May 17, 2018
Did anyone get an email asking you to do xxx amount of volunteer hours?? I think it’s ridiculous to ask for these hours literally 2 months before class starts

Reactions: Hermioness
Jun 1, 2019
Did anyone get an email asking you to do xxx amount of volunteer hours?? I think it’s ridiculous to ask for these hours literally 2 months before class starts
Yes I did! I work full time so I was wondering how I would fit all of that into my schedule before the classes start. Did they specify what type of volunteer hours for you like clinical or community?

May 17, 2018
Yes I did! I work full time so I was wondering how I would fit all of that into my schedule before the classes start. Did they specify what type of volunteer hours for you like clinical or community?
Same... I work full time as well. So I am not sure how I’ll get these hours. And the email seem liked to do general volunteer not healthcare volunteering for me. What about yours?

Reactions: Hermioness
Feb 14, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Same... I work full time as well. So I am not sure how I’ll get these hours. And the email seem liked to do general volunteer not healthcare volunteering for me. What about yours?
I can't emphasize how important these hours are to be completed. You do need to get this done and some people manage to finish it during the school year. It is better to do so before school so you don't have to worry about it.

Jun 1, 2019
Yep it’s general for me too.... anyone know of any services that are open late and/or on the weekends that will allow for general volunteering? Most of the places I know open by 8 and close by 5

May 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it mandatory to have all these hours completed before the program starts? I am in the same boat as many of you in that I work full-time, and banging out 100-150+ hours seems like a (loonggggggg) stretch before leaving for Chicago

Feb 14, 2018
Status
Yep it’s general for me too.... anyone know of any services that are open late and/or on the weekends that will allow for general volunteering? Most of the places I know open by 8 and close by 5
It depends on your area, you can PM me and I'll share what I know with you if you have a hard time.

Is it mandatory to have all these hours completed before the program starts? I am in the same boat as many of you in that I work full-time, and banging out 100-150+ hours seems like a (loonggggggg) stretch before leaving for Chicago
Recommended to have done before the program starts, but you can finish it during the program. You need to get this done before you send updates to CMS. (You don't want another commitment when you're finishing up cell bio and biochem especially when physio starts in November.)

Phiona

2+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Got an acceptance email today! I am a mixture of surprised, excited, and scared haha. I have a lot of things to figure out now and not a lot of time to do it!

Edit: question for you all. How do you afford tuition and living expenses? I live with my fiance in a house that we own. We feel the best option may be to live separately, with me in on campus housing, but it is so crazy expensive! I would have to take out at least another 15k on top of tuition. I don't even want to think about doing this and not getting into the MD program... Agh! This should be very exciting but feels so stressful!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019
It’s not mandatory to have them done before classes start but you REALLY SHOULD. Unfortunately, I’m sorry to say that now that you’re in BMS, your focus should be on getting into CMS, not working. If all of us are saying get hours done before school starts, I think it’s because we know what we’re talking about in the sense that you do NOT want to be doing these hours when school starts. Biochem and cmcb are hard classes, they are what determine your acceptance into CMS, so you want to do well in them and you don’t want anything compromising your ability to do that. Last summer I was required to do 100-150 clinical AND 100-150 non-clinical, I got them all done between June 4th and August 13th so it is fully doable, you just need to commit to it. In fact, during orientation, the advisers will straight up tell you to quit your job if you’re working so might as well do that now if you don't think you’ll be able to work & finish the hours before classes start. I’m sorry if that sounds mean but if you’re looking for advice on how to get into CMS, then part of that is finishing your hours this summer so that you can devote 100% of your time to studying when classes start.

Oh and however you decide to do your hours, make sure you run it by Yovanna because CMS is specific about what they deem to be acceptable. For example, volunteering with a suicide hotline is NOT acceptable for non-clinical volunteer hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Westcoaststudent95
Jan 4, 2019
Got an acceptance email today! I am a mixture of surprised, excited, and scared haha. I have a lot of things to figure out now and not a lot of time to do it!

Edit: question for you all. How do you afford tuition and living expenses? I live with my fiance in a house that we own. We feel the best option may be to live separately, with me in on campus housing, but it is so crazy expensive! I would have to take out at least another 15k on top of tuition. I don't even want to think about doing this and not getting into the MD program... Agh! This should be very exciting but feels so stressful!
I never went to class like ever and did well.... except for the few mandatory classes that happened like once a week or once every two weeks so you can for sure live with your fiancé at home! The only time it’s a pain to commute is the first 5 weeks of the program when you’re taking foundations of clinical medicine because that class isn’t recorded and she takes attendance but other than that, for the rest of the program I just studied at home and watched this year’s/last years lecture recordings that were the same.

Jan 9, 2019
I never went to class like ever and did well.... except for the few mandatory classes that happened like once a week or once every two weeks so you can for sure live with your fiancé at home! The only time it’s a pain to commute is the first 5 weeks of the program when you’re taking foundations of clinical medicine because that class isn’t recorded and she takes attendance but other than that, for the rest of the program I just studied at home and watched this year’s/last years lecture recordings that were the same.
Do you have any tips on how to study for BMS to be successful?

Jan 9, 2019
Is on campus housing worth it? It is much more expensive than other options so what are the pros and cons to it? Are there any guest restrictions for on campus housing?

Feb 14, 2018
Status
Oh and however you decide to do your hours, make sure you run it by Yovanna because CMS is specific about what they deem to be acceptable. For example, volunteering with a suicide hotline is NOT acceptable for non-clinical volunteer hours.
Definitely run things by Yovanna. The suicide hotline was acceptable for me as non-clinical and made up a bulk of my hours. However, these were not the only things I did to volunteer.

Do you have any tips on how to study for BMS to be successful?
Everyone has a different way of learning and you'll figure this out quickly. I had mine down early on and even when I was lazy toward the end of the year and put in half as much effort I still did relatively well. If you're really unsure, feel free to PM me and I can run you through what I did and see if this works for you.

Is on campus housing worth it? It is much more expensive than other options so what are the pros and cons to it? Are there any guest restrictions for on campus housing?
I live on campus and I loved it. It is slightly more expensive, but I live on my own. Woodlands and on-campus are very similar with on-campus being slightly newer and we are getting in unit washer/dryer this upcoming year (I am excited about that). I would say definitely look and see if you can explore the options. What you see in the pictures online are pretty accurate, it's just a matter of what will feel more like home to you.

Dochopeful13

5+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely run things by Yovanna. The suicide hotline was acceptable for me as non-clinical and made up a bulk of my hours. However, these were not the only things I did to volunteer.

Everyone has a different way of learning and you'll figure this out quickly. I had mine down early on and even when I was lazy toward the end of the year and put in half as much effort I still did relatively well. If you're really unsure, feel free to PM me and I can run you through what I did and see if this works for you.

I live on campus and I loved it. It is slightly more expensive, but I live on my own. Woodlands and on-campus are very similar with on-campus being slightly newer and we are getting in unit washer/dryer this upcoming year (I am excited about that). I would say definitely look and see if you can explore the options. What you see in the pictures online are pretty accurate, it's just a matter of what will feel more like home to you.
Can anyone comment on whether or not your mcat has any barring on whether or not you get into CMS? I have heard that once your in only your BMS grades count. However, I have seen some conflicting info lately

Phiona

2+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh, wow, I had never even thought that was possible! I initially thought on-campus housing would be a my best bet as I have lots of distractions at home anyway, but it is so expensive! I live in SW Michigan so it isn't too incredibly far away, but I also need to give myself the best odds for success. Thanks for giving me another option to consider!

Jan 4, 2019
Oh, wow, I had never even thought that was possible! I initially thought on-campus housing would be a my best bet as I have lots of distractions at home anyway, but it is so expensive! I live in SW Michigan so it isn't too incredibly far away, but I also need to give myself the best odds for success. Thanks for giving me another option to consider!
SW Michigan may be a bit too far because the schedule changes week to week so you may have to be on campus 1x a week but if there’s a snow day or something and they decide to push everything then it may be like 3x, it’s pretty unpredictable. I only lived 30 min away so my commute wasn’t bad.
I know some people do navy housing with like 3 other people and it’s pretty cheap

Jan 4, 2019
Can anyone comment on whether or not your mcat has any barring on whether or not you get into CMS? I have heard that once your in only your BMS grades count. However, I have seen some conflicting info lately
I would say that technically no but CMS never actually accepts everyone, they have stuck around their 60-70% acceptance rate from BMS so say you have the same exact grades as someone else who performed just as well on the interview as you, then maybe mcat score is taken into consideration. They’ve never told us anything straight up like yes or no, they’ll stuff like “CMS looks at your whole application.” At the end of the day though, your grades matter most so if you got an amazing mcat score but you got a C in a class, CMS won’t accept you

Reactions: Dochopeful13
Mar 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
How long after the enrollment confirmation email did you guys receive the email regarding volunteer hours?

Dec 9, 2018
Hey all! Applying late but im soooo confused on the application. I applied to Loyola and their application process is so much simpler. Can any one help on the transcript entering for the prerequisites?? Seems like they are making us to their work. Do I just enter what I think counts?

Mar 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all! Applying late but im soooo confused on the application. I applied to Loyola and their application process is so much simpler. Can any one help on the transcript entering for the prerequisites?? Seems like they are making us to their work. Do I just enter what I think counts?
You need to add all your courses by semester first and once that is complete, you can check off the prereq courses from the list.

Reactions: veronica11290

MrC3PO

5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What is this program's greatest strength and weakness? I've been offered an admission, but I am currently in between this program and another.

For reference:
Submitted, 05/13
Complete, 06/01
Accepted, 06/06

Phiona

2+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
So it appears that, if I want to be considered for the entering c/o 2020 at CMS, I need to submit an AMCAS application this summer?

Should I bother applying to other schools in addition to RFU? I plan on excelling in this program and would be very happy to join the MD program at RFU if I were to get in, but doing med school in Michigan would be nice! I suppose I could reach out to individual schools if that might help.

Jun 11, 2019
Status
Medical Student
BMS graduate entering Chicago medical school this upcoming year. If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to send me a message. Overall, I highly recommend the program. The school has a great community and atmosphere.

Jun 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you mind explaining how you went about getting your housing assignment? Thanks!
Also got my housing assignment last week. Applied for roommate/campus housing through here: Student Housing . I asked about the random roommate/figuring out who roommate was and they said they let you know 30 days prior to lease start. Sounds like random roommate freshman year all over again

Mar 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you mind explaining how you went about getting your housing assignment? Thanks!
there's several housing options and you rank your preferences. I called the student housing office and apparently off campus and on campus housing are both ~5-7 mins walk from campus. I would've done on campus but they don't provide bed/desk anyways so I just went with the Woodlands apartment.

Jun 1, 2019
there's several housing options and you rank your preferences. I called the student housing office and apparently off campus and on campus housing are both ~5-7 mins walk from campus. I would've done on campus but they don't provide bed/desk anyways so I just went with the Woodlands apartment.
Wait so the on campus housing doesn't provide any furniture?

Jun 1, 2019
Wait so the on campus housing doesn't provide any furniture?
Never mind I answered my own question. In case anyone else was wondering this is what you need to bring and what is supplied: Common Questions about On-campus Housing

What should I provide?
Living/Dining Room Furnishings
  • Sofa and/or Chairs
  • Lamps
  • Tables / Chairs
Bedroom Furnishings
  • Bed
  • Dresser
  • Desk
  • Lamps
  • Nightstands
  • Linens
Bathroom Items
  • Towels
  • Shower Curtain
  • Plunger
Utilities
  • Electric Service Via Commonwealth Edison-ComEd (kitchen appliances, A/C, lights)
Kitchen
  • Dishes
  • Garbage Containers
  • Utensils
  • Pots/Pans
Miscellaneous
  • All Personal Items
  • Paper Products (Toilet tissue, paper towel, etc.)

What items does the University supply?
Kitchen
  • Dishwasher
  • Microwave
  • Oven/Range
  • Refrigerator/Freezer
Utilities
  • Gas Heat
  • Wireless Internet Connection
  • Garbage Service
  • Sewer Service
  • Water Service
Window Treatments
  • Vertical blinds on all windows
Overhead Lighting
  • Closets
  • Kitchen
  • Entryway
  • Bathroom

Mar 1, 2019
Status
health admin is way easier than pop health in my opinion. You have to do super simple discussion posts a few times a week and maybe 1 group project/ quarter.

Feb 14, 2018
Status
health admin is way easier than pop health in my opinion. You have to do super simple discussion posts a few times a week and maybe 1 group project/ quarter.
I also agree that we had a lot less to worry about than pop health. I suggest you do what you're interested in. Pop health will exempt you from the epidimeology class. At the end of the day, I don't think it'll make a difference as long as you do well in all your classes.

Jan 4, 2019
How would you compare them, do you know what the workload looks like for Pop Health?
Just a heads up, though, you won’t be learning about “health administration”...
You’ll be learning about “strategic planning and leadership” and “evidence based management” which means writing about your feelings and making your own “strategic plan” lol, and just researching random stuff without guidance, respectively. Then the next block is basically a pop health segment and the last one is organizational behavior which is where you read chapters about the Human Resources department and answer questions about what HR does. So, you really don’t come out with any knowledge regarding Health Administration, in my opinion. On top of that, if you get Elliott as the director for your section, expect to lose points a lot more easily and be confused a lot more often.

At the end of the day, though, whatever you choose, just remember...don’t ask your peers questions in the discussion haha. It’s everyone’s biggest pet peeve when they get a question, so just don’t be that guy/girl. And no, you won’t lose points for not asking questions.

Last edited:

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
Status
Health Admin and Pop Health are both easy. Don't lose any sweat over your certificate track, just choose whatever you think is going to be more interesting to you! It's a negligible time/energy investment compared to the core science curriculum and it's not hard to do well in these courses.