Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still haven't heard anything about an admissions decision. The portal still says "interview confirmation"....getting a little nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this :-/ I live in Denver and I'm having some trouble finding DO's to shadow. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm applying to RVU-COM.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this :-/ I live in Denver and I'm having some trouble finding DO's to shadow. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm applying to RVU-COM.

I recommend trying this resource first if you haven't yet.
It lets you specify city, radius, and even specialty. Then call a few doctors and explain why you're looking to shadow and what you hope to gain from it.
http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/pages/find-a-do-search.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Just saw that I've been placed on the alternate list following the interview. Pretty surprised, but can anyone comment about how much waitlist movement there has been in recent years? Would it be appropriate to contact admissions and see if there's anything that I could do to get taken off?

Hey guys. Just saw that I've been placed on the alternate list following the interview. Pretty surprised, but can anyone comment about how much waitlist movement there has been in recent years? Would it be appropriate to contact admissions and see if there's anything that I could do to get taken off?

They are so helpful in the admissions office. I would definitely call them and ask them if there is anything you can do. I am not sure about waitlist movement, but maybe you could ask them since they would know best. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! To anyone who has interviewed or is scheduled for one: I'm looking at the waivers we need to bring to the interview, and they talk about the policies concerning "Attendance and dress code during class, labs, exams & clinical courses," "Code of student conduct and academic responsibility and code of behavior conduct," and the "Code of Student Conduct and Academic Responsibility." Anyone know where to find these policies? :] Mostly wondering about the dress code one.

Yey Interview Invite this morning. :soexcited:What a way to start a day.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted here recently and would really like some advice on housing if any current students can comment on apartments that many students live in first year? Thanks in advance!!

Does anyone know if financial loans are readily accessible for this school? I gave heard that some students had to take private loans outside to cover living expenses

Does anyone know if financial loans are readily accessible for this school? I gave heard that some students had to take private loans outside to cover living expenses

Yes financial student federal aid loans are available for the full amount of tuition, plus cost of living, books, car maintenance, etc. Earlier classes of the COM that were established before accreditation was attained did have to take out more private loans. There are also plenty of students on military HPSP scholarships which also cover everything, plus provide a stipend. Most students in current classes are either on federal student loans or HSPS. You can read more about cost of tuition here: http://www.rvu.edu/prospective-students/student-financial-services/

I finally found this thread! I got an II last week and I have an interview on 01/11. I've never been so excited.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding to my previous post. I am bringing snowboarding gear with me for the day after the interview. Gotta make the most of the beauty of Colorado. Any local applicants or current students have advice on the best deals for a single day session? I was thinking Breck but have no knowledge of the area.

Adding to my previous post. I am bringing snowboarding gear with me for the day after the interview. Gotta make the most of the beauty of Colorado. Any local applicants or current students have advice on the best deals for a single day session? I was thinking Breck but have no knowledge of the area.
Arapahoe basin will be the cheapest and closest option for a nice mountain, IMO. People will probably argue that, though.

Can any current students provide recommendations on what apartments they or their classmate like or ones to avoid? Thanks in advance!

I would say avoid Breck if possible. One day lift tickets are 160 dollars. Loveland is the best bang for your buck. But I would also check out liftopia.com and see if there are any other good deals for the day that you want to board.

II a few days ago and just scheduled for 1/27. For those of you who have already interviewed, what do you like about this school compared to others? Thanks!

II a few days ago and just scheduled for 1/27. For those of you who have already interviewed, what do you like about this school compared to others? Thanks!

Same here! :)

Another question for anyone able/willing to answer. How long after the interview do they usually disclose their decision?

Congratulations! I really liked the laid back vibe from both the students and faculty/admin. Coupled with top 1 or 2 ranked board scores made this a great fit for me. Every school in the nation will have smart, dedicated, empathetic students, but my feel was that the students at RVU have nerd level smarts with a healthy dose of cool kid/jock appeal. (wow, sounds like I'm in high school haha) anyway...just my opinion based on the schools I saw. I'm also matriculating here so that throws some bias into the mix.

Same here! :)

Another question for anyone able/willing to answer. How long after the interview do they usually disclose their decision?
Congrats! Some groups heard back the day after the interview and some a few weeks later. They'll let you know when the next scheduled ad com meeting is during the interview day.

How long do you have to decide after receiving an acceptance?

How long do you have to decide after receiving an acceptance?
According to the CIB, those accepted between Nov 15 to Jan 14 has 30 days and those accepted from Jan 15 to May 14 has 14 days.

According to the CIB, those accepted between Nov 15 to Jan 14 has 30 days and those accepted from Jan 15 to May 14 has 14 days.
Holy cow. Well it's a good thing I've already decided to go there if I get accepted!

I feel like we are both in the same boat. Just need that one phone call and I'll gladly drop the money needed for the deposit.

Thank you- any idea on how long you have between accepting the offer and first due date for the deposit?

Thank you- any idea on how long you have between accepting the offer and first due date for the deposit?

First deposit is due Jan 15 ($250), second is due Feb 19 ($750), third is due in May ($1000). I am not sure how it will work if you are accepted after Jan 15. Possibly you pay when you accept the offer? So it would cost $250 for acceptances between Jan 15 - Feb 19, $1000 ($250+$750) between Feb and May, and the whole $2000 if accepted after May. Anyways that's just my guess!

Does anyone know if the admissions office is open to phone calls asking about current application status? I've been complete since mid-September.

Does anyone know if the admissions office is open to phone calls asking about current application status? I've been complete since mid-September.

They are very polite and helpful in admissions, I would recommend calling :)

Have an interview here coming up. Honestly very excited and surprised I got a ii. Would love to go here. Any tips for interview day? Any cool things I should do in Denver afterwards?

Interviewed here recently and loved it. Staff is kind, students seem happy, great location, 2015 match looked awesome. Any current students want to comment on their experience and how they feel about their decision to choose RVU? Would you choose RVU again? What do you like/dislike about RVU? Thank you!!!

Can any current students provide recommendations on what apartments they or their classmate like or ones to avoid? Thanks in advance!

Im a current 3rd year doing rotations in Pueblo...If I recall correctly, they send you a list of all the apartments close by once they've finished the application/interview/accepting process...

More specifically, there are condos/houses (and many more being constructed) literally across the street that I know several of classmates have lived in. I lived in an apt complex call "Coyote Ranch". Good complex with pool/spa/fitness gym/indoor halfcourt for basketball...prob expect to pay ~1100 for a single, or ~1300 for a 2bd room to split with a classmate, which is what I did...There are lots of luxury apartments around the town of Parker. Several classmates lived closer to Denver...more things to do outside of school but you fight traffic/cost/etc

Hope this helped a bit

If anyone wants to PM a question about...anything regarding RVU, I'll be more than happy to reply while im on my quite slow psych rotation...

Again, Im a current 3rd year at RVU :)

Im a current 3rd year doing rotations in Pueblo...If I recall correctly, they send you a list of all the apartments close by once they've finished the application/interview/accepting process...

More specifically, there are condos/houses (and many more being constructed) literally across the street that I know several of classmates have lived in. I lived in an apt complex call "Coyote Ranch". Good complex with pool/spa/fitness gym/indoor halfcourt for basketball...prob expect to pay ~1100 for a single, or ~1300 for a 2bd room to split with a classmate, which is what I did...There are lots of luxury apartments around the town of Parker. Several classmates lived closer to Denver...more things to do outside of school but you fight traffic/cost/etc

Hope this helped a bit
Thanks! I've been going up there to check out apartments the last couple of weeks. This helps a lot!

Rejected pre-interview via portal. The tab changed from applicant to Admissions and this was the notification:

"Thank you for your application to RVUCOM. We regret that due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool, we are not able to extend an interview offer to you this year. We hope that you find a school that is a great fit for you as you continue to pursue your goal of becoming a physician. "

Good luck to everyone still running. I have heard good things about this school.

Interviewed at RVU today. Fantastic staff with even better brownies. The interview is like everyone has described, comfortable and relaxing.

Reactions: 4 users
Looking for applicants experiences with the time between II request to interview. My II has been sitting there for a while...

My secondary was in at the end of November and received my invite on Dec 22nd for and interview on Jan 11th. Just give it time.
Looking for applicants experiences with the time between II request to interview. My II has been sitting there for a while...

Secondary complete 28-Oct
II - 22 December
Interview Date - 12 Jan.

:love:

Secondary complete: August 20

Interview Invite: October 26

Interview: December 2

Accepted call: December 14

Love this school!

Reactions: 2 users
Worth it to send in secondary app? 3.45/27 MCAT.

Does anyone know how full the class is? I'm still waiting for that II. Will they still be sending some out or is it finished at this point?
Not sure how to compare it to last year.

Does anyone know how full the class is? I'm still waiting for that II. Will they still be sending some out or is it finished at this point?
Not sure how to compare it to last year.

@alijen may be able to help with this question. It seems the class was half full December 1