All Branch Topic (ABT) Reserves as a gen surg resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdub2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising MS4 about to apply to civilian general surgery programs with the end goal of being a trauma/CC surgeon. I elected against USUHS and HPSP so that I could have more options for residency training. Given that I don't have any military experience I am looking for some advice on a few things.

1) I won't be joining until after residency starts - any thoughts on when is best actually sign a contract and what should be discussed with residency programs during the application process would be incredibly helpful.

2) I'll be applying to programs that either require/"strongly encourage" research years during residency. Additionally, I'd like to pursue a trauma/CC fellowship. How is this non-clinical/additional training time viewed by the military? Are there mechanisms available to protect this time when signing on as a resident?

3) Though I understand once my name goes on the dotted line I'll be doing what I'm told, ideally I'd like to have opportunities to deploy as a part of an FST as opposed to a role 3 or stateside facility. Is there anything to be done in choosing: branch, reserves vs. guard, etc. to make this more likely?

4) Are there specific recruiters that I should seek out? Anything that I should be particularly insistent about or skeptical of when it comes time to sign a contract?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: