Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was just accepted to this program yesterday.
submitted: 5/20
verified: 5/27
complete: 6/2
accepted: 6/11

They seem to have a pretty quick turnaround even for those applying this late so wanted to let everyone know about the timeline at this point.
cgpa 3.0 sgpa 3.4 MCAT 31

Does anyone know the contact number for Navy housing?

Members don't see this ad.

Love how much activity there is on this thread.

So apparently about 50-60% of the BMS class is accepted into CMS. What about the other 40%? Are most people accepted into other med schools or are their applications simply not considered competitive?

Also, is this program widely regarded by other schools or is it only useful for getting into CMS?

Bump

From what I've gathered from previous threads, the people who do not matriculate into CMS have generally been accepted into other programs. Im sure there have been students who did not get into CMS or any other school. Thats what makes this program a slight gamble.

And I believe the BMS program holds most of its weight for getting into CMS only. However, I am not entirely sure. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm BMS, accepted into CMS.

IMHO, there is no reason to do BMS unless you want to go to CMS. It's just too hard, demanding, and expensive of a program otherwise. Roughly half get in, and half don't. The half that don't get in choose other non-MD programs which they likely would have gotten into w/o BMS. Some BMS students do get accepted into other medical schools, but you can count that number on one hand missing one or two fingers, and it is arguable whether or not they needed BMS in the first place.

And people do fail BMS; it's one of those dark secrets which never get discussed. You don't want to be in a position of having to explain to other schools why you failed a program, especially a program with such little name recognition outside of North Chicago.

WTBS, I still recommend BMS. It's one hell of a program and if you work hard, there's no reason why you won't get the CMS acceptance.

Some posters have commented that BMS isn't competitive and that you're only judged by the M1 curve. That's ridiculous. Of course BMS is competitive! All things in life, including BMS, is a competition. You have to roughly finish in the top half of the class irrespective of any M1 curve.

How do you know whether you're in the top half of the class? if you can't figure it out after the winter quarter, you're likely in the bottom half.

IMHO, there is no reason to do BMS unless you want to go to CMS. It's just too hard, demanding, and expensive of a program otherwise. Roughly half get in, and half don't. The half that don't get in choose other non-MD programs which they likely would have gotten into w/o BMS. Some BMS students do get accepted into other medical schools, but you can count that number on one hand missing one or two fingers, and it is arguable whether or not they needed BMS in the first place.

And people do fail BMS; it's one of those dark secrets which never get discussed. You don't want to be in a position of having to explain to other schools why you failed a program, especially a program with such little name recognition outside of North Chicago.

WTBS, I still recommend BMS. It's one hell of a program and if you work hard, there's no reason why you won't get the CMS acceptance.

Some posters have commented that BMS isn't competitive and that you're only judged by the M1 curve. That's ridiculous. Of course BMS is competitive! All things in life, including BMS, is a competition. You have to roughly finish in the top half of the class irrespective of any M1 curve.

How do you know whether you're in the top half of the class? if you can't figure it out after the winter quarter, you're likely in the bottom half.

I mostly agree with you.

I think the only person you're competing with is yourself though. I think if everyone made straight A's, they'd probably all get into CMS but the reality is that isn't going to happen, if we were all that caliber of student we would all have gotten in to med school the normal way.

At the end of the day, it's hard to perform consistently well through all your classes and not slip up more than you can recover from. A 50 on an exam that's 25-35% of your grade for an entire course is nearly a death sentence and can happen very easily at any point in the year. I think about 20 dropped out for one reason or another from an initial ~115 students, and I'm sure there were more that stuck it out to the end but knew they weren't going to have grades competitive for CMS. I don't know what the final number of BMSers is that got in, but I still think the acceptance rate for those who had decent grades is pretty high. Sure if you look at 50 out of 115, that's not that great, but that's including everyone that just outright wasn't going to get in. They say "Don't get a C" and they mean it. You very well may sneak in with one high C if your grades are otherwise really good, but I would not count on it in any way shape or form. I would guesstimate there were probably around 60 to maybe 70 (tops) BMSers without a single C (based on looking at the grade distributions, only guessing since they were inclusive of M1's as well), but even that may be a little overly optimistic. And 50 acceptances (perhaps more) out of 60 or 70 who met the only benchmark we know of (since they tell you there are no guarantees from the start), is pretty damn good odds if you ask me.

Would I recommend BMS? Absolutely, but you should do two things first. One, make sure your resume is stacked going in. The more research/EC's/volunteering/etc you have going in, the better. You might convince them to let you in with very borderline grades and a ton of prior experience and demonstrated dedication to the field, but you will not if you have those same grades and have a mere 50 hours of shadowing and been a member of the premed club for two years. Take a year off between undergrad and BMS, do some research AND work in the hospital as a scribe or patient care tech, there's no reason to go in without all the ammunition you can gather. Two, sit down and really think about whether you have what it takes academically. Did you work your butt off in undergrad to make C's and B'S? Or were you like me and got terrible grades (but got by) because you were doing everything except for studying. Did you really struggle with the MCAT despite studying for months on end? Being a good test taker is HUGE and can easily be the difference between being a routinely high C and mid B student with the same level of knowledge going in. The classes here are much harder, much more in depth, much more comprehensive, and much more detailed than undergrad classes. An entire year of undergrad biochem was child's play compared with the ~10 week medical biochemistry course, and your undergrad neuroscience courses were really not much more than a primer for the beating that is medical neuroscience (and it was my favorite class of the year).

Know your weaknesses and figure out whether you think you can compensate for it in some way. For some, that's spending 8-12 hours a day in the library, for others, you'll have to get creative and figure out what works for you within the first two tests of the year because that's about all the time you have to iron out the kinks. For me, I gained a lot of prior knowledge from working in the medical field and I think that helped me a ton. I just had to brute force it, and the number of hours i put in directly correlated with my grade on any given test, and I was not afraid to put in 100 hours studying the week leading up to the hardest tests of the year. You're gambling $60k+ on yourself, you can either make it a well calculated risk if you know you can do it, or a shot in the dark gamble if you're not honest with yourself about your own abilities.

Reactions: 2 users

I was on the fence about doing this program, because my stats are sooo boarderline for medical schools. This kind of made me scared to do the program. My reasoning has always been, if I can't hack it in this program, I can't hack it in medical school. Is the program comparable to the medical school courseload? Or is it harder? Is it one of those things where if you study hard you will be fine or are there some people that no matter how hard they try they don't do well? Also what if you need help with something? Are there resources/are the professors helpful or are you completely on your own?

I was on the fence about doing this program, because my stats are sooo boarderline for medical schools. This kind of made me scared to do the program. My reasoning has always been, if I can't hack it in this program, I can't hack it in medical school. Is the program comparable to the medical school courseload? Or is it harder? Is it one of those things where if you study hard you will be fine or are there some people that no matter how hard they try they don't do well? Also what if you need help with something? Are there resources/are the professors helpful or are you completely on your own?

I was pretty scared going in too, I think everyone is to some extent. I went in with a good MCAT, but probably one of the lowest GPA's around. To an extent, if you can't hack it in the program, you probably can't hack it in med school, but only because these are med school classes and I really don't think that reflects on any one person's intelligence. There are good clinicians who did not do so hot in med school, but at the end of the day, you have to make the grades and you have to pass the Step. Had I flunked out of BMS, I would have given up on medicine. Had I gotten C's and B's in BMS and not gotten into CMS, I would have probably still gone DO or Caribbean.

One thing to remember is we don't have the same full courseload that the M1's do. Sure we have some extra stuff, HIPs, TIPs, and online track classes, but those are mainly just busywork/timesinks so that you don't have half the M1 load with all the time in the world to study. That having been said, there is still plenty of time to do the work, and if you work hard in all likelihood you can and will make it. The classes are hard though, and it's really hard to know 85% of the material across the board (the mark I would say keeps you in a pretty good position) whereas the M1's only need to make a 69.5 to pass and make it through, but again, we have about half the med school courseload for most of the year, though towards the very end we have nearly the same load between physio and neuro.

There are plenty of resources all over the place to help you do well. The lectures are recorded, the course notes are written by the professors specifically for the class (unlike many that teach from textbooks where the book and their lectures don't really match up), there are small groups, large groups, you can find tutors (I used one at the beginning of the year to help me learn to pickout the important information from the not so important information, totally worth the $30 an hour), other BMS students were always willing to help draw things out or explain it, and you can go see professors during office hours and many of them (or TA's) do exam review sessions before each one as well. I personally am not one to study in groups, I get distracted and don't get as much done, but never once did I feel it was cut throat in any way or that I couldn't find help with ease.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, we can look at the numbers another way.

I'm not sure but you say that we had a total of ~115 at the start of the year. I guess that's about right.

I know that once CMS acceptances started rolling in, there were only ~90 or so people in the class, because about 25 people dropped out for whatever reason.

Of those 90, I guess about ~20 people got an early rejection from CMS. So we're left with a pool of ~70.

These 70 all thought they had done enough to get an acceptance. But as it stands, only ~55 have been accepted. The other 15 are still waiting despite a full class.

I feel that the true % linkage is 55/115 = 48% which will edge up to 50% as the waitlist moves.

I came into BMS thinking there would be a ~60% linkage rate. It's dropped quite a bit.

FYI people have gotten into CMS with C's. which means that more than a few people have gotten C's. It's not a deal breaker as some suggest but just know where you can get a C and where you can't. You can probably get by with a C in cell bio but not in physio.

Last edited:
What do you mean so borderline? If you spent a solid year taking classes (post bacc), studying/retaking the MCAT, doing research, and/or doing clinical work (depending on what your particular weaknesses are), would you be competitive and probably get into a med school somewhere? If so, my advice would be to do that, make your AMCAS as strong as possible and then simultaneously apply to med schools and BMS. IMO, an SMP like BMS should be a last resort to get into a US MD school. Kind of like @lesterbarley said, you want to strengthen your application as much as possible prior to BMS since you will have very little time to dedicate to strengthening your AMCAS (the highest yield thing to do during BMS is study and max out your grades anyway). And if you ended up getting into med school directly, you'd have saved yourself ~$60K plus interest by taking that year instead of BMS right away.

I had the same reasoning as you, I figured if I couldn't do well in med school classes at a lower intensity course load than a regular medical student, then I wasn't really cut out for medical school anyway. Admittedly, the bare minimum threshold for performance is higher for a BMS student to get into CMS than for an M1 in CMS (i.e. you can't just pass your classes and continue on, like an M1 could, generally you need to excel).

In terms of difficulty, the classes are the same as the medical school (same exams, etc...), except you generally have way more time to study and dedicate to each class than a traditional M1. In that sense, it's easier to get higher grades since you can spend more time learning the details that will show up on questions and are necessary to get high grades. But again, it can be "harder" because you can't get C's and really low B's if you expect to get into CMS. Sure, some people got in with C's or lower B's, but I'm sure that not all of their grades were in that range. And those people very well may have had something unique or outstanding on their AMCAS application that is harder to quantify and generalize from. Personally, I went in assuming that I needed to maintain at least 85%+, and ideally all A's, to get into CMS. Going in with lower expectations will not do you any favors, even if people do get in with lower grades.

On the bright side, class performance seemed to correlate strongly with the amount of time I invested studying. Exams where I was really focused and putting in solid, efficient study hours every day, I did very well. Ones where I was burnt out or slacked off and admittedly didn't do as much work as I wanted or should have, did not go as well. I had the luxury of already holding a conditional acceptance by the time I slacked off a little, so there was much less pressure (I wasn't slacking off enough to worry about getting a C, so I wasn't worried about losing my conditional acceptance). In that respect, my advice would be to absolutely overstudy and kill as many exams in the first two quarters as possible. It may get you in early (which is an enormous stress relief) or at a minimum it will afford you a buffer should anything go wrong later. And something may, since spring quarter is definitely the hardest/most work by far (IMO).

In terms of resources for help, there seem to be plenty. Outside of reviews for exams led by older students or the occasional faculty member, I only really sought help from other BMS that I studied with or the occasional M1A TA. It really is a collaborative, helpful environment and people help each other out all the time. Someone mentioned something about the program being competitive earlier, which I completely disagree with. My friends would always help me when I needed it and vice versa. IMO, one of the best ways to learn is by teaching someone else and by being asked questions you had not thought of, so it really is in your best interest to help others as well.

I rambled a little bit more than I expected, but hopefully some of this is helpful for prospective/incoming BMSers.

Reactions: 1 users

I agree that BMS is most useful for getting into CMS. I don't think I heard of anyone who got in a different medical school (MD or DO) because of BMS (I know people did, but I'd wager that their AMCAS application was already good enough or borderline and that a simple post bacc/extra year of application boosting would have been sufficient... but I could be wrong).

In some respects, everything is a competition, I agree. However, I don't believe that there is an internal competition within BMS. The reason the acceptance stays around ~50% is probably more of a function of how students perform compared to the M1s, on average, than of some predetermined quota that CMS will accept. If the entire class of BMS students was getting solid A's on every exam, while the M1 average was the same as normal (low 80's), I see absolutely no reason why CMS wouldn't accept everyone (barring some crazy red flags or terrible interview). They would be known quantity high achieving students, and I cannot see why CMS would not want them. All it would do is replace the lower caliber external applicants they would normally have to accept, making the class stronger as a whole. This is an extreme example that I would never expect to happen, but the general idea is relevant. If you can show consistent, strong performance compared to the M1's, you have a good shot of getting into CMS. If you're in the bottom half of BMS, you are likely not doing that. As such you will likely not get in, but it is not because you were in the bottom half of BMS, it's because your grades were not that high compared to the M1s.

Well, we can look at the numbers another way.

I'm not sure but you say that we had a total of ~115 at the start of the year. I guess that's about right.

I know that once CMS acceptances started rolling in, there were only ~90 or so people in the class, because about 25 people dropped out for whatever reason.

Of those 90, I guess about ~20 people got an early rejection from CMS. So we're left with a pool of ~70.

These 70 all thought they had done enough to get an acceptance. But as it stands, only ~55 have been accepted. The other 15 are still waiting despite a full class.

I feel that the true % linkage is 55/115 = 48% which will edge up to 50% as the waitlist moves.

I came into BMS thinking there would be a ~60% linkage rate. It's dropped quite a bit.

FYI people have gotten into CMS with C's. which means that more than a few people have gotten C's. It's not a deal breaker as some suggest but just know where you can get a C and where you can't. You can probably get by with a C in cell bio but not in physio.

IMO, a ~50% linkage is better odds than almost anyone in BMS would have as an external applicant to medical school in general. And as I discussed above, it's not a fixed 50%, it depends on the performance of each student. Unless you know BMSers with all mid B's, no red flags, or bombed interviews that didn't get in, I think it's a reasonable assumption that the performance of each member of the group will dictate the acceptance rate.

Also, like you said, all C's are not created equal. Not only does the course matter (CMCB or Biochem won't be as big of a deal as Physio or Neuro), but also the % grade (a 70% is very different from a 79%). People getting really high C's (~79%) in CMCB/Biochem and turning it around and performing well (85%+) in Physio/Neuro are not the same as those barely passing (~70%) and then barely getting B's (79.9% or something) although both would have similar letter grades on their transcript. In that respect, talking about what letter grades you need is a little misleading.

BMS is not a guarantee and it is a huge gamble, those have always been and still are true. You could simply have one thing go wrong and fail to make the cut, which is why I suggest BMS be a last resort after you've strengthened your AMCAS after undergrad, but still are a weak applicant (but maybe I'm biased because that's what I did?). For those that come in ready to study their ass off and kill the program (and get a little bit lucky that no emergencies or major illnesses come their way during the year), BMS provides an excellent opportunity to get into medicine when it might otherwise be extraordinarily difficult/unlikely. I doubt I would have gotten into a US MD school without BMS, despite a year of extra classes, research, and a new MCAT. But all of that work between undergrad and BMS definitely set me up to do well here, and it paid off.

TL;DR Don't get hung up on the acceptance rate from year to year, it looks like they generally accept students if they perform well and there is no maximum number of BMSers that can get in - but yes, this is a huge gamble. Set yourself up to succeed in advance to maximize your chances.

As someone who was recently accepted into RFU Medical School through the RFU BMS program I would strongly recommend this program to any student interested. The course load is tough but if you are focused you will get in. Just make sure you get all A's or B's. I think your past EC's can help but what's more important is your academic performance in the program. You aren't competing against other students you are just proving to the RFU medical school committtee that you are capable of succeeding in the program. Anyways, good luck to you all!

Assuming I do well in the BMS program, it seems like I'd be spending my next 4 years at CMS.
1. Is it worthwhile to visit the School and make sure it's a good fit?
2. Past BMSers, is there anything you wish you knew going in to the program that you didn't?

I just read this post and got a surge of terrifying memories from the year of studying haha...this person speaks the truth. It proves that you need to know for a fact that you're ready to buckle down and shoot for A's. You may not get straight A's but you better be doing well enough to place yourself in the top 50%. Once you do, please do not screw up the interview. Be honest and humble about your experiences. If you stay true to yourself and focus on what needs to be done rather than worrying about other people, then I'm sure that most of you will do just fine.

Good luck everyone! See you all at orientation as an M1A :))

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that BMS is most useful for getting into CMS. I don't think I heard of anyone who got in a different medical school (MD or DO) because of BMS (I know people did, but I'd wager that their AMCAS application was already good enough or borderline and that a simple post bacc/extra year of application boosting would have been sufficient... but I could be wrong).

In some respects, everything is a competition, I agree. However, I don't believe that there is an internal competition within BMS. The reason the acceptance stays around ~50% is probably more of a function of how students perform compared to the M1s, on average, than of some predetermined quota that CMS will accept. If the entire class of BMS students was getting solid A's on every exam, while the M1 average was the same as normal (low 80's), I see absolutely no reason why CMS wouldn't accept everyone (barring some crazy red flags or terrible interview). They would be known quantity high achieving students, and I cannot see why CMS would not want them. All it would do is replace the lower caliber external applicants they would normally have to accept, making the class stronger as a whole. This is an extreme example that I would never expect to happen, but the general idea is relevant. If you can show consistent, strong performance compared to the M1's, you have a good shot of getting into CMS. If you're in the bottom half of BMS, you are likely not doing that. As such you will likely not get in, but it is not because you were in the bottom half of BMS, it's because your grades were not that high compared to the M1s.

IMO, a ~50% linkage is better odds than almost anyone in BMS would have as an external applicant to medical school in general. And as I discussed above, it's not a fixed 50%, it depends on the performance of each student. Unless you know BMSers with all mid B's, no red flags, or bombed interviews that didn't get in, I think it's a reasonable assumption that the performance of each member of the group will dictate the acceptance rate.

Also, like you said, all C's are not created equal. Not only does the course matter (CMCB or Biochem won't be as big of a deal as Physio or Neuro), but also the % grade (a 70% is very different from a 79%). People getting really high C's (~79%) in CMCB/Biochem and turning it around and performing well (85%+) in Physio/Neuro are not the same as those barely passing (~70%) and then barely getting B's (79.9% or something) although both would have similar letter grades on their transcript. In that respect, talking about what letter grades you need is a little misleading.

BMS is not a guarantee and it is a huge gamble, those have always been and still are true. You could simply have one thing go wrong and fail to make the cut, which is why I suggest BMS be a last resort after you've strengthened your AMCAS after undergrad, but still are a weak applicant (but maybe I'm biased because that's what I did?). For those that come in ready to study their ass off and kill the program (and get a little bit lucky that no emergencies or major illnesses come their way during the year), BMS provides an excellent opportunity to get into medicine when it might otherwise be extraordinarily difficult/unlikely. I doubt I would have gotten into a US MD school without BMS, despite a year of extra classes, research, and a new MCAT. But all of that work between undergrad and BMS definitely set me up to do well here, and it paid off.

TL;DR Don't get hung up on the acceptance rate from year to year, it looks like they generally accept students if they perform well and there is no maximum number of BMSers that can get in - but yes, this is a huge gamble. Set yourself up to succeed in advance to maximize your chances.
Love this post! Good explanation.

Assuming I do well in the BMS program, it seems like I'd be spending my next 4 years at CMS.
1. Is it worthwhile to visit the School and make sure it's a good fit?
2. Past BMSers, is there anything you wish you knew going in to the program that you didn't?

#1: Depends on whether you have the luxury of another MD school as an option should you decide not to matriculate into CMS. If this is your only option to get into a US MD school, then it wouldn't really matter whether the school is to your liking. Just know that the people here are awesome and willing to help. You just need to hold up your end of the bargain by maintaining good grades.

#2: Not really. I knew that I was going to have to work my butt off going in and place somewhere in the top 50%. It really is a year-long interview so don't do anything stupid over the year and DO NOT screw up the interview. Everything else will pan out on its own. You'll learn along the way. Nothing will be hidden from you and there is no special advice that will give you an edge over other students. Set your mind straight over the summer and be ready to work when you arrive!

Last edited:
Do BMSer's gain any advantage from turning in their AMCAS app on the 1st day? Or disadvantage for not submitting AMCAS until late June?

I'm guessing it doesn't really matter, but I just want to double check

Do BMSer's gain any advantage from turning in their AMCAS app on the 1st day? Or disadvantage for not submitting AMCAS until late June?

As far as your CMS applications is concerned it doesn't matter as long as you submit it before the deadline. Although, you might want to have it done before BMS starts for the convenience.

I went on a self-guided tour of the school today and ran into Dr. Riblon (the BMS chair). She graciously answered any questions I had, including this one. There is no advantage to submitting the AMCAS early except for having it done before the program starts, which she said is CRUCIAL. We will be so busy that it would be adding unnecessary stress to ourselves while we should be focusing on our classes right away.

Hey Guys,
due to some issues with my transcript, my application got completed right now!
my GPA & MCAT are exactly as same as 2014 profile!!! had shadowing, clinical volunteer & lots of extra curr.
I could see this year averages are noticeably higher than last year (btw Congratsssss to all of you who already got in :highfive: )
considering my average marks & late submission, do you guys think I should have some hopes?

ps: of course no one could say 100%, I just want some opinions based on previous similar stories

The only crucial deadline for AMCAS is the final November date, whatever it may be. You don't have to have it finished by the time school starts, but I would at least have your LORs lined up and personal statement written and revised a time or two.

There is time to work on it during the year, but there's no reason not to have a large portion of it done and just do some revision throughout the fall.

Hey Guys,
my GPA & MCAT are exactly as same as 2014 profile!!! had shadowing, clinical volunteer & lots of extra curr.
I could see this year averages are noticeably higher than last year (btw Congratsssss to all of you who already got in :highfive: )
considering my average marks & late submission, do you guys think I should have some hopes?

ps: of course no one could say 100%, I just want some opinions based on previous similar stories

What makes you say this year's averages are higher than last? The people who post on SDN are generally not a representative sample.

Obviously we can't tell you if you'll get in or not, but being average means you're right where most people are, so it should be fine, unless you've got red flags or something that you didn't mention. Don't worry about how late in the cycle you applied, it's not like AMCAS and med school apps in that respect (imo). FWIW, I applied on like the last day or something last year. Anyway, you've applied and can't do anything else now so don't worry about it.

Hey Guys,

Hey Maryam1365,

I was complete last week and received my acceptance yesterday. If that gives you some peace of mind.

For what it's worth...I know a guy that got a 22-23 MCAT and had a 3.2 GPA and 3.0 science GPA from undergrad that got accepted into the program....He took 1 year off after undergrad and then did the BMS program for a year and the school didn't accept him at the end of it because he got 1 or 2 C's throughout the year with A's and B's as well. He did research for the following year with a Rosalind Franklin professor for a year and then somehow got accepted without retaking MCAT...Did having his father be CMS alum from the 80's help? Probably.

There's a $h1tstorm at Toledos SMP. BMS has become that much more valuable. Be lucky all you who got accepted.

Last edited:
I just realized that RFU requires biochem lab for 2016 CMS matriculation. Does anyone know how this might work for those of us doing BMS? If not I'll call Monday and find out and let you guys know.

Going off of what @ClassicJandT wrote - can the Biochem course we take in BMS be used as the Biochem prereq needed for CMS?

It's not a lab. I would call, they might take it, they might not. With the new MCAT required beginning next cycle and the curriculum being "reimagined" at CMS at some point in the next couple/few years, nobody can really say for sure but the school.

I just realized that RFU requires biochem lab for 2016 CMS matriculation. Does anyone know how this might work for those of us doing BMS? If not I'll call Monday and find out and let you guys know.

I would love to hear what they let you know. It's a little late to call, but I'll try tomorrow too.

What did you find out? Their website says you need a biochem lab or research lab this year. I don't have either.

Don't call the admissions office, because they won't know anything about the biochem lab requirement. They don't set the rules for CMS or BMS. I would take it straight to the BMS head...(for those accepted, you know who this is.)

Most likely scenario is that the BMS department will negotiate with CMS so that the biochem lab requirement will be waived for BMSers.

I would love to hear what they let you know. It's a little late to call, but I'll try tomorrow too.

What did you find out? Their website says you need a biochem lab or research lab this year. I don't have either.

Don't call the admissions office, because they won't know anything about the biochem lab requirement. They don't set the rules for CMS or BMS. I would take it straight to the BMS head...(for those accepted, you know who this is.)

Most likely scenario is that the BMS department will negotiate with CMS so that the biochem lab requirement will be waived for BMSers.
I called and left a message yesterday at the admissions and recruitment office, but have not received a phone call back yet. I'm actually leaning away from BMS due to program cost and my own risk averse nature. I'm likely going to be declining my acceptance. Someone who is actually going to do the BMS program should call and find out. @first_time_poster suggests asking the head of the BMS program instead. I believe that person is Dr. Riblon, but not sure how to reach her. Good luck with the program, everyone.

I would email / call that person right away. i feel funny leaving an email, but just do a search and you'll find it.

Just one thing...did you future BMSers see the new CMS class requirements before applying to BMS? Because if you did, you might be out of luck. It's hard to change things after the fact.

I called and left a message yesterday at the admissions and recruitment office, but have not received a phone call back yet. I'm actually leaning away from BMS due to program cost and my own risk averse nature. I'm likely going to be declining my acceptance. Someone who is actually going to do the BMS program should call and find out. @first_time_poster suggests asking the head of the BMS program instead. I believe that person is Dr. Riblon, but not sure how to reach her. Good luck with the program, everyone.

I would email / call that person right away. i feel funny leaving an email, but just do a search and you'll find it.

Just one thing...did you future BMSers see the new CMS class requirements before applying to BMS? Because if you did, you might be out of luck. It's hard to change things after the fact.

Here's the response I got from Dr. Riblon: "For the class that enters BMS in August of 2015, students who enter BMS without Biochemistry, but pass the Biochemistry course in the BMS program will meet the Biochemistry prerequisite requirement as it pertains to CMS prerequisites."

I hope that gives you incoming BMSers who did not take biochemistry some reassurance.

I'm assuming that the lab portion is waived as well? I know that the BMS Biochem does not have a lab so I really hope that there are no complications later on. I don't have the 1 term research lab either

I'm assuming that the lab portion is waived as well? I know that the BMS Biochem does not have a lab so I really hope that there are no complications later on. I don't have the 1 term research lab either

Confirmed that yes, passing the biochem course in the BMS program will meet the biochem lecture and lab prereq requirements if you get into CMS.

Anyone want to weigh in on the tracks available? Is there any track that sucks up a lot of time compared to the others? I am thinking about doing nutrition.

IMHO people say that nutrition and business take up a lot of time; only do it if you want to do it. Most people stick with leadership and it doesn't seem to cause them any problems. I heard good things about education too: not that much of a time commitment.

So where is everyone living? I've heard good things about the navy housing across the way. I feel like I should figure this out soon. Does anyone know the cost of living they allow? (if that's even how you phrase it?)

In need of advice, here is my situation: I've secured my spot in this program and I'm awaiting a decision from Loyola MAMS. I'm pretty sure I'll attend RFU regardless of my Loyola outcome but I'm hesitant to commit 100%. One of my main concerns is getting a place at Woodlands because I might not have a car.

Here's my main dilemma: I'm just below the cutoff for the guaranteed med school interview through Loyola MAMS so RFU is more attractive in that respect. However, I love the location of Loyola's Lakeshore campus and and think the school may be a bit more prestigious from what I've read on their forum. Should I just forget about Loyola and secure my Woodlands apartment, thus committing myself to RFU for sure? Thanks in advance!

In need of advice, here is my situation: I've secured my spot in this program and I'm awaiting a decision from Loyola MAMS. I'm pretty sure I'll attend RFU regardless of my Loyola outcome but I'm hesitant to commit 100%. One of my main concerns is getting a place at Woodlands because I might not have a car.

Here's my main dilemma: I'm just below the cutoff for the guaranteed med school interview through Loyola MAMS so RFU is more attractive in that respect. However, I love the location of Loyola's Lakeshore campus and and think the school may be a bit more prestigious from what I've read on their forum. Should I just forget about Loyola and secure my Woodlands apartment, thus committing myself to RFU for sure? Thanks in advance!

I will be doing BMS, so obviously I am biased... but I will try to help you think this out.

You are guaranteed an interview at RFU, not at Loyola. These programs are a gamble and we all know this. I would choose the program that leaves less unknown. On the subject of prestige, medical school is medical school. At the end of the day I want to be a physician, not some bitter dude who is $60,000 in debt and nothing to show for it.

I will be doing BMS, so obviously I am biased... but I will try to help you think this out.

You are guaranteed an interview at RFU, not at Loyola. These programs are a gamble and we all know this. I would choose the program that leaves less unknown. On the subject of prestige, medical school is medical school. At the end of the day I want to be a physician, not some bitter dude who is $60,000 in debt and nothing to show for it.
Thanks for the advice! I was already at 95% certainty for RFU but I just wanted to make sure I considered all my options. I was very impressed with the facilities and faculty when I visited so I'm not quite sure why I'm holding back. I just wanted to get some input from potential future classmates.

Hey, even after the end of this program, you can still be that bitter dude who is $ 60,000 in debt.

And something else to think about. I don't know how significant that Loyola master's degree is: any research involved? The RFU master's degree isn't really worth anything, because it's not a traditional master's degree. Let's just say I won't be putting an M.S. after my name: too pretentious in my opinion.

If you'd rather have a chance at Loyola Med than CMS, that should play a part in your thinking. Only do BMS if you want to go to CMS.

Congratulation to those who got accepted in the BMS this year. I would liked to know how long will it take between the time RFU sends the " application complete" email and the time they mention their decision?

Is there any Canadian got accepted to this program this year? What did you do to get loans?

Congratulation to those who got accepted in the BMS this year. I would liked to know how long will it take between the time RFU sends the " application complete" email and the time they mention their decision?

I had a 9 day turnaround from complete to acceptance: was complete 6/2 and accepted 6/11. Others seem to be reporting a similar timeline.

I had a 9 day turnaround from complete to acceptance: was complete 6/2 and accepted 6/11. Others seem to be reporting a similar timeline.
Thanks.... I got my complete on Monday and now waiting.... Days pass very slowly!

Just FYI, Stritch school of medicine is not at the lakeshore campus. It is located in Maywood, IL (a low income suburb that is very far from the lakeshore to say the least lol)

Anyway, from what you have stated I would recommend sticking with BMS due to what everyone else already said. Good luck!

Just FYI, Stritch school of medicine is not at the lakeshore campus. It is located in Maywood, IL (a low income suburb that is very far from the lakeshore to say the least lol)

Anyway, from what you have stated I would recommend sticking with BMS due to what everyone else already said. Good luck!

True that, RFUMS is closer to lake than Stritch haha