Residencies at a big teaching hospital

Started by letjin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

letjin

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started looking for residency sites I am going to apply. How do you determine which site will be the most competitive/prestigious? I'm not choosing my site based on name value, but I want to avoid competing with overqualified candidates 😉

For example...in my area,
1 is at a large teaching hospital, which is one of the top-ranked hospital by US News & affiliated with a prestigious medical school, 2 are VA sites affiliated with my pharm school, and 3 are local 300-bed hospitals.

I am assuming the large teaching hospital will be most competitive?
 
I started looking for residency sites I am going to apply. How do you determine which site will be the most competitive/prestigious? I'm not choosing my site based on name value, but I want to avoid competing with overqualified candidates 😉

For example...in my area,
1 is at a large teaching hospital, which is one of the top-ranked hospital by US News & affiliated with a prestigious medical school, 2 are VA sites affiliated with my pharm school, and 3 are local 300-bed hospitals.

I am assuming the large teaching hospital will be most competitive?

Good assumption.
 
Good assumption.

Also remember to look for residencies where you feel like you can enjoy working for a whole year or two. Prestige doesn't matter as much if your personality and preferences are a bad match for that institution. Keep your mind open!