Residency List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainPoopyPants

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 questions:

Is there a table of residency match rates?

Is there a list of military residency locations?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Match rates aren't very helpful in the military health system. They can swing drastically for any given specialty from year to year

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here have personal experience with join(t) spouse affecting residency/assignments?

Anyone here have personal experience with join(t) spouse affecting residency/assignments?

A lot is going to depend on what the spouse does, same service vs different service, etc.

Same service, both physicians: very rarely not together.

Different service, both physicians: usually able to make it work.

Same service, different communities: very much depends on career trajectory and needs of the non-medical spouse.

Different service, different communities: crap shoot.

Reactions: 1 user
Different service, different communities: crap shoot.

We fall into this category. What we do have going for us is my partner will be in the same location the rest of their career, and said location is one of the big milmed hubs. I'm not sure if that is enough (given that I aim for a specialty that is present in that location) to count on (as much as one can in the military assignments process)?

We fall into this category. What we do have going for us is my partner will be in the same location the rest of their career, and said location is one of the big milmed hubs. I'm not sure if that is enough (given that I aim for a specialty that is present in that location) to count on (as much as one can in the military assignments process)?

It will certainly help that they are already (or will be) at a major location. Your collocation needs will be considered for residency, where the crapshoot may come into play is your follow-on tour post residency.

It may also result in you not matching into your chosen specialty. We've had that several years with a specific department out here, where people have applied to it because their spouse was in a different department or assigned to a different unit here. All 3 ended up doing transitional years. 1 of the 3 changed specialties and got picked up. The other is currently a TY here. The third will be a TY here next year.

I'm good friends with the guy that switched and matched into our program during his TY year. He was very competitive for the field he applied for but basically was told by the other program directors that they didn't want to bring him somewhere where his wife wasn't.

It may also result in you not matching into your chosen specialty. We've had that several years with a specific department out here, where people have applied to it because their spouse was in a different department or assigned to a different unit here. All 3 ended up doing transitional years. 1 of the 3 changed specialties and got picked up. The other is currently a TY here. The third will be a TY here next year.

I'm good friends with the guy that switched and matched into our program during his TY year. He was very competitive for the field he applied for but basically was told by the other program directors that they didn't want to bring him somewhere where his wife wasn't.

Thanks for your reply. Just so I'm tracking... your friend who switched originally chose a specialty/applied to a residency program that was at a location where his spouse was, and he didn't get picked up for that particular residency program because someone else did, or did he choose a specialty that wasn't offering residency slots at that location where his spouse was? Or something else?

I've got quite a few specialties I'm interested in and really only one or two that I'm not interested in at all. I understand that could change for me once I start school and clerkships, but I'm cool with choosing a specialty that works out with where my partner is.

Thanks for your reply. Just so I'm tracking... your friend who switched originally chose a specialty/applied to a residency program that was at a location where his spouse was, and he didn't get picked up for that particular residency program because someone else did, or did he choose a specialty that wasn't offering residency slots at that location where his spouse was? Or something else?

I've got quite a few specialties I'm interested in and really only one or two that I'm not interested in at all. I understand that could change for me once I start school and clerkships, but I'm cool with choosing a specialty that works out with where my partner is.

So the way ranking works is you have to rank all the programs in a specialty before you can rank a different specialty and you have to rank at least 5 programs. Ie if you wanted to do emergency medicine you'd have to rank

1. San Antonio
2. Madigan
3. Darnell
4. Medical College of Georgia
5. Civilian Deferment
6. Second Specialty

You can't rank,

1. Emergency Medicine, San Antonio
2. General Surgery, San Antonio
3. Internal Medicine, San Antonio
4. Anesthesiology, San Antonio
5. etc, etc

My buddy ranked

1. location where his wife was stationed, specialty choice
2. other locations, same specialty
3. other location, same specialty
4. other location, same specialty
5. other location, same specialty
6. TY year, location where wife was stationed

He matched TY where his wife is/was. A few months into that year he reached out to another specialty, asked to do a rotation in it as a TY, and subsequently matched in that specialty at the location where his wife was.

I'm fairly certain that's how the ranking has to be done still. If you could/can rank multiple different specialties I'd also say it doesn't set you up well to match, especially if it's in a competitive specialty. It will give the impression that you're not THAT interested in it. Not to say you couldn't potentially sell yourself to a program, particularly if its a non-competitive specialty, but having been involved in selection/ranking meetings in a competitive specialty, if you're not sure what you want to do that has triggered red flags and makes programs hesitant to rank you.