Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I couldn't find a FB group for this class, so if anyone wants to join to discuss housing, textbook info, meet future classmates, I figured this would be a great place to start. Looking forward to meeting everyone! https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvucom2020/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview invite yesterday morning. Complete for about two months, I thought they forgot about me haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted secondary today (10/28). Looks like I'm going to be waiting 2 months+ :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary today (10/28). Looks like I'm going to be waiting 2 months+ :(

Yeah I know...I have been complete since 9/16 and I still haven't heard back.

Anyone else interviewing on the 12th?

Awesome! just seeing if any other SDNers will be around.

Also, can anyone comment on places to eat or anything to do in Denver post-interview, thanks!

Awesome! just seeing if any other SDNers will be around.

Also, can anyone comment on places to eat or anything to do in Denver post-interview, thanks!
I can! What type of scene/atmosphere are you looking for?

I can! What type of scene/atmosphere are you looking for?

Not particularly looking for bars or anything, more so some kind of unique food or something Denver-y lol (any sort of cuisine works). Probably somewhere I can sit down and relax/maybe walk around after.

Also, I recently read your review on RVUCOM and had a few questions, do you mind answering them whenever you get a chance?

1. Why did you rate financial aid a C?
2. Whats the COL for rent out there?
3. How did battling out the dress code policy work out?
4. How often are you guys tested in courses?

Thanks! Excited to be visiting Denver in 1.5 weeks.

II just now! Can't even begin to describe how happy I am. I've been complete for almost three months so hang in there guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Not particularly looking for bars or anything, more so some kind of unique food or something Denver-y lol (any sort of cuisine works). Probably somewhere I can sit down and relax/maybe walk around after.

Also, I recently read your review on RVUCOM and had a few questions, do you mind answering them whenever you get a chance?

Thanks! Excited to be visiting Denver in 1.5 weeks.

First off, food:
- This really depends on where you're staying, whether or not you have a car/ride, etc. If you can get up into Denver/Aurora I really like the Chop Shop Casual Urban Eatery for upscale fast casual (think upscale slow cooked meats with a Noodles & Co. ordering style), Sue of Siam for an awesome, complete hole-in-the-wall Thai vibe in kind of a sketchy area, Tacos Selene for authentic mexican street tacos, Phoenecian Kebab for Middle East/Medeterranean, and a whole lot of other options if your budget is higher/you want to go into downtown Denver.
If you want to stay close to school, the options become more limited, IMO. The View House is a Bar that some of my classmates like. Sushu Kazu comes fairly highly recommended, Dad and Dudes is an awesome brewery and pizza place that I think is my favorite spot near school by far. It's in a shopping center, but don't let that fool you, their pizza and beer is awesome and they have lots of good deals for Happy Hours and stuff. Let me know if there's something specific you're looking for!

- With any private school, there just isn't much of it to be had. I was basing my ranking against all MD and DO schools, so I needed to be fair. There are some scholarships obviously, just not a plethora of them.

- This is a pretty loaded question. It all depends on how far away from school you're willing to live. The parker area is fairly new/spendy, but you can live within a walk or bike from school. I think 1 BR's are running around 1100 or 1200 currently? Less with a roommate, obviously. If you can handle living farther away, you can find much cheaper housing in Aurora, Centennial or other suburbs. Last year my wife and I rented a 3 BR 1 BA with a fenced back yard and all utilities including lawn care included for 1400/month. Once you get closer, I recommend craigslist for finding places and hitting up the class fb page if you are looking for roommates.

- We (as a class) essentially realized that it isn't a big deal at all, and that we can wear jeans every day, and that was it. No biggie in the end, and admin has been good about listening to us (all lectures are non-mandatory now, at least for second years [not sure about OMS-I]), so I'm happy.

- In our main systems courses on average once every 2 weeks. More or less, depending on the unit. Mixed in with year long courses, it comes out to averaging something every week or two. I think it's a good mix between always having tests lurking and getting hit with monster exams all the time.

I hope this helped! Good Luck!

II just now! Can't even begin to describe how happy I am. I've been complete for almost three months so hang in there guys!
Congrats! I've also been complete since 8/10! Still hopeful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure this has already been answered somewhere in the thread.. but when your file is complete, will it actually get marked "complete?" Right now, I still have the status of "applicant."

I am guessing based on people's posts on here that you don't hear from RVU about possible II on the portal but only by email. Is that correct? I have been complete since October.

I am guessing based on people's posts on here that you don't hear from RVU about possible II on the portal but only by email. Is that correct? I have been complete since October.
I had an experience where I thought I was complete, but my MCAT was considered expired. I only found out when I called admissions and was told I should have received an automated email - clearly I did not. If ever in doubt, just call admissions.

I had an experience where I thought I was complete, but my MCAT was considered expired. I only found out when I called admissions and was told I should have received an automated email - clearly I did not. If ever in doubt, just call admissions.

How old was your mcat?

flying into CO tomorrow. Excited to check the school out this week!

Reactions: 3 users
I know is sort of late in the cycle but I added this school the other day and received a secondary today. I really should have read this thread more closely prior to adding the school. As someone who has strong research experience and a strong desire to do research throughout the entirety of medical school to hopefully purse academic medicine, combined with not having an interest in primary care, is it worth it to even submit it?

I know is sort of late in the cycle but I added this school the other day and received a secondary today. I really should have read this thread more closely prior to adding the school. As someone who has strong research experience and a strong desire to do research throughout the entirety of medical school to hopefully purse academic medicine, combined with not having an interest in primary care, is it worth it to even submit it?

I am a second year, and research often. There are plenty of research opportunities in the Denver area.

Thanks! Can you comment on the PBL aspects of the curriculum?

Yeah, so far it's pretty non-existent. We had one section (renal II) where we tried PBL. It was okay, but I prefer lectures. I'm not sure whether they plan to implement more PBL, I doubt it.

Each class has a case-based component. Typically that comes after we learn the physiology/pathophysiology and act more as a review and application session. Those lectures are generally very well done.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

As someone who has strong research experience and a strong desire to do research throughout the entirety of medical school to hopefully purse academic medicine, combined with not having an interest in primary care, is it worth it to even submit it?

Not a student, but in my interview, the PhD interviewing me told me RVU was not a good choice for someone heavily interested in research.

For people who put down their deposit. Does it say anywhere on the portal that the payment went through?

You should definitely submit. Also check out the Academic Medicine Physician-Scientist (AMPS) Honors Track.
http://www.rvu.edu/academics/college-of-osteo-medicine-rvucom/curriculum/honors-tracks/

Yeah, so far it's pretty non-existent. We had one section (renal II) where we tried PBL. It was okay, but I prefer lectures. I'm not sure whether they plan to implement more PBL, I doubt it.

Each class has a case-based component. Typically that comes after we learn the physiology/pathophysiology and act more as a review and application session. Those lectures are generally very well done.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

For people who put down their deposit. Does it say anywhere on the portal that the payment went through?
After making a payment towards your deposit, you should receive a confirmation page and possibly an email receipt. The portal is updated manually and may take a few days to reflect it.

Does anyone know the approximate time it takes between complete status and deciding on whether you get an interview? I remember last year, it was fairly quick.

Does anyone know the approximate time it takes between complete status and deciding on whether you get an interview? I remember last year, it was fairly quick.

Yeah, last year it took a little over a month to receive a decision. I'm at 2 months now. This school is worth it.

Not a student, but in my interview, the PhD interviewing me told me RVU was not a good choice for someone heavily interested in research.

I weirdly got the same sort of vibe from my interview when I expressed interest in research during medical school.

I am starting to give up any hopes of an interview...I was complete 9/16 and still haven't heard anything.

I weirdly got the same sort of vibe from my interview when I expressed interest in research during medical school.
Totally agree. I'm not interested in research but I did feel the no BS mentality. For me it was refreshing, because I feel like I know exactly what I'm getting.

Quick comment about the dress code here. The student ambassador giving the tour told us that there is a broad interpretation of what is complient. For instance, a tee shirt is fine as long as there are no logos, and sandles are fine just no flip flops. Jeans are fine and ANYTHING with an RVU logo is fine (hoodies, sweatshirts etc) . Basically the school wanted to move away from shorts, flip flops, yoga pants, sweats and graphic tees. As long as you don't look like you barely rolled out of bed you're fine. Also, every OMM lab day is a freebie since you have to dress in shorts and a tee shirt. It was a lab day when I went so both guys and girls were dressed in workout clothes.

Quick comment about the dress code here. The student ambassador giving the tour told us that there is a broad interpretation of what is complient. For instance, a tee shirt is fine as long as there are no logos, and sandles are fine just no flip flops. Jeans are fine and ANYTHING with an RVU logo is fine (hoodies, sweatshirts etc) . Basically the school wanted to move away from shorts, flip flops, yoga pants, sweats and graphic tees. As long as you don't look like you barely rolled out of bed you're fine. Also, every OMM lab day is a freebie since you have to dress in shorts and a tee shirt. It was a lab day when I went so both guys and girls were dressed in workout clothes.
This is all correct except for the lab part. You are only allowed to be "dressed down" for lab during your assigned lab time. You might see students coming from home already changed, but they're not allowed to be dressed down during lecture time in the morning.

I am starting to give up any hopes of an interview...I was complete 9/16 and still haven't heard anything.
It was 10 weeks before I heard back with and II from the time I was complete. There's still hope.

That prof was uninformed, then. We don't have research ongoing at school per se, but the opportunities in the area are plenty. Not to mention opportunities outside of the state over the summer (like the one I did where there are 2 papers being submitted to journals with the possibility for more). There are plenty of options for someone who is interested in research.

That prof was uninformed, then. We don't have research ongoing at school per se, but the opportunities in the area are plenty. Not to mention opportunities outside of the state over the summer (like the one I did where there are 2 papers being submitted to journals with the possibility for more). There are plenty of options for someone who is interested in research.

I see, I was just repeating what the professor told me during my interview. They were a basic sciences lecturer who felt that RVU didn't offer strong research opportunities. Good to know that is not necessarily true.

Acceptance call a couple hours ago! Oh man, this made decision time much harder. Great school.

Got an acceptance call this evening! :) interviewed yesterday!

I disagree. Research opportunities in the general area and other states does not make RVU a great school for doing research. You CAN do research at RVU it's just a bigger pain than at places with lots of on site research.

I disagree. Research opportunities in the general area and other states does not make RVU a great school for doing research. You CAN do research at RVU it's just a bigger pain than at places with lots of on site research.
I suppose it depends on what kind of research you value. Clinical research will be about the same in any community or school, IMO.

It is a far great pain trying to find research in rural areas, than urban. I have interviewed in rural schools (in the past) and they have research opportunities, but the opportunities are rather desolate. There are no hospitals with clinical opportunities either. Having a school in close proximity of multiple hospitals (or research institutions) is a plus, even if one is doing the leg work.

Received the acceptance call on Friday (interviewed on 11/3)!! I am ecstatic and cannot wait to get started at RVU!

Good luck to those of you still in the running for an acceptance or interview. Remember to relax and be yourself at this interview. It really is a friendly and supportive atmosphere, where you either feel like you fit or don't. Trust your instincts.

@Haxx
When do students apply to these special tracks (like the academic medicine track)?

Does anyone know if this school accepts "update letters" pre-interview? I have been complete since August and haven't heard anything. I have several things I have done since sending in my secondary application that I want to let them know about. My applicant tab is still there so I think that is a good sign??