Residency Interview Suits and Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(men's) dress shoes:

leather sole vs rubber sole
definitely leather if you can afford it, they are generally more expensive

so glad i went with the merlot mcallisters for interviews, love them. so the recommendation on here actually

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Never an Invicta! Get a Citizen, Timex, or Seiko off Amazon.

And make sure your suit is clean and pressed. I was walking into school today and saw someone interviewing with a suit that looked like he crammed it into his pocket before getting on a 5 hour flight. It's obvious, and everyone notices.

Last edited:
The Boston accent is playing a big factor in deciding to do an away up there or not. Like nails on a chalkboard. Idk if I could grow to tolerate it
People in the city proper don't have the accent. It's the 100s of tiny Massachusetts towns that cultivate the accent and wear it like a badge.

Reactions: 6 users
And those shoes are like trying to be hideous.

But the thing is, on interviews so far this season, that style of ****ty slip on thing has probably been the most often seen style of shoe. Between those and some square toed lace ups that The Situation's anachronistic closet vomited out. Completely baffling.

But the thing is, on interviews so far this season, that style of ****ty slip on thing has probably been the most often seen style of shoe. Between those and some square toed lace ups that The Situation's anachronistic closet vomited out. Completely baffling.
They were popular last season, too. I didn't have the most stylish of shoes, but mine at least had laces...

Ok thanks for the heads up.

I'll use my late grandfathers seiko watch. Regarding the suit, I will disregard the vest, if I wear the rest with a tie clip, is that still acceptable?

Im really low on funds as I had to retake COMLEX PE. I have older clarks shoes with laces. I can wear those. The reason I wanted slip on was because my knot tying skills leave a lot to be desired lol

I certainly hope this post is a joke...

1) No invictas, ever
2) dont' wear a 3 piece suit to an interview
3) no shoes without laces

I second each of these statements. Loafers and a three-piece suit to an interview?? :bullcrap:

Reactions: 1 users
Never an Invictas! Get a Citizen, Timex, or Seiko off Amazon.

I'm a big fan of Seiko. They're a great way to go if you want a reasonably high quality, nice looking watch on a reasonable budget. I bought a mid-range seiko with a sapphire crystal (which I highly recommend coughing up the extra bucks for because it is essentially unscratchable) for $200 and have been wearing it every day for almost 5 years and it still runs and looks great. Scratches on the stainless steel bevel/band of course, but not a scratch to be found on the crystal. And it's taken some pretty brutal smacks in its day...

And please please please, don't think you are stylin' or gangster or whatever you think you are and wear a watch that is an inch thick and 4 inches across...that is very in style these days and it makes you look like a ridiculous walking watch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Staph...I'm begging you people...I'd be willing to bet you'll see at least one of these this interview season...and I guarantee that person will look like a goon...

5c5b04be.jpg

If you have a big meaty wrist it's definitely better....just at least dress to wear the watch can physically fit underneath the sleeve of your jacket instead of having it bunch all up on top of your watch when your walking around...

Wear a watch that is appropriately sized to your body...I still don't love the huge watches but there is no accounting for taste I guess :cool:

If you have a big meaty wrist it's definitely better....just at least dress to wear the watch can physically fit underneath the sleeve of your jacket instead of having it bunch all up on top of your watch when your walking around...

Wear a watch that is appropriately sized to your body...I still don't love the huge watches but there is no accounting for taste I guess :cool:

:cool: Do you think people from 5ft away can read the time off your wrist? :cool:

Yes, no can beat that type of swag. That person will be ranked highly fo sho.

I wouldn't go for the clock but I definitely hear that white suits are gaining popularity this interview season.

I was going to say you're going to have the wear your stuff pretty loose if you wear a watch that big or I guess specify for them to make your cuffs bigger

I don't get why people don't just take the tried and true conservative approach. I look at your appearance for a residency interview as somewhere where you can either lose points for looking like an idiot, or just stay where you are for looking acceptable. I don't think anyone is going to be like " zomg they are dressed so perfectly, everything works so well, gotta have them." If you just don't shoot yourself in the foot, you're going to come out ahead of a) 95 % of the people trying to make a fashion statement because it probably won't work b) the people who have 0 idea how to dress and do things like wearing a black suit.

In short, don't try to hit a HR, just pull a fastball down the line into left field and take your base.

Reactions: 2 users
Are yellow/gold ties perceived as off the wall or gaudy? I like em, and think they go great with navy. What say you, SDN?

jos-a-bank-regimental-pencil-stripe-tie.jpg

I have a couple of gold striped ties but I usually bench them for something darker. That tie would really be fine, it's iust being nitpicky at this point
We crossed that line long ago.

Are yellow/gold ties perceived as off the wall or gaudy? I like em, and think they go great with navy. What say you, SDN?

jos-a-bank-regimental-pencil-stripe-tie.jpg

with a charcoal suit and a light blue shirt I think it could work.

Staph...I'm begging you people...I'd be willing to bet you'll see at least one of these this interview season...and I guarantee that person will look like a goon...

5c5b04be.jpg
I like that watch. What sucks is that small hand in comparison that makes the whole thing look goofy.

No it isn't.
It looks fine, but if you are buying a watch just to interview, consider one with a leather strap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007900UZY/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1417335350&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70
I was being sarcastic, as apparently (unbeknownst to me) wearing a watch with a metal strap (vs. a leather strap) is a fashion faux pas in the interview world. I personally like the watch.

Edit: Sorry apparently it's "Suitable for Snorkeling, As Well as Swimming, but Not Diving"

I like that watch. What sucks is that small hand in comparison that makes the whole thing look goofy.
Is that a new style to wear wall clocks on your wrist? I'll have to write that one down.

I don't get why people don't just take the tried and true conservative approach. I look at your appearance for a residency interview as somewhere where you can either lose points for looking like an idiot, or just stay where you are for looking acceptable. I don't think anyone is going to be like " zomg they are dressed so perfectly, everything works so well, gotta have them." If you just don't shoot yourself in the foot, you're going to come out ahead of a) 95 % of the people trying to make a fashion statement because it probably won't work b) the people who have 0 idea how to dress and do things like wearing a black suit.

In short, don't try to hit a HR, just pull a fastball down the line into left field and take your base.

Agree 100%. A lot of people interviewing for things seem to over think their attire or not think at all.

Speaking of not thinking at all, I saw a guy at an interview a couple of weeks ago wearing a wrinkly pair of gray jeans and a gray hoodie (w/ shirt and tie)...he stood out and not in a good way...:eyebrow:

But you are unlikely to stand out in a good way. I agree that your dress and appearance just keeps you from loosing points but can't really gain you any.

I was being sarcastic, as apparently (unbeknownst to me) wearing a watch with a metal strap (vs. a leather strap) is a fashion faux pas in the interview world. I personally like the watch.

I like it too, but I'm partial to Seiko's. It is technically more correct to wear a leather strap/more of a dress watch with business formal attire but honestly wearing anything that looks nice is going to be fine...there is nobody in the world who is going to interview you and actually take the watch you were wearing into serious consideration when deciding whether or not to make you an offer.

It would definitely look better on a meatier hand/wrist, but for me a watch that can't physically fit under the sleeve of a suit jacket is a no go when you're wearing a suit.

Reactions: 2 users
lol all this obsession over attire could probably be better spent on exercise/getting your diet in line and walking in lean and mean, chiseled jawline, tapered waist, wide shoulders.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree 100%. A lot of people interviewing for things seem to over think their attire or not think at all.

Speaking of not thinking at all, I saw a guy at an interview a couple of weeks ago wearing a wrinkly pair of gray jeans and a gray hoodie (w/ shirt and tie)...he stood out and not in a good way...:eyebrow:

But you are unlikely to stand out in a good way. I agree that your dress and appearance just keeps you from loosing points but can't really gain you any.

Whoa, you should have done what I'm debating doing and taking sneaky shoulders-down pix and compiling them into an "interview fashion donts" thread :D :D

(Jk)

Whoa, you should have done what I'm debating doing and taking sneaky shoulders-down pix and compiling them into an "interview fashion donts" thread :D :D

That would have been photo worthy. Just take a "group shot".

Lesson learned...next time someone is in wrinkly gray jeans and a gray hoodie at an interview I'll have to sneak a pic

:ninja:

That one was definitely one for the interview fashion faux pas hall of fame...

Just out of curiosity, how would an Omega Seamaster be perceived? Not appropriate or fine? I don't have an expensive suit and don't really see the point of having one just yet, but I think earlier in this thread someone mentioned not wearing expensive items on interviews, so I thought I would ask. I wear my Fossil watch daily and don't think it would be a bad watch to wear with nice clothes. It's not a flashy watch but it does look nice for the value.

Just out of curiosity, how would an Omega Seamaster be perceived? Not appropriate or fine? I don't have an expensive suit and don't really see the point of having one just yet, but I think earlier in this thread someone mentioned not wearing expensive items on interviews, so I thought I would ask. I wear my Fossil watch daily and don't think it would be a bad watch to wear with nice clothes. It's not a flashy watch but it does look nice for the value.

Lol. As long as your watch doesn't have a metal band you'll be fine*

*according to popular opinion here. I think that's what Kaus has and he's been wearing it on interviews..

Lol. As long as your watch doesn't have a metal band you'll be fine*

*according to popular opinion here. I think that's what Kaus has and he's been wearing it on interviews..

Gotcha. Thanks. None of my watches have a metal band. As stupid as this sounds, I don't like metal bands anymore because an old watch I had used to rip off wrist hair so I've since converted to leather bands. LOL Problem solved!

Gotcha. Thanks. None of my watches have a metal band. As stupid as this sounds, I don't like metal bands anymore because an old watch I had used to rip off wrist hair so I've since converted to leather bands. LOL Problem solved!
If you wear watch built for the ocean with a leather strap, the most unseaworthy of materials, you will not match.

Reactions: 3 users
What a waste....

I'm hoping my $30 Fossil is still running when I get ready to interview, and I'm keeping my figure so the $180 2nd hand suit with a $35 tailoring should be good to go too.

If you really think a $3k watch is going to do it for you, I'll bet my lean body and board scores against it.

What a waste....

I'm hoping my $30 Fossil is still running when I get ready to interview, and I'm keeping my figure so the $180 2nd hand suit with a $35 tailoring should be good to go too.

If you really think a $3k watch is going to do it for you, I'll bet my lean body and board scores against it.

Well, that's why I was asking which would be better. I love my Fossil watch too. I don't have that kind of money to spend on watches, so I was wondering if I needed to ask a family member for something nicer for an occasion such as a residency interview. If people are really that critical on watches then I'm not really going to bother with it and just wear the one I have, which is very nice but was less than $200 (gotta love Fossil).

What a waste....

Pix for us to analyze and give feedback would be helpful....

Of the suit, I mean. The suit. Yeah.

Sigh.

I really wish there was a way for this message to pop up every time someone tries to post in this thread:

Everyone understands that what you wear is not going to make or break your application. No one has said otherwise. But a lot of people have questions about what the appropriate attire is, and some people have posted very detailed questions in this regard. Other people genuinely enjoy fashion and like to discuss their clothing choices. If you don't fit into either of these categories, move along.
If someone wants to reserve the right to flaunt a 3k watch to the sdn world, I reserve the right to laugh at them.

short sleeve collared shirts. don't ever wear them. polos are different.