clinics). Plus, the observation hours rack up. I had over 2000 hours in my clinic alone, 600 hours of PT scribe work, and 60 hours at a separate in-patient clinic!

4. Since you have a low GRE score, I would suggest for sure taking it again. Though a lot of programs look at an application holistically, the GRE is still important. I also took a GRE prep course at the University in my town - so it's great that you have signed up for one!!! It is so helpful to teach you the tips and tricks on how to get better scores on the GRE.

Look into additional opportunities!! Volunteering, research, experience. I'd dedicate the next part of the year into really adding things into your life that will make your application pop! They want a well-rounded candidate!

Most importantly: don't give up!! I was waitlisted my first application cycle (I only applied to the University in my city), and wasn't accepted last year. I was initially very upset because honestly I thought I had it in the bag. I reapplied this year and got in, without being waitlisted (like I said... you have to play the game). But looking back, I'm actually quite fine with the fact that I wasn't accepted the first time around (though it was devastating for me in the moment). It gave me a better view of what I wanted to do, and where I wanted to go. It allowed me to explore other opportunities, and other programs and realize that the program I got into, was 100% the one that fit me best.

I'm going to be working since I'll be in their flex program. My hope is to be able to save up enough that I can pay down at least 20,000 bucks when I get out. I'm also not carrying any debt from undergrad. At the time, my options were even more limited than yours because I'm married and didn't want to risk my marriage, and I also needed to work. Now my husband is a trucker due to limited career options for himself (if I had known he was going to do this, I would have also applied to schools in Utah), but I got in the first time, so St. Augustine it is. Hang out in the pharmacy forums. That will give you some really good perspective, and then the debt will be no big deal. But as everyone has said, you can't limit yourself to in-state options.

A piece of advice I was given from a chair of a program I visited before applying; Make sure your essay answers the PT question! She said it would seriously detract from an application if the essay didn't address the prompt directly. So that's something to keep in mind too! Utilize your essay to showcase who you are and what strengths you have that can't be conveyed in your numbers.

1. No, not late at all! It is a VERY good idea to reach out and ask schools to review your application with you and their suggestions on what you can improve.

2. Does not look bad at all! I got rejected by 1 school without an interview during the 1st cycle. I did asked them to review my application with me and their suggestions on how to improve it. I then re-applied, got an interview, got waitlisted, and finally got accepted by that school. It does make sense to re-apply IF you make changes in your application.

3. NO, don't waste your time and don't put yourself in a miserable financial situation. How many settings did you go to observe? If schools that rejected you suggest you to increase your observation hours or settings, just do extra 20h in 1-2 different settings - that would be much better than working 500-1000h in an outpatient ortho for $10/h.

4. NO, not low. Consider applying to less competitive schools and the ones that do not require GRE. Ask schools the average stats of students who got accepted this/last year and make sure you are close to their stats.

You should get in PT school if you pick the right schools, i.e. schools whose students have similar stats to yours.

Hi,

I’ve been in a similar position as you so I’d like to share my experience with you and hopefully you and everyone else who is in your position right now can derive some sort of value from it. Back in 2011, I had a cGPA of 2.54 and I had no aspirations to become anything in life. After visiting the local physical therapy clinic to rehab a knee injury, I got inspired to become a physical therapist. However, I legitimately thought it would an impossible endeavor. Nonetheless, two years later in 2013, I was working in a dead-end minimum wage job and I decided to move out of my hometown to enroll in a Kinesiology Pre-PT program at a school about 4 hours away from home. My cGPA was 2.67 at this time and I didn’t know whether I’d be able to do anything to overcome the deficit I had dug myself into.

The first year was a real struggle for me but I managed to do quite well in my classes. And so, I carried on. In my last semester as an undergrad, I was forced to move back home because I didn’t have money to pay for my rent. Instead, I took my last couple of required courses online and then I’d drive 4 hours every week to take a Biology lab that I needed to complete. I’d sleep in my car that night and then drive home the next morning. In the end, I ended up graduating Magna Cum Laude and managed to get about 150 hours of observation hours in an outpatient setting. I then applied for 2 PT programs and got swiftly denied. I then applied to a Master's program and got offered a graduate assistantship position. Halfway through my Master’s program I applied and got denied once again. Then, after finishing my Master’s program and my graduate assistantship, I applied for the 3rd time and I this time I had very high hopes that I’d get accepted somewhere. My application was the best it had ever been. I applied to 5 schools and got denied by all of them, not even one interview.

I started working at Walmart to make a living because apparently nobody cared that I had a Master’s degree. I had applied to a few jobs and was not chosen at any of them. I fell into a depression. Former professors and classmates would see me working at Walmart and they couldn’t believe I was there. I reached a point that I would do my best to avoid them whenever they came into the store.

The embarrassment and the possibility of accepting defeat ate me up inside. I then got an additional ~100 hours in acute care, ICU, and outpatient. I also started studying for the CSCS certification exam and eventually passed it and started working as a personal trainer. I saved up a bit of money and applied to 7 different schools on my 4th attempt. Slowly but surely, I got denied by 4 schools. My cGPA was barely at 3.21 despite having a 4.0 GPA in my master’s program. I then got offered an interview at one program but I failed at making a good impression and received a denial two weeks later. That left 2 schools. I got offered an interview at another program and although it had gone better than the first one, I was put on the waitlist. I was at a crossroads and I did not know if anyone would ever see what I saw in myself. To top it all off, my hours were drastically cut down at work. I had never felt more like a failure than during this time. Everything was crumbling and falling apart around me.

And then, one day when I was getting ready to train a client, I received an email from that school that I had been waitlisted at saying that I had been offered a seat in their program. I read the email a few times just to make sure that I had read it correctly and then I began to cry in disbelief. All the sacrifices, all the money invested, all the struggles, all the dark times that I had gone through had finally paid off. And, to make it that much more dramatic, I was offered a seat in the program that I always yearned to be in. It was the one program where I had always seen myself being a part of.

So let me tell you something; DON’T GIVE UP. If it is something that you really want then KEEP AT IT. Keep applying and keep working on bettering yourself in every way that you can. Get a few more hours in different settings, get some certifications, keep working on your essays, and retake a class or two if you feel like you need to. What I’ve learned in my journey is that perseverance trumps all. Keep finding ways to grow and become a better version of yourself. Best of luck to you and keep your head up, your day will come.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
Hi,

I’ve been in a similar position as you so I’d like to share my experience with you and hopefully you and everyone else who is in your position right now can derive some sort of value from it. Back in 2011, I had a cGPA of 2.54 and I had no aspirations to become anything in life. After visiting the local physical therapy clinic to rehab a knee injury, I got inspired to become a physical therapist. However, I legitimately thought it would an impossible endeavor. Nonetheless, two years later in 2013, I was working in a dead-end minimum wage job and I decided to move out of my hometown to enroll in a Kinesiology Pre-PT program at a school about 4 hours away from home. My cGPA was 2.67 at this time and I didn’t know whether I’d be able to do anything to overcome the deficit I had dug myself into.

The first year was a real struggle for me but I managed to do quite well in my classes. And so, I carried on. In my last semester as an undergrad, I was forced to move back home because I didn’t have money to pay for my rent. Instead, I took my last couple of required courses online and then I’d drive 4 hours every week to take a Biology lab that I needed to complete. I’d sleep in my car that night and then drive home the next morning. In the end, I ended up graduating Magna Cum Laude and managed to get about 150 hours of observation hours in an outpatient setting. I then applied for 2 PT programs and got swiftly denied. I then applied to a Master's program and got offered a graduate assistantship position. Halfway through my Master’s program I applied and got denied once again. Then, after finishing my Master’s program and my graduate assistantship, I applied for the 3rd time and I this time I had very high hopes that I’d get accepted somewhere. My application was the best it had ever been. I applied to 5 schools and got denied by all of them, not even one interview.

I started working at Walmart to make a living because apparently nobody cared that I had a Master’s degree. I had applied to a few jobs and was not chosen at any of them. I fell into a depression. Former professors and classmates would see me working at Walmart and they couldn’t believe I was there. I reached a point that I would do my best to avoid them whenever they came into the store.

The embarrassment and the possibility of accepting defeat ate me up inside. I then got an additional ~100 hours in acute care, ICU, and outpatient. I also started studying for the CSCS certification exam and eventually passed it and started working as a personal trainer. I saved up a bit of money and applied to 7 different schools on my 4th attempt. Slowly but surely, I got denied by 4 schools. My cGPA was barely at 3.21 despite having a 4.0 GPA in my master’s program. I then got offered an interview at one program but I failed at making a good impression and received a denial two weeks later. That left 2 schools. I got offered an interview at another program and although it had gone better than the first one, I was put on the waitlist. I was at a crossroads and I did not know if anyone would ever see what I saw in myself. To top it all off, my hours were drastically cut down at work. I had never felt more like a failure than during this time. Everything was crumbling and falling apart around me.

And then, one day when I was getting ready to train a client, I received an email from that school that I had been waitlisted at saying that I had been offered a seat in their program. I read the email a few times just to make sure that I had read it correctly and then I began to cry in disbelief. All the sacrifices, all the money invested, all the struggles, all the dark times that I had gone through had finally paid off. And, to make it that much more dramatic, I was offered a seat in the program that I always yearned to be in. It was the one program where I had always seen myself being a part of.

So let me tell you something; DON’T GIVE UP. If it is something that you really want then KEEP AT IT. Keep applying and keep working on bettering yourself in every way that you can. Get a few more hours in different settings, get some certifications, keep working on your essays, and retake a class or two if you feel like you need to. What I’ve learned in my journey is that perseverance trumps all. Keep finding ways to grow and become a better version of yourself. Best of luck to you and keep your head up, your day will come.
100% the craziest, most inspiring story I've read in a long time! They need to make a Lifetime movie of your life story, that's for sure.

So don't leave us hanging. Where did you end up attending?!

Way to go. You need to make it in to the next edition of Grit, at the very least!

Hi!

4. Are my GPA's too low?

Thank you!

1. I would HIGHLY recommend reaching out to someone who works as the admissions counselor/advice chair for the PT dept and speak with them how you’re better able to improve your application. This can be tough because different schools require different things, but if you’re wanting to go to a few specific schools I would reach out to those first. Meeting in person is always a show of effort and true interest. I met with 3 schools and was accepted into all. it was all over different time periods but I took each advice to heart and worked hard on those suggestions.
2. I don’t think reapplying makes a difference. Some schools do ask if you’re reapplying and how you have strengthened your application. If your GPA, GRE, observation hours increased I don’t see that as a bad thing.
3. each school has different out/inpatient hour requirements. I recommend researching the schools you want to attend and meet those first. It’s always nice to have an aide job because you get paid(!) and also get great first hand experience working with patients.
4. GPAs looks good, but like everything else in life, there’s always room for improvement.
5. I took my GREs twice and only improved by a few points. I feel like the GRE is moreso learn how they test vs the actual material...that’s just my opinion.
Good luck! Don’t give up if this is truly the profession you’re aiming for. Hard work pays off.

Hi guys,
So I saw this thread and wanted to ask a few questions since I saw some of these topics raised in here:
I want to apply to PT school but I kinda put myself in a very bad position by getting academically dismissed from my first semester of medical school. I have a Bachelor's in Biology with a cGPA of 3.47 and science GPA of around 3.1. Haven't taken the GRE yet and currently looking for a PT aid job to get more experience. Also have to go back and take Anatomy 1 and 2 for the first time.
I've been told that my stats are not so bad but I'll need to explain why I was dismissed in my personal statement/ essay. Anyway, I wanted to know how did you guys know which PT schools to apply to based on your stats and strength of your application. Schools have their minimum GPAs required to apply but that doesn't really tell me the average GPA of students they actually accept.
Do you guys have any tips on how I should narrow down which schools I apply to? Or any schools in mind that usually look at students with similar stats to mine?

Hey all, just wanted to throw out this tip I heard a while back. There are a few schools that are not a part of PTCAS, you will need to apply separately for those. They usually have less competition as you can imagine. When school searching I used this map, maybe it will be helpful. Yellow are non-participating.
There's very few but if you happen to be interested you might as well give it a shot.
Newly established programs are also usually low competition or more forgiving in terms of stats supposedly.