Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jatpat is like Prince Humperdinck from Princess bride who like in the movie is trying to make this thread his own.

Members don't see this ad.

Jatpat is like Prince Humperdinck from Princess bride who like in the movie is trying to make this thread his own.

If I don't understand the reference, can I just sue the movie?

Ok, that's my last post on this thread of non-topic related matters.

To BMS grads, are there any +'s or -'s at the end of letter grades received at RF? just wondering because all you guys talk about are A's and B's and never anything inbetween.

Members don't see this ad :)
??
On another note, I have yet to be accepted, rejected or waitlisted...Hopefully tomorrow they tell me something, even it's bad news. I'm 90% sure I didn't get in, considering all the acceptances have been sent out...Maybe they're waiting to see who accepts the offer before they reject people? Anyone else in a similar position? I'd love to go, but I'd also like to know what my status is.

I am in the same boat. I've called Whitney like 10 times this week but I always get her machine. I'd be surprised if I am accepted after reading somewhere here that the class was pretty much full about a week ago.

??
On another note, I have yet to be accepted, rejected or waitlisted...Hopefully tomorrow they tell me something, even it's bad news. I'm 90% sure I didn't get in, considering all the acceptances have been sent out...Maybe they're waiting to see who accepts the offer before they reject people? Anyone else in a similar position? I'd love to go, but I'd also like to know what my status is.

I am in the same boat. I've called Whitney like 10 times this week but I always get her machine. I'd be surprised if I am accepted after reading somewhere here that the class was pretty much full about a week ago.

??

??

??

Quintuple post! We're calling Gordon today my friend.
I was posting from my phone, I thought it didn't go through the first time so I refreshed a few times, one too many times I guess.

Quick question to former BMSers: How many hours a day are you actually on campus in class for the core classes?

Jatpat and I are friends. I don't randomly call people evil. Also I am NOT suing the school. I am 55,000 dollars in debt plus undergrad loans. I don't have the money to live in my own apartment let alone pay for lawyer fees. I was mostly venting frustration. Most of what I said was overblown.

I guess I just wanted to let people know that there are people such as myself that have been screwed over despite having decent grades. And, the program is not rosy like some of the former BMSers have painted out to be. Its hardwork, especially this year it will be competitive as hell because a lot of high caliber students that would otherwise be going to Boston, Tufts or Gtown are coming here. Also msk86 had a 37 on his MCATs, so he obviously is a smart kid, so take his advice with a grain of salt.

Peace

John

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to this program as well as the Georgetown SMP and BU MAMS program (they have a two year options where you can earn an MPH).

I decided to complete the BU program. I start in August. I also just happen to be living in Boston right now.

I posted this before....

I graduated undergrad (2.8 GPA, crappy!) in three years with an Economics BA that included one year of General Chemistry. ....all with no debt...thankfully.

I graduated May 2008 and immediately began finishing pre-reqs (and additional upper level biology classes) at Harvard Extension School in summer 2008. I am in my last term right now finishing physics. So far my post-bac GPA is 3.8. My MCAT is 32(I had physics in high school and reviewed from there).

I'm applying to MD schools for 2010 and am finishing a SMP program during the 2009-2010 gap year. The second year MPH option at BU would be ideal.

--------
The RFU program looks great. However, the BU and Gtown programs offer a wider array of coursework options.

I'm interested in the rationale behind anyones decision to choose RFU over other progrmams or other programs over RFU.

Thanks.

Jatpat and I are friends. I don't randomly call people evil. Also I am NOT suing the school. I am 55,000 dollars in debt plus undergrad loans. I don't have the money to live in my own apartment let alone pay for lawyer fees. I was mostly venting frustration. Most of what I said was overblown.

I guess I just wanted to let people know that there are people such as myself that have been screwed over despite having decent grades. And, the program is not rosy like some of the former BMSers have painted out to be. Its hardwork, especially this year it will be competitive as hell because a lot of high caliber students that would otherwise be going to Boston, Tufts or Gtown are coming here. Also msk86 had a 37 on his MCATs, so he obviously is a smart kid, so take his advice with a grain of salt.

Peace

John

Nobody said it was easy. Last year was easily the worst year of my life in terms of stress.

i can also comment on this program going there the 2005-2006 academic year when they still had the linkage. the dirty truth of the program is that you do not have ANY of the perks of the med students. i ran into this problem when i was hospitalized due to severe dehydration from a really nasty stomach bug the day of the biochem midterm. unlike the med students i was in class with, i DID NOT have the option to take my exam again or reschedule it despite having a valid medical excuse. basically i missed the b in biochem by one question on the final which was now an inordinate amount of my grade.
i was screwed. i could not get in anywhere because now i had two strikes against me. i had a low gpa and a subpar performance in this program. i was told by numerous adcoms that my chances were basically nil. somehow, someway i was fortunate enough to get into another masters program here in the area and i am kicking its butt. unlike rfu, this one actually takes into account personal situations and lets you rearrange things if you have difficulties.

i will say this much...watch out for sakin's questions they are horrid...absolutely horrid.

Does anyone know if there's a list of textbooks we need?

While I do think most of what John said is exaggerated, there is some truth to what he said. I had the choice of going between CCOM and CMS, I chose CCOM instead.

The location is pretty ghetto. While the south of north chicago is an extremely posh area called Lake Bluff, the north of north chicago, including north chicago itself is like the south side of chicago, extremely rough.

CMS has been in ethics trouble quite a few times. One of things is their trouble with LCME. I do believe John is right about them losing their accredition in 2004, after which they were put on probation for a year. The also got rid of their name, which Finch Univesity of Medicine and Sciences. They changed it to Rosalind Franklin afterwards. They have also been sued quite a few times for such things as sexual harrasement, and animal cruelty.

I don't know anything about the Biomed program, so I won't comment on that.

In conclusion, I chose CCOM because it does not have a troubled past unlike RFUMS and I didn't want to be associated with a school with so many ethics violations.

I guess I am not the only one who think RFUMS is shady as hell.

mommy2three,

Do you mind sharing either in this thread or via PM what grades you received in the BMS program (each class and an overall GPA) plus an MCAT score?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if there's a list of textbooks we need?

I emailed Whitney and she said to wait until orientation to get the best feedback from previous BMSers. I also contacted a couple former BMSers and they recommended classroom notes and a couple Step 1 books.

Hope that helps.

But whoever applies should realize that Rosalind Franklin is one of the most expensive med schools there is. This means that you can't just work hard and hope it pays off. Fifty five thousand dollars is a lot to just hope things work out.

To clarify, the medical school at Rosalind Franklin costs about 40K/year, which is fairly standard for a private medical school.

Last edited:
i can also comment on this program going there the 2005-2006 academic year when they still had the linkage. the dirty truth of the program is that you do not have ANY of the perks of the med students. i ran into this problem when i was hospitalized due to severe dehydration from a really nasty stomach bug the day of the biochem midterm. unlike the med students i was in class with, i DID NOT have the option to take my exam again or reschedule it despite having a valid medical excuse. basically i missed the b in biochem by one question on the final which was now an inordinate amount of my grade.
i was screwed. i could not get in anywhere because now i had two strikes against me. i had a low gpa and a subpar performance in this program. i was told by numerous adcoms that my chances were basically nil. somehow, someway i was fortunate enough to get into another masters program here in the area and i am kicking its butt. unlike rfu, this one actually takes into account personal situations and lets you rearrange things if you have difficulties.

i will say this much...watch out for sakin's questions they are horrid...absolutely horrid.

I'm really sorry to hear your story. I have to say that RFUMS it seems like doesn't really care about its students.
Its quite evident by the way they answer their phones for those of you future BMSers who are trying to reach people. I was thinking about doing another SMP program but I don't think I can burden the costs and take out another educational loan for 50,000 dollars.

I guess I will have to follow my friend Jatpat to the carribbean and hope for the best.

I agree with you on Sackin's questions on being horrid but I think harrison's questions were the trickiest

Hey guys:

I just want to make an annoucement to all the future BMS students. If you guys are interested in getting a head start in the BMS Program, I have all the notes/handouts from last year in pdf format for all the medical school classes.

I also have various books in pdf and compiled html format that I managed to pirate from various sources. Basically everything you will need to memorize to succeed in the program, something that apparently alluded me. The books that I have are: BRS physiology, BRS Embryology, Vander's Renal physiology, West's respiratory physiology, the textbooks for MCB, neuroscience, Biochem, and phys etc. I also have various other reference books that will be able to clarify concepts in cardiovascular phys such as Guyton's. These are all expensive books, which you will be able to get for one low price.

You can have all of this for a low price of $100. PM me if anybody is interested and I can give you further instructions on how to download them from me and pay me.

I gotta figure out a way to pay for those loans I took out

Hey guys:

I just want to make an annoucement to all the future BMS students. If you guys are interested in getting a head start in the BMS Program, I have all the notes/handouts from last year in pdf format for all the medical school classes.

I also have various books in pdf and compiled html format that I managed to pirate from various sources. Basically everything you will need to memorize to succeed in the program, something that apparently alluded me. The books that I have are: BRS physiology, BRS Embryology, Vander's Renal physiology, West's respiratory physiology, the textbooks for MCB, neuroscience, Biochem, and phys etc. I also have various other reference books that will be able to clarify concepts in cardiovascular phys such as Guyton's. These are all expensive books, which you will be able to get for one low price.

You can have all of this for a low price of $100. PM me if anybody is interested and I can give you further instructions on how to download them from me and pay me.

I gotta figure out a way to pay for those loans I took out

Ban in 3...2...1...

Okay I won't sell the pirated books ;), I am selling the RFUMS material with my annoted notes. The pirated books come for free. By the way people are already starting to PM me for this material, so you better get yours in today, might as well start studying your butt off today, then twiddle your thumb for a month and then have panic attacks for the sheer amount of material that will thrown your way after orientation.

Okay I won't sell the pirated books ;), I am selling the RFUMS material with my annoted notes. The pirated books come for free. By the way people are already starting to PM me for this material, so you better get yours in today, might as well start studying your butt off today, then twiddle your thumb for a month and then have panic attacks for the sheer amount of material that will thrown your way after orientation.

Distributing pirated material, for profit or not, is both illegal and prohibited by the SDN TOS.

Every time I get an e-mail from SDN telling me the thread has been updated I hope it's something useful, then I see the post is from John, and I know it can't be.

Greetings Everyone!

I recently decided to attend the BMS program and wonder if anyone is still looking for a roomate. I'm a 23 yo male from northern Michigan and a graduate of Hope College. Like many others searching for roomates, I'm clean, planning on studying my butt off for this program, but enjoy relaxing and having a good time when time permits. I'm not very familiar with the area, but would like to live in the woodlands (although I know space is getting quite limited). Even if you are not interested in the roomate situation, I would appreciate any advice on where I should be searching for an apartment.

Also, although I'm currently pre-med, I have been strongly considering dentistry over the past year. According to the program's website, the BMS program could also be taken for the purposes of improving one's candidacy for dental school. Can anyone comment on pursuing this program for reasons other than medicine?

Thanks

Distributing pirated material, for profit or not, is both illegal and prohibited by the SDN TOS.

Don't even bother with his stuff. You don't want annotated notes to begin with. All the powerpoints etc. are free when you get there and most of the books are useless. I would agree with the step 1 books, though. When you get tired of looking at the same notes before finals those books are a good pick-me-up and contain some additional USMLE questions.

By the way, for those looking for a place in the woodlands I'm moving out of my apartment in about 3 weeks. They can't technically list it as available yet, and I know of 2 other rooms like that will become available next week. They're all 2 bedrooms fyi.

You people need to chill out. I'm just an honest man trying to make a living. And, obviously the notes are free when you get there. But for people that want to start STUDYING now over the summer, is 100 bucks really that much for a future in medicine? I'm not trying to rip people off.

These are the books that I have:

BRS Physiology
BRS Embrology
First Aid
Physiology cases
Vander's Renal Physiology
Guyton's physiology
Road to Usmle Neuroscience
Haine's Atlas for Neuroanatomy
Lippinscotts biochemistry

If you buy all of these at amazon, they will run you in the hundreds of dollars

Hindy: Bro, I thought we were buddy buddy. I even added you as a friend on this thing. Why you gotta stab me in the back like that!???

ALSO FOR THE LAST TIME I AM NOT DISTRIBUITING PIRATED MATERIAL ON HERE, I AM ONLY TALKING ABOUT DISTRIBUTING PIRATED MATERIAL ON HERE. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!! PM ME TO FIND OUT MORE

Good News people I gotta job as trader in dublin, who knew my 790 on the quantitative section of the gre's would be useful someday. If i didn't have that I would be wiping ass at a nursing home because thats what people that fail the BMS program do. So study your buns off!!! :)

Last edited:
mommy2three,

Do you mind sharing either in this thread or via PM what grades you received in the BMS program (each class and an overall GPA) plus an MCAT score?

Thanks.

it was the ap program then but sure. my mcat then was 26 (i have since retaken it and gotten higher).

Fall 2005
GPHY 510A Applied Physiology Bio/Zoology B
MPHY 500A Medical Physiology Bio/Zoology B
MCBH 502 Molecular Cell Biology Bio/Zoology B
Winter 2006
GPHY 510B Applied Physiology Bio/Zoology B
MCBA 504 Embryology Bio/Zoology B
MCBH 505A Medical Biochemistry Biochemistry 2.0 C
MPHY 500B Medical Physiology Bio/Zoology B
GMIC 580 Molecular & Genetic Basis of Disease Bio/Zoology A
Spring 2006 Status:
GR GGCS 710 Computational Analysis Math A
MCBH 508 Genetics Bio/Zoology B
MCBH 505B Medical Biochemistry Biochemistry C
MNSC 501 Medical Neuroscience Bio/Zoology C

the current program i am in i have gotten all a's with two b+'s being my lowest grade.

the moral of the story: one smp does not equal another smp. you have to be comfortable where you are to ensure your best chance at success.

Last edited:
John,

Some advice, if you wish, from a friend. You just told people that you were going to follow me and do caribbean. In the caribbean, you still take medical school classes for which medical school books are useful. You talk about having debts of 55,000 dollars and your attempt to work on paying them off by selling all those books for $100. Who do you think is going to believe that that is the reason you are selling your books? Also, what do you think a reader of this thread is going to think when they see that this person went from two pages of bashing to an attempt at helping future RFUMS students out for a minimal fee?

For those that are interested in buying his books. I wouldn't buy all of them, but some are good. I use the First Aid all the time along with a majority of my school. Guyton's physiology is probably too much detail, but it is great if you don't understand something in particular. I just used the pdf. For physio, I would recommed either the BRS Physio or Costanzo's Physiology. Costanzo is the author for both, one is just more detailed than the other. The Lippincott Biochemistry is probably the book most worth buying though. The First Aid is good, but I'd rather have a new one. With a new one, you can take your own notes in it and use it as a comprehensive study tool when it comes to studying for a final or the Step.

On a personal note: MSK86, you are really annoying the **** out of me. If i knew who you were I would personally fly over to beat the living crap out of you

Don't give a ****. I'm here giving people info on the program, not to be a bitter *******.

Thanks, mommy2three.

From the looks of it, you must have barely missed the suspected 3.0 GPA (medical school classess only) cut-off for automatic admission into CMS from the AP program.

It was unfortunate that they weren't more forgiving considering your situation. Glad to hear that you're doing much better in your new SMP though. Thanks again and good luck.

Also, thanks msk86 and JatPat for trying to steer this thread back to being useful (as Hindiana_Jones puts it) for current and future BMSers.

You talk about having debts of 55,000 dollars and your attempt to work on paying them off by selling all those books for $100. Who do you think is going to believe that that is the reason you are selling your books?

For those that are interested in buying his books. I wouldn't buy all of them, but some are good. I use the First Aid all the time along with a majority of my school. Guyton's physiology is probably too much detail, but it is great if you don't understand something in particular. I just used the pdf. For physio, I would recommed either the BRS Physio or Costanzo's Physiology. Costanzo is the author for both, one is just more detailed than the other. The Lippincott Biochemistry is probably the book most worth buying though. The First Aid is good, but I'd rather have a new one. With a new one, you can take your own notes in it and use it as a comprehensive study tool when it comes to studying for a final or the Step.

He's not selling the actual books:

I also have various books in pdf and compiled html format that I managed to pirate from various sources.

Since he's only selling electronic copies, he can sell them to 10 different people. Speaking of "shady as hell"...

For the sake of current BMSers and future applicants, I thought that I should share a little background on "john Ragster" given to me by a former classmate of his. This statement was not untruthfully fabricated and can be verified by searching for postings made by "john Ragster" on SDN. Note that his childish character is consistent throughout.

john Ragster's former BMS classmate said:
Hey, I just wanted to message you personally to address this ******* that's been posting today. I asked around and found out who he is. Let me tell you something: he was one of the most unprofessional pricks I've ever seen. I never actually spoke to him because he was so obnoxious I knew it wasn't worth my breath. This kid was CONSTANTLY talking in class, mocking the teachers, talking about how he smokes up when he gets home, etc.

Even if you have all the scores in the world, they do tell you one thing that this idiot didn't pay attention to. On the first day, they tell us that PROFESSIONALISM MATTERS. Every day you interact with professors and everybody talks. Therefore, every day you're at school is like an interview. If you act like an idiot, you will be treated like one, and that's exactly what this guy deserved.

Hopefully John will stop spamming this thread.

Thanks, mommy2three.

From the looks of it, you must have barely missed the suspected 3.0 GPA (medical school classess only) cut-off for automatic admission into CMS from the AP program.

It was unfortunate that they weren't more forgiving considering your situation. Glad to hear that you're doing much better in your new SMP though. Thanks again and good luck.

i missed it by the skin of my teeth.

thanks for your well wishes.

i told my story to simply say beware...you will not have the resources at your fingertips should something unexpected happen. and no recourse to do so....recourses that are available to the ms-1 sitting in the seat next to you.

i sincerely wish you all only the best.

MSK 86:
Why don't you PM me your name and we can sort this out. I still have my apartment in the woodlands, maybe we can figure this out man to man.

Also, your posts are inconsistent regarding your MCAT score, so I think you are one big fat liar.

As for the books, I thought Guyton's was especially helpful in clarifying some of the cardiovascular physiology. Vander's Renal Physiology was also helpful because, you'll find Peterson's slides to be very vague. I also used the BRS a lot, especially when it came down to cramming before the final exams.

Last edited:
I don't know if 28 is "high" for BMSers, but it certainly isn't going to hurt you. There were plenty of people with really low mcats. I'm pretty sure the cutoff is 25 to get into the program, but other than that it can only help you. I had a 37 going in and Dean Ross (you'll get to know him next year...really cool guy) said the 37 would help me, but if you're in the BMS program they really couldn't care less about your mcat or GPA unless it helps your case. It's really about physio, MCB, biochem, and neuro. If you do well in all those classes, you're golden. It doesn't matter if you get accepted with a 2.5 undergrad gpa. If you rock those classes, you'll be fine.

I can't remember my mcat exactly...took it sophomore year of college....but I think it was 12V 13B 12P.

Sure, I'm one big fat liar, inconsistent, whatever. To the future BMSers I talked to Dr. McCormack today and he said he is in the process of making his lectures into powerpoints. Might sound stupid, but his notes were archaic prior to this. If you have D2L access you should check them out before class starts.

I didn't apply to any other schools this time around. The only thing wrong with my application was really the mcat, so I didn't want to reapply to other schools without improving my score. Realistically I could've gotten into probably 1 or 2 more schools, but I was content with CMS.

The online material is SUPER easy. You basically post 3 days a week and respond to 1-2 questions. At the end of each class you have a paper or a project that doesn't really require that much effort. So, basically, while the clinical research people are busting their butts at their non-medical classes and actually having to attend class, the HCAM people have more free time to spend on the classes that matter.

YEAH YOU ARE ONE BIG FAT LIAR
Why don't you share your name with us...Seriously I really would like to know who you are. Especially since your talking so much **** about me. And, I'm pretty sure I am one of the few people who ended up with an A in Neuroscience, I know for a fact, there weren't that many people As in Neuroscience in the BMS class because the BMS class average was low compared to the M1 class in medical Neuroscience, a C+.

On another note: Mccormick's lectures with the archaic notes were really good because he forced you to reason yourself. it really is a shame that he is bowing to pressure from a bunch of whinning *******s M1s and BMSers like msk86 who are only good at memorizing, and not good at using their reasoning faculties.

In MSK86's case: Not very good at lying either.

Last edited:
I want to let you guys know that I am gonna stop posting/defending my posts.

I'll just make one last post and that'll be the end of it.

I thought you were finished posting in this thread. We've all seen your complaints and I'm sorry for what happened to you but your negativity and sales schemes are not really helpful for anyone. Thanks

I'm just letting people know how much of an evil institution Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science is. It seems that there is mass cognitive dissonace on this thread with failed premeds appearing to think that they will be salvaged by this program when in fact they will go down in dirt with a 55,000 dollar debt like have.

The fact that I was selling my stuff does not mean that I was endorsing the program, it only means that I was trying to make a buck to pay down my debt.

I'm just letting people know how much of an evil institution Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science is. It seems that there is mass cognitive dissonace on this thread with failed premeds appearing to think that they will be salvaged by this program when in fact they will go down in dirt with a 55,000 dollar debt like have.
Maybe you're right. Maybe RFUMS is an evil institution out to scam premeds. We'll see if your anti-RFUMS army gains any new recruits after the 2010 BMS Program. For now, I think it's safe to say that you're just butthurt that you didn't get into CMS.

Off topic, but, do you mind sharing why you even considered the BMS Program if you think that CMS is the worst US allopathic medical school?

The fact that I was selling my stuff does not mean that I was endorsing the program, it only means that I was trying to make a buck to pay down my debt.
As if $100 x (less than 10) will really make a big dent into the $55,000 you now owe.

Come on now John...

Rosalind Franklin is Evil??

The bottom line is that Rosalind Franklin consistently lets 30-40 BMS students into its M1 class on an annual basis and there are statistics to prove it. You have even acknowledged in your previous posts that 70% of the students that make it through the whole BMS year get into CMS. The most important thing to realize for anyone reading this thread, is that these 30-40 students were at one point all sub-par allopathic hopefuls that otherwise stood a very small chance, if any at all, at gaining entry into an American MD program. Some of these students had sub 25 MCATS. Some even with sub 3.0 ugGPAs. This program is a diamond in the rough for people who truly believe they have what it takes to make it in medical school, but haven't proved it thus far in their academic career.

BUT

And this is a HUGE BUT... do not take Johns words on this thread as mere angry banter. He is one of the remaining 30% of BMS grads who, for whatever reason (be it the 3.2 GPA he received in his BMS med courses or possibly something personal, we'll never know) did not gain acceptance to CMS. John worked his butt off last year, did reasonably well for a BMS student by anyones standards, and still was not chosen for CMS. THIS IS A SIMPLE FACT OF THE PROGRAM. 30% OF BMS GRADS WILL NOT MAKE THE CUT.

Personally, what happened to John does not surprise me. Everyone going into this program must know that you need to get A's and B's in your medical school courses if you want to matriculate into CMS. John got one C in a med course that lowered his BMS medGPA just enough for him to not matriculate. Let John be a clear cut example of a BMSer who did well, but not well enough.

Lastly, John your anger is understood and some may argue that it is justified. You claim your initial intentions for posting on this thread were to warn prospective students of the difficulty of this program. You have done that. But now is seems as though you post here simply to vent your anger and attack people personally. SDN is a place for like-minded people to communicate and educate. With that said, John, please stop posting angry and threatening messages on this forum so those of us that have legitimate questions/concerns about the RFBMS program can be free of your distraction. I am sorry you had a bad experience and i wish the best for you in the future.

Now let that be the end of it.

Just wanted to pop in here and correct one stat given by DrBO. This was given by the program director:

"On average the medical school accepts around 60 BMS students per year. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But 60 is the average."

Whitney called me back and confirmed that all 122 seats were taken, that I was on "a waiting list" and that if my status changed she would send me an e-mail. I know someone else posted that there was a waiting list, but do you guys have any idea how likely it is to get off the wait list? Depends on how many they want in their class, right? The tone of her voice was not 'hey just hang in there', it was more, 'your goose is cooked" . I'm registered for graduate school classes at my state school and registered to retake the MCAT, but I'd rather just go to RFUMS.

Last edited: