Residency Interview Suits and Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
It's a Rolex Sub in the original image you posted. Clear as day. Bond has worn the Sub in the past.

http://www.007museum.com/bondwatches.htm

yeah this picture looks like it might be a planet ocean

edit: looks like they were two different images. so techinically we're both right since I think the second one is a planet ocean.

edit 2: did they photoshop the second picture to get rid of the submariner and put a planet ocean it in?!

yeah this picture looks like it might be a planet ocean

edit: looks like they were two different images. so techinically we're both right since I think the second one is a planet ocean.

edit 2: did they photoshop the second picture to get rid of the submariner and put a planet ocean it in?!
Dude, give it up. You were wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's a Sub. Look at the url of the photo you posted: http://rubberb.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Daniel-Craig-wearing-a-Submariner.jpg

And compare the bezel of any watch you want to the one in that photo. Omega would never use that type of bezel because it's too close to the Sub's bezel which has the minute hash marks. Everything about it is clearly a Sub.

Other pictures you've posted were Omegas, but the first was clearly a Sub.

Reactions: 1 users
GWDS knows what he's talking about. Sorry that you never learned the basic conventions and that there's nothing but tradition in the "why" but that's just how it is. Blutchers are casual, metal bands are casual, no ****ing notch lapels on a tuxedo (that one is unforgivable). Why is a handshake the accepted standard for a greeting and goodbye? It just is.

And yes, it might be faux paus mostly to old dudes in their 60s drinking cognac....but who's interviewing you?

GWDS knows what he's talking about. Sorry that you never learned the basic conventions and that there's nothing but tradition in the "why" but that's just how it is. Blutchers are casual, metal bands are casual, no ******* notch lapels on a tuxedo (that one is unforgivable). Why is a handshake the accepted standard for a greeting and goodbye? It just is.

And yes, it might be faux paus mostly to old dudes in their 60s drinking cognac....but who's interviewing you?

That's a stretch. Maybe we should all start wearing 34mm diameter watches as they were once considered the ideal size? Times are changing, a 40mm watch was considered humongous, now its completely normal. Similarly, dressed down watches are becoming more accepted in formal occasions. I wouldn't go so far as to wear a nato strap at an interview, though.

That's a stretch. Maybe we should all start wearing 34mm diameter watches as they were once considered the ideal size? Times are changing, a 40mm watch was considered humongous, now its completely normal. Similarly, dressed down watches are becoming more accepted in formal occasions. I wouldn't go so far as to wear a nato strap at an interview, though.

I've never heard of an ideal size. That doesn't make sense since wrist sizes are so variable; as far as I know you just don't want an overly bulky watch. I could be wrong though.

I've never heard of an ideal size. That doesn't make sense since wrist sizes are so variable; as far as I know you just don't want an overly bulky watch. I could be wrong though.

well back then 40mm was considered bulky; now it is considered standard size for the majority of male wrists.

well back then 40mm was considered bulky; now it is considered standard size for the majority of male wrists.

Regardless, people who think traditional standards of professional dress are important are not uncommon and will likely be a part of the pool of people who interview residency applicants, and most people can learn these simple rules and follow them. It is highly unlikely that not following them will really hurt you, but considering the small details people on SDN get bent out of shape for, this is something easily done to present "the best version of yourself".

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless, people who think traditional standards of professional dress are important are not uncommon and will likely be a part of the pool of people who interview residency applicants, and most people can learn these simple rules and follow them. It is highly unlikely that not following them will really hurt you, but considering the small details people on SDN get bent out of shape for, this is something easily done to present "the best version of yourself".

I don't disagree. Actually, if I did choose to wear a watch to an interview I would probably put it on a brown leather faux-croc strap. I just take offense with certain people claiming they are unequivocally wrong about fashion style norms that are constantly in flux and evolving. I do think that a metal bracelet on a watch for a dress occasion is a super minute detail that no one would really care about. In addition, certain watches that are known for their versatility (think: rolex submariner, omega speedmaster professional) come in metal bracelets as a default, and I don't think anyone would look at those watches and be critical about the fact that they aren't on leather.

I don't disagree. Actually, if I did choose to wear a watch to an interview I would probably put it on a brown leather faux-croc strap. I just take offense with certain people claiming they are unequivocally wrong about fashion style norms that are constantly in flux and evolving. I do think that a metal bracelet on a watch for a dress occasion is a super minute detail that no one would really care about. In addition, certain watches that are known for their versatility (think: rolex submariner, omega speedmaster professional) come in metal bracelets as a default, and I don't think anyone would look at those watches and be critical about the fact that they aren't on leather.

yup.
so this means that my sparkly pink shoes and gym pants at work right now are totally fashion forward and appropriate....RIGHT?!?!?! :hilarious:

yup.
so this means that my sparkly pink shoes and gym pants at work right now are totally fashion forward and appropriate....RIGHT?!?!?! :hilarious:

well..only if you are a unique and special snowflake :D

You actually are wrong. If you look at all mens watches made before and during the Swiss Golden Age they are all almost under 38mm; the only ones that are over are sport/tool watches that had a specific purpose such as the Submariner. I have a 1969 Omega Constellation Calibre 751 and it measures just under 36mm. By today's standards it is 'small' but I think it looks a lot more elegant and proper than any 40mm+ being produced today and most watch aficionados would agree. There is a reason things are timeless and classic and unfortunately the current trend with larger mens watches is not something that I think is here to stay. A larger watch does not mean it is better even if you think it fits your wrist better (I have extremely large hands and still prefer classic watch sizes) So that is fine if you choose to wear large watches but just don't think that it is better for you than a smaller classic watch

You actually are wrong. If you look at all mens watches made before and during the Swiss Golden Age they are all almost under 38mm; the only ones that are over are sport/tool watches that had a specific purpose such as the Submariner. I have a 1969 Omega Constellation Calibre 751 and it measures just under 36mm. By today's standards it is 'small' but I think it looks a lot more elegant and proper than any 40mm+ being produced today and most watch aficionados would agree. There is a reason things are timeless and classic and unfortunately the current trend with larger mens watches is not something that I think is here to stay. A larger watch does not mean it is better even if you think it fits your wrist better (I have extremely large hands and still prefer classic watch sizes) So that is fine if you choose to wear large watches but just don't think that it is better for you than a smaller classic watch

I think you misinterpreted me. I dislike larger watches as well; I just haven't heard of an ideal size by formal convention; ie larger watches are more or less appropriate for an interview.

I was being sarcastic. Obviously, it looks great. It's not like he's wearing a Timex Ironman watch.
img56549919.jpg
Like Bill Clinton did while he was in office.

I'll repeat it again, as it seems the special snowflakes don't seem to hear it, but the watch issue is one of the much less important conventions of dress at hand. You can hold your breath until you are blue in the face, but it won't change the fact that the more correct thing to do is to wear a leather watch with a suit. That doesn't mean people necessarily look down upon you for it. I don't particularly care, as I don't expect most guys to own several watches these days. But like I've said before, if you're on this thread, you're likely interested in presenting yourself as well and correctly as possible. Don't shoot the messenger.

What are you talking about? He's not wrong. The first photo is absolutely and clearly to someone familiar with the watch in question a submariner. Daniel Craig owns and wears a Rolex submariner often. I don't think he has the same deal that Brosnan had, who always wore an Omega. Though they are used in the films and he obviously does print ads for them.
The watch pictured above without the timing bezel is the "Skyfall Aqua Terra" with a blue face.
Why would Craig wear a sub? It's iconic, Bond wears Rolex in the books, and the Rolex sub was the iconic Bond watch in several of the early movies that launched the 007 franchise. Why use omega now in the films? Because they pay for the product placement.
Why do I know this? Because I collect watches and have one or more of the above in my collection, and watch collectors know a great deal of useless things about watches. ;)
Bond also wore Seiko and Breitling. The Breitling is a cool and collectible chronograph modified to a diver.

Last edited:
I think you misinterpreted me. I dislike larger watches as well; I just haven't heard of an ideal size by formal convention; ie larger watches are more or less appropriate for an interview.
Oh I see. Yea, I would definitely say that if you wanted to be a true watch-snob I would say that there is definitely a rule to keep it under 40mm especially with formal dress, but lets be real most people you run into will not know the difference. But the one person that you do run into and they notice that you understand what a proper watch is, they might become your new best friend. When I was in my sophomore year of undergrad I was wearing my Omega and a random Dr. in the room pulled me aside and told me he noticed my high-dome crystal and we started talking about watches. Turns out he was the department head, and opened up a lot of new opportunities for me around the hospital. I still stay in contact with him and he will definitely be a useful reference in my future. Sorry for the tangent, just trying to point out that people do notice, and most of the time those that will notice, especially in the medical field/ hospital setting, seem to be those in important places. And the same goes with the rest of this thread, sure you can get away with not doing what is 'traditional/proper' and people will not create a fuss or penalize you, but if you take the extra time to educate yourself and show this, you will often be rewarded.

What are you talking about? He's not wrong. The first photo is absolutely and clearly to someone familiar with the watch in question a submariner. Daniel Craig owns and wears a Rolex submariner often.
Finally somebody who knows what they are talking about.
ubNf2dx.jpg

t9WR7Mb.jpg

If anybody gives me guff on my submariner wristwatch or my metal band, I tell them I am a professional scuba diver (truth) and they can go stuff it in their octopus.

Finally somebody who knows what they are talking about.
ubNf2dx.jpg

t9WR7Mb.jpg

If anybody gives me guff on my submariner wristwatch or my metal band, I tell them I am a professional scuba diver (truth) and they can go stuff it in their octopus.

Damn, nice Omega.

Reactions: 4 users
Hahahaha! :p

BTW, on my ipad, the Sub looks 'shopped. But Craig definitely wears a sub when he's off the clock, in addition to many others I'm sure.

yeah i figured one of them was shopped. doesn't make sense for them to be identical pictures with different watches

If you look like Daniel Craig, are wearing an expensive, impeccably well tailored suit, are responsible for the fate of a nation or the world, and may actually go diving at a moment's notice, you may wear a metal band to whatever occasion you please.

I know none of my interviews have involved disarming and killing a man with a machete, taking down a military helicopter, or shooting holes in the surface of a frozen lake to plunge in, fighting sometime in said frozen lake, then using a flare gun to find the way out of the same frozen lake before killing the kingpin of an international crime syndicate with a well thrown dagger in the back, so I wear an appropriate watch with a leather band. If I were doing any of those things, I'd probably opt for something a little sturdier.

Wait a second. Hold the phone!
He is wearing a suit and a metal bracelet watch.
And, he looks great.
:D

to be fair, daneil craig would look great even if he wore a flavor-flav clock on his wrist

to be fair, daneil craig would look great even if he wore a flavor-flav clock on his wrist
You're right. He could wear this watch and still make it look good.
Sponge-Bob-3D-children-wrist-watch-kid-toys-watch-Christmas-Gift-Xmas-Gift.jpg

this might be a really stupid question...but

for men: what is business casual? one of my program has a pre-interview dinner and they specifically said the dress code was business casual.

this might be a really stupid question...but

for men: what is business casual? one of my program has a pre-interview dinner and they specifically said the dress code was business casual.

decent slacks and a dress shirt with no tie I would imagine

you know, I want twin girls more than anything BUT it would be super cute to have a little boy and then dress him in tiny versions of his daddy's grown up clothes ie suits etc

I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed...the one too casual idiot in the room is always the one we gossip about. (Not calling you an idiot)