Robert Wood Johnson vs. New Jersey Med...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kam9933

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts? both schools are good, but i'm having a tough time making a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

kam9933 said:
Any thoughts? both schools are good, but i'm having a tough time making a decision.

Isn't RWJ the premier school in the state? It's also in a much better part of the state as well. No brainer in my mind...

kam9933 said:
i go to NJmed...ima first year. if u have any questions...feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
try a search because there have been several long threads on this. i can summarize them all: "they're both great schools and will take you anywhere you want to go. go wherever you felt you were a better fit at during your visits." congratulations on both acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the previous post. It is true that most people tend to choose RWJ, and I can understand. They're afraid of Newark and RWJ is ranked higher (this is pretty much solely due to having much more research), and RWJ has more opportunity for dual degrees. However, personally, I couldn't see myself going there. NJMS has much better integration with the hospital through the 4 years of medical school, is close to NYC, and more opportunities to work at the free clinic. I'm also told that they have more autonomy and responsibility during the clinical years (which to me is very important in a school). It depends on what your looking for. In terms of residency match, there's no significant difference. I just thought I'd put my 2 cents in just so this thread wasn't dominated by NJMS haters.

not an njms hater, just think rwj is a better school. especially with research opportunities available and no financial troubles with the government and etc.

i think i can help you-i attended one of the medical schools, and i now teach at the other. they are both good schools-do well there, and you can get a good residency anywhere. rwj has a much nicer physical plant and environment for the first 2 pre-clinical years. during your last 2 years, you don't want independance-you want someone to teach you how to take care of sick people-both schools will do that for you. the education in both schools is equal-rwj just has a nicer environment. the first 2 years is on the rutgers campus, in a rural/suburban environment. the last 2 years is in new brunswick or princeton. njms is in an urban area-newark. obviously, spend time at both, and see which makes sense for you. hope that helps.

I was accepted to both schools and ended up choosing RWJMS. After finishing at RWJ, I went to the midwest (Illinois) and to Texas (Houston) for residency training.

In general, RWJMS has more national notoriety, because of a similarly named philanthropic organization (with no relation however) to the med school known as the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

RWJMS shares a campus with the engineering and pharmacy college of Rutgers University. There are more opportunities to meet undergraduates and also the faculty members at RU. RWJMS definitely does have a greater research presence nationally.

NJMS definitely has better integration with the hospital, but its location is in a bad area of newark. Walking out of the parking lot to your car late at night can be somewhat scary.

Do a google news search on UMDNJ and do some reading on the state of affairs at the Newark campus. Good luck with your choice, both schools are great and you'll do well at either one.