All Branch Topic (ABT) Reserves as a gen surg resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mdub2

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a rising MS4 about to apply to civilian general surgery programs with the end goal of being a trauma/CC surgeon. I elected against USUHS and HPSP so that I could have more options for residency training. Given that I don't have any military experience I am looking for some advice on a few things.

1) I won't be joining until after residency starts - any thoughts on when is best actually sign a contract and what should be discussed with residency programs during the application process would be incredibly helpful.

2) I'll be applying to programs that either require/"strongly encourage" research years during residency. Additionally, I'd like to pursue a trauma/CC fellowship. How is this non-clinical/additional training time viewed by the military? Are there mechanisms available to protect this time when signing on as a resident?

3) Though I understand once my name goes on the dotted line I'll be doing what I'm told, ideally I'd like to have opportunities to deploy as a part of an FST as opposed to a role 3 or stateside facility. Is there anything to be done in choosing: branch, reserves vs. guard, etc. to make this more likely?

4) Are there specific recruiters that I should seek out? Anything that I should be particularly insistent about or skeptical of when it comes time to sign a contract?

Thanks
 
Last edited: