MD & DO Retake a 508? What are my Chances? School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yourtypicalbruh

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I would like to apply for the upcoming cycle. However, I am not really happy with my MCAT score, so I am considering to retake it. I am a double major (non-science/science). My BCPM is 3.81, and my cGPA is 3.795 (upward trend after moving to the U.S, and all science classes taken in the U.S). Plus, I am hispanic (I don't know if I am considered URM since I am not from PR, Cuba or Mexico), and my ECs are decent: +100 clinical volunteering, +100 shadowing, +80 nonclinical volunteering, research(no pubs/no posters), and some unpaid internships in the hospitals (mostly admin. stuff like quality, infection control, etc).

MCAT 2015:
Chem/ Phys.... 128 (%87)
CARS... 125 (English isn't my first language, so I was proud lol) (%58)
Bio/Biochem... 129 (%93)
Psych/Soc... 126 (%66)
Total... 508 (%77)

I would like to apply to M.D schools mostly, but D.O is also an option. Here's a tentative list of schools (if you can recommend more, please feel free to comment):

George Washington U
Georgetown U
Howard
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Michigan State
Rosaling Franklin
Stony brook
Some Florida schools like FAU, FSU, UCF, or FIU
.... The "Dreaming is Free" Section ...
Boston University
NYU
S.U.N.Y
U of Miami
Mayo
Ohio State
North Carolina (I'm OOS)
Duke
U of Chicago

I appreciate your help guys. No need to be nice, just be honest.

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM I would appreciate your feedback. I know you are well respected here.
 
Of your list, the only school for which I think you're competitive for is the below.

You should consider a retake if you're boning for the MD degree. But you're fine for any DO school, including mine.

If you have MSAR Online, pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages.



Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Rosaline Franklin
Your state school (IF you're not a CA resident)


What community do you represent? And don't say "Brooklyn".

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM I would appreciate your feedback. I know you are well respected here.[/QUOTE]
 
What state are you a resident of? That's likely where your odds will be best

Invest in MSAR. Target schools where your MCAT(equivalent to a 30) is above the 10th percentile and in the 30-33 range.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Of your list, the only school for which I think you're competitive for is the below.

You should consider a retake if you're boning for the MD degree. But you're fine for any DO school, including mine.

If you have MSAR Online, pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages.



Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Rosaline Franklin
Your state school (IF you're not a CA resident)


What community do you represent? And don't say "Brooklyn".

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM I would appreciate your feedback. I know you are well respected here.
[/QUOTE]

I'm a Florida resident, and I'm Colombian.
 
Oh okay! What Hispanic group do you represent? Most that aren't from PR and Mexico really aren't considered URM. Your MCAT is low for some of the schools you have listed. Use the MSAR and look for schools that have 10-90 percentiles with your MCAT score. I bet U of Chicago's 10th percent is well above your 508!
 
Oh okay! What Hispanic group do you represent? Most that aren't from PR and Mexico really aren't considered URM. Your MCAT is low for some of the schools you have listed. Use the MSAR and look for schools that have 10-90 percentiles with your MCAT score. I bet U of Chicago's 10th percent is well above your 508!

I am sure it is well above that, but I happen to love the school's curriculum... that's why is on the "dreaming is free section"...

BTW, I'm Colombian!