Rosalind Franklin BMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure if I would believe that. Usually SMPs are for people with decent/high MCATs with poor or weak undergraduate performance. "has no weight" I would be very skeptical of that.
nah, this BMS program is kinda different, plenty of people i knew in the different years that had piss poor mcats, avg undergrad performance. Really just get into the program, get all As, dont be socially akward during your interviews (harder said than done) and ull be in.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if I would believe that. Usually SMPs are for people with decent/high MCATs with poor or weak undergraduate performance. "has no weight" I would be very skeptical of that.
Hey, building off what cptnjack said, I'm a current BMS student and although it does seem like a dubious claim it is real. At the start of the BMS year the Vice-Dean of CMS admissions (the med school here) had a large Q&A session where she mentioned that if your MCAT was good enough to get into BMS, it's good enough for CMS as long as you follow the standards that cptnjack talked about. Could she have been lying to all our faces? Sure, it's not impossible. Is her claim probably true? Yeah probably, considering shes the Vice-Dean of med school admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, building off what cptnjack said, I'm a current BMS student and although it does seem like a dubious claim it is real. At the start of the BMS year the Vice-Dean of CMS admissions (the med school here) had a large Q&A session where she mentioned that if your MCAT was good enough to get into BMS, it's good enough for CMS as long as you follow the standards that cptnjack talked about. Could she have been lying to all our faces? Sure, it's not impossible. Is her claim probably true? Yeah probably, considering shes the Vice-Dean of med school admissions.
How’s the program going? Would you mind giving a review?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'd love to give a quick check in! So we currently have an exam coming up in about a week and a half, which is combined exam #2 covering Biochem and CMCB. First five weeks involved a lot of work with either Pop Health or Heath Admin, which are the two online course options you have. I did Pop Health and it was a fair amount of essays and discussion posts, but definitely doable. We also had a class called Foundations of Clinical Medicine, which was a Pass/Fail course that was very similar to an EMT-B course. So those first five weeks were really easy. I used them to get ahead in as much as I could, since I expected to be hit hard once Biochem & CMCB started, which turned out to be a good idea. Exams are every three weeks, and I did pretty decently on the first combined exam.

I genuinely feel that the professors and advisors are here to help, and I feel that I have a good amount of resources to help me succeed. We have MMI practice starting this week to give everyone a good amount of support for the interviews. The amount of material to cover is huge, at least for me. I like to think that I'm not the dumbest guy in the room, but definitely not the smartest. I was pretty lazy in undergrad, which is my own fault, so now I feel ready to grind away at this to get into CMS. I study roughly 8 hours a day. Not 8 hours of sitting in the library messing around, but 8 hours of fairly concentrated study. The first three weeks had about 6 lectures a week, these three have about 9 lectures a week, and next exam period has about 12 per week. So the difficulty does seem to ramp up, but so does my own readiness and ability to process the material. Sorry for the unorganized spew of info. I'd be happy to try to answer whatever questions I can.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I'm a BMS current student and I was wondering if there are any old alumni who can please answer some questions for me. I'm an OOS student coming to BMS with a low MCAT (sub 500) and 3.4 UG GPA. In the program so far, I have not been doing too well after the second exam. On the first exam I received mid/low 80s for CMCB and Biochem. But on the second exam I got high 70s, which leaves me at a borderline right now for the Bs in both courses. I do plan to work really hard and try my best to finish off the courses strong for the remaining two exams. Realistically, I think I can attain Bs in both CMCB and Biochem, while having As in the certificate courses. My question is: Is it actually possible to get into CMS with getting Bs in both of those classes? I am a very strong interviewer and I hope to kill the interview as well. Are there any alumni out there who were or have any friends who were in a similar situation with also having the same stats coming into the program? How did the program play out for them? Any suggestions on how I can improve and is it worth for me to still be in the program (investing so much $$) if my chances for CMS are low now? Someone please give me some honest, realistic insight. Really nervous and stressed about this and would like to get some perspective since everything is on the line right now.

I was accepted into CMS from BMS with Bs in all of the main courses and As in the certificate courses. I believe my interview went well and I did complete all of the required volunteer hours. So my point is it's very possible. I will say that my UG GPA was also a 3.4 but I did have a MCAT in the 51x range. I only say that because I'm not sure of your sub 500 MCAT...try talking to the BMS advisors and see what their input is. From what I understand if your MCAT is good enough for BMS its good enough for CMS but I'm not sure if that holds true for a sub 500. I would still stick out the program no matter what they say. If you come into a SMP and leave due to academic difficulties I suspect your future med school chances are completely sunk. Say you complete BMS but are not accepted to CMS, you can retake the MCAT and with a higher score and with As and Bs you should be able to gain acceptance elsewhere. Another option would be applying PA or podiatry at Rosalind. I would keep trying to work as hard as you can to maintain a B at the minimum and really work for an A in the upcoming neuroscience and physiology courses.

Thank you so much! Your thoughts really did provide me with a little bit of hope and confidence. I will work really hard to keep up my grades and do well. I was reading some posts on SDN that talked about how people having higher Bs were the ones that usually made it to CMS over people with lower Bs (percentage wise). Do you think that held true to your situation? Like does the percentage matter a lot or is the B just a B?

Unfortunately I don't really know what they think of a low vs a high B. I can say I was in the 85-90 range for all of my classes. But you have a lot of time to make it up too, I performed steadily better on each of the exams as I learned how to study and you can too! I also thought most of the professors and material were more interesting toward the end of CMCB and biochem and that made studying for longs periods a bit more palatable.

Thank you so much! Your thoughts really did provide me with a little bit of hope and confidence. I will work really hard to keep up my grades and do well. I was reading some posts on SDN that talked about how people having higher Bs were the ones that usually made it to CMS over people with lower Bs (percentage wise). Do you think that held true to your situation? Like does the percentage matter a lot or is the B just a B?
idk if things have changed since my year, but the percentages of B's didnt matter, just dont get a C and killlllll your interview, all easier said than done but ...like crocsandsocks said, if you come into BMS smp and leave b/c of grades or have a poor overall grade showing at the end, ur chances of med are null; always have a plan B ! if your mcat is good for bMS its good for CMS, that was told since my year and onwards, and im gonna put faith in saying it holds the same now too, but study hard!

Current CMS and former BMS from last year here. From personal experience, I actually ended Biochem with an 80.9% so that was CLOSE. Like others have said, just focus on getting those Bs and you'll be fine academic-wise.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Can you guys provide feedback about your BMS year thus far?

It's been a long and difficult year. We just found out a few days ago about our CMS decisions. Lot of people got in, and a lot of people didn't. Feels pretty surreal. We started with about 85ish and by my math there are about 45ish people left who made it through to a conditional acceptance. That's not an official number, just my best guess.

Edit: I'd say about 5 people left due to acceptances at other med schools, 15ish didn't make the cut past Biochem & CMCB, and another 15ish didn't make it past the interview.

Can you guys provide feedback about your BMS year thus far?

I've recently met with the program director and heard that the numbers were actually worse than those mentioned above^. The program started off with 87 people and less than 40 people are still there with conditional acceptances. A large chunk of people that didn't make it were actually due to the interview, which was way over Biochem/Chem cut + ones who got accepted elsewhere

I've recently met with the program director and heard that the numbers were actually worse than those mentioned above^. The program started off with 87 people and less than 40 people are still there with conditional acceptances. A large chunk of people that didn't make it were actually due to the interview, which was way over Biochem/Chem cut + ones who got accepted elsewhere

Wow, that's crazy to hear. I knew there weren't a lot of us left, but I didn't know the interview cut down so many people.

Wow, that's crazy to hear. I knew there weren't a lot of us left, but I didn't know the interview cut down so many people.

Yes its crazy! So many people who worked so hard and did much better then me in the program had gotten rejected after the interview. These people are also much better than me in terms of interviewing (they helped me improve so much) and said it went well for them so I'm really not sure how the program decided who gets in

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes its crazy! So many people who worked so hard and did much better then me in the program had gotten rejected after the interview. These people are also much better than me in terms of interviewing (they helped me improve so much) and said it went well for them so I'm really not sure how the program decided who gets in

Maybe MCAT scores? I have low suspicion of uGPA.

Wow, I'm surprised the number is this low. I was worried sick over my interview performance.. You know, always picking apart things I said and wishing I would have worded it differently. Fortunately I did receive a conditional acceptance but for a while there I was worried it could go either way.

Just got an acceptance to the BMS and am very excited! I've been looking up any information I can get about the program including about the location since i'm OOS. Any tips/general knowledge about the program would be appreciated!

It's been a long and difficult year. We just found out a few days ago about our CMS decisions. Lot of people got in, and a lot of people didn't. Feels pretty surreal. We started with about 85ish and by my math there are about 45ish people left who made it through to a conditional acceptance. That's not an official number, just my best guess.

Edit: I'd say about 5 people left due to acceptances at other med schools, 15ish didn't make the cut past Biochem & CMCB, and another 15ish didn't make it past the interview.
45/85 made it into CMS? That’s pretty good odds once you take out the 20 who didn’t interview. Am I right about that? So really 45/65 made it in to CMS?
@westcoastpremed147

45/85 made it into CMS? That’s pretty good odds once you take out the 20 who didn’t interview. Am I right about that? So really 45/65 made it in to CMS?
@westcoastpremed147

Nope. 45 left meaning that this number is the total number people still in classes with and without acceptances. There are even less now as more people dropped out. The number for acceptances is much lower

Nope. 45 left meaning that this number is the total number people still in classes with and without acceptances. There are even less now as more people dropped out. The number for acceptances is much lower
Damm why is this program so bad?? Lol

I dropped out of the BMS program because I got 2 other acceptances I wasn't expecting. Truthfully, its a good shot into medical school and I liked the facilities too. The problem is, I commuted 45 min each way, and it has to be treated like a year of med school, no BS. I liked the actual building and the teachers, they were (mostly) all nice. The pre-clinical month is fantastic. The problem is, there are a lot of "unnecessary" classes and work (social/emotional workshops, an online Masters in public health or other stuff). The exams are very high pressure, screw up one you're basically done. Each exam covers a lot of material. NO practice quizzes, no clicker sessions, 9 long boring lectures in a very odd schedule, and then a massive test with questions unlike anything done in class. Because of the stupid high pace it's at, lectures are fast, no time for questions, practice problems given not at all helpful. So many students cheat with an online database they were using for old tests. Since i didn't do that, well studying became crammed between essays and other stuff. Therefore, the high percentage of people getting in, is true, but it's not an automatic, they worked hard for it. Overall, if you have no other choice, walk away, since you'll waste your money and probably not make it in. If you have other choices, take it and not waste a year. If your other choices aren't MD programs and you really want an MD program (this is probably most of the students there), and you have the time and money to work very hard for an intense year, then it's worth it.

Speculation aside, has anyone actually matriculated from this program into their med school? This is what I think most people want to hear about. Thank you in advance!

Speculation aside, has anyone actually matriculated from this program into their med school? This is what I think most people want to hear about. Thank you in advance!

I personally made it into the med school from BMS this year, as did approximately 40 of my classmates. I don't have an exact number. A couple of the posts I made in this thread still hold true, as does the post above you. It's hard, there's no guarantee, but clearly it's a doable program for a certain percentage of people.

I personally made it into the med school from BMS this year, as did approximately 40 of my classmates. I don't have an exact number. A couple of the posts I made in this thread still hold true, as does the post above you. It's hard, there's no guarantee, but clearly it's a doable program for a certain percentage of people.

Thank you so much Westcoat and congrats!! how many students were enrolled altogether? I got into a great 1 year masters program in global health at a very good institution so I am planning on doing that. But RF BMS has extended their deadline so I was going to apply to see if I get in and decide from there. What would you say are the main differences between you and those who got in from those who wanted to but did not end up matriculating? I really appreciate you taking the time to answer some of these questions as I am sure youre busy gearing up for the real deal. Thank you and congrats again! It is so great to hear these success stories.

Thank you so much Westcoat and congrats!! how many students were enrolled altogether? I got into a great 1 year masters program in global health at a very good institution so I am planning on doing that. But RF BMS has extended their deadline so I was going to apply to see if I get in and decide from there. What would you say are the main differences between you and those who got in from those who wanted to but did not end up matriculating? I really appreciate you taking the time to answer some of these questions as I am sure youre busy gearing up for the real deal. Thank you and congrats again! It is so great to hear these success stories.

At the very start there were about 85 of us, with about 5 dropping out throughout the year due to various acceptances elsewhere. So I'd say about 80 of us started and about half made it through to the end with an MD acceptance. The major difference between me and those who didn't make it? Hard to pin down. So some people didn't make the cut due to grades, either due to not studying hard enough, outside trouble like family issues, or just not being cut out for the program. Others didn't really interview that well and didn't get an acceptance due to that. I don't personally know everyone's story so I'm sure there were some people who had unique cases or likely felt like the program screwed them over. There is a thread posted around the time acceptance decisions came out where some people aired their grievances. Although I don't fully agree with all the opinions there, I think it's worth reading to have a more complete picture of the program rather than just hearing it from someone like me who got into med school from BMS and will therefore have a more positive bias. Here's the link.

At the very start there were about 85 of us, with about 5 dropping out throughout the year due to various acceptances elsewhere. So I'd say about 80 of us started and about half made it through to the end with an MD acceptance. The major difference between me and those who didn't make it? Hard to pin down. So some people didn't make the cut due to grades, either due to not studying hard enough, outside trouble like family issues, or just not being cut out for the program. Others didn't really interview that well and didn't get an acceptance due to that. I don't personally know everyone's story so I'm sure there were some people who had unique cases or likely felt like the program screwed them over. There is a thread posted around the time acceptance decisions came out where some people aired their grievances. Although I don't fully agree with all the opinions there, I think it's worth reading to have a more complete picture of the program rather than just hearing it from someone like me who got into med school from BMS and will therefore have a more positive bias. Here's the link.

I completely agree with what Westcoaststudent said (in all of his/her posts, actually). While the program admins/profs are very straightforward with regard to what you need to do to be successful in the program, we don't know what sorts of reasons have led to our classmates not receiving acceptances.

One factor that may have been an issue for some is the service competency requirement. In keeping with AAMC guidelines, they require everyone to have a certain amount of community service (i.e. nonclinical volunteering) hours and they are a bit pickier about what activities count for this requirement. They require experience(s) where you are interacting directly with the person/people receiving the service or aid or what have you. For example, I was told in mid June 2019 that I would need around 150 more service hours before the end of the year and preferably before the program started. I already had around 300 hrs of volunteering with my local Red Cross chapter but, to be truthful, most of the time there I was not interacting directly with those receiving the aid. So I emailed my local shelter for the homeless and got in with them right away, doing a combination of working in the kitchen/cafeteria making and serving meals as well as helping out in their thrift store. I think this helped me a ton. The work was stressful and even physically demanding at times (I am a small lady so pulling 40-pound pans of food from the heater was a chore lol) but that's what they want to see - that you are willing to get down in the trenches, go outside your comfort zone, and truly help people.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. We talk about the importance of good grades and good interview performance but service is also a big contributor to gaining acceptance to CMS from the BMS program. Some students also had to get more clinical exposure but I'm not as familiar with this as I was a scribe for several years so I fortunately met that requirement, and then some :)

Hey! so I didn't go to the BMS program I went to Rush University for a similar program, they don't have a linkage program. I am applying this cycle to medical school.

I have had several conversations with admissions specialists and they said that MPH or similar programs like the one you are considering in global health don't help your chances. Not that it looks bad but it isn't something admissions committees are looking for. If your goal is MD then you should be taking upper level science courses to prove that you can handle MD courses. I was considering doing a masters of science in Law at Northwestern for my gap year, but when I asked someone about it they said it sounds cool but if I'm doing it for MD school its a waste of time because they don't have science courses. Of course if your GPA is already great then go for it.

Just some food for thought. If you are considering IL then look at Rush University Biotech, Loyola MAMS (linkage) or MSMP (linkage) they are all 9mo programs. Also Dominican University but theirs is a postbacc not masters. I believe Case Western Has one in Ohio. And one at Moorehouse in GA has a linkage program.

I just wanted to share with you some feedback I have gotten. Good luck!