Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can find my details on page three of this thread.
I gave up my spot in favor of the Georgetown SMP. I know the BMS may be a more "sure" program, but through much discernment I think Georgetown is a better option for me.

I wish you all the best. Work hard and you will get there somehow sometime in the future. Don't give up. Never doubt the power of mentioning how CMS would be your first choice because you can be an M1A and do other things that year...etc

Again, good luck everyone. Go kick some medical school ass. MURDER IT! If you think you have it hard, must remember your curriculum will only be a fraction of the real medical students!

Members don't see this ad.

You can find my details on page three of this thread.
I gave up my spot in favor of the Georgetown SMP. I know the BMS may be a more "sure" program, but through much discernment I think Georgetown is a better option for me.

I wish you all the best. Work hard and you will get there somehow sometime in the future. Don't give up. Never doubt the power of mentioning how CMS would be your first choice because you can be an M1A and do other things that year...etc

Again, good luck everyone. Go kick some medical school ass. MURDER IT! If you think you have it hard, must remember your curriculum will only be a fraction of the real medical students!

You made a wise choice! Good luck in your pursuit of a career in medicine!

If your gonna work your ass off, might as well go to a program that is more reputable and has a more reputable medical school associated with it. And, Rosalind Franklin is not a sure thing. People are not considering the fact that 20 to 25 people that dropped out after getting a C either first or second quarter. The program started out with almost 98 people

I wish i was one of those people that dropped out after second quarter.

By the way, I will continue to post as this is a public forum. I don't care if you like it or not. If you don't want to heed my advice, then don't. I'm doing it for the sake of people that are NOT *******s unlike all of you. However, I will try to stay on topic and not be negative or not let my negative emotions get in the way or try out any new sales schemes LOL. I will continue to remind people that the actual % is 40-50% rather than the 70% that agents of this evil institution have continued to throw upon you naive premeds.

-John R.

Hey John,

You do provide some insight for others. Thank you.

Wow. That many people really dropped out? Could you please give us an idea how many began and finished (meaning did not quit) during the 2008-2009 year.

Good luck with your future plans. Are you considering the St. George's University? Maybe Australia. I know Ireland (http://www.atlanticbridge.com) is a popular alternative for Canadians. They leave seats for North Americans. It's very expensive however. VERY EXPENSIVE.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who wants true numbers and stats, just contact Whitney, Gordon, or Scott. RFU keeps data on the BMS program.

It is true that typically 20-25 students don't finish the program for various reasons as stated before, i.e. personal, academic, medical, etc. Since most BMSers apply during the BMS year, some probably drop out after gaining acceptance to another medical school.

What's important is that of the 65-80 who do graduate, roughly 70-80% are accepted into CMS for the following fall. Just make sure you maintain A's and B's and you should be golden. Think about it, it's only four medical school classes with a bunch of filler (easy A's???) classes. The medical students are probably doing twice the workload so BMS students really have no excuses for not being able to maintain at least an average grade (B).

what kinda GPA and MCAT are you guys getting in with this program. I'm asking because my GPA is not very good, subpar 3.1 GPA and haven't taken the mcat yet :(:

You made a wise choice! Good luck in your pursuit of a career in medicine!

If your gonna work your ass off, might as well go to a program that is more reputable and has a more reputable medical school associated with it. And, Rosalind Franklin is not a sure thing. People are not considering the fact that 20 to 25 people that dropped out after getting a C either first or second quarter. The program started out with almost 98 people

I wish i was one of those people that dropped out after second quarter.

By the way, I will continue to post as this is a public forum. I don't care if you like it or not. If you don't want to heed my advice, then don't. I'm doing it for the sake of people that are NOT *******s unlike all of you. However, I will try to stay on topic and not be negative or not let my negative emotions get in the way or try out any new sales schemes LOL. I will continue to remind people that the actual % is 40-50% rather than the 70% that agents of this evil institution have continued to throw upon you naive premeds.

-John R.

Man this kid's got a vendetta against the school or something. You know what I was in the BMS program as well and I didn't make it. I'm currently on the waitlist as well but I don't hate the school or anything for it.

what kinda GPA and MCAT are you guys getting in with this program. I'm asking because my GPA is not very good, subpar 3.1 GPA and haven't taken the mcat yet :(:

It's getting more competitive each year. It seems like they care more about your GPA than your MCAT, so do your best to get your overall GPA above a 3.0 before you apply. And for any school or any program, the higher your MCAT, the better.

In response to some personal queries that I got I will make a general post.

I don't give out grade information but I can tell you I know of people that got in with one C and straight Bs. Overall, the program could be better. They pretty much throw you into a pool with sharks and you are expected to swim out alive. They give you various tips on how to study etc. But i found those to be useless.

Good luck with the program if you decide to attend.

The school overall is not bad at all. The faculty are outstanding. Dr. McCormick is especially outstanding and probably the best teacher I have ever had in my entire life. And, if you ask for help, you will get it. I think they are two people that run a study skills/test taking workshop. I think Scott Garland is one of them. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND attending those. Obviously, most people didn't get in because of poor grades/low MCAT scores, so somewhere along the way, you didn't develop those skills as your successful colleages.

Since this year they have accepted more students. I don't expect the 70% number to stand. They're accredited for 185 people. 70% of 122 is approximately 85 people. Thats a 1/3rd of the class. Assuming 20 people drop out, 70 people.

John is right about 20-25 people dropping out. I think 1 girl got in over the course of the program into another medical school, and another nontraditional student left because he had some family issues. Most people dropped out either because they received an F A BIG NO NO because they automatically get thrown out or because they received a C in a class or two. A C in Medical Phys, you might as well drop cause your not getting in.

My personal story: I missed getting in by 4 questions on one of the exams. Thus got a lower grade in the class.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY AND BE PREPARE TO BUST ASS

Thanks for your feedback on the program.

It's getting more competitive each year. It seems like they care more about your GPA than your MCAT, so do your best to get your overall GPA above a 3.0 before you apply. And for any school or any program, the higher your MCAT, the better.

Does anyone know if there are pre dental students in RFU BMS program?

Speaking of shady as hell:

Something recently came to light. I know of a person who was in the BMS program prior to me who recently got in. He had Cs in biochemistry and neuroscience. His parents donated thousands of dollars to this school the year after and he did research for a year and he got in this year

I'm glad I got rejected from this school, I think it might be good to be not associated with such a corrupt evil institution that spits on the hard work of ordinary students such as myself who do not have rich parents. It is blessing in disguise.

With these new finding that have come to light, I am proceeding with my lawsuit. I plan on retiring after I bankrupt this piece of **** institution.

Even if I can't bankrupt this institution, the LCME will take a harder look at these allegations, and take its accredition away, which will at the very least cause a severe public relations debacle.

Speaking of shady as hell:

Something recently came to light. I know of a person who was in the BMS program prior to me who recently got in. He had Cs in biochemistry and neuroscience. His parents donated thousands of dollars to this school the year after and he did research for a year and he got in this year

I'm glad I got rejected from this school, I think it might be good to be not associated with such a corrupt evil institution that spits on the hard work of ordinary students such as myself who do not have rich parents. It is blessing in disguise.

With these new finding that have come to light, I am proceeding with my lawsuit. I plan on retiring after I bankrupt this piece of **** institution.

Even if I can't bankrupt this institution, the LCME will take a harder look at these allegations, and take its accredition away, which will at the very least cause a severe public relations debacle.

Did you happen to look at the trib this weekend? Seeing as you went to illinois, I wouldn't complain about under-qualified students getting in. This isn't something isolated to cms. It happens at every school that's worth a damn in this country. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens everywhere.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-clout-schools-gecko-17-jul17,0,5289165.story

Did you happen to look at the trib this weekend? Seeing as you went to illinois, I wouldn't complain about under-qualified students getting in. This isn't something isolated to cms. It happens at every school that's worth a damn in this country. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens everywhere.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-clout-schools-gecko-17-jul17,0,5289165.story

John, please stop posting to this thread.It's obvious you just want attention. It's a shame the University of Illinois allowed under qualified students in, but I agree this happens anywhere, whether it's through a legacy system, bribes or a clout list. There was an article in the trib about how uic med 'buckled' under pressure from a trustee to admit someone, but if you read the article it states the person was denied admission on 3 different occasions, and that b/c they use a large admissions committee no one person can determine whether someone will get in. Good luck to everyone starting the program this fall!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sue the undergraduate divisions of Harvard and Yale. It happen(ed)s there too.:D

As someone who is also from illinois as well, this is ****ing illinois, our former governor's in jail and the next one will soon be as well, this kinda **** happens all the time here...get over it.

Well...that means i will atleast be able to recoup some of my money. Everytime i get a notice from the bank about my 50,000 dollar debt, i get an anxiety attack.

And, obviously, RFUMS is a pretty shaddy school, you don't just get put on probation for nothing.

I've already sent LCME, Pat Fitzgerald's office, and Fox News Chicago investigative services an email.

Hopefully, I get some kind of response.

Well...that means i will atleast be able to recoup some of my money. Everytime i get a notice from the bank about my 50,000 dollar debt, i get an anxiety attack.

And, obviously, RFUMS is a pretty shaddy school, you don't just get put on probation for nothing.

I've already sent LCME, Pat Fitzgerald's office, and Fox News Chicago investigative services an email.

Hopefully, I get some kind of response.

After I inquired with some friends, I actually do know who you are talking about. I think he researched with Dr. Flores. I don't know anything about any donation but then again I didn't know him too well.

PM me your email address or aim/gchat, preferably the latter, I want to explore this further with you. I do know for a fact that he had a C in Med Biochem and a C in Med Neuroscience and he got in this year. I always thought that he got in because he did research with Rasgado-Flores for a year and I was thinking about doing something similar if this didn't work out for me.

Last edited:
Nice post Dr. BO!! People need to chill' out and spew facts, not hate!! Wow, I haven't checked this forum for months -- it really blew up!! Best of luck to everyone entering into the BMS program this year!! You're all in for a wild and fun filled ride; but don't fret too much -- just do what YOU need to do to get the grades, and the rest will work itself out according to your efforts -- as those of us who busted our balls to get straight A's in the program received our acceptances into CMS much sooner...

Whitney called me back and confirmed that all 122 seats were taken, that I was on "a waiting list" and that if my status changed she would send me an e-mail.

So, how does everyone feel about the class size change from 100 students to 122?

Simple mathematics reveal that this in an additional $770,000 that the school will pocket. Wouldn't that suck if there was a limit on how many BMS students can be accepted into Chicago Medical School? Keep in mind that the typical CMS class size is only 185 students. What happens if all 122 students get 4.0 in the BMS program with a 35 MCAT?

Can anyone confirm if this will impact our chances of getting into CMS?

So, how does everyone feel about the class size change from 100 students to 122?

Simple mathematics reveal that this in an additional $770,000 that the school will pocket. Wouldn't that suck if there was a limit on how many BMS students can be accepted into Chicago Medical School? Keep in mind that the typical CMS class size is only 185 students. What happens if all 122 students get 4.0 in the BMS program with a 35 MCAT?

Can anyone confirm if this will impact our chances of getting into CMS?

Are 122 accepted or actually attending? I remember last year there were 7 or 8 people that just didn't show up on the first day (a couple of them decided to do the programs at Rush/Loyola instead). Either way, don't worry about it. As john emphasized, there's going to be plenty of people that drop out or go to other schools. If everybody were to plow through with a 4.0, they would definitely have a situation on their hands. However, that's about a snowball's chance in hell. Getting a 4.0 in this program is near impossible. As john can attest to, even if you get A's in some big classes that doesn't guarantee you a spot. Just keep your head down and focus on doing the best you can.

hm... yea, 122 students, that's not really what I want to hear, lol. Although, it is true that people may drop out, the fact that there is still a waitlist is also concerning.. i'm sure if people drop in the first few days of the term, people on the waitlist may have a chance to enroll in the program. However, i'm thinking that not EVERYONE's goal is to get into CMS. I'm sure a good number in the program have other schools as their primary choice. Also, the BMS program is ideal for any health profession, so many students may be trying for podiatry or another field (hopefully). I'm sure this program is going to be very competitive and tough.however, earlier word on the thread was that a 3.6+ was a "golden ticket" into the medical school and now i'm hearing that even great grades may not get you in. Either way, i plan on busting my ass and aiming for that 4 oh.

A friend of mine who was in the BMS program went to campus yesterday and asked Whitney about those on the waiting list. She said that they accepted more students this year because they anticipate 20 people not showing up during orientation. If people do not show up they will call people on the waitlist. I don't know if they will call enough people to bring the number back to 122 or just to 100.So for us on the waitlist, if there is an acceptance, it will be a week before school starts.

I think you should also keep in mind that people drop out during the program. Last year there were only 70 that finished? I know at least 15 people had a 4.0 and made it into CMS. Also, people who finished the program in spring 2007 and were not accepted for fall 2007 were admitted for fall 2008.

So all in all it doesn't seem like 122 people will be starting, and for sure 122 won't be finishing. Good luck to all of you in the program, I hope you all do your best!:luck::luck:

Out of curiousity, did anyone experience administrative issues when applying to the BMS program, such as lost or missing transcripts, etc...?

The admissions office is telling me that two of my transcripts are :rolleyes: "missing." :rolleyes: That's hard to believe because in the same written requests, I asked that the transcripts be sent to two masters programs in addition to RFU's; the other two masters programs received the transcripts in a timely fashion, and both transcript-issuing institutions confirmed that the transcripts were indeed mailed to RFU.

I hope my case is an isolated one.

floopy,

I had no issues. Did you miss the deadline because your transcripts were "missing"?

Also, be sure to let them know if your name has changed (i.e. maiden name, etc). This could lead to them having issues matching your transcripts to your application.

2010 BMSers: Are you guys pumped or what? I am!

floopy,

Also double check the address you are sending to. They didn't receive one of my transcripts because i put 333 green bay rd instead of 3333 green bay rd. Who knows...

And yes... i am pumped... nervous, but pumped

--

Last edited:
Just wanted to pop in here and correct one stat given by DrBO. This was given by the program director:

"On average the medical school accepts around 60 BMS students per year. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But 60 is the average."

53 acceptances from the BMS program exactly this year according to McCormick. Before that it was 45 in 2008.

Are these acceptances all from BMS students with no gap year?

Are these acceptances all from BMS students with no gap year?

There is never a gap year. I'm fairly certain that if you don't make it into CMS the year following the BMS program, you are no longer included in the stats. You will be applying as a regular applicant.

I say this because you are only offered the guaranteed interview once (during the same year as the BMS program) and not another, even if you decide against applying during the BMS year. Hope that makes sense.

53 acceptances from the BMS program exactly this year according to McCormick. Before that it was 45 in 2008.

I should have updated this stat. After several more email exchanges with the program director, he corrected his original statement. He meant to say that typically 60% of BMS students (including those that DNF) are accepted into CMS. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

53/95 = 55.8% of 2009 BMS class got into CMS. NOTE: 25-30 students DNF (see page 1 of this thread for the number of grads).

53/65-70 = 75.7%-81.5% of 2009 BMS Graduates got into CMS.

Not too shabby if you ask me. :)

There is never a gap year. I'm fairly certain that if you don't make it into CMS the year following the BMS program, you are no longer included in the stats. You will be applying as a regular applicant.

I say this because you are only offered the guaranteed interview once (during the same year as the BMS program) and not another, even if you decide against applying during the BMS year. Hope that makes sense.

hm.. the gaurantee interview actually makes a lot of sense. In that case, the statistics sound very appealing. definitely pumped for this program!:D

Why is it that a large number of people from the RFU SMP get into CMS? Does CMS have trouble filling seats without their SMP (BMS) program? This seems unusual.

BTW, I finished undergrad in three years and decided to go to BU MAMS. I also just happen to be living in Boston with family so it works out.

Good luck everyone!

If any of you chose this program over another program, please share your reasoning. I'm really not here to bash programs...after all...we are all supbar applicants to medical school (in some way).....just interested in opinions.

Thanks!

I don't think any US medical school has trouble filling their MD class. I think CMS takes care of their own and once your in to RFU and do well, they like to reward that. That is kind of how the real world works too...companies hire from within for upper level positions...most people want to hire someone they know that has worked hard to get there rather than some stranger. That is just my opinion though

Anthropologist,

In response to your question, I am one of the people that chose another program (BU MAMS) over the RFU program.

I was accepted to this program as well as the Georgetown SMP and BU MAMS program (they have a two year options where you can earn an MPH).

I decided to complete the BU program...after leaning towards Gtown for a while.

I start in August. I also just happen to be living in Boston right now.

I posted this before....

I graduated undergrad (2.8 GPA, crappy!) in three years with an Economics BA that included one year of General Chemistry. ....all with no debt...thankfully.

I graduated May 2008 and immediately began finishing pre-reqs (and additional upper level biology classes) at Harvard Extension School in summer 2008. I am in my last term right now finishing physics. So far my post-bac GPA is 3.8. My MCAT is 32(I had physics in high school and reviewed from there).

I'm applying to MD schools for 2010 and am finishing a SMP program during the 2009-2010 gap year. The second year MPH option at BU would be ideal.
--------------------------

I really like how the RFU program has "practical" components such as the clinical bioanalysis track. However, I emailed/contacted about 20 medical school admissions offices and consistently heard positive remarks regarding Gtown and BU. Nevertheless, the RFU program still contains MD coursework.

I chose BU over RFU because of:

1.) Location...I already live in Boston with family.
2.) More medical school classes.
3.) Choice of "hard science" electives
4.) Reputation

----------------------------

Also, there isn't much unusual with CMS taking BMS people. At BU, about 30 people from the MAMS program (after two years) are accepted into the MD program. Also, Harvard Medical School's entering class typically contains ~20 percent Harvard College graduates.

:Dof course people like us who need an SMP boost will ever get into Harvard:D

It's just like companies rewarding internal people.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

I noticed that these questions have not been answered yet. Will former BMSers be so kind as to give us some answers?

I read a post on another thread about how there is a significant "grade deflation" in this program and how other med schools don't recognize how difficult it is to get all As and Bs. I think this was from the 07-08 class.
My questions are:

1. For those finishing the program this cycle, do you agree with this said grade deflation?

2. Would you still recommend applying broadly even though CMS is where most BMSers end up going?

3. Do you know of any med schools that have consistently accepted BMS students?

Any answers/opinions to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed that these questions have not been answered yet. Will former BMSers be so kind as to give us some answers?

1. Yes, significant grade deflation. If you **** up, you're done. The program doesn't have a reputation like Gtown/boston. The kids that end up going there, and don't get into their medical school, end up most of the time getting in somewhere else. Not the case with this medical school.2. Yes. Apply broadly.3. NopeIn sum, if you succeed, you get to go to a ****ty medical school, and if you **** up, you bitch about it on SDN.

I know someone who was in the BMS program for 2007-08 and was accepted to another medical school but decided to stay at CMS.​

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Any information on the women's health track?

Hey guys!
Just to let you know. I have just received an acceptance letter from RFMS. I have already settled and decided to go to EVMS's program so I will be declining the offer! I hope this will help anyone who is still on the waitlist.

Hey people,

I know orientation week is in just a few days, but I just gave up my spot. I'm 21 and just finished undergrad (fast track) and will be doing the BU MAMS program instead. It offers more medical school courses and "hard science electives." I hope someone gets my spot!

GOOD LUCK PEOPLE. STUDY HARD.

Oh, I live in CT just next door to Boston MA.

Hey MCAT murderer, I also finished undergrad on a fast track(three years) and chose the BU MAMS over RFUMS BMS. The RFU BMS is very tempting, but happen to live in Boston and am more impressed by BU MAMS due to more medical school classes, hard science electives, and the two year MPH option. It was really hard to decide betweem the two!

hey everyone-- i'll be giving up my spot too..

i hope one of you waitlisters get it. good luck to everyone this year!

Looks like 3 spots opened up.
Just found out I am on a waiting list. Anyone else here on it? And is RFU still your top choice?

EDIT: When's orientation? When do classes start?

orientation: August 11th-August 14th

classes: August 17th

Does this program admit people with GPAs<3.0?

Justing wondering.