Relevant rotations as a Neurology resident during PGY 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oraclemd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Out of these 5 rotations Rheumatology, ID, Hepatology, Endo and Nephro, is anyone more relevant to Neurology residency and ll help being a neurologist? I need to choose 3 out of these 5 during my PGY 1 intern year.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Nephro and ID would help you more than others in helping you manage your patients better. Electrolyte abnormalities are pretty common and a lot of stroke patients develop infections.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Rheum could be helpful if you're interested in autoimmune manifestatations, such as a neurosarcoidosis, neuro Behcet, vasculitis...

I think the most helpful rotations for neurology are the following: cardiology, ID, ICU, radiology, and rheum.

Neurovascular, which will be a majority of your PGY2 in most programs shares similar principles to cardiology, and ICU experience makes you a more competent medicine doctor, and teaches you to handle acute situations.

Infectious disease overlaps into every other field, and it is important to learn how to manage UTIs, PNA, and other common infectious. Plus, knowing how to manage medical issues will make your inpatient life so much easier.

Radiology (neuroradiology) is helpful for obvious reasons, but I would also learn how to read CXRs, KUBs, ultrasounds.

Rheum is good for reasons mentioned above. Good overlap with neurology, plus will give you experience in joint injections and immune-modulating drugs which you will use relatively frequently.

Not sure how much benefit heme onc would have, aside from maybe developing your communication skills and dealing with palliative/end of life issues.

Heme/Onc: neuro side effects of radiation/chemotherapy, brain/spine/peripheral nerve neoplasms, paraneoplastic disorders

We saw CNS and PNS neoplasms during neuro-onc. We saw paraneoplastic disorders on neuroimmunology, neuromuscular, and rheum since there is overlap with autoimmune etiologies. One of our neuro ID attendings had an interest paraneoplastic and autoimmune neuro disorders.