Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that the way it normally goes? Do the old schools w/ a new EM residency fill there positions with the best available candidates, even if that means accepting DO's/ FMG's at first? Then, later, do they tend to reject the DO's/ FMG's applications once they have graduated a few classes? Thanks.

It's really more of a management decision. If the administration is "old school" (ie, anti-DO and FMG), that won't change. However, in places where they take the best - regardless from where they're from - it doesn't have as much of an effect.

You mention a very good point - "best available candidates, even if that means accepting DO's/ FMG's at first" - that, indeed, you don't have to be a USMD to be the "best available". USMD's do have the edge, though - where you can be "less than the best available" (sometimes by far), but still get a spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I got my first rejection....Summa. I'm bummed. I've been reading these EM threads for the last few weeks and haven't had anything to post. I'm an IMG with average scores, but great grades and LORs. No interviews and one rejection...keeping my fingers crossed!

I have two letters of recommendation in already. My third was supposed to be in, but the letter writer informed me that while she is working on it, she has two in front of me and it will be next week before she can get around to it. I have a letter from a peds rotation in Israel I can use, but I am certain the PICU letter from Columbia will be better recieved by some programs. Should I wait on the letter or just submit what I have so programs do not dump me after the deadline?

BKN...any wisdom?

(PS: Thanks so much for the love...will be calling to schedule tomorrow.):love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two letters of recommendation in already. My third was supposed to be in, but the letter writer informed me that while she is working on it, she has two in front of me and it will be next week before she can get around to it. I have a letter from a peds rotation in Israel I can use, but I am certain the PICU letter from Columbia will be better recieved by some programs. Should I wait on the letter or just submit what I have so programs do not dump me after the deadline?

BKN...any wisdom?

(PS: Thanks so much for the love...will be calling to schedule tomorrow.):love:

You can use 4 letters per program, use them both.

You're welcome.

Got rejected from University of Kentucky this morning (at friggin' 7:30) :(

That's three interviews and two rejections for me.

Hoping it will pick up after Nov. 1st.

Anyone knows what it may mean when a program doesn't reject or invite? Could it be they're putting me on the back burner and seeing how many interviewers they get before sending out more rejections and invites? I know, I'm obsessing a little...and I should wait until mid-november. But does anyone know how the application process runs in most of these programs? Do they send invites periodically throughout the interview process or is it all at once?

Anyone knows what it may mean when a program doesn't reject or invite? Could it be they're putting me on the back burner and seeing how many interviewers they get before sending out more rejections and invites? I know, I'm obsessing a little...and I should wait until mid-november. But does anyone know how the application process runs in most of these programs? Do they send invites periodically throughout the interview process or is it all at once?

Read the thread, please.

Especially this post.

You can use 4 letters per program, use them both.

You're welcome.

Do you ever feel like the official 'forum Father'? If not, you should. Keeping us all from totally losing it, providing advise, etc.

Then again, you do post in the official +pad+ thread as well, so that's more "older-n-wiser-uncle" like.

Which might be a better description anyway.

Remember G'town is an olddddddddd school university. Even when I was interviewing here for a job, they said "We haven't had a DO here in 20 years." Even on my 3 month job eval, they mentioned the DO thing, so, they're just a little behind. Gimme some time to really infiltrate the system here and hopefully I'll change it.

For those interested, our only class, the class of... hmm, 2009, has all US MDs.

Q

I was wondering how long we could talk about you and G'town before you would come swooping in! Good to see you're still alive!

Do you ever feel like the official 'forum Father'? If not, you should. Keeping us all from totally losing it, providing advise, etc.

Then again, you do post in the official +pad+ thread as well, so that's more "older-n-wiser-uncle" like.

Which might be a better description anyway.

Afraid it might be more the grandpa.

Got rejected from University of Kentucky this morning (at friggin' 7:30) :(

That's three interviews and two rejections for me.

Hoping it will pick up after Nov. 1st.

WOOHOO! I got my 1st today as well. Rejection, that is. I was beginning to feel left out. U Kentucky as well! I feel a bond with you Roadie9! They weren't interested. Anyway, that makes 4 interviews and 1 solid "NO THANKS MAAM!" Two are from places at the top of my list coming into the interview season so I am pretty happy with that.

U Kentucky as well! I feel a bond with you Roadie9! They weren't interested.

:thumbup:

4 for 1 is good, especially if it's four programs you are really interested in. Congrats.

Rejected from Kentucky today, but interviews at a couple of ny programs

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up with this Kentucky crap. All these peeps getting rejected from there. I didn't apply there and I can't imagine many other people did......is it a good program? Even so it's in Kentucky!

Allegheny and South Florida rejections

6 invites 2 rejections

Might as well throw these into the pot as well:

Maine and Louisville, oh well - just got them this morning :(

3 interviews/2 rejections so far. Gotta get the average up, c'mon MMC :)

Louisville too!

Louisville is showing no love to the D.O. applicant. Go West Virginia!!!!
5 interviews/1 rejection

Again...I win...two rejections in like an hour :( Louisville and E. Virginia Ugg.
And this is the second time I got two in an hour....

I knew I was not a particularly strong applicant so I applied to a bunch of places....

I am now 14 invites to 5 rejections......

Again...I win...two rejections in like an hour :( Louisville and E. Virginia Ugg.

I knew I was not a particularly strong applicant so I applied to a bunch of places....

14 invites and 5 rejections is pretty good if you ask me...
better than having it the other way around...

well with with the NY Metrop mess up...it is now one less in the invite catagory

Go West Virginia!!!!
5 interviews/1 rejection

What WVU? No love from them coming my way! and they were a "safety" (not that there is such a thing in this crazy process-obviously)...
ah well-good luck!
streetdoc

Personally, I am a pitt fan not a louisville or wvu fan. However, I am a Big East fan and I hope one of those teams makes into the national title game.

First rejection today, from Maine. Bummed b/c I was really interested in their program and b/c 3 of my letter writers graduated from their program (!!!). Ah well...I wanted to go there, but there aren't any nearby fellowship programs for my SO. Bummer.

Maine, Louisville and East Virginia. 3 interviews, 5 rejections.

Wow, I thought I WAS a particularly strong applicant; 3 interviews, 1 rejection (maine). I am pretty sure it is bad Karma from the frogs I shot when I was 12 after I got a new BB gun. It always comes back...always...

First rejection from Maine today. Got a few invites to make up for it, though--Indy, Louisville, Akron (Summa).

Albany...oh well...

Maine

8 invertiews 3 rejections

What's the deal with Maine?
I too got rejected this am. Damn.
I am not a weak or strong applicant...above avergage I think (aren't we all?), though...
now seems like they are rejecting all types of applicants.
I didn't know Maine was that competitive!
ncc

I thought maine had a very nice rejection letter if that matter.

Drop Maine in the bucket..

I previosly had been rejected from UAB and Iowa...

and received my 3rd one today from Maine. 6 Interviews and 3 rejections.

For the record, my application had a 50% acceptance/rejection ratio....

Q

Thanks! Sometimes these rejections are a little hard to take. I like this string....it makes everyone feel better :)

rejected: albany and maryland

Thanks! Sometimes these rejections are a little hard to take. I like this string....it makes everyone feel better :)

I totally agree. :) So far, rejected from Georgetown, Maine, and Boston Med Center.

Got my first one today at Maine. Was hoping to visit up there too, but I have to say I have been very happy thus far with my surprising 14:1 ratio.

Add another to the reject list from Maine!

Three invitations so far.

lol :laugh:, I must be beating all of you in the rejection category!
3 interviews, 9 rejections..ick

EVMS, no love form my home-town.

I thought maine had a very nice rejection letter if that matter.

I second that.. I just wanted to give them a hug after reading it :)
All programs are reporting 500 applicants.. guess it's the same bunch applying everywhere.

Just got another ax from SUNY-Upstate...it snows too much up there anyway.

I second that.. I just wanted to give them a hug after reading it :)
All programs are reporting 500 applicants.. guess it's the same bunch applying everywhere.
I kind of wish that I applied up there just so that I could have gotten a nice rejection. :)

2 rejections today...Michigan and Mt Sinai in NY.

Stats are now 50/50. Three interviews, three rejections. I expect the odds to tilt considerably later in the week....:(

I glad to hear I'm not the only one who hasen't gotten much love yet. 2 invites, 0 rejections.

First rejection today from EVMS, no love from the home state....that's 4 and 1