Repeat intern year and residency funding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DJ-OBG

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To the short of it, I was at PGY-1 in a categorical residency and had to leave due to some family crises. I left about 8-9 months into my intern year. I understand GME funding is not available or at least limited for repeating years of categorical programs. Does this extend to my circumstance, as I did not complete my first year and only had a bit over half a year experience? I plan on applying this upcoming cycle and would very much like to obtain a position in the same specialty.
 
It's complicated, and it's simple.

Complicated: You matched into an OB GYN residency, which is 4 years long. Therefore, you have 4 full years of funding. You have used 8-9 months. If you start a shorter residency program (i.e. IM or FP etc) then there are no issues at all. Should you start a 4 year program, you will be short some funding.

Simple: Funding is usually not a major issue in resident selection. The amount of the funding reduction is very small. This is not something to worry about.
 
For the 4 years funding, is it a continuous flow? or if I don't have residency in 4 years, I'm sol?
 
For the 4 years funding, is it a continuous flow? or if I don't have residency in 4 years, I'm sol?
You get 4 years of money. They don't have to be consecutive.

And the difference between 3 and 4 years is insignificant, so don't let this dissuade you from doing a 4 year residency going forward.