Rosalind Franklin BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They received my application on March 21st, I got official confirmation via email on March 28th that I was undergoing the review process. Received the admissions packet today. No wait list, direct admission.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my application in around the end of March. Never got an "official" complete email. I emailed them to ask about my status and they replied that it was complete and under review. I guess that was official enough haha. I also was directly accepted. Good luck!

For those of you that were accepted, did anybody get the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got directly accepted and did not apply for the scholarship. Has anyone started a Facebook group yet?

Just got accepted today. How does the on campus housing work? I take it you have to apply? Any males looking for a roommate?

Also, I applied for the scholarship but didn't hear anything...

For those of you who just got accepted. You can still submit an on-campus housing request. I submitted my housing application yesterday and got an offer today. Not entirely too sure if I'm going to attend though, so I'm a bit hesitant to put down the $500 housing deposit.

Looking for a Female Roommate to share a 2br Woodlands apartment PM me if you are interested please!

does anyone know when they start looking at the waitlist/when there is supposed to be movement?

so i know classes are out at rfu, any word on how this year's bms students are doing in getting into cms?

Last edited:
*Bump* and anyone hear good news lately regarding the BMS program?

Nope! Still waiting. I was told it takes 4 to 6 weeks to hear back.

i am in the same boat right now (on the alternate list), getting really scared :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to decline my offer so one of you guys can have my spot. :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Do you guys know whether the waitlisted students are ranked in some particular order?

Just withdrew from this program, but still crossing my fingers for CMS! Good luck to you guys. I loved this school but I decided BMS wasn't for me. Good-bye RFU... for now at least. :D

Hey guys,

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!!! Correct me if I'm wrong to assume CMS stands for Chicago Medical School? Thank you in advance! :)

if they do not rank the waitlisted students, then how would they decide who gets spots as they open up?

My guess is that they do rank the wait-list...they just don't reveal the ranking system in case everyone calls them up asking for explanations/answers. From the few times I've called/emailed since getting on the alternate list, I've found that they are extremely tight-lipped about everything related to BMS admissions. They specifically told me they cannot discuss your individual application until after the program has already started (August 13th)...and by then, most of us who haven't gotten off wait-list probably wouldn't really care to know.

Any updates on acceptance, rejections, wait list movement, or turning down acceptances? Also... Any success of 2011-2012 BMSers getting into CMS this year?

Hey everyone, I know this is really late but I've decided to apply to the Biomedical Science program. For one of the essays the question asks to "Include a statement indicating the qualities that would make you a successful candidate for the online components of the program." I was wondering if you guys know what they are referring to or what they are looking for. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

In my personal statement I included about a paragraph about how I would succeed with managing an online class (time management, ability to learn online etc.) I just added it to the bottom of my essay. I also included about a sentence about the specific track I was choosing. Hope that helps!

For AMCAS 2012-2013, are you supposed to report that you will be attending RFU BMS for 2012-2013 academic year? If so, how do you report the future coursework when we haven't registered for classes yet and we don't know what tracks we will be on?

For AMCAS 2012-2013, are you supposed to report that you will be attending RFU BMS for 2012-2013 academic year? If so, how do you report the future coursework when we haven't registered for classes yet and we don't know what tracks we will be on?

Do we list this as a school attended??

Is anybody looking for housing at Woodlands? I'm in the process of renting a 2 bed 1 bath there in the phase two units. looking for a female roommate. PM me if interested.

Sorry already found a roommate.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I just got word that my application is complete and is being put into the system. I wanted to know what my chances are of being accepted to the BMS program. (I applied to RF's med school too, but did not get in)

Here are my stats:
MCAT: 33O
GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.17

Extracurriculars: research assistant (since 9/2011) in social psych, volunteering at doc's office for 2 years and counting, and working part-time as a bank teller

I know I am late in my application and it's rolling admission, hence why I'm curious as to what my chances are. I'm reading that people are being put on the waitlist :scared:

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Even before we report the future coursework, how are you all stating that we will be attending RFU? RFU isn't an option, but I do see CMS. Is that the one we select? Regarding the course work, I plan on entering the medical school courses that we know we will be taking, and then entering the grad classes that I expect to take. I'm sure people have included courses that they will be taking in the future only to not, whether is be that the class was full, courses overlapped, or change of mind. CMS is my top choice, but I would like the few other schools that I will be applying to to know what type of courses I will be taking. Opinions?

I was waitlisted in May, and I just got my acceptance in the mail today!!:laugh: So hopefully some of you wait-listers will hear back soon as well!

I've reserved a spot in the USF MSMS program, but now that I've been accepted into the BMS program, I believe I will be accepting this one instead :)

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, please PM me. I would prefer a female, thanks!

Finally, does anyone know how many people are going to be in this year's BMS program? I thought I read somewhere that this year's class will be a bit smaller than previous year's...but not sure if that's true or not.

I was waitlisted in May, and I just got my acceptance in the mail today!!:laugh: So hopefully some of you wait-listers will hear back soon as well!

I've reserved a spot in the USF MSMS program, but now that I've been accepted into the BMS program, I believe I will be accepting this one instead :)

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, please PM me. I would prefer a female, thanks!

Finally, does anyone know how many people are going to be in this year's BMS program? I thought I read somewhere that this year's class will be a bit smaller than previous year's...but not sure if that's true or not.

Yay! Congrats! I guess there is hope for people on the waitlist then. Do you mind sharing you stats?

Hi, I just finished the BMS year. I didn't put any of the RFU class info in my AMCAS and it was fine, especially if you're just applying to CMS since the school has its own list of all BMS students for the guaranteed interview. Personally I don't think it would matter too much to add them if you were applying to other schools as well. You could put down Medical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Cell Biology at least for sure, since those are the two courses you start the year with.

Hello all,

I just got word that my application is complete and is being put into the system. I wanted to know what my chances are of being accepted to the BMS program. (I applied to RF's med school too, but did not get in)

Here are my stats:
MCAT: 33O
GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.17

Extracurriculars: research assistant (since 9/2011) in social psych, volunteering at doc's office for 2 years and counting, and working part-time as a bank teller

I know I am late in my application and it's rolling admission, hence why I'm curious as to what my chances are. I'm reading that people are being put on the waitlist :scared:

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Looks great to me! I had similar MCAT, lower GPA and I applied around this time last year and got accepted. Good luck :luck:

Is anybody looking for housing at Woodlands? I'm in the process of renting a 2 bed 1 bath there in the phase two units. looking for a female roommate. PM me if interested.

Not sure if the incoming BMS class has a Facebook group yet, but the CMS 2016 class does and someone posted looking for a female roommate there, may be worth inquiring :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/204396559667057/

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Man, I have been waiting to free-load for the longest time. It seems that I have joined a class of freeloaders making it impossible to do so.

Give me your fb profile names. So that I can make a fb group and add you to it. Man this is baaad, when I have to take initiative and do stuff for the rest of the group. This is a bad sign.

I only fear that the day will come where we will all be waiting on each other for exam review sheets and at the end you all will have to depend on the below mediocre one I slap together out of disparity.

Anyone know any other masters programs in Illinois aside from RFU?

Thanks

Hey all,

I'm not sure how many of the 2012 BMS class got into CMS so far this year, but I know it's quite a few. Basically everyone with multiple As got in, and so far, everyone I know who got only Bs in the med courses (no As but no Cs either) also got in. I got my acceptance letter about ten days ago. Some people who got Cs are still waiting to hear back, and they should know their status over the summer. Here's the breakdown for how acceptances went this year:

Everyone who got As in both fall med courses (Cell Bio and Biochem) got accepted in late March. Also people who had a high A in physio at that time got accepted. There might be a few exceptions to the rule, but basically everyone with 2-3 As in med classes by March got in right off the bat. This was maybe 25-30 students if that. It's hard to get As, and everyone knows who's getting them.

There was another wave of acceptances that went out in early May, but I only know of one person who got accepted during this wave.

The rest of us had to wait until the program was over and all grades were in before we knew the status of our apps. For the most part, everyone with at least all Bs in the med courses got in, and that includes people with low Bs. Again, there might be a few exceptions, but I don't know anyone still on hold who had at least all Bs.

Some people with only one C got in, probably those with a C in one med class and an A in another med class. But remember, the adcom at CMS HATES Cs, so avoid getting them, because even an A in neuro may not convince them to let you in if you have a C stinking up your transcript, especially if it's in an easier class.

For the most part, people with Cs got rejected or put on hold. People with Fs were rejected early and need to come back next year and pay through the nose to even get the BMS masters degree.

Now for a few clarifications:

1. There are no Ds at RFU. If you get below a C (<70%), you failed. You need to retake the class to graduate, and you'll never get into CMS. Or probably any other US med school for that matter.

2. There are no + or - on the grades. So for most classes, if you are at a 79.50%, your grade rounds to a B. If your grade is 79.49%, you get a C. No exceptions, and they have heard all the excuses before. I ended Neuro with an 89.1, which is 0.4 points (less than one exam question) away from an A. I tried everything I could to get that grade boosted up to an A, but they don't budge. It sucks, but know the rule. DON'T BE ON THE MARGIN.

3. When talking about grades, I am talking about medical school classes, not the BMS-only classes. BMS students also have to take Topics in Physiology and four online classes throughout the year, which are classes not taken by the M1s. You can get As easily in the online classes, and that should serve as a nice GPA booster. You will be surprised how difficult some of the Topics exams can be, so don't blow that class off. You need to get As and Bs in ALL of your classes, not just the medical classes if you want to get in.

4. It is not easy to get Bs in the medical classes. You have to consistently put in a good amount of work to get Bs, and you have to study an enormous amount to get As. And one poor exam can tank your grade.

5. I don't know how acceptances will go next year, but I can say it is surely advantageous to get As in your fall classes. People who did that got accepted in March before Neuro started. Neuro is generally seen as the hardest course of the year, so people already holding an acceptance letter had all the pressure taken off before the toughest class began. They could relax a bit more and sleep better at night, which is priceless (coming from a student who had to wait for his acceptance).

Bottom line: C's are the kiss of death. Get As in your online classes, and at least Bs in Topics and the medical school classes. Everyone I know who did those things got into CMS already.

Hey all,

I'm not sure how many of the 2012 BMS class got into CMS so far this year, but I know it's quite a few. Basically everyone with multiple As got in, and so far, everyone I know who got only Bs in the med courses (no As but no Cs either) also got in. I got my acceptance letter about ten days ago. Some people who got Cs are still waiting to hear back, and they should know their status over the summer. Here's the breakdown for how acceptances went this year:

Everyone who got As in both fall med courses (Cell Bio and Biochem) got accepted in late March. Also people who had a high A in physio at that time got accepted. There might be a few exceptions to the rule, but basically everyone with 2-3 As in med classes by March got in right off the bat. This was maybe 25-30 students if that. It's hard to get As, and everyone knows who's getting them.

There was another wave of acceptances that went out in early May, but I only know of one person who got accepted during this wave.

The rest of us had to wait until the program was over and all grades were in before we knew the status of our apps. For the most part, everyone with at least all Bs in the med courses got in, and that includes people with low Bs. Again, there might be a few exceptions, but I don't know anyone still on hold who had at least all Bs.

Some people with only one C got in, probably those with a C in one med class and an A in another med class. But remember, the adcom at CMS HATES Cs, so avoid getting them, because even an A in neuro may not convince them to let you in if you have a C stinking up your transcript, especially if it's in an easier class.

For the most part, people with Cs got rejected or put on hold. People with Fs were rejected early and need to come back next year and pay through the nose to even get the BMS masters degree.

Now for a few clarifications:

1. There are no Ds at RFU. If you get below a C (<70%), you failed. You need to retake the class to graduate, and you'll never get into CMS. Or probably any other US med school for that matter.

2. There are no + or - on the grades. So for most classes, if you are at a 79.50%, your grade rounds to a B. If your grade is 79.49%, you get a C. No exceptions, and they have heard all the excuses before. I ended Neuro with an 89.1, which is 0.4 points (less than one exam question) away from an A. I tried everything I could to get that grade boosted up to an A, but they don't budge. It sucks, but know the rule. DON'T BE ON THE MARGIN.

3. When talking about grades, I am talking about medical school classes, not the BMS-only classes. BMS students also have to take Topics in Physiology and four online classes throughout the year, which are classes not taken by the M1s. You can get As easily in the online classes, and that should serve as a nice GPA booster. You will be surprised how difficult some of the Topics exams can be, so don't blow that class off. You need to get As and Bs in ALL of your classes, not just the medical classes if you want to get in.

4. It is not easy to get Bs in the medical classes. You have to consistently put in a good amount of work to get Bs, and you have to study an enormous amount to get As. And one poor exam can tank your grade.

5. I don't know how acceptances will go next year, but I can say it is surely advantageous to get As in your fall classes. People who did that got accepted in March before Neuro started. Neuro is generally seen as the hardest course of the year, so people already holding an acceptance letter had all the pressure taken off before the toughest class began. They could relax a bit more and sleep better at night, which is priceless (coming from a student who had to wait for his acceptance).

Bottom line: C's are the kiss of death. Get As in your online classes, and at least Bs in Topics and the medical school classes. Everyone I know who did those things got into CMS already.

Thanks for the informative and detailed post! How many hours a day on average would you say you spend studying outside of classes? Do you have a whole lot of time left over for recreational activities? And CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCE TO CMS! :thumbup:

does anyone know when most of the waitlist movement is supposed to occur?

Thanks for the informative and detailed post! How many hours a day on average would you say you spend studying outside of classes? Do you have a whole lot of time left over for recreational activities? And CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCE TO CMS! :thumbup:

Thanks aspiringmed. Everyone studies differently. I studied each night for about 6-8 hours outside of class. My strategy was to do flashcards for each lecture BEFOREHAND. Then after the lecture, I would review my deck and add anything I missed before starting on the next day's material. I would stay up however late it took to be ready for the following day, so the duration of my studying varied a lot day-to-day. Some days the lectures were more straightforward than others, and some days (especially during cardio, pulmonary, and basically all of neuro) I'd be up until 3-4 AM. If I was done really early, I'd try to get ahead by a lecture or two. I always found pockets of time to disc golf, socialize, cook, and watch TV, but downtime was definitely rare during some of the more dense workweeks.

Freddie Mercury said:
Looks great to me! I had similar MCAT, lower GPA and I applied around this time last year and got accepted. Good luck :luck:

Thanks so much! I can't wait to hear what they say! I'm waiting in anticipation! :)

Last edited:
Thanks aspiringmed. Everyone studies differently. I studied each night for about 6-8 hours outside of class. My strategy was to do flashcards for each lecture BEFOREHAND. Then after the lecture, I would review my deck and add anything I missed before starting on the next day's material. I would stay up however late it took to be ready for the following day, so the duration of my studying varied a lot day-to-day. Some days the lectures were more straightforward than others, and some days (especially during cardio, pulmonary, and basically all of neuro) I'd be up until 3-4 AM. If I was done really early, I'd try to get ahead by a lecture or two. I always found pockets of time to disc golf, socialize, cook, and watch TV, but downtime was definitely rare during some of the more dense workweeks.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom. We REALLY appreciate it and now know exactly what needs to be done to be successful in this program. Again, appreciate it tons!

is there anything anyone would suggest I do to move off the waitlist?
I have already sent in my spring grades, and I am taking the MCAT again on June 21.
Would a letter help?
Sorry to keep bringing the subject back to the waitlist, it's just super stressful and as time goes on I've been feeling more and more discouraged :(
any help is appreciated :) congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

I have already sent in my spring grades, and I am taking the MCAT again on June 21.
Would a letter help?
Sorry to keep bringing the subject back to the waitlist, it's just super stressful and as time goes on I've been feeling more and more discouraged :(

You can always send a message to Professor Riblon or to Melissa requesting information about the status of your application and other wait list statistics so you have a better idea of where you stand.

:luck:

Would a letter help?

I know exactly how you are feeling. I am also on the waitlist.

I asked Melissa last week if I could send in a cover letter or more lors and she said that they don't accept additional materials since my application has already been reviewed. So, I don't know what to do but just wait.

You can always send a message to Professor Riblon or to Melissa requesting information about the status of your application and other wait list statistics so you have a better idea of where you stand.

:luck:
How could we reach Melissa? I don't think her contact information is provided on the school's website. Thank you in advance for your help!