Rochester waitlist - What percent get in??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildcatMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So judging from what I've read here, it seems as though almost everybody that interviewed at Rochester is waitlisted...

While this isn't literally true, it seems as though there are few people that are outright accepted, and really really few that are rejected post interview (as in hardly anybody)

I was wondering if anybody has heard or if anybody currently at Rochester can give any insight into what percent of people get off the waitlist and get in??

If what I initially said was true, then they must accept a good number of people off the waitlist, which is good.
On the other hand, this is probably a low percentage if so many people are on the waitlist, which is bad.

So in other words, who the hell knows :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

forgot one other thing

anybody how their waitlist works?? As in ranked or not ranked, etc...

It seems like there were at least two different WL letters that went out, one of which was pretty standard, the other saying something to the effect that your chances of getting in were very good. Based on that it appears that it's at least tiered if not ranked. I don't know if people have gotten information about their standings from Dr. Hansen or not.

Also, whatever rumors there are about schools accepting only a "few," bear in mind that every school accepts at least as many as are in the incoming class, I think by some time in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
pseudoknot said:
It seems like there were at least two different WL letters that went out, one of which was pretty standard, the other saying something to the effect that your chances of getting in were very good. Based on that it appears that it's at least tiered if not ranked. I don't know if people have gotten information about their standings from Dr. Hanson or not.

Also, whatever rumors there are about schools accepting only a "few," bear in mind that every school accepts at least as many as are in the incoming class, I think by some time in April.

I don't believe that there are 2 different waitlist letters. I received a "normal" waitlist letter, and I also emailed Dr. Hansen, who replied saying that I was "high" on the waitlist, and stood a good chance of hearing back after May 15th.

I agree that the waitlist is at least tiered, if not ranked. According to the pre-health advisor's handbook (that a career counselor at my school let me look at, it's not available to the public) approximately 40-50 people a year are accepted off of the waitlist, which has a total of about 400 people.

WayChanger said:
I don't believe that there are 2 different waitlist letters. I received a "normal" waitlist letter, and I also emailed Dr. Hansen, who replied saying that I was "high" on the waitlist, and stood a good chance of hearing back after May 15th.

I agree that the waitlist is at least tiered, if not ranked. According to the pre-health advisor's handbook (that a career counselor at my school let me look at, it's not available to the public) approximately 40-50 people a year are accepted off of the waitlist, which has a total of about 400 people.

Hey WayChanger, out of curiousity, when you e-mailed Dr. Hansen, did you specifically ask about your position on the waitlist or did he volunteer that information? Good luck with waitlists (your chances look great), my fellow Bear. :luck:

ntc1983 said:
Hey WayChanger, out of curiousity, when you e-mailed Dr. Hansen, did you specifically ask about your position on the waitlist or did he volunteer that information? Good luck with waitlists (your chances look great), my fellow Bear. :luck:

Not outright; I asked if it would be possible to find out more about our ultimate chances of admission after May 15th, and he replied back with that comment. Good luck with you too. =)

WayChanger said:

From this thread:
northcountry said:
Has anyone received a letter from Rochester saying, " you are ranked very high on our Waiting List and stand a good chance of receiving an offer of acceptance..."?
Now, it's possible this guy was lying, but there it is.

It's possible he got a letter with that wording, certainly, but if there was a "high" letter, it must have gone out only to very special people, since that guy is apparently the only one on SDN that has received one. Rochester takes 40-50 people off the waitlist, so here's to hoping for good news this coming week. =O May 15th is coming up soon enough. =)

40-50 out of 400 get in?

Wow, maybe I shouldn't have asked... :D

WildcatMD said:
40-50 out of 400 get in?

Wow, maybe I shouldn't have asked... :D

I doubt there are 400 on the waitlist, because many people withdraw from the waitlist.

I just got in today, so goes to show, you don't have to get any sort of "high" waitlist letter to get in. =)