This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bench vs. Clinical

• Total voters

kprovost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently doing my masters and have the opportunity to do some research this summer. There are two programs that I'm interested in. One is a clinical / rural & community health research program working on Telemedicine and the other is bench research working with Pediatric Oncology.

I'm much more interested in the Rural/Community health research as my interests lie in primary care but I feel like Bench research is more advantageous to Medical Schools. Also, I'm a re-applicant and need something impressive.

Which would be better? To go with what I'm genuinely interested in? Or suffer with a micropipette to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

You should choose that which is more interesting to you, and the one that makes the best sense and tells the best story for who you have been and who you want to be. One summer of bench research in Peds Oncology, esp if you are not interested in basic science in your long term career, is worthless. Bench research can be incredibly slow and most students get very little done in one summer in a lab. You are much better off choosing the project that will excite you and light up your face when you hopefully get to describe it in your II's!

I know at this point you just want to get accepted, which is understandable, but you also want to get accepted by a place that is a good fit for you. I doubt any medical school who would otherwise reject you will select you just bc you did a summer of bench research.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm currently doing my masters and have the opportunity to do some research this summer. There are two programs that I'm interested in. One is a clinical / rural & community health research program working on Telemedicine and the other is bench research working with Pediatric Oncology.

I'm much more interested in the Rural/Community health research as my interests lie in primary care but I feel like Bench research is more advantageous to Medical Schools. Also, I'm a re-applicant and need something impressive.

Which would be better? To go with what I'm genuinely interested in? Or suffer with a micropipette to get in?

Do what you're more passionate about because that will be the best representation of your character to adcoms. I actually didn't do either bench or clinical research. I instead had papers published in various methods of improving university science education. As long as you can explain to adcoms how your research demonstrates that you have the qualities of a great doctor (Ex: Being able to teach others is a vital aspect in medicine, since physicians serve as educators to their patients), they'll be all in for it. That's just my two cents though! Hope this is helpful :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do what you're passionate about. If you have no preference then clinical is going to serve you better for a career in medicine (data compilation, improving your interactions with patients, etc.). I see no reason for basic unless you're actually interested in doing basic science research when you're a physician.

Reactions: 1 users