Research in Race Psychology, but also want to do Clinical work - Is this possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetinypie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently realized that I am extremely interested in doing race related psychological research. However, there's a part of me that also wants to practice clinical work, particularly geared towards minority racial groups. Is it possible to accomplish such a task? I feel as though doing this type of research would fit more under social psychology, but practicing obviously falls under clinical psychology. I appreciate any feedback and help.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. Are you open to research on say...health disparities across racial groups, the influence of race on treatment-seeking, strategies for adapting treatments for subgroups, etc.?

It will make life much easier if it has some sort of clinical bend to it. There are lots of people doing this type of work and many more that would likely be open to it even if not a primary thrust of their program.

Reactions: 1 users
Of course! Now, it depends on what you mean by 'race related psychological research' as Ollie points out above, but lots of us do so! If you're interested in a broader, macro-level perspective, I strongly encourage you to check out joint Clinical-Community or Clinical-Social Psychology PhD programs. Few exist, but the ones that do offer really great training opportunities (imho). Division 27 publishes a list of clinical-community and community focused clinical programs: http://scra27.org/what-we-do/educat...toral-programs-clinical-community-psychology/.

The above comments are great! Another suggestion is Counseling Psychology. You'll find as you look at many faculty now that most counseling psychology programs are open to studying issues of psychopathology that are traditionally thought of as more clinical, but due to the history of this specialty, there is a focus on diversity and minority-serving. When you look at universities, try to find faculty and universities that discuss missions of social justice and equity. Loyola University Chicago is a good start, their Counseling or Community psychology doctoral programs. If you'd like to PM me, we could also discuss my doctoral program. I study issues of access and utilization of care for underrepresented minority groups, cultural competency in clinical settings, and viewing/treating psychopathology using a liberation psychology framework.