Residency Interview Suits and Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you would probably be okay with a button down, tbh. you'd likely end up taking off the blazer anyways

Shut up! Stop intruding on my advice parade >< >< ><

Members don't see this ad.

Shut up! Stop intruding on my advice parade >< >< ><

i meant...make sure to wear a tux with a shawl collar, not those ugly notched ones. also, beware of metal watch bands, they make you look like a hobo

Reactions: 1 user
this might be a really stupid question...but

for men: what is business casual? one of my program has a pre-interview dinner and they specifically said the dress code was business casual.
Business-Casual.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
Yuck. I mean I guess it gets the point across but the baggy double pleat pants and billowy shirt are about two decades out of style.

For business casual I'd recommend a nice wool pair of dress slacks (rather than a more casual "dockers" looking cotton khaki pant) and either a solid or a simple patterned dress shirt. Plus minus blazer/sportcoat.
Dockers are out of style now?

also, i have on pink green blue and purple anime-ish halloween makeup at work right now, im so professional i can hardly stand it

so what exactly is this night before social? i think we had something similar but not sure

It's pretty much a pre-interview dinner. All the applicants (some who bring their spouses) for the next day meet the night before to talk with the residents at the program. In theory, it's to find out more about the program and ask questions directly to the residents themselves. It's paid for by the department.

It's pretty much a pre-interview dinner. All the applicants (some who bring their spouses) for the next day meet the night before to talk with the residents at the program. In theory, it's to find out more about the program and ask questions directly to the residents themselves. It's paid for by the department.

hurray, im totally going to every single one with him. any excuse to dress up

hurray, im totally going to every single one with him. any excuse to dress up
It depends on the program as not all of them invite signficant others. They do it, bc it's a reality that many residents will have a spouse/fiancee so many times the decision will be jointly made when it comes to rank list time. Depending on the interview, it might be safe for you not to be there (i.e. residents like the spouse more than the resident, himself/herself, lol).

It depends on the program as not all of them invite signficant others. They do it, bc it's a reality that many residents will have a spouse/fiancee so many times the decision will be jointly made when it comes to rank list time. Depending on the interview, it might be safe for you not to be there (i.e. residents like the spouse more than the resident, himself/herself, lol).

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

I would also caution that I've only ever seen applicants bring spouses - not sure ive ever seen some one bring "just" a gf**

(**not trying to diminish your relationship with labels, buyout pointing out this may lead to immediate outlier status)
Correct. Yes, people will definitely ask questions (not deep probing questions, obvi), so if you bring someone, it's best if they're in the fiancée/spouse category. The worst I can imagine is the thought that you're trying to get your gf a free nice dinner at someone else's expense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just sayin. There have been instances where the residents like the signficant other more than the applicant, which unintentionally hurts the applicant bc there is a direct comparison.

Just sayin. There have been instances where the residents like the signficant other more than the applicant, which unintentionally hurts the applicant bc there is a direct comparison.

dont think any surgery people are going to find me more impressive than him. so..we should be safe :p

dont think any surgery people are going to find me more impressive than him. so..we should be safe :p
I was referring to personality not accomplishments
Or conversely where they strongly dislike the SO, and say "we have to spend the next five years hanging out with THAT guy?"
Yup. It can end up being quite the double edged sword that it's probably not worth the hassle.

I doubt I could actually get enough days off to go flying around anyway, so it's prob a good thing
Not to mention in the end for something like Surgery, he has to be happy being there as surgical residents are always in close proximity to each other when they work. The last thing a resident needs is a "What if?" scenario in their mind that if they had ranked some place higher than another place they would have ended up at a different (better) program, but they didn't bc of a significant other (not to say that this isn't hard on both people involved).

Not to mention in the end for something like Surgery, he has to be happy being there as surgical residents are always in close proximity to each other when they work. The last thing a resident needs is a "What if?" scenario in their mind that if they had ranked some place higher than another place they would have ended up at a different (better) program, but they didn't bc of a significant other (not to say that this isn't hard on both people involved).

Meh. I'll go wherever he matches, it's relatively simple for me to get licensed in most states he applied in. Obviously the NE would be awesome but really it's wherever he thinks he'll get the best training and be the happiest

Reactions: 1 users
Meh. I'll go wherever he matches, it's relatively simple for me to get licensed in most states he applied in. Obviously the NE would be awesome but really it's wherever he thinks he'll get the best training and be the happiest
I imagine there are few programs that have integrated Vascular programs also. I'm guessing he's applying for both the integrated and separate pathways at the same time.

All I know is that there is exactly ZERO percentage chance of me having to move to that other coast and that makes me unimaginably overjoyed

All I know is that there is exactly ZERO percentage chance of me having to move to that other coast and that makes me unimaginably overjoyed
And you hate the West Coast bc it's sunny? Or bc it's much slower paced than NY?