MD & DO Rising Senior - URM, Low GPA, no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ismidoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am at the point where I am thinking I might need some sort of GPA repair post graduation.

I currently have a 3.0 cGPA (though upon calculating my AMCAS GPA it is lower ~ 2.87cGPA, 2.5 sGPA). I have about 35 credits remaining - mostly in upper division science courses.
I did well this past semester, which is what brought my GPA up, so assuming I continue on this track, my AMCAS GPA is projected to be about a cGPA of 3.1, sGPA 3.0.

I have good ECs including a lot of research, clinical, and service hours. A lot of my time is also spent on helping the communities I am apart of (AA). I plan to take the MCAT in the beginning of 2019. If I do ok (> 510), is it logical for me to apply next cycle?

I am aware there is a lot of "if"s in my situation, but if I need to do a post bacc I need to start preparing for it financially. I would appreciate any insight - thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without a MCAT nobody can predict. But with maybe a cGPA 3.1 and a sGPA 3.0 you’re going to need some sort of grade repair. Both of those GPAs are too low for MD and awfully low for DO. You probably should plan on a GAP year or two . You could work in your GPAs, study for the. MCAT and keep up your ECs. You only want to apply once with the best possible application. So take your time and do it right. Give yourself the best chance possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Without a MCAT nobody can predict. But with maybe a cGPA 3.1 and a sGPA 3.0 you’re going to need some sort of grade repair. Both of those GPAs are too low for MD and awfully low for DO. You probably should plan on a GAP year or two . You could work in your GPAs, study for the. MCAT and keep up your ECs. You only want to apply once with the best possible application. So take your time and do it right. Give yourself the best chance possible.
I'm not sure that I agree. Acceptance for AA-URM and 3.0GPA with a 30-35 MCAT equivalent is 76% and 59% for 27-29 MCAT equivalent.

OP if you can continue the upward trend to get to a 3.0 AMCAS cGPA and can translate that upward trend into a >510 MCAT I think you're good. But don't apply this year and don't rush the MCAT. Also focus on getting good reference letters in that time period.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a URM, if you get an MCAT within the 505-510 range I would speculate you're in rage for an acceptance only because as stated above the acceptance data is in your favor

I am black - first generation immigrant
With a strong MCAT (and a better than 3.0 science gpa, you would be a candidate for the 3 medical schools affiliated with HBCU's and your state publics (if you are a resident of a lucky state).
What is your state of residence?

Hi,

I am at the point where I am thinking I might need some sort of GPA repair post graduation.

I currently have a 3.0 cGPA (though upon calculating my AMCAS GPA it is lower ~ 2.87cGPA, 2.5 sGPA). I have about 35 credits remaining - mostly in upper division science courses.
I did well this past semester, which is what brought my GPA up, so assuming I continue on this track, my AMCAS GPA is projected to be about a cGPA of 3.1, sGPA 3.0.

I have good ECs including a lot of research, clinical, and service hours. A lot of my time is also spent on helping the communities I am apart of (black + Muslim). I plan to take the MCAT in the beginning of 2019. If I do ok (> 510), is it logical for me to apply next cycle?

I am aware there is a lot of "if"s in my situation, but if I need to do a post bacc I need to start preparing for it financially. I would appreciate any insight - thank you!
:xf: I have no solid advice to give you (as I’m probably the least qualified person on here), but I’ll be wishing you the best of luck!! May the odds be ever in your favor :luck:

510+ and you might have a fighting chance although you'd have a better shot with a 515+.

With a strong MCAT (and a better than 3.0 science gpa, you would be a candidate for the 3 medical schools affiliated with HBCU's and your state publics (if you are a resident of a lucky state).
What is your state of residence?
I live in Minnesota which I believe is not a lucky state

:xf: I have no solid advice to give you (as I’m probably the least qualified person on here), but I’ll be wishing you the best of luck!! May the odds be ever in your favor :luck:
Thank you so much! Really appreciate it :)

I'm not sure that I agree. for AA-URM and 3.0GPA with a 30-35 MCAT equivalent is 76% and 59% for 27-29 MCAT equivalent.

OP if you can continue the upward trend to get to a 3.0 AMCAS cGPA and can translate that upward trend into a >510 MCAT I think you're good. But don't apply this year and don't rush the MCAT. Also focus on getting good reference letters in that time period.

Thank you. By not rushing the MCAT, do you mean that taking the test next year and applying next cycle is too soon?

You have 35 credits left in science....and you think you might be able to get to sgpa of 3.1?

What’s going on with your sgpa right now?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. By not rushing the MCAT, do you mean that taking the test next year and applying next cycle is too soon?

Take the MCAT when you are ready and not before. Don’t take the exam until you are consistently scoring at or near your target goal.

What is your sGPA right now?

Reactions: 1 users
Take the MCAT when you are ready and not before. Don’t take the exam until you are consistently scoring at or near your target goal.

It is a 2.5 now. Also my goal is to raise that to a 3.0 by graduation (maintain a 3.7 - last semester I had a 3.5)

In response to the above poster, I did a lot of science credits during my last two years of high school + first year of undergrad and did not do too well.

Candbgirl is totally correct - don't take it until you can get a score that will get you in.

And don't apply until your GPA is above 3.0 even if it takes another year.